Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Alice in Wonderland kinda freaks me out a little bit, truth be told. It makes me feel empty, weirdly, and lost like her, which I guess is itā€™s job, but I didnā€™t like that feeling. I hate it when she starts crying at the end too, because then I want to cry because I feel so lost! Itā€™s not like a TS3 cry, itā€™s different. I do love the part with the Walrus though :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been wanting to try that for ages. :laughing:

Alice in Wonderland is a hard one to put your finger on, either itā€™s a big hit or a total miss, few people go inbetween with their opinion of it. Iā€™d say itā€™s a pleasant sensation, the trippy combination of the colorful visuals and old-timey music just feels nice.

My whole early childhood was around Disney films, so Waltā€™s version of Alice in Wonderland was always the one I remember most fondly, a lot more than Tim Burtonā€™s remake (I could never comprehend seeing his version of the Mad Hatter wielding a sword like some action hero in the previews as opposed to messing around with the White Rabbitā€™s watch). Actually out of all of Waltā€™s animated features, this one always seemed to hold out for me the most. I guess my reason was because I thought it played out as being so cartoony and absurd, and I was really into that kind of nonsensical stuff with cartoons. It was defiantly for that same reason that I loved Aladdin so much as well.

And did anyone ever get a kick out of seeing the Mad Hatter in Bonkers and how he lived inside the Hollywood sign?

I like Alice in Wonderland. Both Aliceā€™s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are some of my favorite books. I like Disneyā€™s movie as well.

This movie is veryā€¦interesting! People who say itā€™s Disneyā€™s ā€˜acid trip movieā€™ have never seen the Three Caballeros! 8D

I think I wasnā€™t crazy about this movie when I was a kid. I havenā€™t seen it in like, 10 years. But, then, I only liked the ones about princesses and big muscle men, so the fact that I didnā€™t love this one when I was 5 carries no weight. Iā€™ll rewatch it someday.

I canā€™t believe you donā€™t like Alice in Wonderland. I mean, thatā€™s like a sin! Itā€™s also my favorite Disney film that Walt did. You shouldnā€™t judge a movieā€™s awesomeness just from the parts from the book it couldnā€™t fit in. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a single book-movie out there thatā€™s exactly like the book. Thatā€™s part of the reason, I think, that book movies are good. You can have slightly alternate versions and you can decide which you like better. I think the reason itā€™s such a classic is because it takes place in an entirely different world. Lewis Carroll, whether he was on drugs or not (Iā€™m almost sure he was) was a brilliant author and was such an expert at creating something entirely different. Basically, I think people watch AiW so much is so they can leave their worries behind, and just escape completely. Also, have you seen the new 2010 version? It was sort of a sequel, but it was more to the original books.

Honestly, Iā€™m not too crazy about it. Iā€™ve seen it couple times and its okay I guess, but I wouldnt set aside time out of my day to watch it. I guess I thought it was a little too silly. Not that I dont like silly things, but i dunno, itā€™s hard to explain. It just doesnt grab me. I do like the Un-birthday scene

Same here, The March Hare is my favorite character.

This was really enjoyable! It took me two times to really like it, but Iā€™m glad that I do.

I like it. But I think Alice herself are what I like. Parts of the movie seem slow to me.

True. The first time I just thought it was too odd, but the second time I was fine with it. Itā€™s charming, but I think Alice is also my favorite part about it. And I get a few random laughs out of the Queen of Hearts, but itā€™s not like she was a favorite of mine.

This is probably a terrible reason. But besides her personality, I hate the queen because she looks like Fred Flintstone. I just think sheā€™s so ugly and manish. Other than Alice, I also like the cheshire cat and the caterpillar.

That is a common thing to think when watching films from that time period.

I tried so hard not to be bored! Itā€™s just so easy for your mind to wonder during certain scenes.

I defintely understand what you mean. The subject matter itself is anything BUT boring, but I think the filmā€™s pacing can get very slow.

I agree. People call the movie an acid trip; obviously they havenā€™t read the book. LOL 8D

Both areā€¦interesting to say the least.

^ Agreed. :laughing:

I havenā€™t seen the movie in a long time, so I canā€™t really comment on its quality. Bur I feel like the problem with adapting Alice in Wonderland to film is that the book doesnā€™t really suit the medium.

Well thatā€™s not true- it has lots of interesting imagery, so I can understand why people keep making film/ TV versions of it. But the actual story is pretty meandering, and nonsensical. Alice doesnā€™t have a specific goal in mind through the story, she just sort of wanders about and interacts with interesting people. So itā€™s very difficult to capture the spirit of the book on film whilst still making it a compelling story. Tim Burton, for example, tried to structure the story more, to add a clear, single narrative rather than a series of episodes, but that sacrificed some of the wonder and strangeness of Wonderland. I suppose the problem is that films have different expectations than books. Plus, with a book the kid can stop reading every few chapters and take a break. But a film is intended for a single sitting, so you donā€™t want to feel like youā€™re wasting the audienceā€™s time.

If I remember correctly, I read in a book about Disney that the studio found the 1951 version of Alice slightly disappointing at the time- they felt like it didnā€™t come out as good as they wanted. Though to be fair, it (and Cinderella) was the first proper film theyā€™d done in a few years, so problems are understandable.

Exactly. Thatā€™s very spot one.

No film can truly capture the bookā€™s original spirit. But I think the animated Disney version has done it best out of all the Alice films/shows Iā€™ve seen.

And as far as Disney movies go, Alice in Wonderland is probably one of the more faithful to itā€™s source material. (That isnā€™t saying much)