Is Al a villain?

Nah i don’t think he was a villian he was just a guy who like most people wanted to make money out of selling old toys (i would have one the same) :wink:

True. You fall to pretty desperate measures when you make a living in a chicken suit :laughing:

Al looked more despicable than evil to me. He is a villain from toys’ point of view, but in fact he is a greedy man who isn’t above playing dirty when it comes to Roundup Gang collection. Although stealing something sure doesn’t make you good.

I wouldn’t say he’s villainous. Just, morally challenged. He’s did steal Woody afterall! He’s over 40, he should know better! :slight_smile:

Maybe to the characters he was a villain. But to me he was merely a guy who wanted something and was willing to go lengths to get it, no malice or anything. Stinky Pete was easily the main villain.

He’s not really evil just greedy, kinda like Mr. Krabs.

He’s not a villain, in any way. What he did was morally wrong, but that’s not enough.

But he’s definitely one of the main antagonists (the main, until the very end), as he opposes to the heroes’ goals.

Of course we know even a good person can be an antagonist in a film.

Pixarfan: Haha, yes. He does remind me of Mr. Krabs a little.

Yeah, Mr. Krabs is not “evil”, it’s just his greed get’s the better of him.

Think also in P.T. Flea. He’s not evil, but greedy, and that makes him an antagonist.

Al a villian? No way, Jose. He’s just a dirty, greedy man who falls asleep in front of the TV with a bowl of cheese puffs. He is also lazy, complaining about having to drive all the way to work on a Saturday, when his job is right across the street from his apartment. He also cheats to get his way. But in no sense or form can he called a villian. Dislikable, yes, but not worthy of that aspect.

And guys, you are forgetting that greed does not necessarily make someone a villian. Al does not qualify. His greed does not make him do evil things, at least not more evil than lying and stealing, the former of which most people do often and the latter which we only witness him doing once, and have no proof of him ever having done before except that Jessie was in a donation box, but if the box is on the side of the road…ANYONE would take it.

And if you’ve ever watched Jackie Chan Adventures, the character Valmont disappears for several seasons. Then in the fourth season he returns, but all he is is greedy. However, he’s so pathetic that there is no way anyone can call him a villian anymore. Same with Al. His greed is not a villian’s greed. I do not this Mr. Krabs, but I’m sure his greed is a villian’s greed.

If Mr. Krabs was a villain, wouldn’t that make Plankton the good guy?

That’s a good point. To Mr. Krabs, Plankton is the villian. To Plankton, Mr. Krabs is the villian. This relationship is common in many animated movies. Many Pixar movies have this sort of relationship as well.

He wasn’t really a villain, as much as he was a crazy chicken man. I mean, if I saw something really valuable like Woody, I’d probably offer through the roof for it, but I wouldn’t steal it. Especially from a little kid. I mean, who does that?

I’m loving all these other cartoon connections (Spongebob, Jackie Chan).

And with the whole donation box thing, it was probably just put in a thrift store, like the Salvation Army or Goodwill. That’s where Al probably found her, seeing as there’s a good potential for collectibles to be found there.

This says a lot about Emily’s character. Was she in such a rush to get rid of Jessie that she couldn’t drop off the box in an actual store?

Hmm, we perhaps that was the only drop off box. But if she lived in town it’d be easier to rush and do the drop off at the store, instead of driving out to the country.

Yeah, that probably explains how she came from a rural area and ended up in an urban area.

I agree with what everyone is saying. Al might be a villian to the toys because he kidnapped Woody but he’s really just a greedy toy collector anxious to complete his collection.

I found an earlier post I had written about this very subject in another thread: “…it can’t very well be said that stealing Woody was villianous because of how it affected Andy, because Al wasn’t privy to how important Woody was to Andy. Now, if he knew that and still stole Woody, that would be different.