Am I the only one who LOVES Mater?

well, i didnt hate him in the first cars , but then mater tall tales came along taking his obnoxiousness to new levels, but still it wasnt too bad, we could just ignore them, but then cars 2 came along, a movie that is basically " LOLOLOL IS MATER ,LOOK AT MATER,LAUGH AT MATER!, making mater the most annoying pixar character ever.

so I do hate mater, but only after pixar decided to make him the central character

lord zedd! I missed you. :smiley: Anyway, yes, maybe they pushed the Mater too much. 8D

Yeah,I agree with [b:11dgpqb9]Rac_Rules[/b:11dgpqb9] and [b:11dgpqb9]lord_zedd[/b:11dgpqb9].I actually kinda liked him in the first Cars…(until the end of the movie)…then my hatred for him got worse when Pixar went on this ridicolus Mater-thon,to the point to where like [b:11dgpqb9]Rac_Rules[/b:11dgpqb9] said…the movie was basicly Mater can be rude and ignorant and it’s other people’s problem…and everybody should bow-down to Mater,and Mater is suddenly smarter than everybody else… :roll: So now I despise him… :-\

[b:11dgpqb9]TDIT[/b:11dgpqb9]:I think we know that by now… :P

thank you :smiley: , anyway , I think that for the good of the franchise pixar should stary focusing on other characters for the cars shorts, like sheriff and guido, i would love to see a short focusing on sheriff :sunglasses:

Sheriff is pretty cool!

Oh my gosh, I say "To not to." all the time! It’s impossible for me to say it without the accent, too. My parents just start laughing 'cause they know where it’s from. 8D Anyway, I basically agree with what most people said. I loved Mater in the first movie but there was too much of him in the second one. It felt like Pixar decided to ride on the fact that he sells the most merchandise and made him the star but it felt like he was being shoved in my face too much. And I guess Mater being John Lasseter’s favorite character accounted to that too, but I mean, show the other characters some love. Mater’s clowning around got old throughout the movie, too and it became slightly unrealistic to me. It bothered me that no matter how many [i:37bqqfns]obvious[/i:37bqqfns] things were happening around him, it takes like half of the movie for him to finally put two and two together about the whole spy thing. I don’t find him as annoying as other people, he makes me laugh and he’s a great relatable character but I like Lightning a lot more and I think he’s better as the main character. :)

[quote="Rac_Rules":37bqqfns]But seriously, the characters in Cars 2 might as well have been shouting "ALL HAIL LORD MATER" at the end.[/quote:37bqqfns]

^^^^This! "Shame on you for not liking Mater and if you think he’s naive and childish then YOU need to change!" Okay, sure. :-\ It also bothered me at how Lightning clearly apologized for yelling at Mater and for wanting him to change and blah, blah, blah; but Mater never apologized for embarrassing Lightning and maybe being [i:37bqqfns]too[/i:37bqqfns] childish and silly. He just went on to save the world, which also kind of threw me off. I still don’t believe the fact that Mater came up with all the answers to the mystery at the end of the movie. From what I’ve seen of Mater in the first [i:37bqqfns]Cars[/i:37bqqfns] and most of [i:37bqqfns]Cars 2[/i:37bqqfns], it is slightly unrealistic that he, of all cars, suddenly had an epiphany and knows everything and saves the day.

[quote="lord_zedd":37bqqfns] LOLOLOL IS MATER ,LOOK AT MATER,LAUGH AT MATER![/quote:37bqqfns]

^^^^ I just died from laughter reading this. 8D :laugh: And I wholeheartedly agree with you! I would love to see shorts with the other characters!

SallyMcQueen:I love you…seriously…LOL jk :laughing:

Bahahahaha, LOL. I love you too. 8D

I like Mater. I don’t love him, but he doesn’t really irritate me. He can be annoying at times, but he’s funny, too.
I do wish that we could see more of the other characters, though. I love the Mater’s Tall Tales, but if they could do a season where they focus on Lightning or someone else, I think that would be great!

It appears us common dwellers of the “Sally and Lightning” thread seem to dislike Mater a lot. Coincidence? I think not.

Bahahahahahahaha, LOL. 8D That’s right, Mater. We never forgot…NEVER. FORGOT. :imp:

Hey we have a right to,girls!! :smiling_imp:

Know what, exactly? That Mater was awful in the second movie? If that’s the case, then I agree! :slight_smile:

THIS. I always love how you are make such perceptive observations, I didn’t realize that until you pointed it out! Yeah, it was unfair that Mater never said sorry, which is uncharacteristic of him seeing as how he’s always so apologetic.

Oh god. That’s why I wanted a “I loved Mater in the first movie but hated him in the second” option. There were so many plot holes and things that Pixar could’ve ‘done better’ that despite me being a fan of the franchise and spy movies, it’s so hard to overlook. Fanfic writers have a term for Mater’s behaviour in the second film: ‘OOC’. Otherwise known as ‘out of character’. :unamused:

Oh yeah, gonna do a little plug here. So most of you would know I’m extremely discontented with the story in Cars 2. So I’ve written a trilogy of one-shots which I’m planning to post up over the weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) with my own take on events from the movie. Some of you might remember I lamented about how I would do a post-Tokyo-race scene between Lightning and Sally, or how I would write a moment where Holley pleads Mater not to risk his life, etc. So just keep a lookout on deviantART and fanfiction, and I’ll post the links on the Fanfiction board when I upload them. :wink:

Heeheee, thank you! :mrgreen: I guess being too analytical pays off. :laughing: I’m glad you agree and I agree with you also; OOC is definitely the best term for Mater in the second movie! Very well put.

I’m excited to see your fanfiction; especially your Lightning and Sally one (of course). I’ve never read your work before, I bet you’re a great writer, though! :smiley:

I feel stupid, because I thought Mater was behaving normally in Cars 2. Maybe I should pay attention. 8D :blush:

Well, it seemed like he was the same to me, because I related with him in both movies. The southern thing, the insecure thing, people underestimating you.

Yeah,he was awful in Cars 2 but I ment about you being a Mater/Sally shipper…

My father told me many times the danger of saying “always”… :stuck_out_tongue: And I thought Lightning was supposed to be a evil jerk,and Mater was supposed to this rustbucket of an angel? :stuck_out_tongue: But on a more serious note yeah,that’s on of the thinks that bothered me in Cars 2.I was surprised at all the plotholes,I too think they could’ve done better… :neutral_face:

What do you mean, was it what TDIT said to me?

Mater is awesome!

Yeah…