Fan's Plea: Why I don't want Monsters University to be made

I’m kinda on the fence about the Monster’s Inc prequel. Although its not a bad idea, it probably won’t be great to me. If anything, I was hoping for a sequel where Mike and Sully want to see Boo grown up. Well, seeing its Pixar and MI was my favorite non-Toy Story movie from Pixar, I’ll probably give this a shot.

You know, Pixar has the right to make sequels if they want to, guys.

Seriously.

I’m just sick of all the bashing every time Pixar announces a new installment of a preexisting franchise. We reacted the same to Toy Story 3, for crying out loud, and now the fandom pretends that never happened, sweeps any evidence under the rug, and moves on to complain about the next sequel. And because Cars 2 wasn’t a critical favorite, it’s gone from some skepticism to the point where any sequel Pixar makes is automatically going to be horrible and is just for the cash.

If a prequel really disrupts people so much, don’t go see it. Don’t support it with your money. But I’m guessing that you’ll be missing out on, if nothing more, a fun time.

I agree with Netbug. Pixar can do stories they want to see. If they think it’s great enough, they will go ahead. Must we really bash the company that this board is dedicated to?

I’m not against it. I’m just disappointed that it’s a prequel. I want to find out what happens NEXT!

Prequels and midquels really disappoint me. I feel like it’s going nowhere with the story.

EXACTLY! I agree. Anything that isn’t progress is no fun for me. :confused:

I’m just now reading this thread for the first time, but I have to say I concur with almost every single thing you’ve said. You’ve expressed your and my views very well. As much as I adore Monsters Inc. and the characters of the movie, I don’t quite understand why the film is being made, but that’s not to say it shouldn’t be made, because much of the story remains a mystery. I may be very critical of the prequel unless something innovative and clever is done with the story or character development. And while I have faith in Pixar, as you put it… there’s a slight chance of Monsters University will be on the level of Cars 2, though I do expect greater things. I want depth and not mere entertainment.

I also disagree with the sentiment that we are not allowed to criticize Pixar. I should be able to openly criticize whatever movie made by whatever studio, and it’s not a simple solution to avoid seeing the movie, because I’m too much of a fan of Pixar. And being a devoted fan doesn’t mean I will blindly adore everything or keep quiet about my opinion on a Pixar fan forum.

Really, Pixar wouldn’t release the movies to the public if they were not meant to be appreciated/watched by others. I understand if people at Pixar have attachments to certain characters and therefore wish to base an entire movie off them without much substance to contribute (see Cars 2), but I’m not trying to attack anyone on a personal level when I criticize a film or decision in making a film. Basically, I want more awesome, emotionally moving films from Pixar. Monsters University could be one of those, but I’m just not sure yet. Hey, with Stanton and Docter writing the script, that’s something promising. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what to think yet for the prequel. The concept art that they revealed at D23 months ago looked promising. Can’t wait to see what a younger version of Randall will look like or what they could do with his character.