"Alma"

that was great!
it reminded me of coraline a little bit too.
i was wondering how the doll could move if alma wasnt in it yet?

:confused: Huh, that’s actually a pretty good question, now I’m wondering that myself.

I was also linked to Alma from Unkrich. Loved it from start to finish. It was nice of him to promote it simply for sharing and enjoyment purposes. It was a great short, very interesting, of course. I expected to see the girl that matched the new doll walk by the window at the end, but I think just the new doll showing up made the point, so oh well.

You know, I think alot of viewers would be expecting to see the next girl that matched the next doll but the short ending as it did was fine. You know what else I wonder about, who owns that shop and makes those dolls?

I saw Alma the other day after I got a Tweet from Unkrich. I thoroughly enjoyed it and reminded me how dolls can be utterly creepy.

The part where the tricycle-riding boy shut the door in his attempt to escape said something to me and I also think the writing on the wall opposite the shop had some significance. My take on the short is that the dolls were made by unseen, magical hands.

Didn’ t you love the sounds of the doll’s mechanical clicking eyes at the end creep you out, too?

Lol, if you think those dolls were creepy then you should see Living Dead Dolls, those are sure to weird somebody out! :smiley:

That unanswered simple question really adds to the creepy factor.

You know, you’re right about that, it really does add to the creepy factor. :smiley:

I saw this a couple of months ago and loved it. I think it has a fantastic mix of creepiness, whimsy, cuteness and incredibly dark comedy. I think Blaas is well on his way to becoming a fantastic feature director.

I have to ask though, am I the only one who found the ending incredibly sad? I’d hate to think that all those kids are stuck there forever with no chance of escape.

I know. I honestly thought she, along with the others, would escape in the end. :cry: Oh well, it was very entertaining, and I love the visuals.

I kind of got the impression that the shop was an intelligent, organic entity in itself. Notice how the windows all seem to form a sinister-looking face, with eyes, nostrils, and an enormous mouth, complete with teeth and dripping saliva. It lures its victims in and “consumes” them, so to speak. I found the bicycle boy’s escape attempt particularly chilling on my second viewing, since its clear that the door purposefully shuts itself to prevent him from getting out.

I’m not sure what the shop’s motivation is. What does it intend to do with all those trapped young souls? You get the impression that there’s actually a much bigger storyline going on here, and that we’ve only glimpsed a tiny (if typical) episode of it.

Also, check out those posters on the wall of the building right next to the shop. Are they posters of some of the missing children?

Like Monster House!!! Except the Alma short is far superior to that stupid movie… :unamused:

I saw this short a long time ago, and I loved it. What I
happy to read is that the director is self taught and he now has a successful career in animation. I’m currently teaching myself and it’s very inspirational to read about self taught artist. I usually see, “went to CalArts.”

collider.com/2010/10/20/alma … -del-toro/

Good? BAD?!!

I fell in love with this short quite some time ago. Possibly my favorite from '09.

TAMATER, a… feature film… from Dreamworks?? How does that fit at all? :open_mouth: I guess it could be done, but… maybe I’m just being close-minded, but I personally think part of the creepiness is in how quickly it could tell its story. :confused: Well, whatever. I like Guillermo del Toro though.

I think it could work. I’m glad to see Dreamworks branching out a bit. I loved the short, but it might be a little difficult to stretch to full length.

Let me see if I get this straight, a pixar animator created a short and is DREAMWORKS who is gonna turn it into a movie?

I could see this working. They’ve got Rodrigo Blaas to direct and Toro (though they have to give this guy a break…) to produce it. Looks pretty serious if you ask me.

Right now, the only thing Dreamworks should be concerned about is: “THIS IS A CORALINE/TOY STORY RIP-OFF!!!”

And I saw this original short a few months back when my friend introduced it to me and I fell in love with it. I love the visuals, the music and just the eeriness of the setting itself. So, Dreamworks better not mess it up D:<

A movie? From that? Okay, I’ll buy it…DW will do anything for some $… :unamused:

This was my favorite short from last year. It’s stayed with me since seeing it all the way back in December. I can’t wait to see what they make of it.

I hear the concept is going to be reinvented. I hope not too much. I wanted to know exactly what was going on there in the short . Then again, that might ruin the magic of the entire premise of the short film. Quite a balancing act.