Is there any hope for a Cars 3?

I think showing that would be too much of a repetition of the first one.

I was very thankfully when the sequel didn’t so that and instead gave a spin to the things.

I don’t know what you guys are saying. Sequels obvously can’t go on forever, but my son and all of his friends honestly love Cars and Toy Story above all the other Pixar movies. . . . with Cars being in the top spot. I thought both Cars movies were great and so did he. He still asks to watch one of the two at least twice a week. He constantly asks if we can buy the new Cars movie. To which I answer that there is no new one. Kids don’t think about all of the silly things that half of the people on this site think about. They don’t care how the story continues from the last, what happened between the two movies, the romantic relationships between characters. They love Lightening and Mater, getting a kick out of the comedic interactions and racing most of all. My son would absolutely love it if a Cars 3 was released and I would be there to take him to see it and buy the movie when it came out. Cheers to thinking like a kid. . . . with more simplicity.

I also wanted to add that critics don’t determine my movie choices in the least and that I thought Cars was much better than Wall-E for the kids (even though Wall-E was favored by the critics). Though I enjoyed and understood it. My son didn’t care for it because there was barely any speaking and not too many exciting occurences. Well. . . critics are adults and again, they don’t seem to see it from a child’s point of view.

Or the other way around.

You’re thinking 100% like a parent, and I can respect that, but that’s not the only thing there is to Pixar films.

A big percentage of its public is composed by adults who enjoy their products because of their storytelling and technical craftsmanship. The people at Pixar not only are aware of this, but they also are their main promoters.

It’s nice that kids can think with simplicity, and all that you say, but (most people) eventually outgrown that and they begin to seek more.

Like you say, “Cars was much better than WALL-E for the kids”, but then again it’s obvious that kids weren’t the main concern of their creators, or they wouldn’t have made that film, or cast a 78 years old as the main character in UP, or address mature themes in most of their pictures.

There are some studios (mainly television) that make all their products thinking specifically in children, and that often generates bland pieces. Some other works use simplicity as their main feature and yet manage to have a certain quality (think Winnie the Pooh)

I think there’s a space for everything, but Pixar should remain doing what they do best. Overtly childish films aren’t their thing.

And, after all, adulthood lasts a lot longer than childhood.

It could happen given the dough the franchise reels in. I just don’t want Pixar to go down these paths again.

In this case, the merchandise gives more “dough” than the actual films (they in fact under-perform at the box office by Pixar’s standard)

They can expand the tie in products without making more pictures, if what they want is money.

Anyway, I’m sure the reason of another sequel (and of Cars 2) wouldn’t be financial but because of Lasseter’s love for the franchise. Not that I always trust his judgement (and I would hate seeing Cars 3 in production), but I think we should at least admit that the motivator is an honest one.

Cars 3??? I sure hope!!

To be honest I think a Cars 3 is highly unlikely due to the reception the second one got. And on top of that I think Pixar is also moving away from the sequel phase, because somethings telling me Monsters University will be the last “continuation” of any of their films for quite a while (I’m still pulling for an Incredibles sequel though!).

And I really don’t want to see a cars 3, I’m cool with the shorts going on but I definitely think it’s unecessary for another full length film. I feel the same way towards the Toy Story franchise as well.

Yes, there is hope for Cars 3, and as others have mentioned on this topic, DisneyToon Studios would be the perfect avenue for it. For evidence, look no further than TinkerBell and, by all indications, the upcoming Planes. TinkerBell is a very successful balance between quality and economy: John Lasseter as executive producer, Joel McNeely’s music, and Bradley Raymond (arguably DisneyToon’s best director) attached all make for a worthwhile movie at lower cost than Pixar features. Also, the merchandising tie-ins roll out fast and furious with ever-changing installment-specific themes, which fits into the Cars business model. TinkerBell for girls, Cars and Planes for boys…it makes good business sense.

As for story ideas…Speed Racer pointed the way decades ago with its varying episodes about “themed” races. There was an alpine race, a desert race, a demolition derby, a race through a volcano, a race through the jungle with pineapples, and an around-the-world race with different vehicles (speedboats, planes, snowcats) that incorporated each race car’s color scheme. Also, there was frequent overlapping international espionage with themes like friendship, family, loyalty, and heroism woven in. Literally dozens of variations came out of the central idea, and Cars sequels could easily do the same.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hu0VA0lCg-A

For just one example, Shiftwell and McMissile could involve McQueen and Mater in a spy assignment that requires McQueen to infiltrate a demolition derby, with Mater as his repair/support vehicle. The possibilities are many and varied. And think of all the die-cast models that could come out. How about a McQueen snowcat?

youtube.com/watch?v=wZhhhd63-AU

Despite not loving the second Cars (I’m not a big spy movie fan), I would love to see another Cars. My son will only sit still to watch the Cars movies, and wants to see them over and over again. He doesn’t really care which one I put on, but is fascinated by watching the talking cars in general. So, I would love to have another movie to break the monotony. I actually tend to watch the first one over and over as I prefer it to the second, and would rather repeat than watch a movie that doesn’t appeal to me much. It is actually one of the only movies of any type that my husband and I can watch over and over again without getting sick to death of it (we usually don’t agree on what movies are good). I also find new things almost every time I see it. They have done a good job of hiding little details into the movie that you don’t see upon the first time watching it, and that most kids will never catch on to- something for the parents. I think the movie is highly underrated. Parts of it are bordering on genius.
As for what the topic should be?
People are making it sound like it is impossible to have another story line, as if all have been exhausted, but really anything could happen. Just look at the hundreds of movies that have been made with people, and they still think of new things. :wink: Here they just need to replace the people with cars. Any combination of these cars could have any sort of adventure anywhere.
The younger kids don’t really care what they do, they just want to see their talking cars do things. They have fallen in love with the characters and want to see how they live. They really don’t care what critics think. Of course, it helps to appeal to the parents too because we also get stuck watching these movies over and over again too. Having a variety of Cars movies to watch with an obsessed son would really be welcome.
I didn’t think I would like the Cars movie at all. Cars and racing don’t interest me in the slightest, and I didn’t like the merchandising at all- until I actually had seen the movie, that is. It is now (surprisingly) my favorite Pixar film. Now that I really enjoy the Cars movie, I don’t mind buying my son Cars merchandising, and am actually constantly looking for it.

