Bolt

I saw Bolt. Well, it’s no Pixar film, but I personally enjoyed it more than Meet the Robinsons. I liked the pigeons, they were really funny, but maybe they should have kept with the same pigeons all the way through rather than introducing new ones. But I guess they were used to represent the different states of the US. Overall an ok movie, and worth a rental on DVD for a second viewing.

My criticisms would be:

• Miley Cyrus’ voice annoyed me a bit. I couldn’t look past her as an actress.
  • I don’t think the characters were fleshed out enough. I really didn’t feel a connection with any of them.
  • Some choices of “camera angles” confused me. They used the first person POV too many times when another angle would have been more appropriate and given more information to the viewer. Also, some shots were very quick before moving onto the next shot or scene. It felt a bit rushed.
  • There should have been more of a difference between the new Bolt and the old Bolt, so the audience could see there was a difference.

But other than that it was ok. I suppose I just expected more because I thought John Lasseter was going to change things at Disney. The end credits were cute. The thing these days, ever since Ratatouille, seems to be about having 2D credits on 3D animated films. I would have liked to have seen what this movie would originally have been like had it still been directed by Chris Sanders, but maybe it didn’t fit with the image Disney wanted to portray. Guess we’ll never know…

Oh, and they didn’t even play the Up trailer! They played Monsters vs. Aliens instead. Boo!

Interesting review, Rachel. I’d just like to respond to each of your criticisms, if you don’t mind (SPOILERS AHEAD!):

• I kind of agree with the first one. She sounds weird outside her “Montana” element, but she kind of conveyed the appropriate emotions in her voice (especially in the the touching climax).

• Really? Though not as rich as most of Pixar’s efforts, I felt each character goes through their respective development arc. Bolt learns how to be a normal dog and “lighten up”, Mittens learns to trust humans again and ultimately gains redemption and a friend in Bolt, and Rhino gets to go on the adventure he has always yearned for.

• I wasn’t really paying attention to camera angles, but I thought they were appropriate for each scene. I do agree that they should have gone for more wide-angle shots, and ‘lingered’ on the more picturesque scene-setting shots. It felt like a Bourne movie, when I would have preferred something more along the lines of Cars (not only because it was a similar road trip movie, but we get to admire the beautiful scenery views as well).

• I disagree with this point.

Old Bolt - deluded about his superpowers, distrusting of anyone but Penny and prejudiced against cats (probably because they were always allied with the Green-Eyed Man), narrow world view (ignorant about anything beyond his sheltered studio existence), and basically too highly-strung.

New Bolt - enlightened about his lack of any superpowers, trusts other humans (in the trailer park scene), becomes best friends with his former enemy, learns to be a ‘real’ dog and rediscovers the joy of a life without danger and peril.

One important visual signifier of his change in his attitude was the fading of his paint-on bolt on his side over time.

The same could be said for the other characters, including Penny and her mum (who learned to stand up to their manipulative agent).

I noticed the common 2-D aesthetics in the credits too, I just saw Madagascar 2, and they had a similar style (albeit in a more cut-out paper figurines look). Maybe a reference to their 2-D hand-drawn origins?

I would have also liked to see Chris Sanders more ‘adult version’, as that would have really pushed the boundaries of the genre and would probably more refreshing. As me and other people here have mentioned, the plot is familiar, the characters inspired by Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie the Cowgirl, and the Animaniac’s Goodfeathers. But as a safe bet, it turned out better than I expected, and it stands equal in quality to Meet the Robinsons in my eyes.

Laugh out loud! :laughing: Man, that just bites. Did you have fun watching a giant girl ‘car-skate’ and hearing Seth Rogen’s voice again? :wink:

Okay, sorry, sorry! Did you watch it in 3-D? (I’m guessing you didn’t from your earlier post, but I may be wrong) I suppose from your post date you must have catched it on Cheap-*ss Tuesday, heheh. Don’t fret though, they’d probably show the Up trailer for upcoming Coraline (another 3-D animated film) or G-Force (an upcoming Disney live-action in 3-D), so if you’re gonna watch those (or Monsters vs. Alien, though judging from your response, I seriously doubt it :stuck_out_tongue:), you may be luckier! :wink:

Interesting to hear your opinion on the film! :sunglasses:

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

• Well, I thought Miley’s voice acting was a bit meh, but that’s just my opinion.

• Yeah, I suppose I can see now (thanks to you) that each character does change, but I still didn’t feel any connection with them. Maybe if I did, I woud be able to appreciate the changes in them more. I’m not sure if it’s failure on Disney’s part or just different tastes.

• I don’t really pay attention to camera angles either, except in this case when I felt like I wanted to crane my neck to get a better view of what was happening. I shouldn’t have to do that. Of course me doing that wouldn’t have made a difference, I just felt like I wasn’t seeing what I wanted. Had the camera angles done their job, I probably wouldn’t have noticed them. Like the old saying goes “do your job right, and no-one will notice” - or did I just make that phrase up? :slight_smile:

• I need to clarify with my “new Bolt, old Bolt” comment. What I meant by that was there was not much of a difference (physical or otherwise) between the original Bolt (the one Penny picked out when he was a puppy), and the dog that the agent picked out to replace the original Bolt so the TV series could go on. If the audience can’t see (or feel there is) a difference, you wonder what Penny is going on about. Maybe there should have been a mark on the new Bolt and Penny could have said “that’s not Bolt because ______” or the new Bolt could have been out of control, or something to show the difference more, and that they weren’t the same dog.

But I didn’t get the feeling that this movie was a classic, like Disney made in the past. Yeah, it was a passable effort, but I don’t think it will stand the test of time. I’ve only seen it once so my comments can only carry so much weight, but when is Disney going to go back to making classic movies, like when I was a youngin’? And as I said before, I don’t think John Lasseter being the EP on Bolt really helped at all.

Thanks for addressing my comments, thedriveintheatre. =)

SPOILERS EVERYONE! You might want to close your eyes and duck.

It’s not just you. :wink:

Maybe it’s a bit both. I agree Disney could have added more interesting backstories to Bolt and Rhino, but I thought Mittens was pretty convincing. I thought it was a nice touch to have the big revelation told through her accidental giveaway in a moment of anger, instead of having that ‘hazy’ flashback sequence (like in Toy Story 2 or Cars). The latter would have been too cliched for me. But yeah, some people write fandoms and draw fanpics about the last character I would care for in other movies, so I guess different character personality traits appeal to different people. :slight_smile:

Funny, I think I actually heard someone use that quote before. The best animation (or any piece of art) are the most subtle, just beneath the subconscious. It’s the little things that count, the “devil in the details” (a popular animation maxim). The cinematography was not that subtle, I had to agree.

As for the “new Bolt, old Bolt”, I also kinda wondered how Penny ‘knew’ when she was first presented with it by the slimy manager. Guess she lived with Bolt so long that she could just ‘tell’ an imposter apart. Maybe the scene where he backed away whimpering from the fire just before the climax was their way of telling us the difference? Although I kinda felt it was a lame and sorry way to portray the non-original Bolt as a coward.

Malcolm Gladwell would say that snap judgements tend to be the most accurate, though sometimes I’d disagree. But yeah, it probably won’t be remembered as a true classic, again because of the very formulaic plot. We need those old tales of grand adventure on as large a scale as possible, with captivating characters, swashbuckling action, heart-melting romance, and knee-slapping comedy! (I’m serious, I’m not being sarcastic) I did a lengthy rant in “The Curse of the Bringbackness” thread.

I wonder though, how it would turn out if Mr Lasster was not on the set. Maybe a lot more fart jokes would be in there, heh. :wink:

SPOILERIFIC

But even to leave it that late for us to notice the difference between the new and old Bolt, I don’t agree with that. They didn’t need to knock us over the head with showing us that the new Bolt was different, but something for the audience to identify with would have been nice. It’s probably because I didn’t feel for Bolt in the first place that I wondered why Penny didn’t just go with the new Bolt. Maybe it’s because I’m not a big fan of either John Travolta or dogs (I’m more of a cat person), but then again I didn’t feel close to Mittens either.

The most obvious example I can think of when a different, wide, distant camera angle would have been a better choice is when it’s the first person view of Rhino when he is in the ball, towards the end of the movie, when they are on the movie lot and he tries to go up to one of the actors in costume, it’s left as a first person angle all that time, and that annoyed me.

Fart jokes? Even if Lasseter wasn’t on set, that would be more Dreamworks’ style (check out the opening seconds of the Monsters vs. Aliens trailer and you’ll see what I mean). I would have liked Lasseter to have intervened and had less of that slimey manager schtick. It seems to me as only adults would get that, and that character doesn’t really translate too well overseas, away from Hollywood. I suppose Lasseter doesn’t have as much control over other Disney movies as I thought he did, or he doesn’t have as much skill in creating a classic movie. (Sorry JL, I still love ya!)

I think I will have to give this a second viewing, though.

Yes, we did see it on tight-ass Tuesday. I still can’t believe they don’t have that in Singapore, or even the US. Maybe it would make people go to the cinema more - it sure is busy whenever I’ve been on a Tuesday. No, I didn’t see it in 3D. And seeing how I’ve judged the film as “ok”, I’m glad I didn’t make the trek down to the one that does have that capability. The other cinemas really need to get with the program…

I agree, I would love for Disney to try to make more classic films, rather than focusing on the now. I don’t want princess films, but like you said, grandiose stories set in a different world would be good - rather than Milo and Otis 2, I mean Bolt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, all the four major cinema chains (Cathay, Eng Wah and Shaw) on this island have student concessions at 6 Singapore Dollars on weekdays before 6 pm (with the exception of Golden Village, which charges at $6.50), and that is way better than Sydney rates (which are around $9 in the city). Singaporeans are pretty avid movie-goers, their movie promotional material is quite prominent, with huge posters running down shopping mall walls, bus stops, double-decker buses, train station columns, TV screens in trains and buses, entertainment magazines, etc. Every movie premiere is an “event” in this small country-state. Sydney film promotion is limited to just bus sides and stops, so I wished they had more promotional avenues (partly cos’ I love admiring film promos, and also because Pixar and other studios could always do with more publicity). But I digress, that’s a little off-topic…

Well, I hope more cinemas take up this 3-D feature, cos’ plenty films (Caroline, MonstersVsAliens, Ice Age 3) will be shown in that format. I agree that format shouldn’t be integral to a film’s quality, but it does add a bit to the overall ‘experience’. Anyway, are you going to see Up in Digital 3-D, or will conventional film do?

Laugh out loud! :smiley: I heard of M&O. Should find a copy and watch it, looks adorable!

Heh. I guess I’m the only one around here who didn’t find Bolt extremely appealing… or enticing. I did give it a second go-round, but I still wasn’t too crazy about it. Despite the beginning of the film (that whole action sequence) being off the heat, and the insertion of the occasional touching moment and hilarious bit, I just can’t seem to like it that much.

Now that’s an interesting point…

– Mitch

So, I was watchin the golden globe the other night, and I notice Bolt’s I thought I lost you song was nominated for best motion picture song, along with Gran Torino, the Wrestler, and Down to Earth (WALL-E). The Wrestler won, (never heard of it), but it’s still cool to know that 2 disney movies, one of them pixar, were nominated. OH! and WALL-E won for best animated movie. Practically a shoo-in.

I’d like to see more art from the original version of “Bolt”. I’m the kind of person who likes to see the whole process of movies and such. Also maybe it’d improve my opinion of “Bolt”. i certainly didn’t hate the movie - on the contrary, it was pretty cute - but I think it had quite a few pacing issues.

^ Ditto. The original concept art had so much more personality. That was really my main issue with this film (not that I didn’t like it): it lacks visual character. It wasn’t ugly at all, but they could have been a little more creative.

Watched it in 3D yesterday.
I’m not wondered why it is nominated for Golden Globe. In my opinion, it’s the 2nd best animated feature of 2008, after WALL-E (the champion), and the best 3D animated feature from Disney Animation Studios (my former one was Meet The Robinsons).

Though it’s not as good to be compared with Pixar films, it’s very entertaining as well as emotional. I can see that Disney is improving, and I’m happy that they do. :smiley:

There were some advance screenings last weekend in Estonia but I wasn’t able to go. Anyway the Estonian premiere is tomorrow and I have a ticket for friday. In 3D! Can’t wait!

So to those who have seen the movie and have a formed opinion on it.

Would you say it’s worth the price of admission? What with it still not having been released in UK i’m questioning whether to go and see or not. Not to mention wondering who would be kind enough to tag along with me.

I suppose my main question would be as to whether the movie is more story driven or humour driven? If the sense of humour is something that shines more than the story then I may well wait until it comes on TV before i give it a proper watch. I’ve got nothing against funny films, but when in the cinema I like to have a story to focus on. Just in case the jokes aren’t to my taste. At least then I can form some constructive criticism of it.

So, yes. I basically wondered whether it’s worth the price of admission, and if the story is up to scratch. If someone would be so kind.

Thank you!

Yes, i would say it is worth admission price.
As for humor balance, Disney did a good job. It is definitely story focused, but there is enough humor to not let it become super serious.
Yeah, you should go!

Id have to say im glad with the decision Disney made with going with Bolt over American Dog. I mean, look how perfect the movie turned out! :smiley:

Never doubt the masters behind Disney, or any top animation company for that matter.

yeah, they definitely know what they’re doin.

Just saw it for the first time on DVD. Very good. Story was pretty conventional, but everything else about it was just right. I initially though Travolta and Miley Cyrus would be a constant distraction throughout the movie, but there were both excellent in their roles and I didn’t give it more then a seconds thought after it started. I’m looking that much more forward to Princess and the Frog

I was just waiting for a Star Wars reference at that point :frowning: “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.” It would have worked, man!

Dude, I never even thought of that. Ha! That’s great. You could dub over it via a fan video, I suppose. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

Did anyone else notice the pixar reference? “This is how you blew it with Nemo!”

I second Mitch, I loved that L.A. quote too! The script has to be the ‘zingiest’ (Seriously, when the characters deliver their one of many punchlines, you can hear this ‘ZING’ sound whooshing past your head! Laugh out loud! :smiley:) for an animated film this year! Yes, even better than Panda. Very witty and brilliant.

Oh, and woody’s comment on “Nemo”. When I first heard it, I was like WTH? That was kinda random. I couldn’t believe it. That was a pretty oblique reference for me (I mean, what’s the connection? Did anyone who worked on Nemo worked on Bolt too? Maybe Lasseter, but he’s always the ‘producer’ kinda guy).