Brave - was Pixar right in changing the title?

I think I remember a poster from Scotland saying that they felt Brave better represented Scottish heritage. I don’t remember exactly how, but it was a well written post.

Nah, if the first one was originally called Route 66, then they’re gonna call the sequel “World Grand Prix” or something. “Route 66 2” doesn’t even make sense. A sequel/prequel doesn’t have to be named exactly like the original one, does it? At least Monsters University doesn’t :wink:

I personally perfer the title Route 66. But finding a sequel name for that, especially one about an international race, is tricky.

Cars isn’t the greatest name for a movie :smiley: But Cars 2 flows a lot better than Route 66 2 would have. I actually like the idea for the first Cars to be Route 66, but the whole sequel problems makes me happy it’s Cars :smiley:

Princess Merida looks cool, by the way…

That she does!

I wanted to use her for my signature, but it’d spoil the movie for anyone else who hasn’t seen it…and I’ve started a trend! Yippee! Or revived a trend…I don’t know…

That’s extremely courteous of you!

Thank you…and poor me. The overquoting is just addictive… 8D

I guess I’m not too fond of the title. Brave is so generic and doesn’t mean anything. I don’t really like The Bear and the Bow either because it sounds kind of babyish.

Knowing more about the film, I think Brave is the better title. It’s a lot catchier and I think it sums up the film a bit better.

Well in my opinion, I thought changing the name to Brave was a good idea, for starters, the word brave is a very powerful and meaningful word, full of courage and honor. Perfect for the main character Merida, who is sure to go on dangerous adventures, which will take bravery to complete.

I like the title choice for Brave.

I think that the people at pixar know it better than anyone else…
I like them both. But I think Brave is better because it’s more catchy, because it’s one word…

What I don’t like is that they changed it in the german version to Merida. Just so they can pronounce it, that is what I call ridiculous
they had to re design everything…

I think the title “Brave” is a better title since it sums up the film alot better then “The Bear and the Bow.”

EXACTLY.

Brave sounds epic the other not so much. Plus little girls can leave the theater/cinema saying to themselves I’m brave too. :slight_smile:

I think Bear and the Bow was the better title. It says alot more about the characters, the mother-daughter relationship and feels enigmatic in a way.

At first, before seeing the movie, my answer was yes. Brave sounded like a great title to me, as Merida is not your typical fairy tale princess anyway, and more into adventure. I liked both titles, but Brave sounded like it was gonna be pretty epic, and got me excited.

Now, after I’ve seen it: I don’t think so. I think The Bear and the Bow would have fit it better. The reason is cuz Brave gives you a feeling of it’s gonna have this quest fraught with danger, lots of adventure. When I feel Merida didn’t spend enough time outside on her quest to fix things. I thought there should have been more of the adventure out in the wild, so that Merida’s explorations in the past would come in handy. So the title was misleading and I was a little disappointed in that.
I’m not saying she wasn’t brave at all. It takes guts to declare that you’ll be shooting for your own hand, to explore ruins and face a murderous demonic bear, and say a speech in front of people you just offended not long ago. And I do like the movie. But it doesn’t seem especially brave. I think she should have went through more.
As the movie is more about the relationship between Merida and her mother than Merida going out to face the unknown, The Bear and the Bow would have fit perfectly, in my opinion.

I agree with the previous sentiments.

Before the film, I didn’t understand why everyone was getting worked up. I still don’t. You haven’t seen the film, don’t’ judge. The filmmakers know better.

After seeing the film, I still think the filmmakers know best. They had their reasons. But I personally think Bear and the Bow would of been a better representation of the film.

It is interesting. Most Pixar films have a literal title. Cars, Toy Story, Ratatouille.Bear in the Bow would fall in that category. This one’s title is more of a value, an idea. Something intangible. So it’s an interesting change from what Pixar is known for in titles.