Considering the current tendency of the film industry, I think Disney would have to be mad if they don’t make a sequel to Cars (or Toy Story).
It is already confirmed we will see more Cars material than ever before. Pixar Canada was specifically set up to make more Cars (and Toy Story) shorts.
Even worse, Disney is releasing the full length film Planes, whose production was started even before Cars 2 was released, that will even be theatrically released in Europe, that is already confirmed to have a sequel, and behind which many other spin-offs are hiding !
It seems however that “they” are conscious of what effect a new Pixar-produced sequel would have, hence why Disney only is credited for Planes, and why Pixar only does shorts instead; nevertheless, everything imaginable to produce more without doing another Pixar feature film is done.
Nevertheless, as I said, in the current tendency of the industry, Disney would have to be crazy to not make a sequel… And it seems very realist for me that the actual sequel, a Cars 3, will come one day.

The franchise will lose even more prestige after this: [url]Disney Sets Cars Spinoff Planes for a Theatrical Release

They’ll release Planes theatrically.

… And half of the people will think it’s a Pixar film… :frowning:

I read it somewhere that there is hope for it! And i really want it :smiley:

I would not be against a Cars 3; I am not asking for one at the moment per se, but I’ll support one if I hear it’s coming out. I’ve come to love both movies. For those of you who wish not to see one, you may be in luck because the way I see it, there may not need to be one at this point. As it is so far, Pixar has taken the two most popular and arguably relatable characters from the series and given them each their own movie. People can relate to Lightning McQueen since we have our own idea of our future but it often changes, and for the better at that if we choose to let it happen. Mater, on the other hand, learns to be more aware of the real world’s surroundings but chooses to not let go of his inner innocence and childlike spirit. The other characters are also very memorable and likable in my opinion, but McQ and Mater stand out the most. So, it’s possible the whole Cars story has been told, or maybe not. It’s one of those things where you never know because their world is pretty much ours, only it’s a physical metaphor for our world.

I guess there might be one! John Lasseter posted on Twitter that they were making one last year. Unless of course either he was joking, or I’ve been reading the wrong Twitter account, but I don’t think I have been…Well, I’d be excited if it is true! I hope he directs it, though.

I’m not against a Cars sequel either. I think the world is rich with possibilities and the characters have potential to grow and develop, much like if an Incredibles sequel were to be considered, there are all sorts of cool characters and themes one can go with.

Of course, most Pixar fans would love to see more adventures of Bob and his family than Lightning and Co. But both have sequel potential in a sense, unlike say Ratatouille, which had a very definite conclusion (right down to the “Fin” at the end).

And naturally, I’m speaking from a biased point of view here, being a fan of the franchise and automobiles in general. :slight_smile:

Yeah, John said it so naturally that I wasn’t even sure how serious he was about it. I wasn’t even sure if it was the correct account or not. So maybe it’s coming, still exciting…

Don’t get me wrong, I would absolutely love another The Incredibles film. But…at least Brad Bird has been thinking about it! I would want him to direct it, and I think he would want to as well. I’m not against new directors in an old franchise (I thought Dan Scanlon was excellent and Lee Unkrich was great himself), but I know The Incredibles is an expertise subject matter that probably only Brad can truly excel at.

It seems Pixar has worried people (I mean mostly in other places) with their sequel slate. Really, though, I think Pixar is approaching this more like an excited little kid as opposed to a corporate executive. They were interested in making sequels before and Toy Story 2 was their only real shot, but it didn’t count in their Disney contract at the time (they extended it to 1 film, though), so there wasn’t a good reason to make more. However, since Disney bought Pixar, as long as they have a good story, they are happy to make them! And at least Ed Catmull made that responsible announcement that now, starting with Finding Dory, new Pixar sequels have to be their bonus film of the year, to make sure that they are still focusing on original films.

Is THAT how Ed described the sequels, as bonus films?

Cos’ that’s a very cool way to put it! :slight_smile: It’s like the Pixarians enjoy making movies so much that to make another one is a treat.

John Lasseter’s probably like:

"Okay, you guys, I know you’ve already had dessert. You can have another helping if you promise me you don’t complain about tummyaches afterwards.

“And make sure you wear bibs so as to not ruin your Hawaiian shirts.”

XD

Not being sarcastic, by the way. I honestly think this is a very positive way to look at things. Especially if you love your work, and take pride in what you do.

I’m actually not sure, I think that’s more of how I felt when I read what he said. But cool! Funny John Lasseter bit you came up with, by the way! 8D He has also said, “It’s like a toy you can wear. And what’s great about it is that you can spill something on it, and no one’s gonna notice!”.

Haha, oh man, that’s priceless! Where did you read/hear that?

This guy’s my hero, I tell ya. Whenever I next return to Hawaii, I’m definitely gonna buy more aloha shirts there, the ones they sell in Malaysia and Singapore tourist traps have colours that run easy. :slight_smile: