Up - Crowd Report!

It’s that time of year again. :smiley:

How was Pixar’s latest feature film received in YOUR cinema session? Which cinema session did you go to (IMAX, gold class, or a dinky little family-owned theatre)? Was the theatre packed to the rafters, or only a few people scattered about? What trailers were shown and what did the audience think of the Pixar trailer and Partly Cloudy?

Remember to use spoiler tags, be careful about giving your exact location of cinemas near you, don’t eat too much popcorn and candy, and have fun giving your crowd report. =)

This should be a sticky :slight_smile:

Am actually kinda worried about its box office. I hope people come out and support it, but I’m not feeling the hype for it just among the average joe.

The theater was about 1/5 full. Not as much laughing and awwing as I expected, but it was there. 2 kids in the whole theater, everyone else was couples.

I didn’t see it, but my cousin saw it, he said there weren’t as many people as he thought there’d be.

I’m thinkin it’s because alot of people know today is the day it comes out, so they would go a few days after it’s out because they know it will be packed with people.

So probably half the people who knew this were thinking that, so they all decided to go see it later.

Same thing happened with Wall-E at the theater I always go to. And a month later it was completely full.

Hopefully it’s the same case for UP!!! :slight_smile:

Also

[spoil]He mentioned that everyone cried several times during the movie…[/spoil]

My theatre didn’t show it in 3D :frowning: It doesn’t have the capability for the projectors. That’s what I get for living in almost the middle of nowhere.

There were people of all ages. It wasn’t packed for our town is small, but probably about 1/3 of our small theatre was filled. I could hear laughter and aww’s at the sweet spots, but they weren’t super loud or anything.

The TS3 trailer wasn’t shown!!! Aaaah!!! :angry:

The audience loved Partly Cloudy! It was soooo funny! I’m not gonna give away anything about that.

About the popcorn, I think I ate a pound of it. At the theatres, I’m addicted to popcorn. :laughing:

To spoil or not to spoil? That is the question. I’ll wait till more people see it. I don’t wanna spoil everything for our Pixar fans from other countries. :wink:

I saw it in 3D. It was very full, and mostly adults, except for a class on a field trip or something.

There was a little girl in front of me who got scared at the serious moments.

I brought 8 of my friends and 7 of them cried. :laughing:

There was lots of laughter from the audience too.

When we left the theatre there was a huge line-up for the next showing. I guess it is popular in my city.

The theater was mostly full (a few spare seats, but there weren’t any clusters of empty seats left) and the reaction was so enthusiastic I often couldn’t hear what the characters were saying over the laughter. It was annoying on occasion but overall contributed to the experience. Oh, and there was of course a big applause at the end. :slight_smile:

I went to a matinee 2D screening of the show. As a result, the crowd was pretty small and the theatre was hall full. A lot of young toddlers were there. A few were kinda too loud that it almost annoyed me, but they quieted down a few minutes into the movie.

I just got back from the theater about 45 minutes ago. The movie was cute and heartwarming. I really enjoyed it. I was also happy that the toy story 3 trailer showed. So for those who are wondering about Toy Story 3, yup they show it. X3

I didn’t see a pixar short before the movie though. I’m guessing it’s cause it’s opening day. When me and my boyfriend went to see it, we drove near buffalo new york, then waited to get the tickets and finally after we ate, we tried hard to find good seats, but it was packed with people and little kids; so we settled for some side seats for a good view. We went to see it in 3d and we along with everyone in the theater enjoyed themselves. At first everyone was like “oooooo look at the 3d” cause they told us to put it on to see some previews (which included TS3), then when the movie was finally on, we loved it.

Everyone laughed at the movie, especially with Doug the dog and Kevin. :slight_smile: They loved Doug and Kevin. At the end of the movie everyone clapped and cheered. They were indeed happy.

The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that I was so into the movie that I didn’t keep an eye out for the Pixar Easter Eggs! T_T Maaaan… epic sad face.

But the good thing is my friend didn’t want to see it because he isn’t the type to watch animated movies at theaters, but once my boyfriend and I told him about it, he got excited for it. So we might take him to see it a little later on. :stuck_out_tongue:

I went to see the noon 3D showing today and there were about 15 people in my theater. They had showings scheduled to start every 30-45 minutes, so I think the crowd was greatly spread out. We did NOT have Partly Cloudy or the Toy Story 3 teaser play before the movie, which was disappointing. At the beginning of the movie I heard a lot of little kids asking their parents what was going on. They seemed to be very confused about the [spoil]miscarriage and the death of Ellie.[/spoil] At the end of the movie everyone seemed to be pretty happy, though.

Well, my theater was having Up fever. A lot of people had pre-ordered tickets and there was quite a line at the front office involving a lot of people too young for the other opening films that week. Up Window paint has been gracing the theater doors for at least 2 weeks now and was still there and probably will be for a bit.

There was a lot of laughing, and a few annoying kids (and a teen with less voice control than me, the aspergers kid) talking a few times it was quiet when it needed to be. A lot of laughing.

A lot of people left during the credits though. NO. BAD MOVIEGOERS. DON’T DO THAT IN A PIXAR FILM, DANGIT. I tried to get people clapping, like I normally do. It worked.

I saw it in 2D at my local theater. There was a wide range of people there, but the theater wasn’t too full. Maybe 1/4 full. I suspect more to go during the matinees tomorrow though. There was a Planet 51, Ice Age 3, and Princess and the Frog trailer shown before as well as Partly Cloudy. During Up, I heard a lot of laughter from the crowd. Don’t know how they reacted to the more serious parts though as I was up towards the front. And as I was leaving, I caught some positive comments coming from the other members of the audience.

I saw it in 2D with a small group of friends. It was decently full in the theater, but enough room for people to find room. The crowd reacted very well to the funny and emotional and serious parts of the movie. I cried so HARD during the end of the Carl/Ellie montage and so did most…even KIDS were sobbing!. The movie got applause in certain parts and TONS of “Awwww’s!” especially when Kevin and Russell first meet and when they see her babies. After the movie ended, people clapped and cheered! And many stayed to watch the credits which showed pictures of Carl and Russell doing various activities. I really was happy with the overall turnout. Especially because when we left, we noticed a HUGE line for Up for the 8:00 showing and one for the 3D showing…and it was like, only 6:30…I think it’ll do well box office wise.

Totally gonna see it in 3D soon and fanart will be imminent. :smiley:

For me there wasn’t that many people. It was mainly toddlers, but there were some older couples and some teen-ish Pixar fans (they cheered when they saw the PP truck).

My only complaint about the crowd is that people were clapping whenever Carl and Russell got out of an action sequence alive. And some kid was repeating what Carl was saying for the entire beginning of the film.

My theater was packed! Within the first seconds of opening the doors, the theater was already practically full! Everybody always laughed when they were supposed to and cried when there was sad parts. When I got out of the theater, My mom said she was talking to an employee and ALL showings of Up were sold out! Even the one at midnight! :smiley: I was amazed!

Hey! I have aspergers too!
But anyway, I got the most AWWWSS in my audience when Dug said Because I love you

I saw it twice, so I have two crowd reports:

The first was an advanced screening, with a lot of families. It didn’t get as big of a response as I had hoped for, but maybe that’s just because the people who they invited to the advanced screening weren’t necessarily big Pixar fans.

The second was the midnight showing on opening day. There were about a hundred people, mostly college aged, some 20-somethings, and a handful of middle schoolers (my sister and her friends). The crowd was incredibly responsive to Up. I was surrounded by the purest Pixar fans you could imagine it was great.

Two trips today (Saturday afternoon), to a very nice multiplex somewhere between Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

2D showing that started during the noon hour: The theatre (one of the larger stadiums in the 'plex) was only about 1/3 full, and mostly families with preschool or grade school age kids, but they were a good audience and really seemed to enjoy the movie. We got the trailer for Princess & the Frog, but no Toy Story 3. We got “Partly Cloudy,” which went over well, although I would still rank my favorites, Presto and One Man Band, over it.

3D showing that started mid-afternoon: This showing (in an auditorium identical to the 2D above) was probably a good 3/4 full. This time, we got the Toy Story trailer instead of Princess & Frog, and we got Partly Cloudy again. Honestly, I was less aware of audience reactions this time (I have issues with 3D, mentioned elsewhere, and the glasses were probably affecting my hearing :wink: ), but again, people seemed to enjoy it. Still plenty of families, but I was much more aware of teens and adults at the 3D showing. There was one small child behind me who was very upset about some of the scary dog pack scenes, but finally calmed down. There was some scattered applause at the end of the 3D showing.

My mom was at work the first time I saw it. She wants to go. I agreed :stuck_out_tongue: