Birds of a Feather [Incredibles]

I thought the third person part was hilarious, myself, and he does it on a frequent basis, usually when he’s stressed. It makes everything funnier.

Well, I was planning on explaining it in episode 1b. Every time I tried to start with how he survived, it would never turn out right. So I figured I’d start with Raven and work my way into that part. And I’m working on it as we speak, so it should be up soon.

Thanks for reviewing! It means a lot to me. :3

So, here’s Episode 1b. The B titles will usually be add-ons to the A titles or something to that effect. There’s lots of talking in this bit, and another new character. Kudos to anyone who laughs at the title before reading the chapter because they get the nerd joke. :laughing: If you don’t, it’s vaguely explained later on.

Episode 1b: …And A Cat Named Schrödinger

Raven ran her hand along the cool metal side of the laptop. “This is amazing.”
“If that’s amazing, you should see some of my other work.” Phoenix smirked a little as they walked down the hallway toward his current home. “I just took the basic interface of your old laptop and gave it an upgrade and a new face with some of the stuff I had lying around here. It is pretty good for such a compact size though. I’ve been working on that.”
“Remind me why you’re not working for some big corporation and making good computers for the general public.”
Phoenix shrugged. “They’d either bog it down or charge more than it’s worth. The main point of that statement is that they’re a corporation. They’re trying to make money. I’m not. I’m just here to help.”
“Why, though?”
“Why, what?” The door unlocked as the inventor approached, and Raven only had a split second to wonder why before she reverted to thinking about his question.
“Why are you just here to help?”
“I’m not familiar with the entire story, seeing as how I’m on the back end of it…” Phoenix turned the doorknob and pushed the door open, a wave of cool air blasting in their faces before he stepped in.
“What I do know is that I was in really bad condition after… some sort of accident. I somehow got to the NSA, and asked them to make me forget everything. I had a really bad grudge against some guy, and I wasn’t a very nice person. I just wanted to start over.
“They erased my memories of my history, but not my memories of my inventions or how I made what I did, because they saw a use for me. I became an entirely new person from the ashes of my old self… and that’s why they call me Phoenix.”
“You had this all planned?” Raven asked as she glanced around at his apartment-like housing unit. Without illumination, the entire place was shrouded in a light blue-grey, matching the cool temperature. She thought she saw an animal for a moment, but when she glanced back, it was gone.
“Well, I had the name planned before I lost everything, yes. I wanted to help people deep down, and I managed to oblige that part before the… not so nice part surfaced again.”
“And you’ve been hanging around here ever since?”
“I only started being able to move around without pain recently. I don’t even remember most of the past few years.”
“Wow.”
“Well, this is it.” Phoenix sat down on a grey couch. It looked comfortable enough, and Raven sat on the other end, careful to keep her distance. The laptop came to rest on her lap, and she glanced down at it. It looked so sleek and smooth, she couldn’t help but run her fingertips across the metal again.
“Thanks again for the laptop.”
“It’s no problem, really. Oh, if you see Schrödinger, don’t mind him.”
“Who’s Schrödinger?” Raven asked, looking up.
“He’s the cat you saw earlier.”
“How did you-“
“You looked at him just before he shifted.” Phoenix shrugged. “I notice a lot of things people don’t think I notice. I just keep quiet about them unless the issue comes up.”
Raven blinked as his statement processed. “Before he what now?”
“Before he shifted. That’s what I call it when he moves through solid objects.”
“A cat that moves through solid objects…?”
