Blog blunders

I wanted to bring you guys to the attention of a little glitch that I’ve come across…

Whenever I write a comment underneath the blog and it comes up with a word that it doesn’t know, my browser will put a red line underneath it because it is apparently spelled wrong, or it doesn’t recognise the word (Pixar, B’N’L, for example), then if I try to post the comment with the “misspelt” word anyway, it will only post the words that are apparently correct and not the other words, which makes for a confusing comment with words missing here and there.

Even when I right click and add that word to the dictionary, it still won’t let the word get through. I’m using Mozilla Firefox.

rachel - I’m using Safari and have encountered the same problem (minus the incident involving the “misspelt” words disappearing from the scene), and unless I’m much, much mistaken (which I probably am), the “red line correction” problem is due to an installed version of Microsoft Word on your computer, or something similar.

I don’t mind it that much. As a matter of fact, I favor the previously bothersome program in that I am able to correct my spelling mistakes. However, I didn’t know that it was causing others an extra bout of trouble. Nothing that can’t be fixed by Mell (my lord and master) or bawpcwpn, I’m sure. Heheh.

– Mitch

P.S. Shouldn’t this topic of discussion be in the “Troubleshooting” section? Just curious…

Hi Rachel! Mozilla Firefox 2 has a built-in spell check feature which puts a red dotted line beneath words which aren’t in it’s dictionary. It should still post the full message whether it’s in the dictionary or not though.

I’m having a problem seeing the problem on my end. Have you posted entries with this problem? All the comments I can see on the blog have the word ‘Pixar’ in and the full messages seem to show fine for me.

I installed the English-US dictionary to test what happens when you post to the blog and it’s working on my end. Are you using Firefox for PC or for Mac? There could be a difference between them. Does it do the same thing across other sites you use? How are you adding words into the dictionary? Try right-clicking on the field and going to the ‘Add to dictionary’ option, or else there’s an option for ‘Spell check this field’ which you can uncheck – if it’s just unrecognised words which don’t show up, that could fix the problem.

Mitch - But I don’t even have Microsoft Word!

Mell ‘But why is the rum gone?’ O Drama - Well, to get around the words that wouldn’t come up, I would either change that word or just not include it in the sentence altogether: for example I would change BNL to Buy and Large, which would sort of temporarily fix the issue.

I’m using Firefox for PC. I’ve never had any problem with other sites I’ve used. To add a word to the dictionary, I right-click it and click “Add to dictionary.”

I’m encountering a similar problem that has to do with typing in comments, some words just don’t show up, like I tried to type WDW (Walt Disney World) and it didn’t show up same with LOL… I have no idea why… BTW I use Internet Explorer.

rachel - Yeah, see?! I know next to nothing about computers. It stinks, but that’s what education is for… (snigger)

I was thinking about PCs and not Macs. I suppose that it (Microsoft Word) could be installed on either system but, since you don’t “own” the program, I should just scratch that idea anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

Mitch - I don’t think Microsoft Word is the issue, here. But I could be wrong. I don’t know about the behind the scenes computer stuff, anyway. As long as I can go on the 'net, do my editing, and work everything else I’m happy. But thanks for trying to help. :mrgreen:

martini - That’s the same problem as me. It’s not posting those words because they are apparently spelt wrong.

I’m not sure but I suspect it might have something to do with anti-spam protection in the comments. It doesn’t like acronyms for some reason.

rachel - Eheheh. No problem. :wink:

I should just leave this technical business to the pros…

– mitch

Okay, if you guys refresh, I’ve fixed the problems with acronyms like LOL appearing.

Rachel, I’ve got the latest Firefox with the spellchecker running on a PC and unrecognised words still post for me! Can you give me an example of what you’ve tried to post, and I’ll see if I can replicate what’s happening on my machine to work out how to fix it? Like I said before, in your comments, words like ‘Pixar’ are still showing up for me, so I’m a little stumped! If it was only words like BNL that weren’t showing up, it’s not linked to the spellchecker, it’s a different issue (the same as the LOL problem), which I’ve now fixed.

Mell ‘Yes, well, we do dream on a budget here, don’t we?’ O Drama - Just words like “BNL” which is an acronymn for Buy and Large… It won’t let “Lasseter” go through. Basically anything that isn’t added to the dictionary.

The acronym problem should be fixed now, refresh the blog to get the latest code.

What happens when you put in Lasseter? I tried it, and it previewed and posted fine. Is this what appears for you?

Ok, I’ve tested it out and it seems to work now. But I’ll let you know if I come across the problem again. Thanks for your help.

:mrgreen:

I’m having login problems with the blog. It’s nothing extreme I don’t think, it’s just that it never loads completely. The last time I tried to log in to post a comment, it was loading for 45 minutes… and it never fully loaded.

I’m using AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet.

Bill- I don’t think it has anything to do with your ISP or Internet Speed. Mind telling us what browser you are using?