3D re-release

for me the best films in 3D were Coroline, TRON Legacy and Tangled, the last one surprised me with the candle scene, the best use of the technology was in there, imo

avatar had stunning and beautiful footage, but I didnt feel the 3D effect at all

I watched Tangled in 2D but I’m really curious to see how the ‘Mother Knows Best’ sequence would play out in 3D.

Speaking of Avatar, there was one moment in the ‘Special Edition’ during the stampede scene where a Na’vi falls off his horse and his spear flies towards the camera. Normally I’m not easily scared by ‘shock tactics’, but this one caught me so much by surprise I actually flinched!

I’m sure movies like The Final Destination (which apparently has a similar opening pile-up like Cars, only more gruesome) and Saw VI would really take advantage of the medium by flinging objects at the audience. Not sure if there’s anything like that in Cars beyond the opening pile-up, but again, this doesn’t warrant a 3D re-release.

I thought the 3D re-release of Toy Story 1 and 2 were a pretty cheap post-conversion gimmick for Pixar. By post-conversion, I mean movies like Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans which were filmed in 2D and then converted into stereoscopic 3D during post-production. Movies like Monsters vs Aliens (one of the very first 3D movies to kick off the craze), Avatar, and How to Train Your Dragon were made and shot with 3D in mind, either by using special 3D live-action cameras or the animators wearing 3D goggles while animating. You can watch the featurettes and ‘making ofs’ for such movies to see how they do it.

And you can thank Jeffrey Katzenberg (the bald evil mastermind of Dreamworks) for packing the ignition fuel for the 3D movie resurgence and James Cameron for lighting the fuse. No doubt Roger Ebert would be foaming at the mouth at this phenomenon, as demonstrated by his famous rant in Time magazine about why 3D movies are bad (he is referring to the medium and not so much the content of the movies).

Honestly, I’d kind of rather see PIXAR release their films on a 3D TV format rather than 3D for theaters. Not that I own a 3D TV mind you, but at least I’d be able to get the watch same effect for free should I ever pass through demo TV at a Best Buy or Fry’s Electronics store.

Other than that, I’m kind of getting tired of all this 3D stuff. It started off fun and interesting when Disney re-released The Nightmare Before Christmas and I heartily enjoyed the Toy Story Double Feature, but other than that I’m not really seeing the big improvement for 3D.

I think that Pixar is bringing back a long lost Disney tradition with all these re-releases. The only reason that they’re now converting it into 3-D is so that “regular” people (as in people who aren’t as obsessed as us :stuck_out_tongue:) Will want to go see it. After all, 3-D definitely sells tickets. So, I think if Ratatouille does well enough, we will get to see Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc eventually re-released. :smiley: I think it would be cool to get to see my favorite Pixar films again on the big screen every few years!

I’d enjoy a re-release, but not in 3D. 3D and me, we just don’t mesh…sometimes, especially after the ‘Game Over’ incident. I didn’t see the 3D re-releases of TS1 and 2 because I thought they were just cheap gimmicks…same for the third one. Now I wish I’d suffered through the torture, just to see my childhood come to life again.

If it was in 2D, I’d see it again. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d love to find my ticket stubs, wherever they are…

Fun Fact: In 2007, Ratatouille was released on my 12th birthday.

its a great idea will be a great experience to watch