Andrew Stanton's Views on a WALL-E Sequel

I agree with yo Remy. If Stanton doesn’t want to, he shouldn’t, but it’d be cool. Isn’t that what you said? I agree with you. ^^

As much as I love Wall-E I really dont want a Sequel,Same with Cars,I like it alot now,it took me awhile but theres no need for a Cars 2.
Now im down for Toy Story 3 and The Incredibles 2,everything else should be left alone.

Wall-E’s one of those movies that is so clearly self-encompassing that it’s very hard to imagine a worthy sequel. In comparison, the Incredibles is absolutely perfect to make a sequel for. But even with that, there would have to be a valid conflict that goes further than “just another adventure”.

And even though Cars wasn’t the strongest film (just in my opinion, mind you,) I can totally understand why they’re making a sequel for it. That’s a world that they can expand and develop new plots in fairly easily without hurting the original. Toy Story, despite the challenges they initially encountered in producing the sequel, was also a world prime for continuation.

I’m not saying a Wall-E sequel is impossible, but it definitely is hard to imagine. I mean, the beginning of the movie pretty well represents the 700 years Wall-E had been cleaning the planet. A prequel that takes place prior to that wouldn’t have Wall-E in it, because he hadn’t developed a personality at that point, and it would be primarily live action.

At the end of Wall-E we get a view of the future, and how society started anew. I suppose if a sequel took place here it would be primarily on Earth, and the only conflict I could imagine at the top of my head would be the corporate force trying to rise again, represented by Auto or whatnot, and that would just be redundant. Besides, Wall-E and Eve are together now! I know it’d be fun to see them together in a sequel, but that’s not really a plot. But that’s just what I thought of quickly, there could very well be a valid sequel idea out there somewhere.

Oh, and, hey, first post! Didn’t feel like writing an introduction topic. =P

As a feature-length film, either through theaters or home vid, no way. I can not think of any sensible plot that could fill ninety minutes of screen time. However, as a series of thirty/sixty minute shows on TV, there are possibilities. The easiest one to turn into a series would finding the other arks and bringing the humans and bots on board back home. There is room for adventure there.

The only idea I could think of is robots going crazy, but that’s been used hundreds of times and Pixar looks for ideas outside the box. I think it’s meant to just use your imagination and continue it the way you want it to. Andrew Stanton said the credits show anyone who was worried about how life goes on.

Well i really liked the first WALL-E and think there shoud be a second i mean there was a toy story 2 and it was just as good as the first!! pixar makes really good movies and unless someone gets killed or dies that will never change!!

I can see your point. But it almost seems like the ending of it really did
tell the rest of the tale. If you want to hear more about what happens after I would say go to fanfiction.net and search for it there. People havent run out of ideas yet

I really feel that WALL-E was a very wholesome movie that was all around not needing a sequel in anyway…[/spoil]

i dont think its on fanfiction yet…

That is true, Pixar will always continue their streak of quality movie making. But WALL-E ended so perfectly, that it has no need. WALL-E had a story to tell and that is what id did. I think there isn’t a need for one.

As of this posting, there are twenty-one fics posted in Movies->WALL-E on ff.net Most are Mehh, and I think there are a couple real stinkers there, but they have been posted.

Don’t forget to count the ones here. There are some good WALL-E fanfics here.

Yeah true. I need to search around here more. Maybe I’m not out of material yet :slight_smile:

kk i now know that its on fanfiction so ok

Well, I’m glad that Andrew Stanton wants to move on to other things. He said before that they thought of ideas for a Finding Nemo sequel (ideas about that world), but he said that they are nowhere near as good as the original. He said he’d rather work on new and different projects, like his trilogy of John Carter of Mars. Pixar will only make a sequel if they can think of a really good idea, not because the audience wants one. I can’t really think of a good idea for a WALL-E sequel.

Honestly I did throw around the idea, different ways they could. But I could think of any…sadly

Well hello to all, as you can tell I am very new to the board and this seemed like an interesting topic to touch on. Since Wall-e is probably my new favorite film (this is coming from a person who’s top favorites include Eraserhead and Dr. Strangelove) a sequel is something I probably would not want to see as well. The only thing I could possibly see as a sequel is the following:

Perhaps there would be a conflict with a alien race because they were annoyed by the Axiom polluting the galaxy (via dumping loads of garbage cubes from the airlock) and they come to earth to pollute it back.

That’s the best thing I could thing of haha.

hi welcome to pixar planet! yeah that is a good idea for a story

Thank you for the Welcome :smiley: !

The idea could go anywhere really, other than that I’m not sure what other direction they could go with. Again, Wall-E is a remarkable film that would be beyond difficult to make a sequel to, I mean have they ever made a Citizen Kane II ? heh.

Or Schindlers List?

Well anyway, Andrew Stanton said he wants to move on. “I’m done with fish and now I’m done with robots…”, to quote him. All he said was that it was possible for a sequel, but he doesn’t think he will make any sequel for a long time. I really don’t want a sequel, but can anyone think of a descent plot? I can’t.