“Okay, apparently I can’t get by with a sparse explanation.” Phoenix sighed and stared out the window. “Schrödinger was a dying cat I found a while ago. I decided I wanted to see if something would work, so I gave him some… supplements.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“I figured out how to give him humanlike intelligence, speech capabilities, and a couple of powers. I thought I’d call him Schrödinger because he’s alive, and yet a good amount of him is machine, which is not alive. He’s alive and not alive at the same time, which is the basic principle of Schrödinger’s cat. It’s a bit skewed for my purposes, but hey. It’s a cat that talks and walks through walls. What are you going to do.”
“Wow.” Raven stared at her new partner. “How did you figure out how to give him powers?”
“I found out that in my ‘other life’ as I like to call it, I had been doing extensive research on how to artificially create superpowers. It apparently never came to fruition, but I figured out how to do it with animals as Schrödinger proved.”
“That’s amazing,” Raven mused, keeping her thoughts about how great it was that Syndrome hadn’t figured it out but Phoenix had to herself.
“Yeah, but I’ll never try it on people.”
“Why not?”
“Well, Schrödinger’s body accepted it better because he couldn’t feel the pain that came along with it. With a human, it’d have to be way more intense, and the pain from it would torture if not kill a person from shock. I don’t even want to test it out if it does something like that. Nature doesn’t like being tampered with.”
“Well, at least you don’t want to hurt people.”
“I figured that I’ve done enough of that in my lifetime, however short it’s been.”
Raven looked over at Phoenix for a minute, then started fiddling with her leather jacket.
“Why is it so cold in here?”
“I don’t know. It always has been.” Phoenix shook his head. “I think that someone thought with the nickname ‘Phoenix’ and my hair the way it is… they thought I had some sort of fire-based power or something. Rick doesn’t know because I didn’t complain about it, but…”
“Why not?”
“I don’t like complaining to Rick. Usually he gives me this look and it makes me feel like my problem is insignificant and that I really shouldn’t have brought it up, and then I feel like I’m being whiny and annoying. So I just don’t tell him the petty stuff anymore, and eventually I stopped being bothered by stuff as much.”
“You really have changed.”
“Huh?”
“Before the, ah…” Raven cleared her throat before continuing, “…accident, you weren’t the nicest person, obviously. You weren’t all that pleasant to be around, and you were horribly self-centered and childish. I like this new you much better.”
“Um, thanks?” Phoenix laughed nervously. “According to Rick, this is who I was deep down. Most of one’s personality is shaped by your memories, and this is me untainted by all that… bad stuff. Deep down, whoever I was ended up being a sarcastic optimist. Who knew?”
“I don’t think the sarcasm was deep down,” Raven said with a chuckle. “Listen, I should really be getting home. I need to tell my family the good news, and test out this little box of awesome.” She tapped the laptop gently.
“Okay. I’ll see you… when?”
“Tomorrow morning. I still haven’t gotten any cases yet because I haven’t heard anything, really. I plan to rectify that tomorrow.”
“Sounds like a plan.”
“See you then.” Raven smiled and walked out of the room. Phoenix didn’t notice the door closing, though, as Schrödinger had just appeared on the seat beside him.
“See? Rick was right. She did warm up to you.”
“You really need to stop following me places outside,” Phoenix responded. “I think you almost gave someone a heart attack.”
Schrödinger rolled his eyes. “Whatever. You know what you should do?”
“What?”
“Invent a time machine and something that creates pyrokinesis, then go back in time to when you were still healing up and give it to yourself.”
“Then I’d have the weaknesses that go along with it, though. I think I’ll just invent something for it.”
“Bo-ring.” Schrödinger stood up, his tail waving slightly. “Listen, I’d love to stay and chat, but I know you’ve got better things to do. In other words, check you later, I’m gone.” With that, Schrödinger jumped straight through the wall, and Phoenix was cold and alone, just like in his first memory.

Wow, you’re a much more talented writer than I anticipated! :open_mouth: And I don’t mean to flatter you with that statement, I give praise when it’s due (and criticisms when it’s deserved!). How long have you been writing fanfics?

Unfortunately I didn’t get the geek joke and had to google it. Talk about a metaphysical paradox! I love this story, for some reason, I can imagine I’m watching a cute and quirky cop show. Your style is very similar to Life (one of my favourite philosophical police procedurals starring Damien Lewis). I don’t quite know how to describe it, it just has this very charming and pensive nature to it. Whether it can pull just as good dramatic punches, we’ll have to see, but so far I like the whole eccentric, endearing ‘mood’ to it.

Did I just make sense? To use an analogy, TSS’ Incredibles fanfic (which I recommend you read, BTW) is like an action series, like CSI or Flashpoint. And little_chef’s stories (who is also another great writer) are like a soap opera, in a very loose and simplistic sense. I would classify yours in the league of NCIS or Bones, very light-hearted and amusing, but just as entertaining.

This is just my snap impression. Whether the story gets ‘darker’ as we go along is up to you. But I like it! Like I said, I’m really eager for their first case to start, as well as that whole mystery of how-da-heck-did-he-survive-that-explosion! :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. I’m liking Schrödinger already! That’s one cool cat.

Oooh, I can’t believe I missed this. Thanks so much for taking up the challenge! You did well!

-Proceeds to shower Arkie with love-

My only real quibble right now would be spacing between paragraphs and what not between people speaking etc, a wall of text is a bit difficult to wade through and can be a bit daunting for readers.

Thanks to both of you and I’m glad you like it so much. :slight_smile:

TDIT: Uh, thanks? :laughing: I’ve been actively writing fanfics since around fifth grade, but they only really started to improve since I’ve gotten into high school.

That’s kind of the feel I was going for. I don’t want it to get too dark and serious, there are plenty of other Incredibles fanfics for that. I’ve found that I can’t identify with my own writing if I can’t laugh about at least two different things in a chapter even if I’m the only one that finds it funny, but it tends to make it very difficult to write extremely dark scenes. Eh, I can do without for now and I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I’ve read “Syndrome’s Return” (twice) but I don’t think I’ve gotten around to reading the others yet. I like being compared to Bones because I really like it, and I’ve heard that NCIS has a not-depressed goth character and I’ve been trying to give Raven that outlook to some extent.

I’m glad you like Schrödinger, too. It took me a while to figure out how to write him, but I like the way he turned out.

mentalguru: For the longest time, it was an on/off Synlet. I couldn’t decide which way to go with it. I liked the idea of it as a Synlet, but I’m already writing three and I want to try something different. Your fic convinced me to try something new and share it with people who aren’t exactly into my pairing choice.

And about the paragraph spacing, I’ll try and work on that, thanks. :slight_smile:

:mrgreen: Scrhödinger is my new favorite character! I liked this chapter, especially how Nix says that who is now is who he really was all along, underneath his childish, cynical and evil exterior. I’m interested to see what happens next. Is Raven going to tell her family about Nix? Will he ever remember anything from his past? Can Schrödinger be trusted? Will I ever stop asking questions? I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Evil: Well, I wanted to make it so that deep down he was really Incrediboy even after all the stuff that ended up happening to him. He was still brilliant, still wanted to help people, fairly optimistic and yet snarky as I’m sure he would’ve gotten in later years.

As for your questions, I assure you that next episode will answer at least one of them.

I agree with mentalguru about spacing out your paragraphs, something to keep in mind. Do you have this on fanfiction.net?

Oh, and you should really watch Life if you get the chance, Arkie. It has a very similar vibe to Bones/Castle/NCIS/your story; cute, charming and quirky. The premise in a nutshell is Damien Lewis plays a disgraced cop who was wrongfully accused of a crime he did not commit. After DNA evidence surfaced, thus exonerating him, he was released from prison and reinstated to the LAPD with a $50 million compensation. In prison, he underwent a ‘mental and spiritual rebirth’ after studying a Zen book, and now armed with his new outlook on life (as well as a gun and a badge), he sets out to bring those who framed him to justice, while solving the crimes he gets assigned with his reluctant female partner. It’s a great show about revenge and redemption and all those grand themes, with Lewis philosophizing Buddhist quotes while chasing bad guys, so I highly recommend it as some ‘story inspiration’! :mrgreen:

Oh, and the Goth girl from NCIS is Abbie. She’s my favourite character next to Dinozzo! Who knew Goths could be so cheerful? :slight_smile:

Not yet. I don’t know if I’m going to put it up there or not, I’ve been debating for a while.

I’ll have to remember to watch it when I get the chance. :slight_smile:

It’s rather amusing to me you compared her to Abbey from NCIS thedriveintheatre, I’ve been told my version of older!Boo has been like her (though I haven’t watched a lot of the show to really know if this is true but I do see similarities when I have). She’s not really goth my version of Boo, but then she certainly wouldn’t think anything but be too off about hard core goth style really IMO and I could see her giving it a try. My Boo is basically an optimistic, caring person but also a bit reckless, random and strange and kind of a liar. She doesn’t care much about being strange though she kind of revels in it. LOL. Basically goes with the territory the liar bit in my opinion, if monsters are in her life.

Plus she becomes friends with Randall.

And though I haven’t written that I kind of did want to make the Incredibles a comic book series in her world and for her to have been an albeit casual Syndrome fan, just because I find that sort of thing amusing. I kind of always did in Pixar movies (you know like Boo having both a Jessie doll and a toy which looking like Nemo and things like that).

As you do of course. XD.

Anyway yes, your story is very enetrtaining Arkie but I’ve made this mistake before too in a completely different fandom ages ago with spacing, I got a lot of people interested in an Avatar: TLA story in a forum but when posting on ff.net first review I got was more or less: “WALL OF TEXT: CANNOT READ.” FF.net has definitly got a higher readership and so you get more people like that just playing by odds, just as a heads up.

Anyway, can’t wait to read more from you!

This took forever due to drama attacks and school starting, but I finally got it done. It’s a little bit short compared to the first two, but I just couldn’t drag it out any more.

Episode 2a: Explanations

“Hey, Vi. What are you doing here? Is something wrong?”

Raven smiled and shook her head. Her parents still hadn’t gotten used to the change from ‘Vi’ to ‘Raven.’

“No, I just need to talk to you and Dad.”

Helen looked a bit apprehensive. Their daughter usually just called once a week to let them know she was okay. She generally didn’t show up at the house unless something was upsetting her.

“Alright…”

Raven entered her former house, smiling at the nostalgia she felt while she nervously adjusted her striped arm warmers. She’d dropped her usual purple and black color scheme that she wore in favor of a red and black one, paying homage to the team she was once a part of.

For a while, Raven meandered around the home, finding subtle deviations from her memories of the place. After some time, she finally made her way into the living room, where her parents were seated.

“So, what brings you here?” Bob asked, a certain note of concern in his voice.

“Well, I just felt like I should tell you guys… Remember how I sent in a request to the NSA for a partner for my detective stuff?”

Helen and Bob glanced at one another before nodding.

“Well, it’s Syndrome,” Raven said bluntly.

Helen stared at Raven for a good minute and a half, while Bob’s jaw clenched with anger as he gave a death glare to the door across from him.

“How?” the wife asked, then turned to her husband for a moment.

“Honey, calm down. You’re going to break the chair.”

Bob shook his head. “Sorry.”

Raven blinked at her father before informing Helen of what had happened.

“Well, I’m not exactly sure how he survived, since Rick still hasn’t told me, but he got his memories wiped. He doesn’t know a thing about himself as Syndrome. He doesn’t even know his original name.”

“Were you ever planning on bringing him over here?” Helen inquired.

“Eventually, yeah. He’s still got all his brilliance, but now he’s a lot more… helpful, to say the least. He doesn’t want to hurt people, he wants to help them. It’s… amazing, who he was deep down.”

“How soon can you get him here?” Bob asked, obviously cynical about the idea of Syndrome being good.

Raven thought for a moment. “I’m not sure. I could call and ask Rick if he can come over.”

“I’m just finding it hard to believe that he’s actually turned around,” Bob said, staring at the door again.

“Well, he’s got a little bit of the same personality,” Raven said, grimacing slightly as she took out her cell phone.

“He’s not malicious, but he can get a bit sarcastic and he’s prone to bursts of severe annoyance, although I haven’t seen any of the characteristic Syndrome anger-bursts.”

“Why would his personality completely change?”

“Well, personality is supposedly built on both genetics and how you were raised. If you take away one, it just leaves the other for plausible traits.” Raven dialed the number for the NSA while Helen attempted to calm down her husband at least a little bit.

“Hey, Rick? Is it safe for Phoenix to come over to my parents’ house? They want to see him. I just wanted to clear it with you first in case it’ll- oh, it won’t? Can you call him and ask if he wants to come over here? Okay, thanks. Talk to you later.”

Raven hung up, smiling at her parents. “There’s no way he’ll be able to remember anything just by seeing you, or even by hearing his old name from you. They made sure to get pretty much everything out, leaving no residual memories to pick up on. If you still want to call him Buddy, though, I’m sure he’d probably let you, seeing as how you call me Vi.”

“Well, you didn’t legally change your name, and even if you had, we probably wouldn’t call you Raven anyway,” Dash interjected, appearing at Raven’s side.

“Who’s coming over? Phoenix? Who’s that? Is it a new Super you met? Is it a boy or a girl?”

Raven smirked and punched Dash lightly in the shoulder. “Still as twerp-y as ever, I see. Phoenix is a guy, he’s my new partner, and you’re probably going to want to send Jack to his room or else Phoenix might actually end up bursting into flame, and I wouldn’t like that.”

“Why would he get mad at Jack?”

“No, I mean that Jack will probably set him on fire.”

“Why would he do that?”

Raven smacked her forehead. “I just explained all of this to mom and dad, Dash. Long story short, he’s Syndrome with no memories.”

Dash stared at Raven for a moment before running off to keep Jack (and probably himself) safe.

Well, that went pretty good, Raven thought to herself.

“I hope Rick was right about the whole memory thing. I don’t think I can face Syndrome again in my own house spontaneously with no warning… again.” Bob frowned.

“I’m sure he knows what he’s talking about,” Raven responded.

The doorbell rang.

Well, from my somewhat extensive viewing of the show, I can tell that your version of Boo shares a few traits with Abbey like being optimistic, caring, random and strange. But Abbey is definitely not reckless or a liar. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant coincidence your character is similar to Abbey in some aspects! :slight_smile:

Arkie - Argh, cliffhanger ending! :frowning:

Well, great writing as usual. I like how you fleshed out the little nuances (little actions like smiling, staring, shaking head, etc.), and that you have a strong grasp of the ‘show, not tell’ concept. Things like Helen chiding Bob not to break the chair (a great display of his deep-seated anger and mistrust of Syndrome/Phoenix), or Dash not growing out of his rapid-fire line of questioning.

The only qualm I have is that (who I assume is) Syndrome shows up too quickly and conveniently without giving Violet prior notice after her call to Rick. Maybe if she had mentioned “he was on his way” or something, it would have made more sense. Unless you meant it as a ‘surprise drop-by’.

Keep up the good work, can’t wait to find out who’s standing on the porch.

Thanks! I wanted to try to stay at least semi-true to the film, unlike a lot of fanfics out there. That’s why Bob and Helen were supportive of Vi/Raven when she wanted to do her own thing, because I just can’t honestly believe that they’d get mad at her for giving back to society in her own way.

It was originally going to be Phoenix on the doorstep, but I decided that something else made much more sense so I’m going to go that path instead. Hopefully it’ll be up soon.

Yay! You haven’t updated in so long! :smiley: TDIT pretty much summed it up, especially the bit about the little actions. A lot of fanfiction writers just have line after line of text, and it can get boring, not to mention confusing. Sometimes I lose track of who’s talking 8D You manage to keep everyone in character very well too.

I only have one complaint. Actually, it’s not really a complaint, more me thinking aloud here, and a general issue I have with all Syndrome fanfics (including Synlet) that follow this basic storyline. He killed people. A lot of people. About, what, 20 supers? More? I’m not really sure. Either way, he could technically be defined as a serial killer. As much as he is my favorite Pixar character, you can’t really deny that fact. I can’t help but think Bob, Helen, the NSA, and yes, Violet, would take issue with that. Even if he did claim to be reformed, or had his memories wiped, I doubt Robert would take the news that he was alive that well. But like I said, this doesn’t apply only to your fanfic, it’s just something that’s always bugged me. I realize that if fan fics were totally realistic, very few would get written though. I seem to be rambling, my aplogies. Great job, and I can’t wait to see what happens next :smiley:

Well, the next episode was already titled “Altercations,” if that tells you anything. :laughing: Bob is less okay with the idea of the NSA keeping a Super-killer alive in person than he is on the phone.

Needless to say the next chapter may be just a tad graphic, violence-wise.

It’s still short compared to the first two, but it’s longer than the third one. Behold! Episode 2B!

Warning- this chapter does have some violence in it, and there’s a little bit of blood.

Episode 2b: Altercations

Raven opened the door, hoping to see Phoenix. Instead, Schrödinger was standing on the doorstep, licking one of his paws.

“Phoenix wanted me to shift over here and inform you that he’s on his way. He shouldn’t take long.”

“Vi, who is it?” Helen called from the living room, stretching her neck out in order to be able to see the door but finding no one visible.

“It’s, uh… his super-powered cat,” Raven said, turning bright red due to the absurdity of what she’d just said.

“I can introduce myself, thanks,” Schrödinger said with an annoyed flick of his tail, and before Raven could even blink, he was already standing in the living room. She rushed into the room, picking him up while chiding, “Bad kitty.”

Schrödinger rolled his eyes and shifted back into the living room. “I’m Schrödinger. I’m a cat with the ability to basically teleport and phase through things at will.”

Bob and Helen looked at Schrödinger as though a giant block of Parmesan cheese had just crashed through their roof without warning.

“BAD kitty!” Raven protested, forming a forcefield around him and throwing it across the room. When she turned back, Schrödinger was sitting atop a chair, glaring at her.

“Really? Is that the best you can do?”

Raven was about to drop-kick the quick-witted cat when she heard crashing noises coming from outside.

“I’m guessing that’s Phoenix,” Raven muttered, going toward the door. Bob was about to stand, but Helen shook her head.

The knocking on the door prompted Raven to open it, revealing the redhead on the other side.

“Hey, Phoenix. Your cat showed up, and he’s really annoying. You smell kind of singed, did something go wrong?”

Phoenix scratched the back of his head sheepishly. “Well, my rocket boots are prone to malfunctioning, and they did about halfway through the trip over here, and there was some fire, but it’s okay now.”

Raven stared at her partner in almost disbelief for a few seconds before moving out of the way to allow him access. His attention span seemed to be scattered as he glanced about erratically, never paying attention to any one object for more than one point five seconds. Raven counted.

Naturally, it didn’t take long at all before they were in the living room. Helen stood, putting on an almost-believable smile for the former nemesis of her entire family. Thrusting her hand before him a little too forcefully, she gave her forced homemaker smile and said through barely gritted teeth, “Hello, Phoenix. I’m Violet’s mother. Please make yourself at home.”

“Violet? Oh,” Phoenix said, waving his hand upward in what seemed to be a gesture of recognition, “that’s Raven’s given name. I’m sorry for whatever I’ve done to make you so angry at me, and I hope that someday we’ll be on good enough terms so you won’t have to strain to smile when I’m around.” The former supervillain grinned in what seemed to be a sincere manner as he shook her hand, which disoriented Helen more than a bit.

Bob, on the other hand, hadn’t even made an effort to put on a façade of gentility. His mouth was in a deep scowl, and his fists were clenched so tightly that his knuckles were white. Phoenix’s eyebrows raised in a combination of surprise and fear as he looked at the hulking hero.

“Um, Raven? Is something wrong with him? He seems to be a lot angrier at me than your mom.”

“Uh…” Raven looked between her partner and her father. “Rick didn’t tell me that I could tell you what went on between you two without you regaining memories, and if you did I’m pretty sure he’d kill you… again.”

Despite the obvious danger, Phoenix approached Bob anyway. “Well, I’m sorry for whatever I may have done, and I know that doesn’t make it better, but- urk!”

This final sound effect was caused by Bob rising from his seat, grabbing Phoenix by the throat, and lifting him up; paralleling the manner in which he’d choked Mirage so many years ago. When the hero finally spoke, it was in a low growl that Phoenix could barely hear even at his proximity.

“If you hurt my daughter, I will make you so miserable you will wish you’d never been born.”

Phoenix nodded as much as he could, still clawing futilely at his throat in an attempt to get the super-strong hand away from his windpipe.

The redhead fell as Bob dropped him, staring down at the coughing form that he detested so much with contempt.

“I, uh, wasn’t planning on it,” Phoenix mumbled as he stood, his knees shaking beyond belief.

“How did you survive?” Bob was still clearly angry, his voice not raising to any higher pitch or volume.

“Um.” Phoenix glanced around nervously, not wanting to get hurt for a wrong answer. “As far as I know, very few of my organs and tissues were damaged by the main accident, most of the damage was from the burns of the explosion. The NSA didn’t take long to find me, because for some reason they were already in the area. I guess they had to relocate somebody. They took me into their medical wing and got me back into… working order within the past few years. That’s what I’ve been told, at least.”

It seemed like it took a while to process in Bob’s mind, but when it did, Phoenix was flying into the adjacent wall, courtesy of the superhero’s right hook.

“Bob!” Helen berated, noting that Phoenix’s forehead had a little bit of blood running down it.

“I didn’t hit him that hard!” Bob protested, his fists finally unclenching in order to form a ‘what’ position as he spoke. Helen’s glare at Bob in response was more of a “you shouldn’t have hit him into the wall” glare than a “you shouldn’t have hit him” one.

Raven, rather than arguing, grabbed a few tissues and pressed them to Phoenix’s head. The inventor grinned weakly.

“Well, I guess I had that coming after everything that happened, didn’t I?”

“There’s a lot more where that came from,” Bob muttered under his breath.

“Where did the cat go?” Raven asked, looking up to find that Schrödinger had long-since disappeared from the chair.

“Probably home,” Phoenix mumbled. “He doesn’t like being around fights. I don’t feel good.”

“Somebody should probably call Rick,” Raven said, still wiping blood off of his forehead. “I’m getting the feeling that this won’t end well.”

Hooray! Love the new chapter. I know I’ve said this already, but Schrödinger is the best cat in the history of cats. He kinda reminds me of Salem, from Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

Oh, by the way, I love your new sig :wink:

Thanks! He’s the most sarcastic cat that side of the San Andreas Fault! -brick’d-

I love it too! :smiley:

Wow, that Schrödinger’s one bad kitty! And poor Phoenix, as much as he deserved that punch, didn’t Mr Incredible kill him once already?

The only thing I didn’t like was the statement:

It would be better if she had said that, or demonstrated that while she didn’t object to the punch, she wasn’t pleased with the intensity of it, in some way. Again, it’s the ‘Show, Not Tell’ principle, but it’s a minor quibble compared to the rest of the great writing.

Please continue, I’d like to see the duo start their first case! :smiley:

This is a great fanfic! I’ll be waiting for more. :smiley: