Custom Troika Replica Images 9/14/11

Oh, and one more thing I noticed (Sorry, I know you just sent them fixes :blush: ) - the fish’s lips, like the duck’s bill, are a bit too pink and need to be more redorange-ish.

That also might be the picture…i’ve talked about this with others…we think the picture might be off, and real life might look better…once again, thats also being looked into

Just wanted to thanks those of you that provided input!

OMG they look amazing :open_mouth:

Those look amazing!! But i think the dogs eyes are spouse to be a little bit closer to each other.

Yeah I know, that is one of the things they are correcting…stayed tuned, hopefully prototype 2 will be ready soon

Wonderful! These are looking very classy :slight_smile:

As I say, count me in pending further updated pics. I imagine with the lacquer these’ll look fantastic. They already look the most screen accurate to date.

However, as a likely customer with a desire for screen accuracy it would be remiss of me not to mention the following points in order to get these looking top-notch. I know it’s your aim to strive for screen-accuracy too so I hope these points benefit the final outcome:

The big splodge on the rear of the dog Troika (and all the splodges on him in fact) should definitely be one solid colour as seen here:

and here:

The border around the duck’s beak on your replica is either too thick (wide) or too black, I can’t quite tell which from looking at the film still. As seen below it is either missing entirely, very fine, or of a closer colour to the main beak:

Also, looking at the above comparison, your replica duck’s beak is off colour and needs to get wider, quicker as it tapers down (only by a fraction). Eyes have been mentioned but just to confirm, your replica’s eyes are too round and a bit wonky in height and distance from the beak (pupils are slightly askew too). Maybe a production issue.

Fish - colour is definitely off. Yours is far too yellow and has a lot more contrast between the main ‘scales’ base colour and the top portion / face area than the screen version:

Scale positioning is a little off too but it’s not even worth mentioning as its such a minor point and must have been hard enough to get as good looking as you’ve already got it.

Weird blue thing and ladybird are looking very nice indeed. Maybe a bit of colour correction on the muzzle area of blue guy (a tad more yellow perhaps?) and watch the path of the whiskers (bit of a nit-picky point there!):

The above points are not to be taken as personal criticism of the work you’ve achieved, simply a list of constructive ideas that would improve these already fabulous items. The main ‘issues’ relate to colour, which is hard to gauge accurately from the photos alone. when these have a bit of a shine on them it could totally alter the colours because of the specular.

Also, just wondering about the rings on the base of your replicas. I know they’re necessary to have these stand upright. When these toys are alive in the film I’m guessing they can balance themselves upright of their own accord. I feel sorry for the ladybird though. When these toys are sentient she must just be alive in the dark centre, claustrophobic and panicking but unable to get out unless all of the other four open their mouths.

I look forward to updates. :slight_smile:

Booh88,

The Dog’s Spot is already being corrected. In the high definition blue ray shots of toy Story 2, when the toys are gathered around Mr. Spell, the dog has a pattern on it’s back spot. This is what they tried to replicate. Actually, they tried making it more “screen accurate” based on the pictures I sent them. However, it does look sloppy and this will be corrected to a solid color

The color of the Duck’s beak will be changed, it is too pinkish and not reddish. This will be corrected. As far as the border and the shape, I’m not sure those specific things can be corrected. The darker color beak will make the border less noticeable for sure…but I believe the shape is a little off due to the shape of the wooden eggs being slightly difference then the shape of the plastic eggs in the movie. I believe it will, in fact, look worse if they try to change it. The eyes will be fixed and made closer together, which I believe is the problem with the way it’s face looks. I believe the eyes are fine, its imply their position

The Fish is also going to made darker orange, that will be the most major change.

The small bases are needed so they can stand. So unfortunately can’t be changed.

I appreciate the constructive criticism as they will help improve the item.

I would like to think after the next prototype, most people will happy enough with them to buy them, if they are interested at all

Look forward to giving an update when I can!

On a side note, your comment on the cat’s whiskers. I know you are nitpicking…but if you notice, in the movies, the troikas expressions actually changed. The dog scowls and the picture of them that you comparing them too, they all have a slightly “scared” look their face…it’s right before Sid’s first appearance and all the toys are scared…so as far as little thing like that, the faces actually move…so don’t assume that simply because they don’t have little nuances from one particular picture, that they can’t be screen accurate…i honestly don’t know what exact screen accurate will look lik…no one really does

Woah…way to blast a lurker out of the shadows. Never felt any need to post before, but have read EVERY post in the TSC and Replica threads…great info in both threads. I’ve checked this forum regularly this past year since Toy Story 3 made acquiring these toys essential in spite of being way too old (kinda). haha T

Only problem with purchasing these Troikas would mean acquiring Wheezy, Lenny and a bunch of characters (mostly rare and expensive) I’d became perfectly content to pass on. The new TSC Bonnie’s Toys are getting my “buy now” trigger finger kinda itchy as it is though so might have to bite the bullet on these and get a set sent over to Scotland :wink: I’m a definitely maybe.

Are they made out of woods?

Yes, they are painted wooden russian nesting eggs…biggest one is 4 inches tall…but hopefully after the plaqcer is added, they’ll look shiny like plastic :slight_smile:

Welcome out from the shadows!

I felt the same way too when I went to Toy Story on Ice…did I want to buy a Lenny? Because I knew if I did I’d want all the minor characters…well I bought it…and it lead to wheezy, mr mike, etc…

it’s been a little expensive…but in the end, i’m loving my collection

Lookin good, I think the inaccuracies have already been addressed. They look great at first glance, but once you get them side by side some of the color differences are what stand out to me. The goldfish especially.

Edit: one small suggestion I have would be the sand down the edges a bit where the two halves come together before painting.

I’m actually surprised but any gripes about them seem to be universal. I’m willing to accept they’ll never be “perfect” though…heck…not one TSC item is “perfect”…but if they fix the goldfish color, duck eyes and beak, and the dog adjustments I mentioned…i’ll be estatic…

I have no problem saying i’m very impressed witht he first prototype and think the 2nd will be that much better

:slight_smile:

As far as your edit…what purpose would that serve? I’m trying to think of where you are going with this…as the company is doing this…not me…not sure if I can tell them to do that anyway…but i’m curious where you are going with it…

I would totally understand if you thought it was too insignificant to bother asking them about, but it looks to me like the edges are a bit too perfectly sharp. See how they are beveled a bit in the screen shots? You can see the seam even when they are closed. In the the real life versions the seams are almost invisible.
Again, totally minor and wouldn’t make or break the thing the slightest.

Hmmmm…I always thought that they looked like that in that one scene due to them “looking scared”
and when they are closed the line was invisible…i suppose that would help a bit…but it seems a little needy since they are redoing the replica thats already painted…I suppose I could ask, but i’m leaning against it…i already feel kinda bad that they are changing an already excellent job…and i think they are only looking for modifications to the paint job…

Edit: looking at all the pics I sent…your absolutely right…it might be worth mentioning…hmmmmmm

if anyone is lurking and not a member…feel free to email me at:

bashford427@yahoo.com

Don’t forget you would also get the added advantage of them being easier to open. It may be a bit difficult to open them if you can’t find the edges with your fingernail. Of course I don’t have any myself to say, so I could be wrong about that. I also think it could help the illusion of looking like plastic. The rounded edges would catch some light making it appear shinier.

Hey Slink, sorry to be a buzzkill, but you already have one thread regarding your custom Troika replica, so we kindly ask that you stick to that. The fact there’s already a Toy Story Replica thread means that you should really be posting your works in there, but we’ve let you already have your own special thread without shutting it down. Please refrain from creating duplicate threads. You may post your images in the first thread, just like how every member is entitled to one fan-graphic thread, one fan-art thread, etc. (The exception I can think of is regarding fanfics, since some of them are long enough to merit their own threads). Thanks for your understanding.

• TDIT