Haunt's pic fics and half finished thoughts

Wow, foreign territory for me here on the forums. I’m not a very big fic writer. Most of my ventures die slow, lingering deaths. But when ever I draw something it seems there’s always a story behind it somewhere. I just wanted a place to put both. If I do more of this format they will more than likely just be drabbles with a pic attached. This one just ended up getting away from me.
…oy.

Labled PG for adults drinking adult drinks :slight_smile:

Writers note: This fic is part of a larger Incredibles AU (alternate universe). The time period is more modern (i.e. now) than the movie. It is also heavily mixed in with DA comic characters and is influenced by both DC and Marvel.
It also takes place 3 years after my first major fic “Return of the Glory Days” and just under a year after my second “Teen Titans: United.” If anything confusing the readers, which I’m sure there will be, please feel free to ask me about past events and back stories

The Supers Ball
It went by many names: the Powers Party, the Heroes Gala, the Great Good Masquerade.
It was a night of sequined gowns and black ties. A chance for the world’s finest to step out and spruce up. It was an exclusive gathering, but was not held in spite of those who could not attend. It was held in honor of those who risked life and limb to protect the world.

Most simply called it the Supers Ball.

It was part of a week long gathering that was a highlight for many. There were conferences, panel, games, and parties. Many supers from around the country and even around the world came to the event. Those who did not show did so either out of their own volition or because they were lottery selected to stay “on duty” as some would put it. Their absence this year guaranteed their attendance the following.

Of all the events held, The Supers Ball was the only one folks just had to show up for. You could skip the panels, or choose not to enter the games (some supers just weren’t that competitive), but hardly any chose willingly to miss the Ball.

The four supers entered to ballroom shortly after the commencement speech by the chair of the committee. The guests had separated off into loose groups, dotted the hall with splashed of color. While most of the men wore tuxedos, many of the women were dressed in gowns and dresses similar to their costume colors. This had been the tradition for decades. Almost every adult wore a mask of some sort, also a throwback from the Glory Days.

Few noticed the arrival of the little group, and it was fine by Helen. She had been slightly apprehensive for her husband’s sake. Four years prior during the gathering for the reinstatement of the super, Mr. Incredible had been greeted with both respect and animosity. Many still resented his part in the Supers ban all those years ago.

Walking past some people he knew, Bob nodded a greeting. When they nodded back, Helen unclenched her shoulders. She turned to Honey - who was walking arm in arm with her husband Lucius - to comment on some of the gowns. They continued to converse on the subject as their husbands wanderer off to the drink tables.

As Bob handed Helen her drink, he pointed out a huge super. “We’re going over to catch up with Behemoth and Hawker. You remember Behemoth don’t you? He’s the one that beat me in the pull at the ’76 games.”

Helen fixed the collar of his tux before taking her drink. “Of course dear. Have fun.”

Bob turned to Lucius. “I wonder of that old thick skull remembers how I got back at him in ’77.” The pair chuckled as they walked of to greet their acquaintances from the old glory days.

Helen and Honey looked after their husbands. Helen sipped from her glass and commented dryly, “I almost missed those days we used to compete in the Games.”

Honey smirked, still gazing at her husband’s receding back. “Don’t lie Helen. You DO miss competing. We both do. You just don’t want to admit it.” She looked over sardonically. “Can’t say I miss the days after the Games.”

Helen rolled her eyes towards the ceilings. “Oh don’t remind me! I never felt so sore in my life. Even when the ban was lifted I never got as achy as I did back then. Remember when I over-extended during the jump and swing?

“Lord yes!” Honey laughed. “You were so scared your arm would never retract back to normal. You had to wrap it around you waist.” They both burst into a fit of laughter. Honey took a deep breath as Helen wiped away a tear that threatened to roll down her cheek. Honey stiffened. “Oh no” she muttered to Helen, looking past her shoulder. “Speaking of a pain.” Helen followed her gaze and groaned.

Walking through the crowd with daughter in tow was a super they could have gone without seeing. Helen scrunched her brows as she looked around for an escape route. “Too late”, Honey said. “She’s spotted us now.”

Her name was Mystiva, and she was not a person one could easily tolerate over long periods. She was pretentious, loud, and above all had a very high opinion of herself. She had came from long line of wealthy supers and her family had lived comfortably well during the years of the ban. Mystiva never had to lift a finger to support herself. As a result, she had a haughty air about her tonight.

Helen forced a smile as Mystiva called out to them. “Mrs. Incredible! Hornet! How good to see you.” She embraced both women, who returned the hug half heartedly.

“Mystiva. How…lovely to see you again…here.” Honey managed to say. Her eyes darted about, looking to any excuse to leave. Failing, she smiled weakly. “And how are things going…for you?”

Mystiva slammed her hand down on Hornets shoulder, causing her to almost lose her handbag. “They are just great! I just recently decided to get back into the Super business. And it has just been a blast.”

