Cowboys & Aliens.....you are joking, right?

Thank-you for your suggestions! Actually, my family have no clue what to buy me for Christmas, so perhaps I can ask for this.

That’s genuinely interesting. I guess over time even the interpretations of novels themcelves can change, since how we interpret fiction can be shaped by what is happened in reality, though some things stick. And movies try to bring stories which may not be as relevant in modern times. Authors themselves would generally write and be influenced by things in their own time and their own views on matters of course. Sometimes, so are readers and people who ‘re-imagine’ these stories in different forms.

So yeah, back to the movie. Are there any indications in the comics of an important child character on the cowboys side at all? (Since Noah Ringer was possibly hired- of course it might just be a very minor role).

Noah Ringer has been hired to play a character named Emmett so I’d guess that would make him a major child character on the cowboys side as I don’t think Apaches raised many white boys named Emmett. I could be wrong though. There could’ve been a thriving society of Emmettonian warriors hidden in them thar hills.Proving their existence would be right up there with finding those lost cities in Mesa Verde.

I kid, I kid.

Interestingly enough Apaches do make an appearances in the film as listed by IMDb. But from the looks of it they don’t seem to play any major role.

That’s much different from the comic when it was the natives who noticed something was wrong at first and eventually teamed up with the homesteaders with the realization that they were all part of the same whole. I’m really making it sound better than it is though. It’s played as cliche as possible with no new spin on the execution other than the fact that it was set in the Old West and with aliens.

If you’re open to it I’ll see if i can snag my copy and scan it in to send it to you via one of the big upload sites of your choice

I agree with this statement!

Looks pretty good, I suppose.

[spoil]That’s nice of you, but I’m not really familar with scanning sites.[/spoil]

In any case, I guess I’ll be checking this out.

Emmett is a Texan cowboy-kid who knows MAGIC KUNG-FU. They’ll work it in. Somehow.

(In any case, I haven’t seen the Last Airbender myself, though I hear… Noah was decent in it, I mean he was a serious version of Aang but he wasn’t too bad and it made sense given the tone of the film. And apart from a few scatterings of people who think Zuko and Iroh were okay too… that’s pretty much all that was good about it- In retrospect I’ll be glad that this kid gets a chance to really shine than be always perhaps associated with that movie. Apparently Katara and Sokka were dreadful. Apparently Zhao was horrifying in a bad way- I mean yeah the guy is supossed to be overly full of himself but apperntly he really entered into narm territory or something- or so my sources tell me. Though like I said I haven’t seen it for myself so…).

Feh. Noah is apparently decent child actor, though I’ve yet to see for myself.

When watching the trailer for the first time, I honestly thought it was James Bond getting sent to the past by his weird enemies.

It actually looks pretty good.

And the cast is awesome.

I’ll just say I’m glad they got the trailer out more than 8 months before its release. Plenty of time for people to become accustomed to the initially silly-sounding title.

For the record, I’m looking forward to this movie. I mentioned it in the Movies thread, but I’ll say it again:

• I love mash-ups/genre crossovers.
  • Daniel Craig is my favourite Bond next to Dalton. He’ll kick as much *ss here too.
  • Harrison Ford is one of my favourite actors, especially in the Indy saga and Air Force One.
  • The female protagonist (I can’t remember the actress name) is from House M.D, one of my favourite shows.
  • It’s an action movie, one of my favourite genres.
  • It’s a sci-fi, another favourite genre of mine.
  • It’s a Western, which I’m ambivalent but don’t hate outright.
  • It’s Aliens vs Cowboys!!! How cool is that? :smiley:

Olivia Wilde, a true beauty.

Super cool!

I like westerns and sci fi, so I’m happy to see them combined!

What i dont like about this movei is that at some point the cowboys will shoot down ufos with their revolvers, and thats just stupid, we wouldnt stand a chance if alien tried to invade us right now why would cowboys survive then?

I actually read somewhere that the director said that she was going to do a nude scene in this film, it turns out it was fake and they were just triying to drag people to the theathers who just wanted to see that scene , do you think theyll have to do that if the film was good?

Actually, the Daniel Craig character has an alien weapon (maybe he’s an alien himself?), so they wouldn’t

Besides, the nude scene trick has proven to be totally unuseful in the past (it doesn’t attract a important mass opf audiences, and instead repeles some people), so I really doubt that rumor has been originated by the director.

I think you’re being pretty harsh with a movie that hasn’t been released. It can suck or be really good. Let’s give it a chance to speak by itself.

Yes the guy has an alien device, but hes not fighting alone, and guess what weapons are using his friends…

and YES the director started the rumor by himself
scifimafia.com/2010/08/cowboys-a … -warriors/

Ok, I read the link.

And seriously, that’s what always happens. Remember those reports about a nude scene on Harry Potter 7? They film it that way, but you don’t see it like that on the final cut. So it wasn’t a rumor. It was just a PG13 nude scene.

Besides, the ones who reported that were the stars, not the director, and they don’t know how the material will be edited.

Anyway, I’m not defending this movie, because I haven’t seen it. But for that same reason we can’t trash it.

Nobody knows whether the cowboys win in the end, and if they do, how will they succeed (For all you know, they may have Chuck Norris do a surprise cameo).

You are entitled to your opinion (Wow TDIT, you have stated the bleeding obvious :stuck_out_tongue:), but perhaps you shouldn’t assume a storyline will be prepostorous until you have seen the actual movie?

By the way, I think this movie is based on a comic book. Gotta see if my library has it in stock.