Art and Updates - News Central

I’ve heard a lot about Vancouver from my Canadian friend and he absolutely loves the place- it sounds like such a beautiful location. I’m sure the choice you’ve made is for the better, and it’s good that the university has such a good reputation- I know a lot of people downplay prestige when it comes to further education, saying it doesn’t matter, but it can make such a big difference when it comes to future employment.

I’m not sure how the finance side of things for university works in America or Canada, but is there a chance that you could get bursaries or something like that? It’s good that you’ve got your own plan as to how to finance it all though, since that can be such a big worry when it comes to getting a degree.

Jury duty sounds like fun! At least you’ve got an interesting case, as I’ve heard how boring some of them can be.

Mmm, free popcorn…

'Ello, everyone!

My word, it has been a long time, hasn’t it? Once again, my wonderful procrastination skills have scaled upward, whereas my brain cells have deteriorated. Not only have I misplaced my sense of general knowledge, but I’ve also been unable to relocate it. I’ll explain this in more detail near the end of this post…

I’m sure you guys know what’s coming, but I would still like to apologize for neglected your replies for so long of a time. I won’t deny that I have been busy, but I refuse to lie and say that I didn’t have many a chance to attend Pixar Planet regularly. There’s a reason – an understandable one, hopefully – as to why I don’t visit this site daily, but it’s personal. Don’t think that I don’t enjoy attending to this wonderful haven of a place, though. There is no way on this earth that I would ever desert Pixar Planet.

As always, I do thank you for all of your comments, suggestions, and suppor and encouragement. In all honesty, I appreciate it more than you guys know.

With that said, it is high time that I acknowledge your message…

Hannahmation - It does seem like one’s opportunity to expand upon their knowledge of the universe of art is cut short by a year’s worth of studying, but, from what I’ve heard, it’s a very reputable university and boasts an impressive turn-out of noteworthy students. Not that any other school would be just as appropriate; I just simply wish to attend this particular university above most others.

Ha-ha! Actually, I don’t think the price tag is any cheaper there than it is at any other university, although I haven’t compared prices in a while so I’ve forgotten how expensive it is as compared to, say, CalArts. The cost for the 3-D program alone is a little over $50,000 Canadian dollars, so I’d have to get a loan, no question about it. (snigger)

Thanks! I’m glad you like 'em. I like posting them up. :wink:

Mmm, I think that he’s still my favorite. I think… I’ll have to think on this one! (snigger)

Yep. God is good! :smiley:

thedriveintheatre - Cha, I’m loving the look of that university. Should I ever get there I’m sure I’ll have a blast.

Unfortunately, the “scheme/plan” backfired, but I’m not deterred in the least! I’ve got other techniques hiding up sleeve. :wink:

You’re right: I should have taken a photograph of the titles of those two rooms! Cameras may have been prohibited in that area, though, if not every area. I don’t remember.

It’s nice to meet a fellow “cop show junkie”, by the way. I love watching stuff like that, too. :wink:

I actually did think of asking one of my managers if I could take on a project similar to that of the one that PV did, but I never got to it. However, I have been spreading the Pixar love big time ever since Up came out. Everyone seems to love the movie, including customers and my co-workers!

Lo and behold, I never did attend that screening at Pixar, since I needed to save up my money for college. Perhaps I’ll do it next year…

Actually, I have taken a life drawing class before, and it wasn’t that bad at all. It only took me about five minutes to get over the initial shock, and after that I wasn’t fine. Still, I need to take additional life drawing classes… and lots of them.

I hope that you complete your animated short by the end of this year! All the best to you! :smiley:

Rachel - You’re welcome for the update. I’m only ashamed of myself in that I haven’t been as diligent to reply to you guys’ posts like I should be. So, yes, my sincere apologies.

I’ll definitely take many a picture should I attend the Vancouver Film School. Thank you very much for the well wishes!

Concerning the court case, I was only on it for a total of three days, if memory serves me well. Nevertheless, it was an interesting, albeit unnerving, experience. I don’t look forward to the next case, namely because I was embarrassed beyond the realm of embarrassment the first time around. Still, I’m glad that I got a quick taste of what it’s like to be involved in such a system of government.

