Central Monsters University Discussion

That line about knowing each other since the fourth grade used to bug me a lot as well, but I’ve just come to think of it as a kind of generic monster term for college. Elementary school is known as the first grade, middle school as the second grade, high school as the third grade, and college as the fourth grade.

It sounds kind of ridiculous, but it solves the continuity problem, so I’m happy. :smiley:

I think I’m happier by thinking about it as a metaphor. As in “You’ve been jealous of my good looks since forever”.

Scanlon himself has pretty much confirmed that.

That works too! :smiley:

Well, this was difficult for me. It’s not even a review, but just a journal entry about coming to terms with the decision I made in judging the movie.

skywalker0007.deviantart.com/jou … -382692153

I thought the last sentence was very clever!

I just got back from Monsters University (finally saw it! I wanted to see it opening weekend but my dad said "I’d rather see World War Z!, that’s a good movie too), and MY GOD WAS THE MOVIE AMAZING. Best movie of the year so far. You’d think I’d enjoy something like Man of Steel, Star Trek Into Darkness, or Iron Man 3 more. Well, all those movies were great, but they had flaws. Iron Man 3 the weird villain, Star Trek Into Darkness the slow middle, Man of Steel had some bad dialogue, but Monsters University was FLAWLESS. Brilliant story, brilliant characters you root for, brilliant writing, beautiful animation, Pixar’s best, everything was brilliant. I give this movie I rating I have only given to 4 other movies, a 10/10

I’ve just watched MU yesterday for the first time.

I have to say the movie is ok. [spoil]I love the start of the movie where little mike came in and when he started college. You can strongly relates to the movie- you remember the first day you go to college and when you attended the fun fairs. But its kinda messy halfway when there are lots of competitions going on.

There are twists in the movie, but I dont like the twists- e.g. Mike scoring full marks for the last competition (when I first saw it, I ask myself, “why?”), and Mike and Sulley got kicked out of college (for impressing Hardscrabble). And I don’t like them showing ALL scarers’ actions one by one in the scare rooms in the last Scare Games.

I am also expecting some super strong friendship brotherhood stories from Mike and Sulley, and it seems to be, not super strong (I know they got locked outside monsters’ world and came back by working together, but to me it is not special enough)

I am expecting something TS3 or MI, but it turned out to be not. I find the movie more attractive towards the beginning than it towards the end. I don’t like the way Pixar wrapped up the movie this time. It seemed to be over simple as compared to other pixar movies.[/spoil]

I am surprised that most of you find Cars 2 to be one of Pixar’s weakest movie. I personally like Cars 2 more than Cars and MU.

But still, being a super pixar fan, I’m watching it again this evening. I think it will turn out better. I didnt get good images yesterday since I sat on a side seat in the cinema, and the colours seemed to be darker than it should be.

Sorry for the strong comments if they are.

Those sound like valid thoughts, Chuckles. The movie was oddly different than the first one to me though I did like it the first time around. Certainly enjoyed it loads more on my re-watch, though maybe that’s because my whole family was there that time.

Personally, I also don’t think Cars 2 is Pixar’s weakest either. My choice for their “weakest” seems to baffle almost everybody, and even that movie I really like, but oh well.

Actually, the first time I saw Monsters University, I had a similar experience. I was only with one friend and the color of the screen didn’t look right, it looked dark or murky or something like when I saw Brave. When I saw it the next day, it looked much clearer and beautiful. Not sure why, either.

You might like Monsters University more on your second viewing. It’s possibly more light-hearted and humorous if you already know how things are going to work out in the film. If not, no problem.

I’ve watched my second time, and it seemed to be much better. I got a much clearer image, and i see things I didn’t see before, e.g. at the first viewing, [spoil]i didn’t see Squishy inviting Sulley for the dance at the ROR’s disco party, but just Sulley accidentally get pulled into the dance floor[/spoil]. I think I didnt hear things properly too on my first viewing. Now I love the movie more for sure.

Hey all. I saw a trailer for Monsters University while at the Trafford Center today. It made me feel stupid for not keeping track of it recently. I feel left out for not watching it yet, but I need to sometime.

I finally saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it! It’s definitely their best film since Toy Story 3.
I’d put it a touch behind Monsters Inc. But really enjoyed it.

Hey guys, well i saw it yesterday, and hate to say it but… it let me down BIG TIME.
It’s not as bad as Cars2, but it’s somewhere at the bottom of Pixar rank.

I didn’t really feel the connection with the characters, I thought the whole University thing was a bit shallow, where Monsters Inc had such a fantastic story, this one obviously had to rely on the jokes and about 95% percent of them I didn’t even laugh.

The things I did like were ART, he’s the only funny new character for me actually, the others were just mehh, and Pixar really finds its strength in the storytelling which finally arrived at the part where Mike & Sulley [spoil]went through the humanworld door[/spoil]
Can’t believe how Monsters Inc was soooo strong, and this one seemed to me like a direct-to-video sequel while I expected something ala Toy Story 3, sad, sad, sad, wasted opportunity,

Monsters University isn’t the BEST Pxar movie, but it isn’t that bad either.

Blu-Ray comes out Tuesday, October 29, 2013. I think it’s highly possible that “Toy Story of Terror” might possibly premiere the same night, and if so, I’ll be psyched!

I thought Monsters University was great loved the first so I knew I would come out of the film happy :slight_smile:

Oh my goodness I just remembered that scene!!! I’m so gonna have to draw that in human form if I can get the DVD (once it’s released) and screenshot it. :laughing:

Sad news, Marcia Wallace, known for the voice of Ms. Krabbapple, passed away, and apparently I didn’t realize she was the M.U. librarian until I saw Scanlon’s tweet.

“So sorry to hear about Marcia Wallace. She gave the librarian monster in MU it’s spooky voice. She was a delight to work with.”- Scanlon’s twitter

Yes, RIP to Marcia Wallace.

I also didn’t notice she was the librarian.

I don’t watch South Park, but I think the character you’re referring to is from that series, and I Googled it and she wasn’t voiced by Marcia Wallace.

Maybe you’re confused with Wallace iconic role of Mrs. Krabappel in The Simpsons.

This movie was a riot. The more I see it, the more I like it.

this is the best animation film of 2013 followed by The Croods IMO,i really like how MU expands the Monster World in big way