Doc Hudson: An Autobiography

Ballboi: Thanks so much! Improvement is a major key, so I’m thrilled you can see that in my work. :smiley:
CowGirlJessie: Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it! :mrgreen:
little_chef: Gah! After reading your pieces, I am seriously flattered to be getting a comment from you! And especially since I was able to draw you in despite your mimimal fan fcition reading! Thank you sooo much! Yes, that is a great point you made. I consider that before I began, and I have changed a character’s name in previous work (Finn) but I decided to stick with Doc’s name. Not sure why, perhaps because I could never see him with any other name? I just couldn’t get my mind around it, though like I said, very valid point that would have made sense. And thanks for the congrats, I can’t thank the readers who voted for me enough. <3

Nice chapter! :smiley: I like the opening lines and I agree with everyone; the scene where Doc finds out about his father was awesome. :sunglasses:

^^^ Awww. :cry:

^^^ Love. <3

little_chef and I thought the same thing about Doc’s name, I just didn’t say anything because I figured that that was your reason, Becca. :slight_smile:

You pointed out one of my favourites too with the closing there. :mrgreen: Well, it never hurts to ask, but of course you knew. :wink: And I’m happy the thing with Doc’s father all makes sense now. :slight_smile: And I just saw your signature thing, thank you so much!!! You are the best friend a girl could ask for on here! <3 I also happen to LOVE both your sig and avatar pictures. :smiley:

You’re welcome! I couldn’t resist. Awww, thank you, right back at you chica! <3 LOL, thanks. I had to show some Carla and WGP racer love. :sunglasses:

:smiley: Well, I approve of your WGP love-fest! :wink:

I found some time to swing by this morning to bring you guys the next chapter! This one skips ahead ahead into Doc’s teenage life which would take place approximately around the early 50’s. Please read and enjoy! :smiley:

CHAPTER THREE

Time went on and the years passed like minutes. It was no surprise that the world seemed to turn faster when you weren’t clinging to every piece of daily news.

Things continued to happen, and cars around me never ceased changing. Mama slowly faded to a lifeless being in the background. She was always around, but never truly there. She’d lost herself in grief and was as talkative as a stone wall; there wasn’t much that reached her soul anymore.

Cindy carried on with her nervous mannerisms and was typically seen as the socially awkward girl in the back row. In reality, there was nothing awkward about her; she just needed someone gentle and patient. Sadly, I was the only one who knew this, and I didn’t always have time for her like I used to.

Even Johnny wasn’t the same. He’d developed a sore tendency in his axles and often limped going up ramps of any sort. He woke at night sometimes, shouting with fear and cursing foully. He wouldn’t go back to sleep afterwards, but we all acted like we didn’t notice. No one wanted to admit that war had left an imposing imprint on our lives; we wanted to be as happy as everyone else.

Pretty soon, I turned 18. I’d be going to senior prom before I knew it. My friends kept telling me to ask Bonnie Wilson to be my date. As if I hadn’t thought of that.

Back in my childhood, I was certain I’d take her. Then I grew up and realized things weren’t so simple.

Bonnie had bloomed into a gorgeous young female. She wore clean white-walls and was always trying new paint jobs. She started using thick black make-up to line her eyes. I didn’t have a clue how she applied it, but it only amplified the beauty of her brown eyes. She dated a few guys, all of whom were better looking than me. Surely, one of them was going to ask her.

But even after all this time, there was one thing I couldn’t deny; Bonnie still remembered me. The odd moments when we did interact felt just like the old days. We still had friendship, and that meant I still had a place in her heart. From my point of view, that gave me just as much of an advantage as those other guys.

It was on the way out of school one day that I asked her out to the movies. She gave me a slightly peculiar look, considering we hadn’t hung out together since grade school. We still spoke at school, but outside of that we had drifted apart. She was so cool with her television style and her rock n’ roll records, while I was still just plain, original me. Which I guess meant we hadn’t changed so much after all.

I must have done something right though, because she ended up saying yes. I couldn’t help feeling a bit tingly inside, kind of like I used to get when we were little kids.

The days dragged by until Friday rolled around. Mr. Wilson had me promise to bring Bonnie home by 11pm and then we were off. My heart was pounding out of my frame as we drove into the town’s new theatre. It occurred to me that Bonnie had done herself up a touch for the night, not enough to be glaringly noticeable but it caught my attention.

I let her pick the movie; she chose a romantic comedy. We found a nice place to park and I listened intently as she talked about her new baby sister and the latest episode of “I Love Lucy”. She asked me about my home life now and then, but I avoided the topic or spoke vaguely of it. There wasn’t much worth sharing.

Soon the movie started and I suddenly remembered my purpose. It was all due fun to be spending time with Bonnie again, however, I couldn’t leave without getting out the real question. I never thought prom was such a big deal, but I knew girls felt differently.

I didn’t focus much on the movie. I spent my time mulling over words and reworking their phrasing. It wasn’t the easiest task when I was being distracted by the sweet scent wafting from Bonnie’s side.

The credits came faster than I would have liked. She turned to me, ready to get back before curfew.

“Are you ready to go, Doc?” she said politely.

“Uh, yeah, I’ll drive you home,” I replied nervously.

She smiled. “Thank you.” She began to pull away.

“B-Bonnie!” Wait…,” I called after her.

She stopped and waited for me to approach. Her face looked amused and curious while she held out for an explanation.

“Bonnie,” I said, “Are you going to prom?”

Her brown eyes tossed back as she giggled, “‘Course I am!”

My sight bounced around shyly and I added, “I meant… with someone.”

The humorous expression dropped and she was suddenly as bashful as I was. She bit her lip and spoke quietly, “N-no. Well, I- I thought perhaps-.”

“Would you go with me?” I interrupted boldly.

The edge of her windshield angled upwards and she blinked a few times. A small smile curled at her lips. “Yes.”

Prom night was something to remember. It was on a crystal clear evening at the dance hall on the edge of town. Cars clustered outside, waiting for the different members of their party.

I arrived early and parked near the doors. That way I couldn’t miss Bonnie going in without me. I was going to have a whole evening with her; I wouldn’t waste a minute of it.

She pulled up just on time and I devoured a long, mesmerized stare at her before she could spot me in the crowd. She’d changed to a bold and dazzling red paint, with small ruby gemstones around the arch of her wheel well. I gazed in awe for a moment more before driving out from the shadows and back into the moonlight.

“Doc!” she smiled brightly and fixed herself naturally against my side.

I could barely breathe I was so conscious of her touch.

“Oh, listen,” she sighed happily, “They’re playing the first slow song! Let’s go cruise!”

And cruise we did. Bonnie was such a pro at it that I didn’t have to worry much on my part. She whisked me away into the romantic music of songs like “Only You”. I never wanted to leave her side.

They had just finished playing the steady love lyrics of “Unchained Melody” when Bonnie asked me to take her outside for some fresh air.

I led her to the rear entrance on the wall and we looked out at the quiet sky together.

“Are you having fun tonight, Doc?” she said graciously.

My headlights grew hot as I answered, “Yes, what about you?”

She drew in a content breath. “I’ll never forget such a lovely night.”

“Me neither,” I confessed.

Her brow quirked and she gave me that amused smile again. “You know Doc,” she started, "You’re really loosened up tonight.”

“Well, I don’t know about that,” I mumbled diffidently.

“You should more often,” she suggested lightly, “You never know what might happen.”

I made a confused expression and turned to look at her. Suddenly her lips were upon mine. She kissed me in a gentle and caressing way. I felt her warm breath on my mouth as my mind was swept away by the feelings coursing through my body.

I had just gained enough alertness to begin kissing her back, but she drew away. Just like that, it was all over. What had felt like an eternity now seemed far too short, more like several seconds. Which it probably was only that long to be honest.

“Will we see each other after tonight?” she whispered ardently.

I stared at her dazedly, my cab was buzzing. How had I been living all this time without knowing the taste of her breath? Somehow I had managed, but I wouldn’t anymore.

“Of course we will! What are you talking about Bonnie?” I asked her softly.

“Well, you know,” she said quietly,” so many cars grow apart after high school. I can’t imagine not seeing you around…”

I held her gaze confidently and told her, “That’s true, but I have to think… isn’t there a reason we’ve kept in touch this long already?”

She blinked, not fully grasping my point. “What do you mean?”

“We’ve known each other for years Bonnie,” I elaborated, “I’m not going anywhere.”

She smiled timidly. “Oh, I don’t know Doc-.”

I butted in, “Would you like to go to the theatre with me next week?”

Her eyes studied me for a second. “Well, sure, I’d-.”

“So, you will be seeing me after tonight!” I enthused with a smirk.

Bonnie returned my expression with a more affectionate impression. “I guess you’re right. Now, let’s go have that last cruise, shall we?”

So, the timing and dates probably don't line up 100% correctly with the songs and TV show mentioned but they are all from the 50's era so I wanted to use them anyways.  :laughing: If anyone wants to hear the songs they are by The Platters (Only You) and The Righteous Brothers (Unchained Melody). I do not take credit for anything copyrighted in this story! Well, this was a shorter chapter but I'm expecting the next one to be a bit more interesting. Thanks very much for reading and I love to hear your comments!  :slight_smile:

Great job! You really describe everything so good. I really enjoyed the moments at the prom and the movies.

Thank you! I was hoping the movie scene in particular wouldn’t come off as boring, so thanks for you feedback on that! :slight_smile:

Aww! I thought this chapter was so cute. <3

I like how you described each member of Doc’s family and how they’ve changed over the years.

I love how Bonnie and Doc still had a connection this whole time and I think they’re just adorable together. <3

Nice chapter! I’m excited to see where the story goes from here. :slight_smile:

Thanks! Just to let everyone know, I’ve been much more busy due to my new courses so I’m not finding as much writing time in the evenings. However, I’m working hard to try and get the next chapter of this one finished for this weekend! Sorry for the wait, just wanted to let you guys know!

That’s okay, whenever it’s up I’ll read it.

Phew! Thanks for waiting, I managed to get it done today! Here’s the next chapter…

CHAPTER FOUR

Bonnie and I began seeing each other on a more regular basis after that blissful teenage night. She picked up a starting job at a small daycare and always kept me up to date with all her latest experiences. It was fascinating to sit at her side, just listening to her bubble with exuberance about the things she encountered.

I remained unemployed myself; my mother never had the energy to haggle me. Besides, I was fairly content with where I was.

But the daily grind did become boring at points, despite being so relaxing. Johnny worked tirelessly at the steel factory, Bonnie had the daycare and even Cindy had found part-time at a diner. I knew I had the whole of my life lying in front of me, and with the restriction of school lifted, it was time to take advantage and make something of it.

It was in unlikely circumstances that I happened to stumble across a new hobby. I was on my way home one day when I came to discover that my usual route was closed due to construction. I had to take a beaten and timeworn back road on the outer part of the residential end of town. It was a dirt path, barely distinct from the empty surrounding land.

Then I spotted a shabby set of wooden grandstands and twisted chain-link fencing. Drawing closer, I could hear ruckus shouts and rumbling engines. Was there actually a functioning racetrack way out here?

It all came into sight shortly. I saw a gang of males- probably ten or so- and all around the same age bracket as me. A group of them tore recklessly around the track while the others hung to the side, smacking on wads of tobacco.

I couldn’t turn my eyes away from the unusual and intriguing scene. They looked like a rough crowd, but the giddy amusement in their expressions said otherwise.

“Hey!” a bulky Buick called out.

I studied him for a second, seeing if it was me he was really addressing. He smirked and drove over to me.

I examined his earthy-toned body and droopy eyes, wondering if I should be letting this intimidating stranger approach me.

“What’s ya name, kid?” he asked before I had any chance to scoot away. His voice carried a hint of a Boston accent to it.

“Doc Hudson,” my name shot out of my mouth without thought.

“Doc, huh? Do they call ya anything else?”

“Nah, not really any nicknames for such a short name,” I explained dully.

“Well, my name’s Rick, but around here they call me ‘Ricky Rocket’,” he said with a quirk of his windshield.

I smiled, “Why do they call you that?”

“What do ya think, kid?” he tossed me a wink. “Ya know, we could really use some fresh metal on the team. And I think ya might just be an eligible recruit. How about a lap around the track? I’ll show ya how I got my name.”

He could see the gears working in my mind as I considered the offer. I glanced over at the track several times, feeling tempted to give it a go. Everyone else had their getaways, I could use one too.

“Just one lap? That’s it?” I clarified slowly.

He nodded in compliance and added, “If ya win then I’ll promote ya to being our newest rookie.”

“Alright, let’s do this.”

I entered the stadium, attracting stares from the other members. Most of them were regular Fords and Oldsmobiles, but that didn’t stop them from sizing me up.

Rick and I situated ourselves at what appeared to be marked out as the start line. I’d had my share of road races, nothing in this fashion though. Didn’t races usually take place on some kind of hard surface?

From the corner of my vision, I watched as one of the guys climbed a steep ramp to the podium. I took a deep breath to ready myself as he raised the green flag.

The cloth came swooshing down and I heard Rick take off. I gathered my bearings and plunged off after him. Dirt collected beneath my tires as they rotated furiously, sending the soil spewing behind me.

All the crew looked on intently whilst I kicked up my speed to match up with the so-called ‘Rocket’. It was proving to be a rather easy race this far, but the crowd snickered when the first turn presented itself.

Rick boldly continued to accelerate, generating clouds of dust. As for me, I slowed to a more manageable and controlled speed. Corners were always difficult, and under these terrain conditions I didn’t know what to expect.

I successfully made the turn with thorough concentration. I carried on and took the next corner in the same style. By this time, I had lost major ground on Rick. If I wanted any chance to win then I’d have to pick up the pace, especially on the turns.

My body was wailing with exertion and the boys were heckling my performance in mocking tones. I set my sight on the upcoming turn and pressed onwards with dangerous speed. I jerked my tires to left without even putting any pressure on my breaks. Suddenly, I felt the earth sliding wildly underneath me, thrusting my body off-course.

The voices in the stands chorused in exclamation, but I blocked them out to a muffle. I had to save myself, and quick. I did the only thing I could think of to counteract my movement; I threw my tires into the reverse direction.

I was no longer wielding aimlessly, I was gravitating back onto the track. I smiled broadly in pure disbelief of my luck. It was still far too late for me to pass Rick, but I finished the race in a solid piece.

I stopped beside Rick, waiting to hear the possibility of praise. He ran his eyes over me in that judgmental way again. Then he smacked my fender with his tire.

“Ya might not have won,” he said boastfully, “but that was pretty impressive. We ain’t seen nobody make that turn in a good while. You’re in.”

It felt rewarding to be accepted into the group. I was finally a part of something. We met nearly every day, except for Sundays. I was introduced to the other guys too, and often competed against them. Most everybody had their own show names and unique tricks. I quickly earned a reputation for my mastery skill in drifting. “Turn right to go left,” I told them when asked how I maneuvered gracefully. They thought I was joking; trying to keep it secret, when really that was all there was to it.

I spent weeks with the group, refining my techniques and spending day in and day out under the summer sun. I grew close with the gang, learning more about their backgrounds and how they came to join the crew. The only thing I didn’t do was chew tobacco; it was a nasty habit in my opinion.

One day, Rick pulled me aside. He led me to the track’s original storage shed and ordered me to follow him inside.

I entered the shed and coughed as dust filled my airway. Rick flicked on the overhead light and my coughing finally settled. A small silver item glistened on a workbench in the middle of the room. I drove further into the room for a better view of it.

“Is that a… piston?” I inquired with confusion.

“Yeah,” Rick replied, “It is.”

I gave him a strange look. “This is what you wanted to show me?”

“Would ya let me explain, hotshot?”

“Oh,” I muttered, “Yeah.”

Rick stared at the piston and told me, “This here piston belonged to my good friend William. He founded our race group years ago, did a lot for us. Anyways, he’s in a better place now, but ever since then we’ve been holding a race in his honour. His piston was the only thing we were allowed to salvage, so that’s what we race for.”

Rick moved to the other side of the room. “We’ve got a plaque with a list of all the winners. I thought ya might be interested in running for it this year.”

I nodded vigorously, “I’d love to.”

Rick beamed at me and grinned. “Good. There’s only one problem. Ya gotta have a race name to enter.”

“How about Hornet?” I suggested, “The guys have been calling me that lately.”

“Hornet…,” he mused, “That might just work. The Hudson Hornet. How’s that sound to ya?”

“The Hudson Hornet,” I repeated slowly. I smiled eagerly, “That’ll work.”

I know, they call him "The [i]Fabulous[/i] Hudson Hornet" but that will come into play later. This just shows the origins of his nickname.  :slight_smile: Random tidbit: the name William was chosen after William France who founded NASCAR. I also ended up making [i]another[/i] new OC, so meet Rick guys!  :laughing: Hopefully this was a good chapter and will keep you interested for more. Please make yourself welcome to leave a comment! Thanks!

Brilliant! I loved this chapter. The way you described the first race was amazing. I liked everything about this chapter, my favorite chapter so far.

Awesome! I’ve never been that great at writing race scenes so it is wonderful to hear that! Thanks! :smiley:

Awesome chapter! :sunglasses: I love reading and trying to piece the story together, like how he got his name (Check!), how he started the move (Check!), that sort of thing. :mrgreen:

I like how you used Rick as a sort of leader/mentor and you described the first race perfectly. The “start” of the Piston Cup was also so creative to think of!

I love how the chapter ends with Doc saying “That’ll work.” I just thought “You have no idea, Doc. You’re a legend in the making.” :laughing:

Thank you!! :smiley: Yeah! That’s what I’m trying to do! I’m trying to keep in mind all the things we know from the movie and work their origins in. :slight_smile: Oh good, I wanted you to get that type of mentor vibe from Rick! Hahaha, I know, he doesn’t have a clue yet. :wink:

I just wanted to let everyone know that this story is going to be put on a temporary hiatus. It has been taking a large amount of work and I just haven’t been getting a huge overall response (I also post on FFN). I love and appreciate the feedback I have gotten, and I will finish the story in time, I would just like to put it on hold for now so I can put more focus on my other story and to possibly generate new ideas for future fiction. I’m very sorry for any inconvenience and hope you will be understanding in this. Thank you.

That’s understandable! Anyway I think you did a great job so far.

Thank you. :slight_smile: And that’s why I’ll be sure to continue it eventually, whether there be ten readers or one!

I’ll read it whenever you put it up^^.