Strange Toy Story Novel adaption

I have this Novel adaption from I think 1996, but its really strange. The scenes which were taken out are still in it. for example. Anyone see that deleted scene of Buzz on the drill bit before the scene where Sid burns woody’s head? and the extended version of the scene where woody is trapped under the milk crate? those are present. also, “pump boy” (car with hands) is replaced with an army tank with an easter bunny head. The begining scene with “one eyed bart” plays out different as well. molly takes potato head from Andy and Andy tries to get him back in one piece. This has to be an earlier version of the story seeing as cut scenes are acctually in it. what do you guys think?

That does this novel look like? are there any pictures inside? about how long is it?
but yes, that sounds like the earlier incarnation of the movie.

I still wish they would have left the extended crate scene in the movie. even john Lasseter says he wishes he would add it back given the chance. I brought this up to Lee on twitter to point out that they had the perfect opportunity with the double feature to put it back in, but he says he doubts they even still have that data archived.
So it sounds like that rough clip is all that’s left of it.

But I would think it wouldn’t be too hard to re animate that same scene. mabye even re record the dialogue. if they still have the data they used to re render the movie (for 3d) they should still have the data required to do so.

But didn’t they put the extended crate scene on the DVD in finished animation?

Animation yes, but it was lacking a few rendering pases I think for a bit more shading. its definetly more complete than the sid scene, but the crate scene footage was low quality, they would need it to match the rest of of the movie.

Also there was one shot of sid as he almost wakes up that clearly wasnt complete.

The book has pictures, but none from the parts not in the final film. its from “the wonderful world of disney on ABC” even though the extended crate scene is cool, for some reason Woody comes off like a jerk in it to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Woody was a jerk though. but that’s what would have made the scene better, because after getting nowhere with Buzz’s silent treatment he then admits that he shouldn’t have pushed him out of the window before fully breaking down and asking for help… the build up of him not wanting to admit he was wrong would have added to that moment when buzz finally talks.

That would be Sid’s “I wanna ride the pony!” dream, which I figured since it was in there meant that it was originally supposed to happen during that part of the film, but since they trimmed the scene down they moved it to when Woody got hit with the toolbox.

Thanks for pointing this out, seeing these new scenes was interesting. It was obvious that there was a deleted scene before the karate chop escape because Buzz stumbled into the scene with those suction cups on. Although, I can somehow see why this didn’t make it into the final movie, because it was a little bit disturbing. But that’s Sid for you.

This also give Woody a new voicebox phrase (there’s 9 in all, but I think we’ve only heard 6 before this).

The toolbox scene also makes sense, as Woody is known for his pride throughout the film, but they obviously wanted to make him into a more likeable character.
Seeing these really gives a new perspective on the film, thanks again for pointing this out, Billbarman.

Nio problem. ive had the book for years… I think the new Pull string phrse Woody had was “I’d lik to join your posse boys, but first im gonna sing a little song” I kinda like it better without that one… :laughing:

Well I always assumed that Sid was already torturing Buzz with suction cups before going after Woody when that scene started, but now that I know from the deleted scene that he was using a power drill it doesn’t quite seem to fit with the final film. Did Buzz just crash into a pair of plungers or something? Either he was meant to come out like that or after the scene was cut they added that bit to make Buzz’s torture less disturbing.

I remember that book, Billbarman - I had a small novel adaptation of the film when I was younger, and yes, I think I do recall there being some differences from the film, such as that torture scene with the drill. I believe it’s the one by Cathy East Dubowski - here’s the cover: cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/624/194 … ybook2.jpg

Wow, this is bringing back memories - I’d almost completely forgotten about it. I kind of wish I still had the book.

You mean it’s that book? I still have that in my bedroom! I’ll have to check it over again.

I’m assuming it was just to add humor after he crashed into the pile of junk. How is it in the book? Either way, Woody’s torture was the only one that was necessary, because the magnifying glass is crucial to the ending. And he carries that black dot on his forehead throughout the rest of the film.

And it just dawned on me that the only way this book could’ve been written was with an early script. Would be awesome if someone found it (now, we only have the final script).

I went over the book I’ve had just now, and sure enough both of the DVD’s deleted scenes were in there along with that extra part mentioned of Andy and Molly at the beginning. So yes, I guess I actually have that novel.

If you read through it, theres alot of other line changes or things that seem odd. I cant list all of them but theres alot.

I wish I still had mine. Except mine wasn’t a novel, it was more of a storybook. I don’t remember much from my copy of it except it said that Andy was 6.

As for Toy Story 2, I had the novel for it, but like TS I don’t remember much of it. It did have some pictures in the middle of the book, but that is about all I remember.

The Toy Story 3 novel is probably going to be the same way. Even though it’s for kids, I’m half tempted to order the novel when it’s available. It might be a nice thing to add to my collection. :laughing:

Okay, I’ve got the book, and I’m keeping a tally of changes:

• They used a slightly different opening. I guess they re-tooled this until they reached the final product. In this case, it’s starts with the fake western opening, however, this time, Woody is dueling Mr. Potato Head. Once Woody shoots, Andy plays out his dramatic death until Molly steals him, to which they fight over him until Andy falls back and bumps a nightstand. Instead of a vase, Bo Peep falls over, and Woody comes to life to save her while Andy’s turned around.
  • This book goes into a lot of detail with things not detailed in the movie. Woody’s face intentionally changes when Andy isn’t looking just to show how happy he is with him, Andy bought Mrs. Potato Head for Molly for Christmas, after she clearly had an interest in the Mr., and they even explain how Buzz flies.
  • The scenes that play out after Pizza Planet are in different sequence. There’s an additional shot of Woody seeing Andy for what he thinks is the last time before being packed away by Sid. Afterwards, it goes to the scene of Andy going home empty-handed. From there, it shows the night and day scenes at Sid’s house back-to-back.
  • In addition to losing his arm, Buzz gets his helmet cracked.