Books

I have read the Kingdom Keepers series along with the Starcatchers series countless times, they’re both by Ridley Pearson. I suggest them to any Disney-loving fan :3

Whoops, didn’t know that was directed at me. Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

I feel like I’m learning a new language with all these stories taking place in England. Snogging, row, bloody hell, bob’s your uncle, blimey. :laughing:

I got a book called Among the hidden but I haven’t even started it yet.

I’m currently reading Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched The World (Amazon). I like feel-good books like these, and I particuarly like biographies. It’s fascinating to see how a cat can be so inspiring. Not really a cat person before, but I think Dewey did it for me.

woody: I’ve got to look out for Kingdom Keepers! I’ve been curious what it’s about. Now that you mention that you recommend it to Disney lovers, I’ve got a feeling I’ll really enjoy it. :smiley:

annarborjack: I’ve read Among the Hidden a long time ago, and it’s a really great read. It’s quite intense, that’s what I remember. :wink: And it’s got quite few sequels, but I’ve only read one of the sequels, because I get so confused about the order they’re in. The series is called Shadow Children’s Series, I believe. :wink:

A friend recommended to me a series called The Sisters Grimm. I think I’ll look out for this one also because I’m a fan of fairy tale twists.

Did I mention I’d love to read more of The Adventures of Wishbone? I may have said it before, but it’s a series about a beagle named Wishbone who hangs around with his owner a lot. And his owner’s sticky situations always remind him of classic literature such as Moby Dick, Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Prince and the Pauper, Treasure Island, etc. The situations lead Wishbone to daydream about being the main character of said classic novels. It’s very interesting and fun to read, and I’ve gotten to know Classic literature through this series! :smiley:

you should totally check them out bright dot-dasher! I’m sure you would like them…they’re about what happens after dark at Walt Disney World! I don’t want to give anything away but let me just say, certain things come to life…

The GooseBumps books, and anything else by R.L. Stine are pretty good. He has a fairly new series out called GooseBumps HorrorLand which I’m reading right now.

Thrillers, adventures, motivational, and books about old men, such as Tuesdays with Morrie.

Ah, like Night at the Museum in a way? It sounds very very cool! I must look for those books! :smiley: Thanks for sharing!

how about The Secret Garden? it’s a great book too.

Oh yeah, I forgot about The Secret Garden! Read it a long long time ago. Yes, it’s a great one, too. :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading the previous posts and it seems Artemis Fowl is popular among us folks.

D’Arvit! (Ha ha, nice reference :stuck_out_tongue:) I forgot to get Time Paradox - totally forgot about that one. I’ve read all the other books, except the Lost Colony, but I listened that on audiobook (Audible link for that book). It was a great treat to hear it on audiobook and Nathaniel Parker is a great voice actor and is really suited for the voices of Artemis & Butler.

Note to self: Go to Borders and buy Time Paradox.

Phileas: okay. :smiley:

After wasting hours on Doctor Who and Harry Potter I got used to it :stuck_out_tongue:

lizardgirl - aaa~ another fan! xD I think I might be a bit obsessed with Carrol’s stories though. I’ve memorized the “Walrus and the Carpenter” by heart xD

When I’m not desiring to read a full solid book - despite its story quality - I would wish that I could get a copy of Give Yourself Goosebumps. That’s a ‘choose your adventure’ book for the Goosebumps series. It’s always fun to just sit down and read one. The routes to take and their respective endings, though not scary or creepy at times, are quite fun and interesting. The best part about this kind of book is that you don’t have to any kind of complicated stuff like roll a dice, draw stuff or anything to play the game - you just have to read. Easy for the lazy. Like me. :slight_smile:

It’s just too bad that they don’t sell them anymore in my country, and I don’t think the series is still going on overseas, either, right? It’s a real shame. I remember that, as a kid, I got so hooked up by this book series that I had to resolve to stealing to get one copy. :laughing: Couldn’t remember much about that, but I don’t think I was caught, yet, somehow, I was unable to attain the book. Nevertheless, I think that was the last time I ever got my hands on a book like that… till that time in the library, many years later (just a few months ago, in fact), when I got hold of Volume 1… in Chinese. <_<" Got bored reading after a few pages.

Another similar book series I remember reading (for like, a few minutes of my entire life) was called Choose Your Own Nightmare. Obviously, it had the same kind of intriguing fun that got me reading more. Somehow, I never got in touch with that series again. It’s a very old series, seemingly, so it’s no surprise.

There was another game book series that I had thought have the same ‘choose your path’ format, but it only consisted of a ‘roll dice D&Ds’ game. It was much more elaborate, but it was totally boring to me. I don’t even have a dice, pencil or paper (all of the required materials to play the game) when I browse the bookstore, so, naturally, I never got interest. Also, the stories are dull medieval tales, always about some castles or mummies or knights. I guess that’s why I like the abovementioned series a little more, 'coz their stories have mostly urban settings (I would guess that Give Yourself Goosebumps only have a few unique non-urban settings or so), thus allowing me to relate to. Also, the characters are kids, so, more the fun. It’s fun seeing a kid adventuring around in a story where his very life, lying in your hands, is threatened by demons, foul beasts and spirits. :laughing:

Again, I wish that the bookstores would have these classic ‘choose your path’ stories more. Not only would they attract the attention of the adults who had probably once played these games as kids, but they are still a lot of fun to play with, and they are a significant part of the literature history, even if, when compared to movie genres, ‘choose your path’ books are like comedies, ranked among the lowest when compared to the other books. Guess they are nothing but a forgotten non-history now.

~ Flare

Dragon of Omnipotency- Oh my goodness, I remember Give Yourself Goosebumps! My friends and I were really into those years ago! I think I got rid of all my old Goosebumps books…Shame, I really should’ve kept a few.

Some of my favourite books:

The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien). I read it as a child and was amazed by it. Very funny, inspired me to write.

The Time Machine (HG Wells). Perfect.

Relato de un Náufrago (Gabriel García Márquez). It’s so well narrated…

Geralt z Rivii (Andrzej Sapkowski) Seven Books. The ultimate fantasy adventure. A must read.

Dzienniki gwiazdowe (Stanislaw Lem) Hilarious colection of science-fiction short-stories.

Odýsseia (Hómēros) Amazing. Epic. Stunning and full of spectacle.

Treasure Island (RL Stevenson) I’ve read it about … many times :laughing: Maybe my favourite book.

I just started reading the first novel based off the WarCraft games Day of the Dragon. It’s very interesting so far but confusing. It’s good though. The main reason I think it’s confusing is because I’ve never played the game. :laughing:

I’m reading Watchmen and so far I think it’s pretty good. I hope I can finish it before I have to bring it back to the library :confused:.

Watchmen is an absolutely badass comic.