Frozen (The Snow Queen)

I’m not really against the idea of her just being born with the powers, it’s just brought up and discarded in such a one off and casual way it came off as incredibly jarring. Plus, by the end of the film, the closest we ever get to finding out if this is a normal thing is him asking if she was born with the powers to begin with, and even that doesn’t necessarily imply people are just randomly born with powers for no reason (e.g. Rapunzel was born with powers but there was a reason for it).

Plus, the extent of the powers makes it harder for me to believe. She’s pretty much a goddess, right down to being able to make life with such ease she didn’t know she did it. It just stretches my suspension of disbelief a bit too far.

Ugh, I hate the Maelstrom thing, and really all the stuff they’re planning on doing to Norway at World Showcase. World Showcase isn’t supposed to be for this kind of thing.

So, she’s a mutant, or whatever, and was born that way.

If I had written that screenplay, I wouldn’t have explained that either. I think it would be an unecessary subplot.

And why are the Incredibles born with powers? Or Maleficent? Or the Harry Potter wizards? Some people are special in those universes, and that’s enough, I think.

Well, if anything unusual had happened to give Elsa powers, you’d think her mother would have noticed it while she was pregnant with her.
The simple fact that they say “born with the powers” indicates nothing remarkable at all happened.
And whatever it was, it only happened once, since Anna is just an ordinary girl.

I just think it doesn’t truly matter, in the greater scheme of things, if it was worthy of an explanation, you’d have gotten one.
Alternately, they could be saving it for a sequel.

The only parallel I can think of is the Guardians of Kandrakar.
In the beginning, you weren’t told anything about how they obtained their powers, they were born with them and just took a while to discover they had them, although Cornelia discovered hers first (somewhere around the age of 4-5).
I think eventually they say the forces of nature chose them, but that’s all they say on that topic.

Although, Elsa doesn’t actually have magical powers, it’s just people assuming it’s magic, since they don’t really understand what they are seeing.
Elsa is an Elemental, they don’t use magic, they just have a paranormal ability to control a force of nature.
In Elsa’s case, she can make it do things that aren’t normally possible, but that’s about it.

Did anyone else guess the [spoil]Hans thing[/spoil] (has the movie been out long enough for us to not use spoilers?) really quickly? People seem split on it being a horrible twist because it’s not foreshadowed at all (and I agree), and thinking it’s a great twist because you never see it coming, but I guessed it within a minute of the character showing up.

I think it’s probably safe to not put spoilers on things here anymore, most everyone has seen the movie!

I somewhat saw it coming but I also still feel like it was kind of just a twist for the sake of a twist. I mean no offense to anyone who thought it was better than that, but I don’t think it was terribly necessary—Hans could very well have just been not the right man for Anna. That being said I’m not opposed to him being evil, which kind of adds an extra perspective to Elsa not approving of him earlier on in the film.

Considering that Kristoff was another potential love-interest and that Elsa was confirmed not to be the villain, it seemed pretty clear to me.

Speaking of Frozen, I hear there’s an ice show coming up. And my twin nieces are planning for a Frozen-themed party!

Well, a lot of movies seem to have an unexpected plot twist within them, don’t they? But not all plot twists become famous scenes.

Really? I did not know that! Though I completely disagree about how Elsa should meet Frozone, 'cause that might be considered unnecessary shipping.

I think we already know the backstory. He grew up living with Sven and the trolls, and he wanted to sell ice.

By the way, my mom’s favorite character from this movie is Olaf. She loves snowmen, and think’s he’s cute! I even got her a bobblehead hula-dancing Olaf for Christmas in July!

My favorites are Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Sven, and Olaf. I also like the trolls. And one of my favorite scenes would be when Elsa gives to Olaf his “own personal flurry”.

evspixarfan2012

There’s a difference between “Unexpected” (that’s what most twists are supposed to be), and just flat out giving us no indicators this was going to happen, and in fact going the opposite direct and having things happen that make no sense later (for example, he continues to give a love struck smile after Anna leaves and he no longer has to act).

There’s this random kid with this random reindeer following these random ice cutters who then gets grabbed by magic trolls. Why does neither he nor anyone else care that the trolls effectively kidnapped him? You’d think he’d kind of be bothered by never seeing his parents again. Is he an orphan? Why’s he following these ice guys around then? Where’d he get the clothes, carrots, and sled then? Hell, where’d he get the reindeer? And either way, how’d these rocks even take care of him? There’s a distinct lack of safe shelter and food around that place. And why’s he hate people? There doesn’t seem to be any indication the rocks hate people, and he shows a distinct lack of disgust throughout the prologue.

I said meet not date. :wink:
I wasn’t visualizing a romantic relationship with that statement.

The only shipping I approve of involves loading goods onto a freight boat and sending it somewhere to store. :stuck_out_tongue:

A Frozen short film has been announced:

[url]http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42062[/url]

A short could work really well, and I’m really looking forward to hearing that new song accompanying it :slight_smile:

Is there any way we can watch the making off online, even when you don’t live in america?

I really want to see the reactions of people who completely HATE Frozen. 8D

I wonder what it will be about…

There are people who hate Frozen? :open_mouth:

Are there rational reasons or is it just the usual IHateItForNoGoodReason principle?

Please enlighten me.

Okay, I tried to sort of move on, but it’s bugging at me; the comparisons to Harry Potter, The Incredibles, and other series with powered characters do not work because in those worlds we know being born with powers happens often. We see dozens of people in-universe who also have powers. Their worlds are based around the idea that powers are a regular thing. Frozen doesn’t have that; it is ONLY Elsa, and every one clearly acts like powers aren’t a regular thing. The whole plot revolves around people not being used to people having powers.

A more accurate comparison would be if Ratatouille had Linguini speaking with Remy, with the only reason why being an offhanded mention that Linguini was “born with” the ability to talk to animals.

That depends on who you’re talking to, and what exactly you’d consider a big deal. There are genuine good points out there, and there are really stupid points out there. And some have good complaints they just push to disproportionate levels.

Here’s a couple of the more levelheaded things talking about the flaws from people who didn’t like it I could find;

youtube.com/watch?v=wQLhXhf5ZC8
krissalus.hubpages.com/hub/We-Ne … ing-Frozen

Anyone wanna see Frozen Fever?

I do! Although I’m not sure if I want to see it enough to go see the live action Cinderella. :laughing:

I really want to see it. The Cinderella movie looks kind of interesting, but I’m thinking of waiting a little bit to see if it’s released anywhere else, like on Youtube or a different DVD edition of Frozen.

want to see it, but I won’t see Cinderella for it.

I want to see Frozen Fever.

But I’m not sure it’s worth paying for the ticket to LiveAction Cinderella to do so.
I don’t really like LA adaptions as the failure rate is high.
Also, I’m not a Cinderella fan, so the movie would hold very little interest for me.

I hope they put the movie up somewhere else (legally!) so I can see it.
But as they never did this with Tangled Ever After, I doubt they’ll do it with Frozen Fever.

I am a bit confused about how Elsa can catch a cold, given her biological immunity to low temperatures, it should be impossible for her to catch this illness. Or most illnesses in fact, as her superhuman biology would make her hard to infect with any bacterium or virus,

Buckmana: that concept intrigues me as well. I guess we’ll have to see. Funny how she sings “The cold never bothered me anyway”, but in Frozen Fever however, [spoil]it’s a cold that acts as an obstacle in the short.[/spoil]