First Reaction

When I saw the teaser, I was all, “Wow, this looks like something I’m not gonna wanna see.”

I was wrong once I saw the actual trailers. It looked really funny! And it was! Only, I really need to watch it again. It’s the only Pixar movie I’ve ever seen just once! And that’s not a good thing!

I wanted to see it because it looked cute, the only thing was that I couldn’t pronounce the name -_-"

My first reaction after seeing the trailer for Ratatouille was EXCITEMENT!

Because I’m a huge Patton Oswalt fan. I love his comedy and I grew up watching King of Queens. So when I heard Patton’s voice coming out of a little rat I was like “This. is. AWESOME!”

When I first saw the teaser trailer before Cars, I though it looked good, but to me didn’t seem like the kind of thing Pixar would make. :slight_smile:

I wanted to see it, but I didn’t think I would like it as much as I do.

When I first saw the trailer I was like "a movie about a rat that cooks…) I thought it would be stupid but I was wrong. I also feelt the same way with Up on the teaser trailer.

I saw the teaser and I was like, “Aw man, I hate cheese.” Then I was kind of confused about how this was going to be a full length movie, but I admit the “What are you eating?” joke made me laugh. I then saw the theatrical trailer and it was awesome! Usually Pixar has some pretty bad trailers (in my opinion), but the good ones (A Bug’s Life, Monsters Inc., Wall•E) really stand out, and this was one of those trailers. However, I still thought it was going to be a flat-out comedy, and I sort of forgot about it for a while. Then when it starteed showing in my theater I was like, “Oh yah I remember Ratatouille, this should be funny.” It was funny, funnier than I expected, but as always it touched me in a way I didn’t expect. Funny now looing back that I originally was turned off by this movie just because the first thing we see is a sample of assorted cheeses. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: I don’t know why this made me laugh, but it did! And to be honest, you’re the only person I’ve ever heard say that they hate cheese.

I thought it looked pretty interesting. For some reason I disliked the waiter’s hand in the clip, but I have no idea why it bugged me at the time. I don’t have a problem with it now.

When I first saw the trailer I got so excited!! I thought it was going to be a great movie and I was right! :smiley:

Well, I have been a huge fan of Pixar my entire life, since the first time I saw Toy Story when I was just a little boy. Then Monsters, Inc. secured me as a true fan, you know, not just one of those talkkers. However, being a fan is just kind of where it stopped. That is until I saw Ratatouille. THis movie blew my mind, in so many ways. It was so funny, so intelligent, and most of all, so beautiful. I didn’t see it in theaters and I immediately regreted that once I saw the film. This really is the movie that made me obsessed with Pixar. Without it, I don’t know if I would be here on Pixar Planet today.

Me too! I’ve always loved Pixar films since I was a kid, but this was the first one that I saw and actually looked at the design. The film is just so gorgeous to look at… I’m sure that you could take a screenshot from any scene in this movie and still find something beautiful in it. That’s not to say that Pixar’s earlier films weren’t beautiful, they just never struck me in the way Ratatouille did.

I also love the characters- they’re all flawed but likeable (well, to me they are). Also, the way the film quietly ends is incredibly brave for an animated film- the climax isn’t action-packed or loud, the film reaches it’s natural conclusion.

Infact, this is the movie that made me really obsessed with Pixar as well.

That’s sort of how it was for me. I remember that after seeing Cars I thought, “Hey, that movie was pretty good. I think I kinda like this Pixar company now.” and after seeing Ratatouille I said, “Okay. I’m a fan now. I wonder what their next film is all about?” And after seeing Ratatouille was basically when I became a major Pixar fan.

