Andy's Father?

Well, if you think about the boy in the video Woody was watching in Toy Story 2 quite looked like Andy. Im not saying this for sure but it is possible.

Now THAT would be coincidencial. But cool, nontheless. Andy’s father was thought to be a fan of the show when he was young, so it’s not IMPOSSIBLE.

One point to make: whatever is the cause of the absence of Andy’s father, he was probably around when Molly was at least conceived (if not actually born), although there are a few other possibilities in that regard. For example, Molly could be adopted (but I doubt it’s generally feasible for a widow to adopt) or a half-sister (but then we just raise the issue of where that father vanished off to).

It is

I heard that a book said that Andy’s mom was widowed. He probably was in the military like a lot of you said, but let’s not forget that Molly was a baby in the first two films so Andy’s dad had to have died recently and possibly had blonde hair. Another theory is he left out to the military when Andy was in Kindergarten leaving him Woody in case he never came back and impregnated Andy’s mom with Molly.

Molly and Andy might have different dads

True but Andy seems to love her as a real sister and he’d be old enough to know if she wasn’t really

That’s over-complicating things. I mean, if Andy’s dad died, then everything just makes more sense.

Good point

BTW that last comment was playkid789. To elaborate, how is the audience supposed to assume that Andy and Molly are half-siblings?

They could reveal it in TS3 seeing how a huge percentage of the audience will be teens and adults

There is roughly a five year age gap between Andy and Molly. Andy would have been around five when Molly was born. If their father died, left, etc, around that time, i.e. just after Molly’s birth, If his father gave Woody to him at that time, Andy would’ve been around age five, most likely in Kindergarten, hence Potato Heads’ “Woody’s been Andy’s favorite since Kindergarten” line.

I wrote a fic about Andy’s parents having divorced, but it might seem more likely that he died. -Omar

ya im hoping in toy story 3 it shows andys graduation and he says something like " I wish dad was here to see me"

Disney as well Hollywood has been casting the newer modern family with one parent for the last decade to appeal to modern statistical one parent families. You can see it in many of the Disney films in the last decade as well their television shows. Nickelodeon has also followed this trend and it can be seen as well in the Brad Bird movie The Iron Giant. It’s no surprise that Pixar had this element in Toy Story as long ago as it had, it was picking up on the beginning trend of the time. It also makes the story line less complicated with one less character to contend with.

Generally, unless it impacts the character background or theme, most shows leave such information out so that it does appeal more to the larger demographic audience of one parent families that watch the show.

Yeah, the REAL reason Andy doesn’t have a father was most-likely just to simlify things. One less character to the plot, as well as one less male character to animate.

It’s probably been brought up before, but what father would miss their son’s birthday party?

Or Christmas and Graduation

I always thought the parents were divorced. I’ve grown up in a divorced family my entire life, and I turned out to be a pretty well-rounded kid growing up :stuck_out_tongue:

And, as mentioned before that Andy was five and Molly was just a baby, that’s when the split happened in my family, it just didn’t seem unnatural to me.

I just know that it never crossed my mind that something else could have happened to his father, since that’s how my family is made-up.