Anime/Manga

I think my first anime show was either Pokemon or Dragonball Z. I also watched Digimon, Zoids, One Piece, Hamtaro and Tenchi Muyo as a child as well. As for Naruto, I was hooked on it during sixth grade. Then I lost interest after the Sand Nation invasion, then sasuke turning evil sparked my interest again and after that I lost interest in it completely. But Naruto Shippuden is lookig pretty sweet so I think I’ll watch that.

Me and my friend Ryan also watched Sailor Moon.

^ Heh heh. I remember having a bit of a crush on Sailor Moon when I was little.

I also remember Hamtaro. Used to air on Toonami back in 5th grade or so.

Hamtaro was and is a fantastic show. :wink: I collected the toys and video games too. :slight_smile:

It’s kinda weird it aired on Toonami knowing how cutie it was. It aired on the same block as Dragonball Z.

I’m in the mood to watch some Ghibli movies. I was thinking… I’m not sure, actually. Most of them I haven’t seen in a while.

I’ve acquired the same urge just recently. I might be seeing Only Yesterday soon. I really wish Disney would dub and release it.

^I dont get why they are avoiding it.Obviously due to the content and themes,but its not like it says DISNEY anywhere on the Ghibli DVD cases,so people probably wouldnt associate it with disney anyway.

also,this is slightly ironic

[spoiler][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Menstruation[/url]

(i Know it was about 65 years ago)[/spoiler]

Ahhh, I heard that the menstruation issue may be why Disney isn’t releasing it, but that would just be dumb considering in My Neighbors the Yamadas there’s male frontal nudity in a child and then Pom Poko, which… I shouldn’t even have to say. 8D Oh, and I was curious to find out when the DVD came out, but indeed, there’s a certain private part on the cover that wasn’t hidden.

Yeah, I’m personally just not at all offended by stuff like that. I think in American culture we tend to be more uncomfortable with nudity for some reason, but it’s cartoonish and done for entirely non-sexual purposes in those contexts, so it hardly even strikes me as PG-13 material. That’d be like saying it’s inappropriate to take a bath. :laughing: I find some of our double-standards pretty absurd.

Hunchback had nudity. Esmurelda fire image was naked. At least I read that.

True, but it was made entirely out of fire, so I doubt thoughts like that came into anyone’s minds during that scene. 8D

They also had it in Fantasia.

I really only like Ghibli anime, and I don’t read manga, because I don’t like graphic novels. They seem the same to me.

^Have you tried any of Satoshi Kon’s movies? I’ve only seen Paprika but they seem very much in the same vein/style of Ghibli’s movies based on my exposure, I think you might like him!

Neat! i might see if they are on youtube, or if I can rent them.

I also like Kon Satoshi and have for a long time (7-8 years?), but I would caution newcomers to know that his films are often a lot darker than Ghibli movies. There’s occasional nudity and violence and such, but I do rather like his movies. Paprika is undoubtedly one of his most popular films because of its surreal quality and colorful images, but I might even recommend Millennium Actress instead, which is my personal favorite but also has a deeper, more relatable storyline.

I’m actually surprised there aren’t more quality anime films out there outside of Ghibli and Kon’s movies. Maybe Japan should stop making so many Pokemon movies! ;-p

Yes, things like Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z make us who like anime look silly.

I like both of them. There some of the most populer anime’s ever.