Just in time to make it to the Supers Ball, thought Honey. She glanced at Helen and could tell she was thinking the same.

Mystiva turned to her daughter. “Sweetie, why don’t you go get mummy a drink, hm? It seems mummy’s friends have started without her."

“Yes, mum.” Her daughter curtsies to her, and Mystiva turned back to the two women. Helen and Honey didn’t fail to notice the disdainful look the girl gave them before she trounced off. Helen’s eyes narrowed as Honey laid a hand on her arm, trying to calm her. Mystiva continued as if nothing had happened.

“Ah, my little Cicada. She’s been doing just magnificently. Have you seen her on the news? She caught the two serial purse snatchers the other day.”

Helen feigned interest, but continued looking for an out. “I can’t say that I have.”

Mystiva waved a hand dismissively. “Ah well. I’m sure they’ll show it again.” She leaned in closer to her captive audience as though she was sharing a juicy secret. “That’s not the only thing she’s catching. We’ve had several young gentlemen coming to call.” She straightened up. “But what can I say. She takes after her mother I guess.” She giggled girlishly.

She turned her attention on Honey, who by this point was staring dull-eyed into space. “So Hornet. I heard you daughter has left the city and is part of some group near the coast.” Mystiva tilted her head in a sympathetic manner. “So is she still beating up the boys or is she dating them now? Ah, thank you my dear.” Cicada had return with her and her mother’s drink. Mystiva once again turned her back to the women, therefore missing Honey’s murderous advance. It was Helen’s turn to cool her friend’s irritation. Hornet was well known for her short temper and feisty nature, and Mystiva had been inches from being on the receiving end of her biting tongue.

By the time Mystiva turned back, Honey had regained her composure, but her eyes still glinted dangerously. “She’s doing just fine. Thank. You.” she said through a forced smile.

“How nice.” Swiftly dismissing Honey and moved on to Helen. “And what about your little wallflower? Does she still hide in social settings.” She glanced around in a humorous fashion, whispering. “Is she here right now?” She threw her head back and had a good laugh. Right on cue Cicada joined in on her mother’s merriment. Mystiva looked a little surprised when she notice the Honey and Helen had not joined them.

Helen could hear Honey’s teeth grinding together. She smiled coldly at Mystiva. “Actually she’s not here yet. But they will be soon. With their dates.” She shared a knowing glance with Honey.

“Well that’s just lovely.” She planted her hands on her daughter’s shoulders and turned away, preparing to move on to her next victims. “We’ll just have to keep an eye out for them.” As they moved off, Helen and Honey could still hear their conversation, which they not even try to keep private.

“I hope that brute Harlequin remembers to put a muzzle on whatever beast she brought for a date.” Cicada snickered. Her mother tapped her lightly. “Now now, dear. That’s not very nice.” She leaned in closer to her daughter’s ear. “Though I bet little invisi-girl’s date wishes he could vanish.” They both laughed. Once again, it was by Helen’s good grace that they did not find themselves with a face full of Hornet.

The pair had only moved off a little ways when from behind them they heard Helen loudly comment. “Oh look Hornet. There they are.” Mystiva and Cicada whirled around almost gleefully in anticipation, positive what they would see was nothing short of a train wreck.

They were completely and undeniably wrong.

Neither would have recognized the two girls if not for Helen’s announcement. The four teens made a glamorous site. The girls - wearing slim, floor-length evening dresses – walked arm-in-arm with the male consorts, both of whom wore handsome white jacketed tuxs. In a brazen display none of them wore masks. A sign of the changing trends among young supers.

They walked at a leisurely pace through the crowd until Violet spotted her mother. The teens moved to greet them. “You look beautiful tonight,” said Helen as she embraced her eldest with a light kiss to the cheek. She then hugged Violet’s tall consort. “Tempest, you look handsome. And contacts! Let me guess. Edna?”

The somber teen (whose eyes were naturally entirely jet black) nodded. “Yes ma’am. We thought tonight would be a good time to try them. They’re itchy though.” He rubbed at the corner of one eye.
Helen smiled and turned to Ricochet, Lydia’s date. He did a sweeping bow at the waist and flashed a charming smile. “Ladies.”

Honey batted him playfully on the arm. “Away with you, boy. Harle, keep him in order.”

Lydia smirked, looking so much like her mother. “He’ll behave.” She tugged at his arm. "C’mon. Let’s get drinks.”

As the little group moved off Helen called after them. “And please don’t forget to say hello to you fathers.” Without looking back Lydia waved a gloved hand in acknowledgment.

In their wake they left behind two aghast supers, and two very proud mothers. As Mystiva and Cicada stared slack jawed at the departing quartet, Helen and Honey celebrated their quiet victory.

