Andy's Father?

Hey. The Incredibles are "Disney Characters:, and Helen and Bob are married…<3…

Anyway, why does it matter? His dad obviously didn’t matter much, much like Remy’s mom. It didn’t work. Period.

All I wanted to know was the opinions on what you thought happened to Andy’s father.

Yes. I know that it is just a movie and that he doesn’t have a father because he wasn’t even made. Can we stop mentioning that? Can we pretend he existed at some point like I wanted this whole topic to be about in the first place?

He obviously had a father at some point or else he wouldn’t even be alive.

Maybe… :confused:

Well, maybe they never were married(though I hate to say that about Mrs. Davis)…

I could have been a one night stand, and then Molly could have been a similar “mistake”. I mean, we never see any photos of an adult guy, and…oh I don’t know, I’m just spit balling here.

Konrad thought the same thing. :astonished:

Wow, that’s extremely…awkward. :laughing: I believe it’s her clothing in the first film. I’ve always believed she dressed very sl**ty for a single mother of two, maybe one who had a lot of…male friends. I’ve always held a low opinion of Mrs. Davis, though, so I could be over reacting… o_0

I need to watch the first film again. :open_mouth: I can’t remember what she was wearing off the top of my head at the moment.

Really tight floral pants. They look like tights, which I see as inappropriate for a woman with young children. She looks like…NVM. I shouldn’t say that here… :frowning:

I gotcha. :wink:

It was probably easier to animate those tights than any kind of cloth clothing like a dress or pants though.

I see you’re trying to stay in character.

Anyways, before this thread becomes completely lost, I’d just like to specify what x3haijessiex3 was getting at. We all know the technical explanation for the matter (it seems like people are always giving literal answers). Anyways, Pixar made the choice to not give Andy a father for technical reasons, but there had to have been an explanation of that. There was no way it couldn’t have crossed their minds at Pixar. The popular story is that she’s a widow, but there’s still no sources (although that makes the most sense in the story). The other is that she’s divorced, which some people explain by her moving in the first movie. The whole travel idea just doesn’t work, unless he’s that bad of a father to miss every holiday and important event in his kids’ lives. Besides, Pixar imagined that he was the one who handed Woody down to Andy.

BTW, I think this thread’s been made a couple times.

Lee Unkrich said on his Formspring this:

So I’m guessing we’ll never have an official answer.

But, rather then the… very, very surprising answers I’ve seen in this thread… I mean come on, really? Andy and Molly being “mistakes”. Wow. Seriously??? What is this, The Hangover or one of those “Epic Movie” 's?

Moving on, I’m going to go with this theory - Andy’s mom and Dad had Andy and Molly, and Andy’s Dad passed Woody on to Andy. But, Andy’s Dad died of some cause, accident, disease, something. Now Andy’s Mom is moving out of the house because of all the sad memories in Toy Story.

Speculation, but seems logical.

While I don’t agree with this theory either; the way you bring up these other opinions makes it sound like such a situation is so rare, uncommon and only happen in the fictional universe of crude modern comedies. Every family is different. Let’s not forget even Linguini from Ratatouille is illegitimate.

I guess the most-likely place for the answer would be in early source materials (the widow theory probably came from somewhere). There’s at least two other scripts out there, so the answer might be there.

If it were to ever be addressed I think it’d most likely be in association with the first script which was written before 1995. This is just me, but I feel like it’s unlikely that it was ever canon-ly covered. His mother was probably always referred to simply as ‘a single mother’ if that was even mentionable at the time because it’s possible they choose to keep discrete. Most of the movies that start and end with an unmentioned but missing parental figure stays unmentioned. Aladdin’s mom, Remy’s mom, Jane’s mom, Belle’s mom, Jasmine’s mom, Snow White’s mom, Dumbo’s father…

I have no doubt writers have very very personal and private back stories for these missing adults and there are plenty of inside joke theories too, but nothing that was used in the creative process of the movies as far as reasons why they were cut or not written in at all.

No, I realize this happens a lot in the world, fictional or otherwise, I just seriously doubt that a subject of this nature would be even considered in Pixar, let alone Disney.

But I just gave you an example that it did :smiley:

I unfortunately looked over that little bit. I apologize.

Let me rephrase - I don’t think that Pixar would cover something like that often. We all know they can handle mature matters like that, but I don’t think they’d wanna open a can of worms like that often.

I personally don’t think Pixar has any qualms with worm cans. x] In my opinion they don’t mind at all as long as there is a reason and it furthers the plot. In Ratatouille it was involved in a big turn in the plot. For Toy Story a back story wouldn’t add to the progression of the film. Thus why the subject isn’t covered at all.

Either way Pixar doesn’t seem to cover said issue at all! Because it’s not something to be covered, it’s just life.

From the beginning, Woody was supposed to be a handmedown from his dad, so they were probably close at one point. It’s almost apparent that he died, because like I said earlier, he missed a lot of events in his kids’ lives.

I love the plot that Woody belonged to Andy’s father. But this information was not released until long after the first movie came out, and I think it was an after thought. Just my theory :smiley: And even if it was not, I think it still wasn’t discussed what happened to his father.