Me neither. This looks like it’s gonna be fun. James is gonna return to roots and create another visual masterpiece.

~ Flare

I will probably love the movie if it turns out not to be a new Pocahontas.

PS: Anybody who enjoyed that masterpiece called King Kong should watch this.

PSS: There is already a thread for this movie… :laughing:

That I made.

Actually, there are two separate movies coming out: Avatar by James Cameron and The Last Airbender by M. Night Shamaylan.
I presume this one is about the first, and annarborjack’s is about the latter.

I haven’t seen much about Cameron’s film, but the premise definitely seems interesting.

New poster released from Comic Con:

I believe it’s of Neytiri, a Na’vi (the natural inhabitants of the alien planet) our protagonist Jake encounters on Pandora. I thought I’d never say this about an extraterrestial, but she looks stunning!

And reviewers at Comic-Con are saying the hype for James Cameron’s next sci-fi epic lives up to the hype.

Cinema Blend
Coming Soon
The Insider review
The Insider

I have to admit, I’m quite surprised. I didn’t think much of this film until I read Cinema Blend’s synopsis. Sounds like a mix between Aliens and Pocahantas. Sounds promising to me so far. I can’t wait for Avatar Day on August 21 so I can pop down to my local IMAX theatre and watch 15 minutes of it for free. :slight_smile:

And here’s the official site.

I like the background soundtrack.

Oh, and I love the tagline:

“An All New World Awaits.”

Anyone else excited yet?

There is Avatar (2009)
Two about Avatar and one about The Last Airbender.

thedriveinthetheatre, as far as I know that’s Sam Worthington’s Avatar, just half alien. It looks like Sam to me.

This is Neytiri (I think):

Ok, I’m just looking for a trailer!

I was gonna post that poster, but you’ve beat me to it, Luke! :slight_smile: My bad, guess I got the genders mixed up (it’s hard to tell with their faces filling the whole poster). But man, are those aliens hot (I know, that sounds weird, but you know…)!

We all are, annaborjack. We all are. :slight_smile:

Preparations for Avatar Day are getting into full swing. Already, two of the biggest cinema chain distributors are already holding lucky draws for a select few to attend the preview screenings!

Greater Union

Hoyts

Reading and Dendy have yet to release a press statement.

I’m annoyed that they don’t offer the tix for sale like some advanced screenings such as Up (GU did the same ‘sweepstakes’ stunt for D9 last week, I entered, but I didn’t win :frowning:). I guess it’s to generate good word-of-mouth, people who’ve ‘won’ the exclusive sneak peek would be less likely to complain about the footage since they already felt privileged to have had a glimpse at it.

As some news pundits are saying, Mr. Cameron has made a smart move at employing a ‘double-dipping’ strategy to promote his film; lure the audience with an enticing preview, and get them wanting to see the full version. Brilliant, Mr. C. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see the online trailer next week! :smiley:

You can sign up for Avatar Day online now…

It took awhile, but I finally got through. A lot of US theatres still have space. For Canadian theatres, you have to choose a US theatre, and then change the location at the top to either Toronto, Montréal, or Calgary, or else you are just taken to the Cineplex official website, which seems to get you nowhere. Don’t ask me why…

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy!

UPDATE: The links off of the official website sometimes go down. Try using the direct links to the theatre of your choosing from this site here: marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/08/a … -down.html

NEW PHOTOS!
filmguide.co.nz/2009/08/20/s … ar-images/

The teaser trailer has made it’s debut online:

apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/hd

Darn it! I was going to post it! Anyway, looks great!

Note that it’s all CGI!

That roaring Na’vi at 1080p is the best CGI I’ve ever seen.

And the world is really beautiful. Note the floating mountains.

It didn’t look completely real like a lot of reviews of early footage said, but it’s certainly the best CGI that I’ve seen.

Happy Avatar Day, everyone! Now if only we could all take a day off to celebrate this momentous occasion… :smiley:

The trailer had that right mix of impressiveness (is that a word?) and not revealing too much (IMO). The aliens’ faces look kinda weird, but after a while you get used to it. Action looks amazing, as are the CGI visuals. Looks very promising, I’m sure Mr. Cameron will blow all our minds through the stratosphere come December! :open_mouth:

The ‘floating mountains’ bit especially reminded me of this underrated French animated film I’ve always wanted to see:

But I think Mr. Cameron and Co. have a few more tricks up their sleeve! After Star Trek and District 9, and (possibly) 9, I think this may shape up to be another winner in what looks like a great year for sci-fi.

• Jake Sully (Sam Worthington’s character)

Indeed! :mrgreen:

Well, okay, since my last post, I’ve watched the trailer a few more times and read opinions on the Internet. My excitement has cooled down somewhat, but I guess it’ll pick up again in two months time. I still have hopes for this, although not as high as I did before the (as of now) underwhelming trailer.

In the meantime, here’s 6 more photos just been released:

6 New Avatar Pictures

Again, Cameroan and Co. promises to sear our eyeballs with VFX goodness, but will the story touch our hearts? And can I ever get to love the weird-looking character design? Only time will tell.

This movie could be a great sci-fi film! It all depends on the storyline…

I actually went to that Avatar Day screening and it was a great 3-D preview experience. The visuals look fantastic! :astonished:

Wow, you attended the preview screenings, movieman? :open_mouth: Here in Oz, they had lucky draws, so it’s not like you can walk up to the B.O. and even pay to see it. :angry:

I understand they showed about 15 minutes from the movie? From that impression, what do you think of the storyline? Dialogue? Characterisation? We know how good the special effects will be already, so I’m more concerned about the script. :wink:

For fans of motion picture soundtracks, Movie Score Magazine declares James Horner’s score “the film music event of the year”, “epic”, and “hugely cinematic” after listening to a preview. That’s a pretty big claim after the spectacular Star Trek and Up soundtracks, especially with The Princess and the Frog’s musical-influenced one coming out round the same time, but if the hype is to be believed, I think movie music fans are in for a treat. :wink:

5 words:
The girl alien is hot!

And I forgot her name!