I like Ratatouille,it was good but I think it’s a little overrated.I did like Remy,and Colette was OK.Linguini was a [spoil]very weak[/spoil] character and I [spoil]hated[/spoil] him and Colette’s relationship because it felt [spoil]forced[/spoil]…It was good but not all that as people say it is…

P.S:I spoiled certian words and phrases so that fans wouldn’t be hurt…I wish people would do that with Cars… :confused:

Hey, you don’t have to put a spoiler over your opinions, CarsLuver. :slight_smile:

I love this movie, but I have to agree - Colette and Alfredo’s relationship was very forced, but that is completely in Colette’s character to jump into something like that. Alfredo may be considered a “weak” character because he is just very insecure and I don’t think he holds a very high respect for himself. To me, that is a very relatable sort of character, because we all are insecure and we think that we are worth nothing, but we just need someone to come into our lives to show us who we can be. That is what Remy did for Alfredo. He helped him find his job, and yet, at the same time, was helping Remy in pursuing his dreams. :slight_smile:

But I really don’t like Colette. She just feels so… fake. She feels like the stereotypical “French snob”-type character and that really bugs me. :confused: It feels very obvious that she is totally wrapping Alfredo around her finger, because he is so insecure and he would fall for whoever makes him feel like he’s worth something. Their relationship doesn’t seem as though it would last very long. Just my opinion. :confused:

I guess the number one reason why I love this movie so much is because, even though it’s about cooking, I relate it to being about any dream you have in your heart. Remy did everything he could to pursue his dream - even though he had to leave his family and friends behind. The movie tells people who have big dreams to never stop pursuing them, even if everyone around you (including your family) tells you that you are too small to do it, or you don’t live in a big enough place for it to happen (I have heard that before).

And here’s a quote to end my extremely long explanation:
“All your dreams can come true… if you have the courage to pursue them.” - Walt Disney.
I think that quote matches Ratatouille perfectly. :slight_smile:

Yeah,I agree completely with you post.The thing about Linguini though was that he totally pushed Remy out of the way when he and Colette got together,kinda like betraying his friend,which I think is messed up considering Remy was the only friend he had…and he dosen’t take charge of things as opposed to main characters like Woody,Lightning McQueen,or Flik.He just allows people to take advantage of him,which I think is very weak-minded… :confused:

Well, like I said, if he’s insecure, of course he’s gonna let people take advantage of him, it’s almost like he can’t help it. I did find it wrong that he totally forgot about Remy… but I think that was because he was too obsessed with Colette at the time, and he needed a reality check in order to set his mind right again. Remy raiding the food pantry really helped with that, I think.

Not everyone can take charge in a situation (I can’t :laughing:), so that’s why I felt that his personality was more relatable. I could relate to how he couldn’t stand up for himself, because I am very much the same way. It’s all a matter of how much you can relate, I guess. :confused:

My first reaction to the trailer (not the teaser, because there you didn’t have a great insight of the movie) was of great excitement.

I mean, after the slight disappointed with Cars, I had the strong feeling that now we were about to see a very imaginative piece with a terrific story and oh so unbelievable animation.

It turned out I was right. The movie is a masterpiece, an to the date, still one of my favorites.

I’ve said this before, but Ratatouille really was the very first time I started doubting Pixar when normally I had been following every new film since Toy Story. I can only remember seeing the teaser really well on the Cars DVD and just not getting it. I don’t think I could quite get the whole premise of it, and I thought it seemed “out of the norm” for Pixar cause it was all about cooking. I don’t think it was because it was about rats, but that I couldn’t find it as imaginative as their other films, which is why I skipped it entirely in favor of Wall-E. I think it took seeing how good Up was (another Pixar film with an odd, questionable concept) for me to finally go back and start warming up to the film. I’ve been finding it a lot easier to connect to the story now that I see it in relation to art and how any aspiring artist can relate to Remy in that way. Ironically, I had been in cooking class before and was always complaining to myself that “I don’t want to be here. I want to be in art class!”, but Ratatouille reminds me that cooking itself can be an art, though not the kind of art that everyone would prefer. What’s nice about “Anyone Can Cook!” is that it can speak of all kinds of arts besides cooking, so anyone can relate their passions to it.

I also think it helps to know that Brad Bird himself couldn’t get into the film right away either when he was asked to direct. One of my favorite lines of his from the deleted scenes is actually “You’re looking kinda cheffy today!”, which he says came out of not knowing a thing about cooking.