Happy Feet Two

While it’s got my attention, I have YET to watch Paulie. They don’t have it at the location where I work, but now that I’m on summer vacation, I can drive out a little ways to go to where I was trained. I’ll let you know when I watch it :smiley:

Same here. I think that because it came out in the shadow of it all, we were just tired of hearing environment-this and environment-that. Then again, this is from what I remember, I think I was roughly in the 7th-8th-9th grade when this was a huge deal.

And again, I can’t really make that much of comment on the movie itself (yet) as I haven’t sat through the entire thing. I’ll try to watch it with as much of a non-biased opinion as I can and see how it plays out. A thing I distinctly remember from the parts I’ve seen is how adorably creepy it is. It’s real… but then it’s not… Always faked me out a little bit.

I will give it cred for that. I does get my kudos from that standpoint. Any movie that can move everyone like Happy Feet did, in a positive or negative way, has props. It was a hit or miss, and I wonder if everyone watched it again of what they would think, knowing what they’re going to go see now.

I think something that differs hugely from those who dislike it to yours is that you could see the story when everyone else is focusing on the “save the environment” message. Call me crazy, but I think that’s the situation here. I’ll probably enjoy the movie from a story standpoint, but still disagree with the message being shoved. Then again, I still need to watch it, so I’ll get back to you on that. :laughing:

It’s not that I don’t like the message they’re trying to get across. It’s just that the movie was WAY too long. It just droned on and on and on. When I watched it for the first time, I was like, “Is this movie ever gonna end?” If it was shorter, okay, fine. But it just was overstretched to the point of no return.

I like 1st one. not sure if I wanna see a sequel.

More sequels to more movies I dislike…at least Pixar has only planned sequels to movies I have enjoyed…so far…

I liked the first one(when i got up the guts to finish it, which took me about 6 watchings). I liked it, and even found the end a little sweet and moving(sorry, guys). However, not sure how I feel about a sequel. But, I could say the same for Cars, Despicable Me, and Kung Fu Panda, so I’ll give this one a chance, too.

Well, yeah, I understand. That’s your opinion. But you mentioned in the ‘Acusations about Cars being weakest Pixar flim’ thread that you are irked by people who say Cars 2 is terrible when they haven’t seen it yet. Perhaps it would be nice if you applied that same open-minded attitude to this sequel as well? Just because you didn’t like the first, doesn’t mean you won’t like the second, ya know?

I’m glad that you’re keeping a balanced mind, IV. It really surprises me how most of the comments here are quite dismissive of this sequel (I’m not angry or anything, I respect people’s opinions, it’s just that yeah, I’m a little surprised how few positive comments there are). I mean, yeah, I also criticise other upcoming movies like Cars 2, but I base my opinions on the trailers and promos.

But I understand that is quite difficult to tell much from this cryptic teaser. I believe, though, that we shouldn’t base the success of a sequel on how well we liked its predecessor.

That would be like saying I think Cars 2 is gonna suck because I didn’t like Cars (I like Cars actually, I’m just giving an example). Or saying I think Kung Fu Panda 2 is gonna be awesome because I liked the first one (I also like KFP, but when I go see KFP2 today, I’m going in with a ‘blank slate’).

I think I’ll give this movie a chance. The first one looked cute. And it was a shocker at the Oscars. THis means they gotta step it up for this movie.

I liked the first one, even though it went on for a bit too long, the animation was gorgeous albeit a bit… uncanny-valley-ish. But Animal Logic deserves a second chance, I loved Legend of the Guardians.

Honestly, I’ll admit I do usually base my interest in a sequel on the original. Almost always. but, it usually doesn’t affect my feeling on the sequel after seeing it. :stuck_out_tongue: Case in point: almost all Disney sequels, Toy Story 3, Shrek 3. I can’t think of any reverse examples, where I hated the original and liked the sequel. :stuck_out_tongue: Sad. But anyway, I’ll try to rent this when it comes out, if only because I can only see 2-3 movies a year and can’t afford to squeeze this one between DW and Pixar. But, I might get the DVd after the rental. :smiley: You never know. I saw the original at a friend’s house, then on TV.

I have a love/hate relationship with the first one.
Comming home after my second viewing with my mom I had a HUGE panic attack that set me back and I was sick as a dog for months…So of course I associate all that with the movie, when I know it had nothing to do with it.
I did like it cuz it was adorable. I loved the concept of singing and seronading your mate…would be better if cats did it but Im one of those crazy cat ladies…only a dude :laughing:

I’d have to see more on this to see if I’ll wanna see it.
Trailer was cute up until the elephant seal ruined it…made it TOO comical…

Newest trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=Ht7shGnqOTg

Ugh. The first movie tricked me out of 18$ of my hard earned cash to watch a 90 minute environazi commercial. And this one…looks like nothing more than a money grab riding on the insane and unbelievable popularity of said first. And for whatever reason, the elephant seal annoys me. It could be that this is just a bad trailer. But I doubt it.

Will not be seeing this one at all. Not even rental. Even though the cg looks incredible and even better than the first.

I agree. I didn’t like the first one at all, mainly because of the whole environmental message. And I have absolutely nothing against helping the world, in fact I say go for it! But I didn’t really want to have it preached to me. I hate when things are preachy, it just bugs me. So I probably won’t see this unless my friends decide to go or something :smiley:

When I went to see Pooh, they showed this trailer three times. It was hard enough to make it through those couple of minutes without throwing something at the seal. I’ll be sitting this one out. Not even sure what they could do with a sequel, anyway, that would make it worth seeing.

Really? They showed it 3 times at my theater, too! :open_mouth: The trailer creeps me out a bit, but I plan on renting the movie just to see.

Seriously? I thought it was just a glitch or something. It’s an epidemic! Or maybe they’re just lacking in trailers for new animated films right about now. Come to think of it, besides Happy Feet Two, there aren’t that many coming out before the end of the year.

Now has guilt: Wow, whoever was doing the trailer reels must be some uber-fan or something! :stuck_out_tongue:

It really is interesting to read comments from some of you experiencing ‘cognitive dissonance’ with the first movie. On a personal level, I was a bit thrown by the environmental message at the end, but the characters and the plot made it up for me. The only thing that concerns me about the sequel is that it may be a rehash of the first movie’s themes - misfit loser has to discover his hidden talent, great forces conspiring against Nature (probably some oil tycoon who wants to set up drilling rigs in the Antarctic or something)… we’ve already seen that in the first movie.

BUT I don’t think we should let our experience of the first movie determine how we feel about its sequel. We should judge a film on its own merits, and while this is a continuation of the first movie’s plot, we won’t know whether it will be better or worse than its predecessor. Of course, if you really hated the characters, it’s unlikely that’s gonna change for the returning ones in the sequel. But I’m keeping an open mind for the newcomers, and I’m not really bothered by left-wing propaganda, so I’m gonna give this underdog a chance (It’s made by an Australian studio that created my favourite animated movie of last year).

Here’s the teaser poster. Not really a remarkable composition, although I’ll admit it’s a little difficult to make the Antarctic tundra look exciting. Interesting ‘tilt perspective’, and I really like the ominous evening clouds compared to the first movie’s bright and cheery blue skies. It seems the ‘SexyBack’ and ‘Mama Said Knock You Out’ babies may be Eric’s sidekicks… there’s Ramone, and what looks like Lovelace wearing a colourful sweater behind him (or could it be a new character?), Mumble, and finally a puffin flying behind him.

And I’m a sucker for witty taglines, so I totally dig this one!

Interesting roll call too… I’m looking forward to Hank Azaria (of Simpsons fame), P!nk (taking over Brittany Murphy’s role), Matt Damon, Common, and the lovely Sofia Vergara. The rest of the celebrity voices look set to reprise their respective roles from the first movie.

And here’s the 2nd teaser (I know it’s already posted above, but here’s the link to the Apple Trailer version).

trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/happyfeettwo/

Some repeat scenes from the first teaser, with even the logo card’s lines redubbed. It also seems to be a retread of the first movie’s misfit-who-doesn’t-belong theme (there’s one shot that of Eric hiding in the ice crevice that looks exactly like Mumble’s scene in the first movie), and the ‘trailer storytelling’ is all over the place. The saving grace has to be Ramone’s line at the end in reply to Carmen, his love interest. Good ol’ Rob, knew I could count on you to gimme a chuckle.

I’m a little disappointed by the 2nd teaser, but I guess it’s decent for creating awareness and arousing our curiousity. I’m holding out that a meatier full-length trailer will be released closer to the theatrical bow so that we can have a better idea of the greater ‘world is shaken by powerful forces’ plot hinted at in the synopsis.

What are your thoughts on the poster and the 2nd teaser?

…okay, there’s a puffin. I GIVE IN.

Nah, seriously, that second trailer should be shown more. After seeing the first teaser in front of several other films, and the three showings of it today, I honestly thought the sequel was just some random dancing penguins in the same place as the original and it really had nothing else to do with the first Happy Feet, which I enjoyed. I didn’t realize that the other characters were coming back. I’ll definitely give this a shot now. Thanks, driveintheatre!

I’ve never heard of the same trailer being played three times before a movie!

I never checked Happy Feet out. It was avaibale on a plane to watch but after the first few minutes I thought it wasn’t that good and that is how I saw cars (on an airplane ues going from England to Michigan)

I didn’t realize Frodo (Elijah Wood) was the star. I might actually give this movie a chance.

Im sad that Robin William’s name is’nt on the poster…
I had to laugh thou that they had to put Pink under her real name. A lot of stars with nick names keep them in the credits, like Will I Am and Xzibit.

I may give this a chance…not sure yet.

Race: If you wanna hear more of Elija Wood’s voice acting check out 9.