Epic (Leaf Man)

So, Epic, huh?

Saw the trailer twice, once in English when I saw Brave, and another time in Dutch when I saw Wreck-it Ralph. The film looks really pretty, and I’m just a really big fan of Blue Sky’s work. Not sure about the humour, 'cause it seems a bit out-of-place, but we’ll see.

Rio is definitely my favourite Blue Sky film, though. Biiiirds. I loves birdies. Ice Age is awesome too, and its sequels are also sweet. Robots I don’t remember much from and Horton Hears a Who is all kinds of awesome as well.

Blue Sky is always very good about being artistic with nature and creating beautiful landscapes. This film appears to be taking that to heart.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, OH MY GOSH! :open_mouth:

Epic Official International Trailer #1

Not only did they use Avatar’s trailer music, Guardians At The Gate by Audiomachine, they also used one of my favourite trailer songs of all-time, Dream Chasers by Future World Music (which I discovered in the How To Train Your Dragon trailer and I used in one of my fan trailers).

Probably the only trailer for a movie this year so far that actually got my heart racing, like how Pixar trailers used to for me. :slight_smile: Love it love it love it love it!

That trailer was better then the two American trailers, but I’m still a little skeptical about this.

Agreed. I think it was poorly edited.

The film itself may be good, but the trailer is meh, an unforgivable sin for a film named Epic.

If you two were referring to the latest trailer, yeah, I’m supposed I’m biased because I look out for trailer music and such. It was kinda “off” that they threw too many scenes in without attempting to give some sort of narrative to the trailer (a trailer should be a mini-summary of the movie without giving away too many spoilers). But I still think it was a good use of trailer music and I give this 11/10. :mrgreen:

The projectionist played this at the press screening for The Croods yesterday and while the audience (mostly made up of mums, possibly female reporters or spouses of male reporters, and kids) were restless during the new Turbo trailer, they were silent with a few murmurs for this one. :slight_smile:

Or maybe they were just too shocked at how “terrible” Epic is, haha. 8D

I wrote on FB that I’m really only going to see it for Aziz Ansari’s slug, the photorealistic visuals, and the environmental (???) theme. Other than that, I’m just stoked on trailer hype alone and my love for the studio and its previous works.

Trailer looks okay I actually like all Blue Sky movies, except Horton Hears a Who… It annoyed me. :blush:

Danny Elfman you say? Cool! :smiley:

I saw the new trailer today in Croods that shows more on the movie and I think it will be a good hit. The new trailer makes me more interested the first gave me chills great editing.

IV: Haha, what was it about Horton that annoyed you? Just curious. :slight_smile:

LittleTomo: Welcome to the club! The EPIC club! For EPIC people! :slight_smile:

I snagged a spare poster at work for it. I collect movie posters. I’m waiting for the Monsters University with everyone in it. I am so excited for Epic… I can’t wait for May. .___. I don’t want to wait for May to see it. XD

I didn’t care for the characters, particularly Horton(I do not like Jim Carey. He isn’t funny, he just yells and acts like a moron) and Jojo. I thought it was stereotypical, and not funny. I just didn’t like it. I honestly think there’s more depth in the children’s book.

My thoughts based on that international trailer:

• The premise seems a bit generic, but I’m thinking that with proper execution it could be really good.
  • I’m gonna have to get used to the character designs I think… they aren’t bad or unpleasant, there’s just something sort of strange about them? I have a tendency to feel that way when I’ve only seen a trailer though. The humans look a little generic, although not bad.
  • I bet the environmental effects will be really beautiful on a big screen. Reminds me of a modern-day A Bug’s Life :smiley:
  • No cringe-worthy jokes or anything in this trailer and that’s always a good sign.

I’m looking forward to it!

Popping in late to fangirl about the fact that Danny Elfman is doing the score because I’ve recently discovered his work and it’s just awesome. Eeee!

Okay, back to regurlarly scheduled opinions. xD Lol

I’m still going to see this one. The graphics look amazing.

I’m glad we share the same opinion, Badger! Can’t wait, too. I have a feeling it’ll be a very earnest and feel-good adventure romp much like Dreamworks’ Rise of the Guardians.

I’m expecting a visual feast for the eyes, but an ok story. That seems to be the norm when it comes to BlueSky movies. There will probably be moments where I wished we could have gotten to know the characters more, and spent a little less time on slapstick humor, and “jive talking” sidekicks.

So I’m the first to post since seeing it for reals. Awesome… :mrgreen:
I got to see this a couple of weeks ago, and I really think it should be getting more credit, because Epic absolutely posilutely lives up to its name. I loved it! Besides it being amazing visually, I adore the characters, the story is enthralling and exciting, and it has some serious heavy doses of heart! Gahhhh it is just too much awesomeness! It is Epic, after all! Another William Joyce-written film/Blue Sky classic knocks it out of the park for me :slight_smile:

I thought it was good, but not great.
For me personally I hate it when they try to explain too much in a movie which imo they did in this movie.
It kind off dumbed me down. And storywise I saw a few holes, plus I would’ve liked to see more heart in it, character-wise I mean… like when the queen died, I honestly did NOT care it happened.

The look of the film was very well done, the characters looked very much like those older traditional animated movies like FERN GULLY, but then in CGI, real nice. Also the forest looks amazing!
Just one thing I dont get about the characters is why the forest-queen looks so much like Tiana (princess and the frog) and not a bit more epic.

Overall I thought the look of the film was GREAT but storywise they could’ve tweaked it a bit, to make it less of a kids-movie and in this case more EPIC

I posted a comment on this topic on my internship but its internet tends to be weird so I couldn’t for some reason. So I lost my complete post. BLEH.

Anyway, what I was going to say was that I absolutely loved the animation, the scenery, and character design, the story as well, and of course the score! I saw it in Dutch because it was the only way in my area - but I wasn’t even disappointed! The Dutch voices seemed natural and not forced - I was impressed.

And of course, it was a really nice movie in general.

I think we’re going to see it on Friday…

I saw this movie like 3 times… LOVED IT! , I think its my new fav movie done by Blue Sky animation.