WALL-E / Watchmen Mashup Trailer

I recently finished this, and thought I’d post it here. I first got this concept in mind to work on after going to see TDK in IMAX during its second run a month or so ago, and being reminded how cool the original Watchmen teaser and its music were.

So I decided to do a Mashup trailer with footage from WALL-E, my favourite Pixar film by far.

youtube.com/watch?v=B-Ka8DnUVEQ&fmt=22

Ha! Man, that was great. Despite the contrast in thematic material, the dark tones of Watchman, combined with that of the dramatic content in WALL•E, makes for a rather stunning result. The careful editing, timing, and additional, hand-made sequences that were incorporated and meshed into the piece only adds to the fluidity of the film, and it’s these elements that strengthen it and make it all the more impeccable.

Fantastic work! :smiley:

– Mitch

Wonderful! The juxtaposition of the two films works really well in your piece and makes it quite captivating. Your choice of clips and the timing are great. Everything works nicely together.

Excellent work! Keep it up! :smiley:

Nice job! One of my my favorite trailer mash-ups.

Dude, that was really nicely done. Perfectly timed and editted as well. Keep it up.;

Thanks for all the comments guys!

And thanks to the Pixar Planet admins for putting it up on the blog… I’m really surprised at the number of views this has garnered in just a few days. The first fanvid I uploaded (a Requiem for a Tower version of WALL-E) took a bit over 3 months to make it up to 2500 views, although this video is now about to surpass that in barely any time at all :slight_smile:

I’ve already commented this on the Wall-E Forum, but I’ll say it again: This is truly AWESOME!
Congrats on the mention on the Pixar Planet blog, you earned it! :slight_smile:

Dude, to have a video like that posted up on PP is quite an accomplishment. Congrats on the honor.

Thanks again :wink:

I’m fairly new to the site, so I’m curious if anyone can tell me; do Pixar staff/employees tend to peruse this site at all? I got an interesting PM on youtube to do with the video, and I wouldn’t really have considered the possibility of it being genuine at all except for the fact the video was posted on the blog news section, and at the time I got the PM it was still the most recent thing there.

AtomicGreymon - You’re most welcome! I actually found out about your video via the Upcoming Pixar website. It’s unusual for fan-made creations on Pixar Planet to be mentioned on that particular blog, so you definitely received a rare honor/nod of appreciation. :wink:

Concerning your question: It is known for a fact that Andrew Stanton frequents the Upcoming Pixar website; one of the members of Pixar Planet is a Pixar Animation Studios staff member, although he’s only ever posted five times (his name is MacDaddy); another member of Pixar Planet, who goes by the (screen) name of miafka, is involved in the orchestral business, and has assisted in playing music for several Pixar films; and I think that John Lasseter listens to Radio Pixar, which is Pixar Planet’s official radio station.

The radio station (Radio Pixar) has lain dormant for some time, but several members of this site are working on resurrecting it, just to let you know.

– Mitch

You are welcome AtomicGremon. I can’t wait to see more vids from you.

Well, that could explain the PM I got :smiley:

AtomicGreymon - Ha! It might. I take it that it was a pretty official private message… :wink:

– Mitch

“An interesting PM”? You’ve got me all curious already! Don’t tell me you got a personal compliment from Mr Awesome Sauce? I’m so jealous! :smiley:

Join the club TDIT. Join the club.

Hard to say for sure, of course, as there are people who like to impersonate celebrities on the internet (though I can’t see the point of doing so for a private message). That’s how it was signed, though, and given that MItch say its a known fact he frequents the blog site, I’m going to assume the PM is genuine. Which is quite cool; though I’m sure it never would’ve happened if the vid hadn’t been on Upcoming Pixar. Something I can’t thank Pixar Planet for enough; that was just awesome :open_mouth:

The account was created the same day (and hour) as I received the PM, and from checking tonight nobody’s logged into it since. So I assume it was created just to send that PM.

AtomicGreymon - Woah. So, was the signature in the private message signed as “Andrew Stanton”, or something along those lines? As you said, it’s difficult to tell whether or not the note was genuine, but the very fact that that individual only signed on once (at least for that day) gets one thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a real Pixarian. Heh.

Pixar Planet member rachelcakes1985 is the one who told me that Andrew Stanton frequents the blog, and I assume that she discovered that fact via one of the Upcoming Pixar writers, so I took her word for it. I’m not surprised that Pixarians visit the Upcoming Pixar blog, and, quite possibly, even the forum board, since they’re just as geek-y about their films as we are. :wink: :smiley:

– Mitch

Yeah, pretty much:

In looking at the profile now, the last sign-in was a week ago, so nobody’s signed in since the day I got the PM.

I’m just glad he wasn’t annoyed that making an HD fanvid like that clearly necessitated bypassing the Blu-Ray’s copy protection, lol… but I suppose it’s more the corporate side that gets nitpicky about those things.

There’s also a shot from BURN-E in there, and the various text bits I made used footage from the 3-D Set Fly-throughs (which was a Blu-Ray exlcusive, I think). I figured the new Walt Disney logo would be far too difficult to customize at all, but the older one was pretty easy to re-create and alter. And fortunately, I already had the Charlemagne font on my system for the Pixar logo; so I just clipped Luxo Jr. out of the standard one, recoloured him a bit to make Shadow Lux and it was done.

And, somewhat ironically, the Watchmen title font is in fact Futura… the same font used for the BNL logo.

That’s surreal…

So that’s how you produced/obtained the fly-around sequences throughout your video. I was under the impression that you rendered them yourself, as I had no idea that the WALL•E Blu-Ray disc had that feature. Although, if you’d created fly-around shots such as that then you’d probably be at Pixar and not here. Heh.

– Mitch

I’d hope so, lol. Anybody that could animate like that from home is worthy of doing it professionally. I’d love to work at Pixar, and I’m seriously considering trying to get into editing and that whole industry as a permanent career, however as I’ve never been much of an illustrator I seriously doubt I’d make a good animator. I did do some color correction on several of the scenes (including all of the fly-through interludes), because some of them were just too bright to fit in very well with the tone.

And yeah, the Blu-Ray had several features not available on the DVD; most notably the fly-throughs and a set of still image galleries. And it also included some international versions of WALL-E theatrical trailers. I’ve made many of the gallery images available as screenshots on the WALL-E forum:

[url]http://walleforum.com/index.php?topic=3181.0[/url]