Environmental Messages in WALL·E

Just as a note, I do not believe that WALL·E had any sort of underlying environmental message (and if it did I don’t care) other than it’s poignant theme of rebirth and romance. The views shared by Fox News and the ones quoted in my first post are not mine, I’m just relaying them.

But how is having environmental messages “dumbing” the film down? If there were any, it would only make the film that much more intelligent.

“Evil ‘leftist’ Propoganda?”

Since when is pointing out that taking care of the environment, encouraging responsible care of the earth, and respecting nature and it’s resources “leftist” or “evil?” Nature, left to it’s own devices, does what it needs to do. The damage is done by mankind, and that is a simple fact. NOT an opinion–but a fact.

Clear cutting, cheap mining claims bought by mega corporations who pollute the land and water supplies with cyanide and then leave it for the American taxpayer to clean up, mountain top mining, and the resulting poisonous river sludge, ocean pollution the size of North America floating in the oceans, untested GM crops being forced on farmers and the American public being denied the right to know what’s gm or not, private farmers being denied the right to test their cattle for

All in the misguided belief that it’s “free market.” It’s not. Most of these corporations are HEAVILY subsidized by the AMERICAN TAXPAYER!

Not to mention that virtually every bible of every religion, including the christian bible, demands that mankind take care of whatever god they choose to believe in gave them.

Nature’s resources are an amazing gift the earth has given us. I love that Wall-e very elegantly points this out.

Anyone who thinks this is an “evil leftist” or even POLITICAL statement is just plain nuts.

Um, I didn’t interpret pro-environment messages being “bashed” in this discussion; only the anti-consumerism messages seem to have been “bashed”.

The sad truth is, many environmentalists, whether you’ll admit or not, Funkypunk, are indeed left-wing, anti-consumerism people. Take the Animal Rights movement, for instance. You claim that the common people are manipulated into opposing the environment. In the case of AR extremism, at least, only the common people being manipulated, period, is true. AR extremists are actually the ones manipulating the people through media stations. You also don’t need to do much research to know that the biggest AR organizations support domestic terrorism and lobby politicians to do the following (it is NOT limited to these, however):

1. Ban hunting, even when it is absolutely necessary to control a population of a species, like deer over where I live.

2. Force mandatory spay/neuter laws on pets to keep the children of the future from having them and appreciating animals.

3. Outright banning some species, almost always by promoting lies and propaganda to get people to support it, as is the case with the snake ban pitbulllady has mentioned on this board.

On top of that, most of the politicians that work for these organizations to strip us of our rights just so happen to be left-wing Democrats.

There is also no REAL right or wrong in terms of certain environmental topics, such as responsible pet ownership, despite what you seem to think.

Additionally, though I acknowledge that calling left-wing people “evil” is extreme, most people over 8 years old who’ve seen this movie KNOW it has environmental messages, which usually are political as well. Thus, you probably insulted most of the people who read this by calling them “nuts”.

Ironically, no longer addressing Funkypunk, Fox News is NOT the conservatives they claim to be, proven by their blind support of the aforementioned AR extremists.

I acknowledge that romance was involved as well, but environmentalism, while I’m not going to argue about whether its apolitical form is wrong (which it isn’t), was DEFINITELY involved as well. Purchase the soundtrack CD if you want proof other than movie details: the case is made out of recycled cardboard.

I don’t see the apolitical form of environmentalism as bad, either. I just tend to become strongly opposed to it when extremists (one type of which you have perfectly described) bring it into politics, which would only force it onto the people, which you yourself seem to be opposed to as well.

Despite my anti-AR talk in my last few posts, I am NOT anti-environment. I believe in the preservation of life, and I love seeing nature when I am skiing this time of year. I also wish to conserve whatever non-human life there is on this planet, and animal captivity, despite what AR extremists say and want, is one way to do so.

Typical paranoid fringe right talking points. Seeing as how you garner your thoughts from the drug addict rush limbo, there’s no point in arguing your ignorance.

EXCUSE ME!? You have no proof whatsoever that I’m a drug addict! :angry:

And even if I am being ignorant, how is you denying the dark reality of life any different?

Uh-oh, I can see this is turning ugly and not the way I intended the discussion to turn out. Guys, let’s just leave politics out of the discussion and I’ll change the name of the forum to something less controversial.

Moderator note: while debate of the finer points of Pixar topics is encouraged, personal attacks is not so please keep the debate civil or this thread may be locked. Furthermore, any member that continues with the personal attacks will be suspended from the forums for a period of time. There IS a way to debate without being personal, and I’m mainly addressing this to you, Funkypunk.

Thank you.

The link you posted offends my political beliefs, just by the fact that it includes the words “right wing” and says that they are against Wall-E for including environmental issues. Changing the title of the thread does not change the title of the article.

Movie-viewing does NOT help the environment, unless that movie pumps you up to do something about it. Wall-E has the message, but what it lacks is the pumping. Message - pumping = loss of effect.

Yeah, I had some major discrepancies with that article as well. The general grouping that all “Right Wing” conservatives are anti environment, anti government spending, and are all pro gun fanatics is a growing stereotype people need to break out of. That saidthe fact that, Fox News or Rush Limbaugh are the most vocal, if not only, conservative “news” channels does provide an unfortunate scapegoat if or people thinking “Fox News=Word Of God”.

Actually, I’m seeing them do this a ‘‘lot’’ recently, what with The Muppets, The Lorax and The Secret World of Arrietty. Makes me wonder why their scope is only limited to children’s entertainment, when there’s plent of adult movies that are much less subtle to pick apart.