For kids?

I would classify as movies for adults and kids but you have to understand animated movies are driven towards kids. Kids love cartoons and the kids that really love cartoons turn into adults that love cartoons. That’s just how I see it.

Well they think they are soo cool. :unamused: when in reality they have no idea what they’re talking about.

Exactly!! That’s why I hate non-PP teenagers. I have no social skills because I will not accept stupidity.

Haha good for you! Its unfortunate that there are so many ignorant people in the world. Makes me sick. :unamused:

Honestly - nothing bugs me more than that. Along the lines of what MBproductions13 said, it’s just that teens don’t want their peers to think that they enjoy “children’s movies”. Either that, or they have seen an animated movie before that was really geared towards kids and it gave them an impression that every animated movie on the face of the earth was like that movie. So they don’t give the good films the time of day.

One of my friends absolutely hated Pixar movies (or basically any animated movie in general), she always said “Ohh, I hated Toy Story when I was little!”, And it took alot of convincing to get her to watch just one animated movie. She rented Up with her family a while back, and absolutely loved it. Since then, she seems a bit more open-minded about animated movies (she even went to go see Toy Story 3 in theaters… which is not normally what she’d do). It just goes to show that people need to pay more attention and to stop being so ignorant.

I think it’s just some kind of stereotype that was placed on all animated movies, which is unfortunate. People are totally missing out on some great movies just because of this whole, “well, it’s a kid’s movie” thing. It really does get on my nerves sometimes. :angry:

It’s really weird. When I was littler(like 0-9), I loved cartoons. No really, loved and obsessed over, not appreciated. But now looking back, they mean so much more. Now they make me cry, which didn’t happen when I was little. Cartoons are the films I watch repeatedly and obsess over, where as live action films are something I try out and sometimes treasure, but sometimes…no. 8D

It’s basically the same way for me, IV. We grew up on Disney cartoons (mainly the sing-a-longs - we loved those!!) but we never really noticed or appreciated the work that was put into them.

But when you’re a kid, none of that matters, anyways. :slight_smile: This is kinda off-topic, but we used to watch ABL all the time when we were kids, and we would always act out the movie. My brother was honestly the best Hopper ever. 8D So, basically, animated movies were always a big part of our lives, and it’s no wonder that we want to go into animation (or movie-making in general) someday. :smiley:

I still appreciate live-action films, though. There is still alot of effort put into any kind of film, be it animation or live-action. But the thing people don’t realize about animation is the fact that they put so much heart into these films, just as actors do when they’re getting into their characters. With animation, they can explore characters better because they have control over them. They can experience with such a wide range of emotions that some actors and actresses lack. And, plus - they can explore places that your typical live-action film cannot - such as the lives of bugs, rats, and cars. :wink:

I really love some live action films. Animation just…suits my “colorful”, loud persona better, and I’m having an affair with it. :laughing:

Dido my friend. :-D)

Yeah, a lot of people around here probably agree with us. We’re cool. :sunglasses:

Let’s not forget all the adult humor in the films. They’re cretainly for adults and kids. My grandparents may of even watched Up.

Unlike a lot of people, I’m not offended by Pixar’s movies being called “cartoons”. That’s what they are, and the people at Pixar themselves acknowledge them as being such. Now, when they say it in a derogatory way, such as “They’re just cartoons,” then I get angry. The way a film is made should not set it apart from others (in this case, animation and live action.) Especially the way the academy does it gets me fired up. Excluding animation from Best Picture is like saying “this movie was shot with a different camera than the others, so it doesn’t count.” A load of garbage, that is.

You’re right, Leirin. Denying a medium’s existence or roots is like saying you’re offended at being called “white” or “Caucasian”. Cartoons or animation should be proud to be acknowledged as such, and it is only when it is used in a derogatory sense that it becomes offensive.

I have always been young at heart,anyway,and Pixar films touch my heart and rekindle my childhood,so in a way,I think Pixar films are for adults,too,because childhood was a fun time and I think anything that can make you feel like a kid again is a very good thing.

I think some people just say “kid movie” to mean anything that kids can watch, that’s not rated PG-13 or R. And they don’t know what they’re missing.
Maybe it’s because of the direct-to-DVD sequels Disney made. Some were pretty good, but you have to admit they have a kiddier feel than the originals, playing everything safe. After seeing all those recent sequels, people forgot about the epicness of the originals. Like:“Just saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame II. What a kiddy movie. The focus is finding a love interest- been there, seen that! How could I ever thought of animated people as so real and dramatic? Lemme look at the rating of the original- ah, see, rated G. Lame, must be for kids.” While the original was VERY dark and deep.
Yes, ignorant indeed.

I can’t stand it when parents hate a Pixar movie because they assume that it’s a kid’s movie and shouldn’t have anything that would scare kids, and when their children become frightened by Pixar films they get all mad at Pixar for putting intense/scary things into a “kid’s movie.” I have a good friend who is one of the sweetest people I know, but she thinks that Toy Story 3 is “stupid” because when she took her 8-year-old niece to see it, they had to leave the theater because the little girl was crying because she was so scared. And I’m fairly certain that she knows about my Toy Story obsession, so I’m afraid that she might think I’m childish or something. She would be my friend even if she did think I was childish, but still.

Whenever I read a review like the one Spirit posted earlier in this thread, I just want to yell at them, “The problem is not with Pixar, the problem is with your misconception about what this movie is supposed to be!”

Ahhhhh, a thread I can really sink my teeth into. :smiling_imp:

The problem with media’s interpretation of animation is that it treats animation as a genre aimed towards children, and not as it should be, which is as a film technique. This little phenomenon, according to TVTropes, is called the “Animation Age Ghetto”, and you can read about it here: [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto[/url]. It’s been mentioned here before, but the article really is quite excellent, as it explains exactly WHY American animation is treated the way it is, and the history behind it.

As you can see, it mainly effects American animation; somehow foreign animation, such as what can be found in France and Japan, managed to escape this (possibly because of different censorship laws). This is really unfortunate, because it means that animated movies that are made in America or brought in outside of America are either crowded into the kiddie section where they REALLY shouldn’t be (for example, I found Waltz with Bashir being sold right alongside Dora the Explorer, for crying out loud), advertised as being geared for kids no matter WHAT the content actually is (if it’s a G-PG rated movie) OR they are completely shunned in the box office and in reviews for “not being for kids” (ALA Shane Acker’s ‘9’). Unfortunately, this can swing the other way too; thanks to the existance of hentai, this has now expanded to “all animation is for kids, and if it isn’t then it’s animated p*rn.” :unamused:

The good news is that, over time, this idea is changing, as darker and not quite so kid-friendly ideas are being seen more and more often in animated films in theatres; I remember as a kid watching “The Lion King” from a VHS and “The Prince of Egypt” when it first came out, then rewatching it when I grew older and really appreciating the dark undertones in these movies. This is one of the reasons why I really loved watching Toy Story 3; many kids might have considered the Incinerator scene to be terrifying, but I loved it because it was so dark; all of the main characters ALMOST DIED. It broke the rules. And when you think about it, TS3 was never meant for kids in the first place. My theory is that it was aimed towards those who were children when Toy Story first came out, and who would be graduating from High School and entering into University, just like Andy was in the film. In other words, the animation grew up right alongside us.

In other words, though it will take a long time yet before the Animation Age Ghetto is proven false and this stereotype is broken, eventually the public will see that animation is a technique, not a genre, and that family films and more adult-oriented films (such as Persepolis) can be equally accepted.

So what? Even Pixar can’t escape the Animation Age Ghetto? Bullcrap. Notice how EXTREMELY well recieved they are.

I don’t think that Pixar only makes children’s films. They make family films which appeal to people of all ages. In my opinion some of Pixar’s stories seem to appeal more for teens and adults with their serious films like Up and TS3.

Oh, they can, and have with their most recent movies. It just hasn’t always been that way.