Pixar Planet Awards

What needs to be established IMHO is a panel, rather than voting.

But then how does one establish this panel? Voting? Maybe an initial vote and some wisdom from The Brain Trust might help establish a panel, and then the panel decide who gets the awards.

we users will wait until some sort of nomination device is set up…

So bawpcwpn, us users suggest to you our nominations, but you in the end make the final decision?

same here TSS…couldn’t make it out fully. But it did sound something like that…

Thanks for the quick feedback, Pixar Planeteers! :mrgreen: I’m loving all of the suggestions for categories, especially the Best Signatures and Avatars, and the Lifetime Achievement Award, but all the suggestions are great! Here are a few more…

• Best Thread
  • Silliest Thread
  • Funniest Member
  • Member You Would Most Like to Meet in Person
  • Most Informative Member
  • Quickest Respondent
  • Most Popular Upcoming Pixar Article

I’m just throwing them out there, not sure which ones will make it to the final list. We could also have the ‘First Annual Pixar Planet Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence’ like in The Simpsons. ;-p Only joking.

I really like Al Bob’s idea of having little icons (similar to the usergroup icons) as little placards for the winner(s). I’m not sure what the prizes will be, maybe a graphic award or something. As for the difference between ‘Best’ and ‘Favourite’, yeah, I guess ‘Favourite’ does have connotations with popularity, which isn’t what we want… what do other users think?

For the Avatars and Signatures Awards, we could either have the top 5 of each category, or an award with just one winner where people can submit one of their own siggies or avvies for consideration that they have worn this year, and they will be posted either in this thread or the sig and avvie thread and people vote from them.

Yeah, that’s a good idea.

Straight into voting, I think… but I’m not sure. If we think there will be too many nominations, we could make a shortlist.

Yes, that’s true. I was hoping it wouldn’t become a popularity contest… we can only tell the members to vote considerately and really think about who best fits the description of that award, rather than just voting for their friend(s). I think there should be a rule like ‘no campaigning’ (as in, no banners in their siggies, avatars or outright telling people to vote for them.)

Well, with the awards (as with any awards) people will generally be on their best behaviour around award time so they get noticed, but the only thing I can do is urge members to think more broadly about who they are voting for and think about how members have contributed over this year. But with the creative awards, well, that’s just a matter of personal taste. People will be able to see whether you are bumping your posts (increasing post count?) either because of the awards, or because they really do want to contribute… members will be able to see through that. Thanks for the feedback, though.

I wasn’t thinking of so much a panel of more of the members get to decide… I can see the merit in having a panel, though. But for me, that would take away the whole point of these awards which is the recognition of members’ contribution to these forums as voted by the members themselves. Perhaps we could have it as a members vote this time around and see how that goes, and next year we could vote for a panel, if need be.

If you were worried about me being the only one taking the votes, I was thinking of getting another member to recieve votes as well, so that it is more fair and there is less chance of corruption because even I don’t like the idea of one person taking votes. And then at the end of the voting period we will tally up our votes and add them together and then announce the winners. But I haven’t thought it through, yet - I only came up with the idea yesterday. =)

And I don’t think you were saying that The Brain Trust should make up all of the panel, but maybe as an award we could have The Brain Trust give out an award for which member they think contributed the most over this year, or whatever.

A Brain Trust Seal of Approval

so can we get the list up so we can start the nominations??

I’m happy that you’re eager, Al-bob, but this thread isn’t even 24 hours old yet… We’ve still got a bit to sort out with the awards. :wink:

Like what…i’m all ready to help out.

Actually what I was trying to get across was that the panel was made up of members decided on by both the PP members and The Brain Trust, like Dancing with the Stars where the Judges vote count towards 50% and the home viewers votes count to 50% of that couples final score, and thus who makes it onto the panel.

But yes, I think a general consensus would be best. Maybe nominations are submitted, and say if there are 100 people nominated for one award, the people with the 5 most amount of nominations for that category would be nominated. Then they are voted upon.

And for each nomination, there is a little Bio about the person and their contribution to PP. It’s not currently possible on PP, but it’d be good to have a posting minimum to vote on such polls, as we don’t want members who haven’t been around much contributing to the forums to be voting for someone, as they probably don’t know each individual as well as they could if they were more active. Just a thought really.

Paragraph 1-Maybe we should start nominating “judges”

I nominate-TSS, and Dash

Paragraph 2- Absolutely but how will we do the nominations in order??

Paragraph 3-Good idea…but the bio could get hard due to people who actually haven’t done their bio. Theirs would be blank. And also for people who don’t write well. Posting minnimum would be good but i think posts per day is more important.
Example;
Al-Bob-6.79 posts/day
TSS-21.69
Pewpewpew5522 (1025th member)-2.75 posts per day

this system should work better…unless your like me (didn’t start posting for 115 days)

I second Al-Bob’s idea of having awards under you name, such as the usergroup icons. Figuring out who and how many people will be nominated is something to puzzle about.

The judges idea is great, too, but if we have the members nominate people then what would the judges’ responsibilities be? To count up the votes for the nominees? And if so, would they pick who wins or would the amount of votes matter…? Dancing with the Stars rules could work out… but I’m still uneasy about how it would play out.

Just my two cents.

wow “my” idea about awards under names is really catching on. I don’t really know how i started that one. The only place i could derive that from was eggxpert. There they places pics like our group pics instead of awards under names.

It’s a great idea but would require some web work…

This is an awesome idea! The winner for each thing could probably do a little thank you speech :laughing: :exclamation:

I don’t think so…speech indeed.

Well, what should happen is that every winner gets revealed first, then we can post our tiny “speech”.

Sweet…so now that its been 24 hours can we get started soon…

Don’t rush Al-Bob. This is still a fresh idea. I am sure things are still getting sorted and worked out right now.

is there any way i can help??

Well, not at the moment. Right now, I think we are just thinking up some namination categories and a way to figure out the voting.

we??? are you meeting with someone