Alright, so here’s how this whole disaster happened. I’m a story person, but not a writer. At least not a good one. I’m more adapt to drawing and boarding my stories. Anyways, the other night I had a huge urge to sit down and write and for some reason one of my Incredibles story lines popped up. So that’s what I wrote. And then I felt like some parts were too weak, so I supplemented colored doodles in.

This is kind of my last huzzah of the year really. School is fast approaching and time consuming project like this will be few and far between. Still, I might use these are breaks from animation. It was kind of nice to get it off my chest.

Peace out
~Haunt~

*Sorry about the BG’s. Didn’t really feel like drawing a gajillion supers.
** I have always want to draw Vi in that dress. For like, years!
*** Forgot to mention that Harlequin and Ricochet are copyrighted to me. <3

Wow, Haunt, not only is your artwork impressive, but your writing is commendable too! Your style of prose reminds me of a romance writer for some reason, very elegant and sophisticated. Has a very ‘feminine’ vibe to it (I mean that in a good way) with all the deeper nuances and characterisations to the girls. My writing (and some of the guys like TSS) tends to focus on the action scenes (although we do have ‘quieter’ chapters), but yours feels very… stylish. I don’t know, maybe because it’s this particular story (and I have to read your other more action-oriented fics to get a better feel), but needless to say, I enjoyed what I read!

I like how you interpreted Lucius’ term of endearment for his wife in the movie to be her actual name, and how you gave Super names to your OCs. Your description of the Supers Ball is very detailed, and I like how you make your ‘baddies’ (although they are more annoying than evil in this story) so good to hate! And their ‘comeuppance’ was brilliant! :smiley:

Wonderful pics to go along with it. Feels like a mix between a children’s book and a graphic novel (again, I mean this comment with the best intentions). I like the costumes and the poses. My favourite pics were the ones where Helen held back Honey (and how you had a ilttle arrow explaining Cicada’s choice of beverage), and the two mothers’ ‘victory gesture’ at the end. :laughing:

Is this a one-off, or are you going to continue this story? And where can I find your earlier fanfics, I’d like to read more! Great way to ‘sign off’ before heading back to the grind of year-end revisions! :slight_smile:

^ Wow thanks TDIT! I was actually kind of nervous about posting writing here. I’m no where near as confident with it as I am with my artwork. Your feedback definitely made me feel better.
Like you, I do like to work on action-y battle scenes. Mine aren’t always the most ahh, kid friendly though. ^^; So I don’t write (draw for that matter) those that often. But choreographing them. Oh man is that fun.
The baddies were probably the most fun to write for this time around. I was looking for any reason for Honey to wipe the smug off of Mystiva’s face.
I’m not too sure what I’m going to do with the rest of the supers ball. There are a lot of little separate story lines that all fit with it. Most of them are most focused on the teens: BumbleBee and Harlequin trying to keep their younger teammates(i.e. Dash and the twins) out of trouble, Vi standing up to bully she met years ago, the Games, ect. They’re all just tumbling around in my head. Along with about 20 other mini adventures with the younger group.

As for the other two main storylines, I’m afraid those those are the one that fell by the way side. Return of the Glory days was your standard Syndrome’s revenge type story: Synnie comes back, Synnie get his butt kicked, Synnie go away for good. That one I never really wrote. Still have all the dialogue and time line, they’re just not written down.
Teen Titans: United is partially written. I started writing it over 4 years ago. I have three chapters posted and a forth 90% finished on my hdd. The story would probably run another five or six chapters. The main reason I never posted them here is because they’re way heavy on the titans side of things. There’s a lot of back story and mythology that fans of the DC comics and animated series would know. And since this forum is pixar based… But if you want I can link the posted chapters and if you or others want I could try to piece it back together. (I never forget how my stories go :wink: )
Thanks again for the nice feedback!
~Haunt~

Wow Haunt, that was a really nice story you have posted up here. I find it very unique because you provided illustrations for all of us. That was really cool. i was particularly interested in the characters, the newer ones to be exact.

You do put detail in your descriptions. I really like that. it made me feel like I was there. To be honest, i thought I heard music while reading this story.

You did a fabulous job on this one Haunt. You deserve a pat on the back and a cookie. :laughing: I wish to read more from you.

TSS: Thanks! I hope to write more during school. A way to break off from the senior stress.
It’s funny you should mention the music thing. It was this song link that triggered the idea for the Supers Ball. I was humming it off and on while I worked on the art.

Ok, so perhaps I have my new idea for what to put next in this thread. I think I’m going to do some flash stuff. I’d love to do an animatic for a sequence I wrote to Incredits. But that’s a seven minute track. I’ll probably work on it intermittently as a break from my senior film.
In the meantime I want to work on short 3 - 6 second animations of characters. If it pretains to a story I’ll post it here. But I also want to ask you guys for ideas in a new thread. They wouldn’t be done any time soon, but I’d pick at them every once in a while.
Would anyone want to suggest little ideas?

(And of course I’ll write again one day)

~Haunt~