3D re-release

I’m not really keen on this idea, to be honest. I don’t think it’s the greatest choice of Pixar’s films for re-release (Monsters, Inc., Cars or The Incredibles would be better choices, I think) but the whole re-release thing puts me off in the first place because the majority of times, 3D doesn’t seem to enhance the film that much. It’s not a bad thing as such, and obviously it’s to make more money, but it just doesn’t seem necessary to me.

Some scenes would look great in 3D (and others gimmicky), but why is this necessary? I understand with Toy Story 1 and 2 because they were testing for the 3D effect in the third one, but this movie was so brilliant on its own, why must it require special glasses now?

I agree. I dont see the need. I think its mainly because I’m just sick of all this 3D. Its nice once in awhile, but I dont need to see every movie ever made in 3D. I’ve already talked about why 3D annoys me so I wont go into it again. I’m perfectly content seeing a 2D movie.

I agree with lennonluvr9, everything I hear about movies these days are all about 3D this, 3D that. Especially Pixar.

And Ratatouille doesn’t seem like a very appropriate choice (apart from the sewer scenes, etc).

I probably won’t see it. The only Pixar film I’d probably like to see again in 3D that hasn’t already been released in 3D is Cars. That would be awesome, and I’ll get my chance next year when I see Cars 2.

I’m not a huge fan of the 3D stuff, but if they absolutely have to release more Pixar movies in 3D, I’d pick something that would be more thrilling to see in 3D, like WALL-E, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, or A Bug’s Life.

I like the idea of a rerelease, but the 3D aspect might in fact be a little much.

I will still see it either way though.

I would love to see this film again in theaters, just imagining to see in 3D the race scene when Skinner pursues Remy,ohohohoohoh, I hope Pixar still keeps this in mind ;-p

That would be an epic scene.

I think that instead of doing Ratatouille in 3D it should be Monsters, Inc.

1. Ratatouille was only released 4 years ago, while Monsters, Inc came out 10 years!

2. A MI rerelease would be perfect since the sequel is coming out next year. (Just like how they did the re-releases for TS1 & TS2 for TS3)

I know. I was very disappointed when they didn’t re-release the first Cars on 3D this year :frowning:

it would be great, but I think that there is no time for scheduling it right now, we are only 19 months far from the prequel (oficially announced today)

I am sure they will do a 3D re-release of the cars movies when Cars 3 hits theaters, ;-p

I know, I just think it would of been nice if they had, and as Spirit said, the same with Cars.

If they did choose to re-release it in 3D, I’m not buying it. A lot of movies are marketed as ‘in 3D’ to the point they have it in their titles! Like ‘Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D’ or ‘The Three Musketeers in 3D’ or ‘Priest in 3D’. They announce them as such in trailers and posters. It’s ridiculous.

Sure, there may be one or two scenes with great 3D potential, like the opening crash scene with the cars flying, or maybe when Doc Hudson jumps over McQueen at the end, but most of the time, it’s not really exploitative of the medium.

Great 3D movies, I find, are those which tend to call for depth-perception scenes as opposed to 'stick ‘em in your eye’ moments. Three of my best experiences in 3D are those which involve flying sequences; Avatar, How to Train Your Dragon and Legend of the Guardians. Oh, and maybe Up, but I could really remember if I watched it in 2D or 3D. I think 3D.

Anyway, you really feel like the sky is just opening up beneath you and there’s this huge expanse of land (or sea) just stretching for miles around, it’s really spectacular. Scenes like the recent Justin Bieber film ‘Never Say Never’ where he pokes his hand right in your face are really annoying, and there are more of that in Cars than flying or depth perception sequences.

So no, no thank you. I would love to see a re-release in 2D, though! :wink: Better yet if it’s a double-bill with the sequel like what they did with Twilight and Pirates of the Carribean trilogies.

for me the best films in 3D were Coroline, TRON Legacy and Tangled, the last one surprised me with the candle scene, the best use of the technology was in there, imo

avatar had stunning and beautiful footage, but I didnt feel the 3D effect at all

I watched Tangled in 2D but I’m really curious to see how the ‘Mother Knows Best’ sequence would play out in 3D.

Speaking of Avatar, there was one moment in the ‘Special Edition’ during the stampede scene where a Na’vi falls off his horse and his spear flies towards the camera. Normally I’m not easily scared by ‘shock tactics’, but this one caught me so much by surprise I actually flinched!

I’m sure movies like The Final Destination (which apparently has a similar opening pile-up like Cars, only more gruesome) and Saw VI would really take advantage of the medium by flinging objects at the audience. Not sure if there’s anything like that in Cars beyond the opening pile-up, but again, this doesn’t warrant a 3D re-release.

I thought the 3D re-release of Toy Story 1 and 2 were a pretty cheap post-conversion gimmick for Pixar. By post-conversion, I mean movies like Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans which were filmed in 2D and then converted into stereoscopic 3D during post-production. Movies like Monsters vs Aliens (one of the very first 3D movies to kick off the craze), Avatar, and How to Train Your Dragon were made and shot with 3D in mind, either by using special 3D live-action cameras or the animators wearing 3D goggles while animating. You can watch the featurettes and ‘making ofs’ for such movies to see how they do it.

And you can thank Jeffrey Katzenberg (the bald evil mastermind of Dreamworks) for packing the ignition fuel for the 3D movie resurgence and James Cameron for lighting the fuse. No doubt Roger Ebert would be foaming at the mouth at this phenomenon, as demonstrated by his famous rant in Time magazine about why 3D movies are bad (he is referring to the medium and not so much the content of the movies).

Honestly, I’d kind of rather see PIXAR release their films on a 3D TV format rather than 3D for theaters. Not that I own a 3D TV mind you, but at least I’d be able to get the watch same effect for free should I ever pass through demo TV at a Best Buy or Fry’s Electronics store.

Other than that, I’m kind of getting tired of all this 3D stuff. It started off fun and interesting when Disney re-released The Nightmare Before Christmas and I heartily enjoyed the Toy Story Double Feature, but other than that I’m not really seeing the big improvement for 3D.

I think that Pixar is bringing back a long lost Disney tradition with all these re-releases. The only reason that they’re now converting it into 3-D is so that “regular” people (as in people who aren’t as obsessed as us :stuck_out_tongue:) Will want to go see it. After all, 3-D definitely sells tickets. So, I think if Ratatouille does well enough, we will get to see Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc eventually re-released. :smiley: I think it would be cool to get to see my favorite Pixar films again on the big screen every few years!

I’d enjoy a re-release, but not in 3D. 3D and me, we just don’t mesh…sometimes, especially after the ‘Game Over’ incident. I didn’t see the 3D re-releases of TS1 and 2 because I thought they were just cheap gimmicks…same for the third one. Now I wish I’d suffered through the torture, just to see my childhood come to life again.

If it was in 2D, I’d see it again. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d love to find my ticket stubs, wherever they are…

Fun Fact: In 2007, Ratatouille was released on my 12th birthday.

its a great idea will be a great experience to watch