History

Well, I know we won’t learn about American hstory in my school. This school year is almost over and we’re talking about the Industrial Revolution in Germany. Next year it will be WWII and the aftermath, again. But I’m thinking of getting books on that subject, as well as looking through the Internet for facts.

We’re a pretty young country, but boy, we have been through quite a lot since our nation’s birth.

That’s for sure! I love the Civil War period as well, TSS. I use to do Civil War Reanactments, and I’m currently reading about book about General Robert E. Lee.

I’ve also been studing a lot of Constitutional period in US history. It was a lot of hard work, and wasn’t perfect. But we’ve got to give the Founding fathers credit for creating the world’s oldest constitution that’s still in use and survived threw a Civil War among other troubling times in history.

I remembered during community college, we dedicated a whole two months (out of the 5 month semester) to colonialism and constituionalism, not to mention revolution. Probably the most significant events of America’s history. Papers upon papers to write, read, and research. It was tough, but fun in the end.

That sonds so fun! We barely scratched the surface of that period in my US History class at my CC. Just my luck, :unamused: . But anyway, I love to read and research the period, but it does sound difficult to be graded on it! Do you have a certain founder who’s your favorite?

My favorite founder? You mean founding father? Well, I like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Adams.

Those are great choices! Mine shouldn’t be a suprise to many of you, because I’ve mentioned it a few times! 8D Well, too many times!

Yeah, you’ve mentioned it quite alot. :wink:

lolz, I’m such a nerd like that! Hence the sig. 8D

Nothing wrong with being a history nerd. Most of my friends were crazy about it. Then again, I always felt the stupid one of the bunch. BUt it was always nice to hear their analysis.

My friends are history nerds too. One of them got me to do Civil War Reanactments, that was loads of fun, but a hobby that got to expensive so I had to stop doing them.

Civil War reenactments sound like a lot of fun. I wish I could’ve done something like that. I had a lot of opportunities back during my schooling years, but I turned them all down.

You did? If you don’t mind me asking, why’d you turn them down?

Yeah, my character was Susannah, and I was part of the Sanitery Comission. So I didn’t participate in battles, but I hung around the camp sites and talked history with the tourists.

In the future, I hope to continue with Civil War reanactments, or even better- American Revolution reanactments!

I turned them down because I was busy with school and were more focued on other things EJE.

That makes sense!

Anyone here fans of the John Adams miniseries? I love it, I recently bought the 3 disc DVD set, so worth it! The series contains 7 hour long episodes, about Adams’ life. It’s produced by Tom Hanks and won 13 Emmy Awards, I defintely reccomend it.

Ah yes, history. A favorite subject of mine; I am after all studying to get my major in Persian history!

Picked up a few books recently. I got all the volumes of the Cambridge History of Persia.Lovely book. Asimov’s book on Rome was a great read as well. More WW2 oriented, I’ve gotten A world at Arms by Einhard. He pushes the Western Moral superiority a little too far at points but his actual history is brilliant, and the way he faces off the ‘stab in the back’ myth and those who claim that WW1 and WW1 were the same war are great.

Also, did anyone get the WW1 book of Horrible Histories? The names escapes me but its a great little book. Sometimes reading about dates and facts gets tiring and I need to read it to understand what an ordinary soldier went through.

And anyone interested in American history needs to pick up a copy of Enduring Vision.It’s a hefty read, but very well worth it.

I haven’t met too many people interested in Persian history, that’s very awesome how intereted you are in it!

And you’ve got my interest with that Enduring Vision book! Do you have details about it/

it is a book around 400 pages long, but it has a lot of visuals which keep it interesting. It tracks American history from its very beginnings when the native Americans crossed the Bering bridge to now. It also has a small ‘look into life’ page in every chapter where they look at a certain town during the period and talk about how the people felt in it. For example, on the postwar chapter there’s a page on the Detroit Race riots.

I’m dying to go to the East part of the USA. Partly because I inherited some stuff from my family of history nuts. :stuck_out_tongue: But also because there’s nothing very historic anywhere near where I live.

Wow! That sounds like my type of thing! I love books that have ‘look into life’ type things. I like to see how the average person felt and went through in their time, it is a emotional way to look into history.

Yay! Another history nut! New Mexico, right? I actually was watching a documentery yesterday about Billy the Kid and his adventures there. Also there must be some pretty cool Native American sites around!

But I know what you mean. Coming from California, things are a lot younger than on the east coast. That’s one reason I love New York so much. Just think of all the history there is on Broadway. We know it now as the theatre district. But it use to be an old Native American trail. And then during the Revolution, General Washington uesd Broadway to evacuate his troops from the City.

I really want to explore the East more indepth, especially Virginia!