Brave score by Patrick Doyle

I’ve only heard bits and pieces of it. I liked it, but it isn’t the same level of some of Giacchino’s works.

Mumford & Sons is on the Brave soundtrack. Mumford & Sons is on the Brave soundtrack. Mumford & Sons is on the Brave soundtrack!

HOW did I not realize this before? I knew I wasn’t following Brave as closely as I did past Pixar movies but how did I NOT see that my favorite band in the world is on the Brave soundtrack? flailsabitinglee That thing is so bought right now it isn’t even funny.

I’m about to get the score. I suppose I’ll listen to it tomorrow, unless they hurry up.

1Had mine since the 19th. Wonder why Pixar started CDs again…

I have yet to buy any of the songs, but I definitely will! I really liked the soundtrack. I like Patrick Doyle, not as much as Giacchino, but he is still a good composer. And the music of Brave was one of my favorite parts of it.

I really loved this score, though I’ve never been a great fan of Patrick Doyle’s style.

I like some of his scores, none too much, but I think they’re decent. this one is my favourite by him and I did love it since the first listening.

I suppose the Celtic style (which I really dig) disguised the most tiring aspects of Doyle’s music. It’s even hard to identify him during most of the track, except in segments of a few (particularly in Merida Rides Away)

I even liked the songs, specially the ones sung by the cast, which are lyrical versions of recurring instrumental leitmotivs.

In all, a very enjoyable album. Like some members have said, Giacchinos’ are still more attractive, but, at least for the moment, I dig it a lot more than those of Thomas Newman and some of Randy’s.

I like how Doyle is Scottish as well. You don’t have to have a Scottish person doing the music for a film set in Scotland or a Frenchmen doing the score for a French themed film. Whoever is more talented should do it obviously. But there is that sense of pride in ones homeland and that connection, and it’s just a fun tidbit.

Um… can I just say I loved the soundtrack?! I had no idea what Patrick Doyle’s score would sound like, but that beautiful score, in league with the great songs and the great movie, is absolutely incredible! How is it that Pixar keeps finding amazing composers?! I’ve gotta buy me some more Pixar soundtracks! :smiley:

I approve this message.

There are some really nice songs in this score, but alot of filler ones as well. Its not as well rounded as some of my favorite composers like John Powell, Micheal Giacchino, or Hans Zimmer. But its still a nice score, I need to order it soon.

This is a score completely worthy of the Pixar canon, in my opinion. I was very pleased with it. :smiley: Will there not be a hard copy release? :frowning:

Yes, this one was released as a CD :smiley:

@Leirin: amazon.com/Brave-Various-Art … ords=brave

The soundtrack was good enough. It suited the story well enough. It didn’t really grab me and hold my attention like Up’s score or anything, but it was suitable. The only thing I’ll say is the song about the Open Air or something to that effect, my dad hated. He said it sounded like hippie music.

Its definitely folky. Its by a Scottish folk singer who normally sings in Gaelic! It kind of amuses me that your dad immediately jumps to “hippi,” Virginia. By the way, currently listening to “Learn Me Right” and reveling in the Mumford & Sons banjo and the little we hear of their voices. Seriously, they should have had their own song on the soundtrack. But hey, I’m sure this will help their careers a ton!

I loved the songs! They make me feel like I’m running through the wide open spaces of Scotland on a Spring day… I think that’s one thing that I loved about Brave was a feeling of ecstasy and freedom and pure joy that made me smile ear-to-ear during the film. :smiley:

I loved it! The score goes well. No gaps in my soundtrack collection now.

I think the score suited the film very nicely.

Just came from seeing Brave. I thought Patrick Doyle’s score was fine, but not anything outstanding. To be fair though, given the style that the score had to be in, I think he did as well as could be realized considering the confined style and period the score had to match.

On a different note, this was the first score for a Pixar movie that was not recorded in the US, but was recorded overseas (London, in this case). I hope this isn’t the beginning of a trend (ie, Disney/Pixar doing it to save money scoring outside the US – especially as everything else Pixar is done here in the US). Though Patrick Doyle is from the UK, he HAS scored movies in the US before (I’ve worked with him, playing in the orchestra on a film he scored here a while back), so it was kind of sad to see the movie scored outside of the US. At least La Luna was scored here (with Michael Giacchino; we actually recorded that one at the end of the Cars 2 scoring a year ago).

At least it seems Disney has gone back to issuing hard copy CDs…

I personally enjoyed the score immensely. I thought that it was all-around amazing - both functionally in the film and stand-alone musically as well. :slight_smile: