Golden Globes

Seeing as I’m actually from the same part of the country as where Glee is set, heck even the same part of the state (the city where the show is set is less than an hour away), I can’t get into the show because it comes across as just too false. I’ve known kids in the various cliques and extracurricular activities represented in this show and the characters are nothing like them.

Admittedly finding fault with the entire show because of such a small nitpick as that is very shallow. There are many from here with similar experiences to mine who adore the show. But those people aren’t me

All this while Community, a tremendous show in every respect, gets no love from audiences and critics alike.

And would it kill Glee to even mention my city? The fact that they’ve gone nearly two seasons without mentioning it is preposterous. It’s tantamount to setting a show in Poughkeepsie and never mentioning New York. And seeing as I distinctly remember having sectional events in Lima, it seems odd that no one from around here has even made an appearance.

Yes, I’m bitter. :laughing:

In other news Ricky Gervais is pretty much banned from hosting the Golden Globes again and will never be nominated for one.

And I wonder if anyone else saw Tim Allen nearly cry last night after he crashed and burned with a Toy Story quote that seemed to make Tom Hanks look embarrassed to even be up there with him. I might have been looking into it too much. I just found the whole thing rather sad. I hope things can eventually turn around for his career.

I thought I saw something weird there too! It felt off; I wasn’t really paying close attention, but I swear there was an awkward silence after he said that.

The fact that Justin Beiber presented the award made me really angry. I can just tell that they look down on animation. Maybe it was me making things up, but the crowd definately did not pay as much attention to Lee as the “real” people. It just gets me so mad, that the best movie of the year gets elbowed out of the way just because it’s animated. Deep down in their hearts they know it was the best too! Poor Toy Story. I know the true winner though :smiley:

I actually laughed at Ricky’s Tim Allen joke, because honestly, the only good movie I’ve seen him in are is the Toy Story saga. But I do feel bad for Allen, but I didn’t notice him tear up. I’ll have to check that out again…

I’ve liked him in the first Santa Clause film as well as the very underrated Sonnenfeld film, Big Trouble. He was also pretty decent in things like Mamet’s Redbelt. I’ve also enjoyed his stand-up career and of course his television show. So while he may not be all that when it comes to choosing roles, he’s still brought me years of entertainment.

But that Gervais line was pretty funny.

That wasn’t what made Allen nearly tear up though. It’s when Allen quoted Toy Story in response to Gervais, “You are a sad strange little man, and you have my pity.” That’s when the moment hit. The audience goes completely silent. It was like everyone was too sauced, too young, or too uncomfortable to get the reference or simply didn’t find it funny. Hanks pauses as if he’s embarrassed to even be up there and goes “Wow… That was a…callback.” Allen just looks around sadly as if he was being introspective about his meager future prospects and his past efforts, but especially about that the fact that his joke didn’t land.

Alright, I am looking too far into this. No question about it.

I think exactly what Robert Downey Jr. said:

Can somebody please quote the Tim Allen joke? I’m too lazy to Youtube it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sorry I jumped to such a conclusion. Perhaps I should give this show a chance? I did enjoy watching Lynch tear the cast apart in the pilot, so maybe I should stick with it and watch the first season.

Ugh, why oh why Bieber of all possible presenter candidates? :frowning: I read that Bieber was so afraid of Gervais that he needed to be accompanied backstage. What a wuss.*

*As I’ve said in the ‘Displeased with Golden Globes’ thread, I’m no Bieber hater. I just thought they had a wealth of other alternate presenters- any voice actor from any of the movies would be enough (Jay Baruchel, Bonnie Hunt, Mandy Moore, Jim Sturgess, Steve Carrell, I don’t know…).

Did I mention I like the Canadian’s single ‘Baby’? Oh, I did. I gotta stop embarassing myself.

Here’s the full thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=33ozHrZRySw

Thanks Spirit! :slight_smile: Wow… that was awkward for poor Tim. But oh so true.

Now if someone can find me the footage of Tim saying the Toy Story line, I’d be “eternally grateful”.

But from reading aerostar’s post, it truly disappoints me how no one in the audience caught the reference. :neutral_face:

^ I hadn’t found Tim’s reply.

Haha, seriously? That is pretty sad!

And I also agree that it’s sad that no one got the Tim Allen reference. I mean, come on peoples!

No worries, SoA!

I would love to continue ranting about how TSN is an utter buy-out* this year, much like any overrated critical darling of any other year. The last time any ‘Oscar pet’ had broad mass-market appeal was perhaps Lord of the Rings. I’m incredibly bitter at how The Town and Inception have been shut out of the race so early, while Toy Story 3 has been getting heaps of praises but barely any formal recognition.

*By buy-out, I mean people hopping on the bandwagon to heap praise on a film that is more than it deserves in my opinion. Not implying the financial kind of “facilitation fees” and “unspecified commissions”, though after the Annies, you never know… :unamused:

Wow. I’m surprised so many media inclined folks here aren’t aware of the fact that many find the Globes to be nothing more than a glorified racketeering scheme. You think trying to figure out who qualifies to be an voter for the AMPAS is hard try identifying just what qualifies someone to be part of the HFPA. It’s nigh impossible. It’s a fairly large body of people who often have nothing to do with press, foreign or otherwise. They’ve been accused of bribery as far back as Basic Instinct (perhaps even earlier) and the accusations haven’t let up since. There’s a reason for those potshots Gervais took at them during the opening monologue.

As for Inception? Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. Over the past few years the winners of the top prizes at the Globes have had little bearing on Oscar results. Don’t believe the media hype. If anything winning the Globe likely signals the end of its streamrolling victory march. It leaves the door wide open for Black Swan, Inception and True Grit. The Town is a dark horse if I’ve ever seen one. I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I’ve heard good things, but its inclusion will likely be a pity nod on the scale of last year’s nomination for District 9. This is a four movie race, folks.

I’m not sure how they’re going to possibly fill the ten berths available without a lot of reaching, making up films that didn’t actually exist, or filling them up with no-chance indies that most have never heard of.

Inception has a good chance at taking home Original Screenplay and a director award for Nolan. It’ll have fantastic chances in visual effects, sound categories and cinematography. We’ll also see some other unlikely contenders in those tech categories such as Scott Pilgrim.

I’m hoping the Academy makes up for the brutal crime that was the snubbing of John Powell for HTTYD. Seriously, I think the guy is still in the hospital because of the metaphorical armed robbery he endured. We’ll probably see a Daft Punk nod as well. Desplat is a rising critical darling so he’ll likely get nominated for King’s Speech. The other two spots will likely be taken by Zimmer and Burwell. I could see Daft Punk being dropped in favor for Reznor and Ross. Before you mention Mansell, he’s inadmissible.

Wow. I’ll probably have to repeat all of this again in an Academy thread. I still have more to say, but I think I’ve made my point for the time being.

Sorry for sounding so pleased with myself. It’s an ugly trait in my opinion.

Well, that just confirms my suspicions then, aerostar. The Golden Globes is a sham (And I’m not being sarcastic).

I mean, how on earth is a screenplay based on a real-life story (albeit heavily dramatised) more original than “a contemporary sci-fi actioner set within the architecture of the mind”? Come to think of it, with the exception of ‘The Kids Are All Right’, all the noms are based on true stories!

Reading the above post, I also realised how HTTYD has been robbed for Best Original Music. TSN’s score was utterly unmemorable and undistinctive (is there such a word? undistinctive?). Heck, why didn’t Hirschfelder’s magnificent score for Guardians get nominated, for that matter?

Speaking of which, as much as I love Despicable Me, I would have preferred Legend of the Guardians to have gotten a nom instead. But knowing the bias against ‘foreign-made’ films, that would never happen here (Ironically, although D.M. was managed by a Santa Monica-based company, it subcontracts the actual production to other studios around the world).

Actually, I’m really frinked off now. :imp: Sorry, I tend to get very passionate about stuff like this. Urgh…

When Johnny Depp gets nominated twice in the same category for two films that were critically panned, you know some hoo-haa is going on around here. But it’s okay; nobody pays NEARLY as much attention to the Globes as they do the Oscars. So there’s hope yet.

You’ll be happy to know that, instead of TSN’s two-notes-on-a-piano score, John Powell’s score for How to Train Your Dragon has been nominated for the BAFTA award for Best Original Music.