Yes, indeed. Our theater does get a bit over-crowded once in a while, but it’s good for business, and I love the thrill and the excitement that such times offer, if you could call it exciting. Most of co-workers seem pretty bored with it, since they’ve been there for a while, but it’s been several months now and I’m still loving the job. That said, I’ll certainly keep you guys “Up”-to-date on the latest news. :wink:

Oh, most definitely. Sharing advice and personal findings with other students is one of the great things about attending such classes and schools, and vice versa.

lizardgirl - That’s great to hear another good report from a Vancouver Film School attendee! Thanks for mentioning it. And, yes, career-wise… it can make all the difference in the world.

We can apply for loans and scholarships here in America, but the amount of funds one can borrow/obtain depends on his/her financial situation. I’ll probably go for a student loan and then pay it off once I secure a position in the industry.

The plan backfired, unfortunately, but I’ve got other strategies on hand. (heheh)

Once again, thank you all for your kind comments!

June 19, 2009 -

• Welp, ze plan backfired. There was a wrench wedged in the gears, so to speak – one that I didn’t take notice of beforehand. I’m not complaining, though. I have other strategies up my sleeve; however, above all, I am trusting God. He’s aided my family uncountable times before, and I’m 100% confident that He’ll help me get to Pixar, too. :wink:

• Concerning that jury case, I was only on it for three days maximum, if I’m not much mistaken. Again, it was a murder case, but I won’t get into the details of the incident at hand. I will say that I was freaked out beyond all comprehension and thought. I’m surprised I didn’t wet my pants when they called me up to sit on the jury so as they could ask me a bunch of questions. It was bad enough that I had to endure the glares of a billion eyes staring at me, but I think I pretty much added the cherry to the cake when I answered one question with one of the stupidest answers I could ever have given. Ah well. At least it wasn’t a complete fiasco. One gentleman said that I was “articulate, if not a bit verbose”. I looked up the word “verbose” in my dictionary as he was talking to me, and he started cracking up laughing. Speaking of which, the only satisfaction I got out of sitting in the “hot seat” is that the plaintiff noticed that I mentioned in the questionnaire pamphlet I was given before being summoned into the court room (which was a pamphlet that was given to everyone) that I read the dictionary for fun/in my spare time (which is a practice that I do exercise because, yes, I am a book geek). I testified to this comment of mine in front of the whole court, to which the plaintiff replied, “And you’re nineteen?” While I was blushing, several other people chuckled. I took it as a compliment. Still, I never want to sit in one of those seats again.

By the way, the plaintiff was great (I loved her tenacious personality), and the judge was funny… as were the comments of several of the individuals called up to be interrogated.

• I sent in an application to Pixar… again. I’m determined to get that Cafe Host job!

• Although I never did attend that screening of Up at Pixar Animation Studios, the buzz is in the air concerning the admirable structure of the film in question. Theater attendees at my workplace absolutely love this film – the kids all quote Dug and the parents rave about the quality of the story. Way to go, Pixar!

• I shall attend a local college this fall as a returning student, and I’ll tell you right now that I am more than eager for the semester to start. I seem to have forgotten the laws of grammar, my speech has become slurred, broken, and uneasy, and I’ve been forgetting even the simplest of things. It’s terribly frustrating. Needless to say, my thirst for knowledge has increased, so I’ll be pleased to attend college once again.

• My artwork… sucks. And, no, don’t you dare say that I shouldn’t demean myself, because you’re right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, though, as proud as I am of this I can detect the errors:

Mitch-el.deviantart.com/art/Camp … -124684783

Wow. What a long post! Enough of this nonsense. Good night, everyone!

Current Position:

To explain: Hmm. You know what? I think I finally understand what God has been trying to tell me…

– Mitch

I’ve heard many good things about the school as well. It definitely looks like a quality school. I’m sorry to hear that your plan backfired though, but it is nice to hear that you haven’t given up hope! Keep the dream alive! And trusting in God is always a good plan. :slight_smile:
It’s cool that you are going to a local college in the fall to continue your education. There is nothing better than gaining knowledge!

You are not alone in the least bit! I assume that I am alone in a lot of things too, so I understand that! Might I suggest a book called Art and Fear by David Bayles and Ted Orland. I found this to be a really great book; it definitely shows that you are not alone in any fears you may have about making art.

Best of luck to you!

Ok, I won’t say anything then. :stuck_out_tongue: