Andrew Stanton's Views on a WALL-E Sequel

I read another interview and Andrew Stanton said that WALL-E needed a love story aproach and he said that’s where it began and that’s where it ends. He also said he may never make another movie like this again. So, it’s good to hear he wants to make new projects for Pixar.

Yeah, thank goodness. I hate the idea of a WALL-E sequel, so it’s good to know that Stanton is using his noggin and realising that what he’s created is very special, and should be left like that.

It seems that Pixar chooses their battles wisely and when they do come out with a film, its a big deal. Its almost special.
Coming from a movie that pretty much ties all the ends it has to offer, it would be difficult to make another

In the director’s commentary of WALL-E, Andrew Stanton said he ended the movie perfectly and he wouldn’t want it any other way. He also said he forced himself to get involved in the humans’ story, so a sequel would be impossible because of the situation of humanity and robots.

I don’t want them to make a Wall-E sequel. It seems like a sequel for Wall-E would be to hard to pull off. But if they made a sequel I would definitely see it, because I’ve never seen a bad Pixar film before. They obviously know what they’re doing.

I agree with many of you who also DO NOT WANT Wall-e 2 to be ever released. The movie is perfect and it has a perfect ending. The only possible thing is a prequel, but… what do you expect to see there? how Wall-e [spoil]was collecting his gizmos?[/spoil] yawn… nope, even the worst idea can be presented well and it even can have success… but Wall-e 2 surely will be unable to send us more messages than in the original Wall-e, so, I think, the mission of Pixar is accomplished.
Moreover, I didn’t like the idea of makin the videogame for it… and now, when I saw the game, I dislike it even more - almost no connection with the original storyline, fake world, carribean music in the first missions (yack), very original intro (when the playback of [altered] put on your sunday clothes suddenly ends…) argh…

Andrew Stanton seems like the kind of man who once he sees his masterpiece, he moves on to make a whole other masterpiece.

And that is a proper approach!
Btw, out of curiosity, are there any Pixarians on this forum? I think some of the staff and even management are interested in what the spectators think about their art.

All I really want is a just an epilouge to Wall-e something more than pictures in the creadits you know? I know there’s no point to a sequel.

I’m glad to know Mr. Stanton is so smart about this. I’m tired of certain people trying to make more money from a perfect movie cough Jeff Katz Cough

Wait they’re not going to make anything like Wall-E again? AWWWWW!

Maybe they’ll make something just as pure and loveable, but…different, like a different story. We’ve got enough Pixar sequels to look at for now.

Unless a giant hand appears in the sky to stop a Wall-E sequel, one way or another there is going to be one, like it or not. The cost of animation will fall relatively closely with the cost of computation, altho creative processes will initially be independently expensive. Disney owns Pixar, and even tho they respect the latter, at some point the creators of Wall-E will pass into retirement and no longer have any say-so. Then there will be a new crowd at Pixar, perhaps…

It was like saying there would never be another Fantasia. There was, and it was pretty good. Disney, unfortunately, doesn’t put in the care to its sequels like Pixar does. There are a surprising number of sequels to famous Disney animated movies that you might not be aware of. So those of us here wouldn’t be happy if it were a Disney managed production circa 2010. How they will be in 2030, who knows. We can’t say that in another 20 years there will even be a Pixar branch. Remember Pixar helped spell the death of major non-CGI animated movies in 2003, only a few years after TS1. Hundreds of Disney animators were given their walking papers. Whether Lassiter and company can resuscitate them is up in the air.

Someone will own the rights, and be tempted to sequel. Even if they don’t want a sequel, someone in the underground will want one and it won’t take them 442 (re:dvd) years to make it! Not in the year 2030 it won’t.

I guess nothing is sacred. Didja know they’re doing a sequel to Tron and Pirates of the Caribbean? :unamused: Yeah, I thought so.

I suppose we’ll be having this discussion for nearly every Pixar movie that gets released. :wink: And my opinion on it for WALL-E is pretty much the same as its been for most of the others. I personally dont see where they’d go with a sequel, but I’m not gonna be completely judgemental about it until I’d see it. Of course, I dont need them making sequels and trying to make franchises out of every movie they make either. On the whole I too would rather see them use that time to create new movies

I would love to a WALL-E sequel set in the now fixed up Futuristic Earth (maybe set in the year 3000 even), but I would just be content if they decided to carry on the story through short films, like Cars Toons and Toy Story toons. It’d give more time to focus on secondary characters like M-O or the Vacuum robot.

I would rather see 3-4 completely new Pixar movies of the same quality as Up, than 3-4 sequels in the next batch of releases. Simply because such movies are inherently original. It seems that Cars and TS3 aren’t just movies. They have huge audiences also for Disney magazines, their theme parks and don’t forget: billion$ and billion$ in toy and clothing merchandise. This certainly allows Pixar to have more certain footing in making a Wall-E type of movie in the first place. It’s a compromise. If 2/3 of the Pixar releases are mind-blowingly original stories, then most people are happy.

So I’m not saying we have to have a new Wall-E within 5 years, displacing some other worthy submission by one of their up-and-comings directors. At least once or twice a year they surely must lay out folders on each of their worthy contenders on a big mahogany table and pick the winners, a timetable and reassess certain films depending on how the story or pre-production is coming. They are putting Monsters Inc. into pre-production now, having quietly been working on the story for years, off and on most likely. I guess it will be preceded and followed by completely new stories. So, a few years after that, could there be room for a second Wall-E?

Be patient. But by the year 2019 if there hasn’t been a peep, then some of us may be obliged to stir up a ruckus.

Everybody has had wonderful things to say about this topic.

It’s funny how people always start the topic about a sequel to one of Pixar’s films, and I think it all boils down to this: people really and truly enjoy Pixar’s films because they stand out apart from the rest of the garbage that’s put out there from Hollywood and other cheesy animation studios. They want to continue following the story about the characters they’ve grown to love and cherish as their own friends. The original film pulled them into its realm and world, and they enjoyed every minute of it. The message, the themes, the heart and the story…everything that John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, and the great “Pillars of Pixar” have believed in and carried on through their work…that is what people respond to with Pixar films, and that’s why I think they want sequels.

It seems to me that Andrew Stanton has a very positive and loose attitude towards other directors making a sequel to “WALL-E”, and I think there’s a reason for this: Mr. Stanton knows how successful “WALL-E” has become, and all the fruits of his hard labor and work at creating this one-of-a-kind story are coming back to him in full force. Yet, I’m a writer, too, and I know what he means by wanting to move on towards other stories after already joining his characters on their big adventure. He created their adventure and was “with” them through it all because he was the writer. He envisioned the beginning, middle, and end of the story, and after long years of struggle and brilliant creativity, he reached the end and satisfying conclusion.
Personally, the ending of “WALL-E” always makes me smile with sheer joy when I see how the humans have finally learnt to adapt again to their planet…and how the plant eventually grew into a beautiful tree!

However, there is a general negative view on sequels for films. After viewing a sequel for a film, we generally respond with “the first one was better”.
So, I think that when Mr. Stanton was presented with this question, he was probably thinking to himself, “You know, if some goon tried to make a sequel to WALL-E, it would only fail…and it would make the original story shine brighter.” And that’s the truth!

But look at what Pixar has already done with the “Toy Story 3” trilogy - each and every one of those films are tremendous hits because of Pixar’s excellent, superior storytelling. Here’s an interesting fact: John Lasseter wasn’t the director of the third one; Lee Unkrich was.

With the news declaring that “Cars” will now be having a sequel released next year, I can’t help but be hopeful and confident of Pixar’s judgment that they will handle this story just as precious and important as they do with all their original films. Pixar really cares about stories. Brad Bird once said that one of the top reasons why he came to Pixar was because he knew the studio “protected” stories. Whether or not a Pixar film is an original or a sequel, I have faith Pixar will do everything in its power to ensure that it’s a good story and we won’t be disappointed.

I personally believe that a sequel for “WALL-E” is unnecessary because of the wonderful note the film ends on. The credits clearly show us what happened after the humans landed on earth and WALL-E was restored: the humans began to adapt to their earthly surroundings, they fixed their environment and sheltered themselves, nature sprung forth beautifully across the planet, and WALL-E and EVE were together… :slight_smile: There really is no better ending for this kind of story – no loose ends, no characters left hanging, and we are left breathless at the end of this visual, storytelling masterpiece. It ends perfectly.

However, if the creative minds and brilliant writers at Pixar do come up with an idea for a sequel, I’m sure it will be just as wonderful as the original story. For now, though, I intend to just enjoy “WALL-E” on its own, and I’m sure that’s what Andrew Stanton thinks as well.

Bravo, Pixar!!!

Very intuitive blessed light! great summary!

I would like the idea for a sequel, but I wouldn’t like the idea for a TV series on Disney, because, it would suck. I remember the TV series for osmosis jones once the movie came out, AND THAT WREAKED!!!

But, we need to give him some time to think about it, it has only been two years… monsters inc. took probably 12 years to make a sequel, second to 15 for TS3. Guessing by that statistics, it may take 6-15 years for a Wall-E sequel!!!

I hope they just leave at it the original. I would be very disappointed to see a sequel made.