I’m sad to say that it’s less bias against “foreign-made films” (hi there The Illusionist and your Golden Globe nomination) and more because of the general consensus that the movie wasn’t that good. Or, at least, wasn’t as good as Despicable Me or Tangled. And it’s sad, because I really enjoyed LotG. It just could’ve been so much better. [spoil]And I don’t think voters would take a movie about owls seriously.[/spoil]

Plus, it’s half a ‘recognition festival’ for TV shows as well, and not a purely feature film event, much like the SAG or Writers’ Awards. Still, a lot of pundits like to look to the Globes as a clue to the market sentiments for the Oscars, so I, personally, take it seriously.

I have given much reflection to the common criticisms about plot pacing and all that, and I actually have come to realise that actually, it wasn’t as bad as my first impression. They certainly did away with a lot of the ‘useless’ bits of the books, and if I dare say it, it’s as good a screen adaptation to HTTYD, which also had a complete rehaul of the plot in favour of emotional content. If they truly stuck to the books, it would be much more long-winded, they would’ve lost a lot of the antagonistic relationships between Soren and Kludd, or Nyra’s character development, and there would be a lot of useless ‘side-quests’ and supporting characters which don’t contribute to the overall arc of Soren and his friends.

So I’ve now actually come to respect the scriptwriters’ decision, much like I’ve come to do so for HTTYD. I do understand that newcomers might be confused, and that’s an understandable shortcoming. But I think the filmmakers’ succeeded with what they’ve done, when it could’ve been a whole lot worse.

What would really make my day now is if they considered it for ‘Best Adapted Screenplay’ for the Oscars. But as you said, Basil, most of the grown-ups can’t take imaginative ‘kids fare’ seriously, and would rather go for a down-and-out boxer/dancer/monarch in World War 2/a developing country in political turmoil/a blue-collar town who delivers an angsty/guilt-ridden/existential soliloquy on the meaning of life or the futility of death or some stupid $%^& like that. :unamused:

Actually, the Golden Globes has only correctly predicted the winner of Best Picture at the Oscars once over the past six years: the year Slumdog Millionaire won.

In that case, I guess my fears are unfounded. Thanks for that, Basil. And predicting the Oscars, much like the economy and the weather, is a fairly clairvoyant business.

Pretty much. Awards season is one of those things where, no matter how rigged it can be at sometimes, it can definitely be up in the air. Though, since The Social Network has been taking pretty much every award recently, I wouldn’t hesitate putting my money on it. However, like I said, it’s still anybody’s game at this point, especially with The King’s Speech crushing TSN at the BAFTA awards in total nominations 14-6. Could TKS or dark horse Black Swan make a sneak attack and beat TSN at the Oscars?

We’ll just have to wait and see. At least, come Tuesday morning, we might have a better perspective of things.

Really, the only reasons anyone pays attention to the Globes is their baffling longevity over the years, their even more baffling presence on a major broadcast network of interest and because it’s the only major award show with an open bar.

That’s right. An open bar.

The other major shows are filled with dignity and poise, the minor ones are filled with indifference and out and out apathy. The Globes? Most likely the only time you’ll ever hear the closest thing to a celebs true opinion during a ceremony.

I’d really like to see Jon Stewart get another shot at hosting the Oscars. But that’s never going to happen. Lately he and Colbert have been two of the only people engaged in any sort of intelligent satire/discourse when it comes to American media/politics and the AMPAS would much rather go with the very safe choices of people like DeGeneres, or this year’s rather bland picks of Franco and Hathaway.

Not surprising, pretty much all major awards shows have no respect for comedy whatsoever. Strange seeing as they always hire comedians to host. But there’s a reason why the categories are split in the shows where any sort of comedy can take a top prize. Because it’s generally thought that if something can make you laugh or sing there’s no way it could ever be as powerful as something that made you cry or “think.”

To that I give you the old adage, “Dying is easy. Comedy’s hard.” with the addendum “So are memorable lyrics.”

Wow. Sorry if that looked very slap-dash. I’ve just woken up.

happy to see TS3 winning, but definitely Inception was robbed :angry: