Just What I Needed

Do you think this story is good? It wasn’t so successful on other websites, so now I have the chance to see.

• Yes. It should have gotten more credit than it got.
  • No. Why did you put this sick idea in your brain!?

0 voters

This story did not so well on fanfiction and worse on deviantart. I want to see what it would be like here on pixar planet. Here we go!! Just to warn you, there is some minor violence and some bad language. I’ll block out the language. It’s just how I had originally written it

Lightning McQueen was on his way to see Doc Hudson aka, The Fabulous Hudson Hornet. Today was the day he was hoping to tell his crew chief how he really felt about him. How he looked at the doctor like a dad.

Lightning entered Doc’s place noticing the older man at his computer. He was trying to do some type of work Lightning guessed. “What’cha up to, Doc?”

“Doing some searching.”

Lightning took a second to see what Doc was searching up.

“Why are you looking up kids who were kidnapped?”

“Looking for my twins.”

“Oh. I didn’t know. I’m so sorry.”

“You really don’t need to feel bad about this. It couldn’t be stopped. I was in my coma after my big wreck, and my wife had just died after giving child birth.”

“That just makes me feel even sorrier for you.” Lightning leaned in towards Doc and gave him a hug.

“It’s nice to know someone cares.”

“You’re not too far alone. I can bet you all of the other kidnapped kids’ parents feel the same way.”

“You may be right.”

“Hey, I do have something I want to tell you, Doc.”

“Well, what is it?”

“I-” Lightning started, but he was soon interupted by someone else’s voice. Someone he didn’t ever want to see again.

“Lightning! There you are!” The man had an angry tone to his voice.

All of the sudden, Lightning’s bright blue eyes filled up with terror. He managed to stutter out, “Oh, h-hi, Dad.”

Doc noticed the look in Lightning’s eyes. He knew what that look meant. He had the same look in his eyes whenever his dad was beating him. When Doc was a kid, he would get beaten all of the time. It was no wonder Doc was as secluded from the outside world as he was. But now knowing that Lightning was going through the same things he did, he wanted this man out of the town. He didn’t want anyone harming Lightning. Then when he got a better look of him, he soon realized who it was. Making him want Lightning’s dad away from here even more.

“Cody McQueen. I had hoped the fact that Lightning had the same last name as you was a coincidence.” Doc’s voice was getting more and more tense as he spoke. “But I guess it wasn’t. You had to take out your anger and frustration on everyone you raced against. Especially me. And I don’t even want to know what you do to your own son.” Doc said, even though he already knew.

“I don’t do anything to him, I swear!”

‘Yeah right. He has to be beating up Lightning. There’s no other reason for the look of terror in his eyes. No one deserves this, especially not such a loving and caring kid like him. If anything happens to Lightning, I swear I will lock him up in jail and throw away the keys myself.’

Lightning had gained up a little confidence and tried to sound convincing about what he said. “He doesn’t do anything to me!”

But Doc could see through Lightning’s little game. He knew that he was lying, but there had to be a reason behind it. ‘It’s either that or be beaten, that’s for sure.’

“Why don’t you introduce me to your friends?” Cody asked. Actually, it sounded more like a command than a question.

“Sure.”

Lightning reluctantly followed his dad out of Doc’s place, not wanting to leave his crew chief. He knew he was safe with the doctor, but with his own dad, that little bit of comfort wasn’t there.

Lightning didn’t show his dad his friends, that’s for sure. For just as Lightning left the building, he knew that he wasn’t taken out to introduce his dad to everyone. That was the only good thing. His friends didn’t need to know his dad. But having the whole gang know Cody wasn’t as bad as what did happen.

Once he knew they were a safe distance from anyone who would catch him, Cody dragged Lightning along the ground until they reached the house. Once inside, Cody locked the door, and Lightning had already cowered into the corner. “How could you!?” Cody started. “You gave up the Piston Cup you @#&%ed no good waste of space!” He hit Lightning right on the cheek. “That was just a warning! If you don’t fire that @#&% crew chief of yours, it’ll be worse! You understand!?”

All Lightning could do was nod his head. He was cupping his cheek for the pain throbbing through it hurt so much, he could barely stand it.

His father got up and left, leaving Lightning wondering where he was going. When he finally decided to get up, he decided to let go of his cheek and examine it in the mirror. When he looked, Lightning saw that he had a bruise on it. A black and blue shiner that was a temporary reminder of just what can happen to him in a minor attack happened. Extremely minor.

He didn’t want to have to do this, but he had to tell Doc what was going on. He could tell by the way that he was speaking to Cody that he wouldn’t take this lightly, which would be a good thing. To have someone protect him for the first time in his life. Boy would that be a dream come true. Especially it being Doc the one watching out for him.

Lightning walked up to Doc’s place, and he knocked on the door.

“Come in!” Doc called from inside. One thing different from when Lightning first came into town about Doc was that now he let anyone into his place, as long as he liked them. The signs on his door were taken down, and the doors were also repainted, and not just because they needed it. He really was a different person. He wasn’t as serious anymore. He was actually a lot more carefree and fun to be around. You would have never guessed it, but he looked like and had the wisdom of older man, but had the personaltity of someone Lightning’s age. And guess who Doc had to thank for that.

Lightning entered the older man’s house. Actually, it felt more like a home than anything. He may be living in at the Cozy Cone, but over there would never have any of the touches of home. At Doc’s place, Lightning felt secure and protected. No matter what the temperature outside, Doc’s house felt perfect inside. The inside was welcoming and cozy. There would actually be nights where Lightning would be at Doc’s place after a hard day of practicing for a race and he’d fall asleep right on the couch or in the rocking chair. When Lightning would wake up, he’d find a blanket on top of him that wasn’t there before. Then Doc would always say, “You must have been really tired, Lightning. You fell asleep in here again. I’m gonna have to let you move in with me one of these days.” And that was something Lightning wouldn’t mind.

“Hey, Doc.”

“What is it, Lightning?” Doc was still on the computer looking for his twins.

“You know how I had backed up my dad saying that he doesn’t do anything to me.”

“Yeah.”

“I lied. If you need proof, just look at my face.”

Doc turned around and saw the bruise on Lightning’s face. He rushed over to Lightning in a flash.

“My dad beats me, Doc. He’s always had. And now he’s here to beat me up from me giving up the Piston Cup 4 months ago. I can’t go back out there! There’s no telling what he’ll do to me!” Lightning started to cry.

Doc just hugged Lightning. He needed care and love at the moment. It soothed Lightning to have his bruised cheek lie over Doc’s heart. The consoling sound of his steady heartbeat calmed Lightning down.

“I know exactly what you’re going through. I was abused as a child too.” Doc said. “You don’t have to worry. You’re safe here. If anything happens to you, I’ll be right here, enabling you to have a full recovery.”

‘If only you were my dad. You’re so loving and kind and understanding, nothing my dad ever was or will ever be. You’d help me through thick and thin, and I’d be able to count on you and trust you.’

“You can stay the night here, Lightning, for as long as you need to, okay.”

“Thanks, Doc.”

That night, instead of risking his life walking over to the Cozy Cone, he slept over at Doc’s. And for once, it actually wasn’t on the couch or in the rocking chair. Doc had told Lightning that he’d just sleep on the couch. At first, Lightning refused the offer and said he’d be just fine on the couch, but Doc insisted that Lightning slept in his bed. After all, he was hurt. He deserved something better than being in the living room.

Before Lightning was fully asleep, Doc had came in to check up on him. Thinking Lightning was completely sleeping, Doc came and kissed him on the forehead. “I love you, my son.” The second Doc left, Lightning couldn’t help but smile. He knew Doc saw him as his son, just like how Lightning saw Doc as his dad.

Whenever Lightning absolutely had to go anywhere, Doc would be there, making sure Cody didn’t get anywhere near the young racer. Doc didn’t want Lightning getting hurt anymore than he already had been. He personally knew from experience just what the pain was of being beaten. He didn’t want the kid he viewed as his son to be hurt ever again. And to do that, he had to keep Lightning away from his dad as much as possible. That was pretty easy for they usually weren’t out on their own. But there was just one little catch.

“Doc, what am I supposed to do tonight? Me and Sally are going out on a drive before we head to the drive-in. What happens if I run into my dad?”

“I’d recomend telling Sally to get out of there, maybe even ask her to get Sheriff up there. You’d just have to call me the second you see him. I’ll be on my way up the second I hear your voice. Okay?”

“I just wished that Sally didn’t have to take me out on a drive with my dad being here and all.”

“Don’t worry. You know I’ll look out for you, always. And if anything happens to you, I’ll be right there to help you through.”

“But what if my dad’s still there when you come?”

“Don’t worry about me. Just hope you can have your date free from your dad, all right.”

“Yeah.”

Lightning left Doc’s place reluctantly. As much as he loved going on drives with Sally, he loved being able to live more. Who wouldn’t?

“Hey Stickers. Ready for our drive?”

“Yeah. I’m ready.” Lightning said as convincingly as he could. He really didn’t need his girlfriend knowing that there was a chance he could be dying tonight.

They had made it up to the Wheel Well, and everything so far was going good. But then, Lightning noticed his dad was up there. “Oh no.”

“What’s wrong, Stickers?”

“Nothing, nothing. It’s just that my dad is here!”

“So?”

“He’ll hurt me!”

“Want me to go get Sheriff?”

“Yes, please.”

“What about you?”

“I’ve got it covered. Just go so Sheriff can catch him and you won’t get hurt.”

Sally took off in her 2002 911 Porsche, the only ride either of them had at the time. Sally and Lightning came up here in the same car. So Lightning couldn’t try to get away. Even if he made a run for it, Cody had a car, so he’d easily catch up to Lightning. There was no way out of it. He was going to get beaten up one way or another.

“Why did we have to go on a date tonight!?” Lightning asked himself while calling Doc.

“Hello?” the voice on the other end of the line said.

“Doc! I’m up at the Wheel Well. My dad’s here too. Sally’s gone off to get Sheriff.”

“I’m on my way!” Doc sounded more paniced than Lightning expected. Then it hit him. The scenic view. It may have been beautiful, but it was a drop-off that if you fell, well…

And Lightning knew he’d be pushed off the edge.

Doc, you better get here in time.

“I thought I told you to fire that @#&% crew chief of yours!”

“Dad, I can explain!”

“You were never any use. You were just a waste of space. I should have given up you and not your twin sister, Serena.”

“Wait, I have a twin sister!?”

“I’ve said too much.”

Cody started to beat Lightning up, then he noticed the drop-off.

Doc was speeding up the road, hoping that Lightning would get too hurt while he wasn’t there.

Cody dragged Lightning until the young racer was right on the edge, then dropped him, hanging there. “Help!” Lightning called out.

“By the time anyone comes to help you, it’ll be too late.”

Cody walked over to his aqua colored car and sped off in the direction that took him away from town.

Lightning looked down, and he had never been more frightened. He was so petrified, he started to cry.

Doc was almost to the Wheel Well when he heard Lightning’s call for help. It made him speed up even faster.

Lightning heard a car’s engine turn off up above him. ‘Please be Doc.’

“Lightning! Where are you!?” Doc was calling out for him. He sounded extremely paniced.

“I’m hanging off the edge!”

Doc noticed Lightning’s hands gripping the edge. He ran over to the edge, hoping that he could grab Lightning before it was too late.

Lightning needed help now. He was slipping off the edge.

Doc had just came to the edge. He noticed Lightning’s hands were losing grip.

Right then, Lightning couldn’t hold on anymore. He was falling…

Right when his hands had let go, Doc grabbed Lightning’s arms and started pulling him up. It was a close encounter with death for Lightning, but he had just barely survived it.

When Lightning was completely up, he just hugged Doc as a way of saying, ‘I was so scared of dying, and you saved me. Thank you!’ The whole time Lightning was hugging Doc, he was still crying from his near-death experience.

Just then, Sheriff had reached there. “What happened here!?”

“My dad beat me, then he tried to push me off the edge. He got away before any of you two got here.” Lightning explained.

“If he gets anywhere near here again, he’s gonna be kicked out on his ass for what he’s done to you, McQueen.” Sheriff said.

Doc was too busy holding the kid who he wanted to be his son so badly to really say anything. He noticed the fact Lightning’s clothes weren’t just torn and dirty, but also bloody from the beating. ‘I should have never let Lightning go out on this drive. I should have told Sally about this too. Why must I always act before I think it through!?’

He just sat there holding Lightning in his arms until the young racecar driver was ready to head back home.

“Can I head home tonight? I don’t really want to be out and about after what just happened.” Lightning said.

“Sure. I’ll tell Sally about it so she won’t think you stood her up.” Doc said.

Lightning walked over to Doc’s 1951 Hudson Hornet and got in the passenger seat.

Sheriff was walking over to Doc. “Look, I know you see Lightning as a son. I think it would be a good idea to, well, adopt him.”

“He’s 21. He’s over the age limit for adoption.”

“You could get Sally to get the papers. You know just how convincing she can be.”

“Yeah. If it weren’t for her convincing me making Lightning fix the road was a good thing, I wouldn’t have ever really changed. That kid is one in a million, and I do see him as a son. But I’d just wait a little bit on those papers. I think I’d want to do that for his birthday next month.”

“You know, that kid’s got the same birthday as you.”

“Really?”

“Yep. April 17.”

“I knew it was in April, but I didn’t know he was born on the same day as me and my twins.”

“I really do feel sorry for you, Doc. You never knew who they were.”

“All I can guess is they probably took after their mother with her blonde hair and bright blue eyes.”

“Just like Lightning.”

“Yeah. Just like him. Sheriff, do you think?”

“I don’t know. But the only way to find out for sure is if you ask him about a twin sibling.”

“That’s true.”

As Doc was driving down the street, he kept on thinking about what him and Sheriff were talking about. ‘Could it be true? Could Lightning actually be one of my two kids? Please be so. Please be so!’

Lightning started getting drowsy and he soon fell asleep, his head on Doc’s lap. Doc looked down at the young racer laying down on his lap. He couldn’t help but smile. Yep, he was certain that if Lightning wasn’t one of his two kids, that he would adopt Lightning. That’s just how much he loved the kid.

“My ankle! It hurts!” Lightning said as he was getting out of the car.

“Did it hurt before?”

“When I was walking to your car earlier. It must just be when I put pressure on it.”

“Let me help you in. I’ll take a look at that ankle.”

When Doc was done looking at it, he said, “Yep, it got sprained from when your dad beat you.”

“That means I can’t be in this week’s race!”

“You’re so far ahead in points, one little race isn’t gonna do anything kid.”

“You don’t understand! I have to be at that race on the race track or there’s no telling what he’ll do to me! He’s the reason I’m even racing in the first place.”

“What do ya mean?”

“I never wanted to be a racecar driver. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy racing, it’s just that I never wanted to do it professionally. Whenever I said I was dreaming of the being the first rookie to win the Piston Cup, I lied. I couldn’t say that I have to win or my dad would beat me! That wouldn’t sound right!”

“Then what was up with the cocky, selfish attitude?”

“I had just lost myself trying to live a lie. Coming here reminded me of who I really was.”

“Just out of curiosity, what did you want to be?”

“A singer.”

“Can you sing?”

“Of course! I had been in the school’s talent shows since kindergarten, I was in 6th grade, junior high, and senior high choruses, in the pop choir in all of the years I was old enough too, and always snagged the male lead in all of the musicals.”

“That’s a lot of experience there, hot shot.”

“My dad never approved. Always the day after my shows I would fake going to school. I lived in a neighborhood where I could walk to school, and my dad always made me suck it up and go. I would walk in the direction of the school, then head off for the old, abandoned tree house out in the woods. In fact, that tree house was completely restored in all of my time there. I wonder if everything’s still in there or if someone’s cleaned it all out.”

“You know, now that I think about it, you don’t look like your dad.”

“I take after my mother with my blonde hair and blue eyes. But I was kidnapped when I was just born. Apparently, I just found out I have a twin sister somewhere. My dad let it slip out.”

“Lightning.”

“Yeah.”

“Do you have anything that shows who your dad is?”

“Let me see if I still have it.” Lightning of course had to walk to his stuff on crutches due to his sprained ankle. When he came back, he had a picture.

“It’s extremely blurry since my dad decided to soak it in water before he gave the article clipping to me. It was an article mentioning him looking for me. He didn’t want me to find out who it was and run away.”

Doc examined the picture. It sure was blurry. He couldn’t make anything out. But he had a pretty good idea on who was on the picture.

“I think I can unblur the picture on my computer. But I may have an idea already on who it is.”

“Who? Who!?”

“Let me just unblur this to be sure first!”

“Ah, man!”

“You’ll just have to wait.” Doc found it kinda fun to torture Lightning with this.

“All right!”

That night, Lightning was sleeping in Doc’s bed again. He had really became accustomed to living there. In fact, he said had basically lived there and had told Sally to give his cone to someone else who needed it. Doc had entered the room. He had just finished unblurring the picture on his laptop, and was carrying it in to the room to show Lightning who his dad was. “Lightning. Wake up.”

Lightning woke up and noticed Doc standing there with a laptop in his hands. “Did you find my dad!?”

“I sure did. Now, I can tell you, or I’ll just show you the unblurred picture. What would you rather have?”

“You telling me. I may not know who’s on the picture.”

“You would know who it was.”

“It’s actually someone I know!”

“Yep.”

“Who!? I’ve been waiting for this answer since I found out I was kidnapped!”

Doc paused for dramatic effect. He held the computer to open it so Lightning could have some proof. “It’s me!” He said while opening the computer.

“I-I-I-I can’t believe this!” Lightning started tearing up. Despite the fact it hurt his ankle, he jumped out of bed and ran over to hug him. “All this time I’ve looked at you like a dad, and you are my dad!”

Doc had tears in his eyes too. “I’ve been looking for you and I can’t believe this whole time, you were right here!” Doc wrapped his arms around Lightning, holding his long lost son in his arms. “Now that I’ve found you, I’m never letting you go.”

“I love you, Dad.”

Doc couldn’t help but smile at that. He had wanted someone to call him Dad for so long, and know he has his son. “I love you too, Lightning.”

Lightning had never felt happier or more comforted in his whole life. He never wanted this moment to end. He had just found out who his dad was, and his old dad, Cody, was never gonna try to break them up. No matter what, he’d never hurt Lightning again. Just in his dad’s arms felt like he could be able to be free. To do whatever he wanted to with no worries. He knew he was truely loved and cared for. Never in his life did he feel so protected, so happy, so comfortable. He even fell asleep right there in his dad’s arms.

Doc tried to put Lightning into bed, but when he tried to let go, he realized that Lightning was holding onto him too tight. He just decided to lay in bed with him. Why would it matter? Lightning was his son, and he never wanted to leave him. He had missed out on 21 years of his son’s life, so Doc had to be there until he died.

The next day, Lightning and Doc walked into town, and they announced the big news.

“Last night, my life took a turn for the worst, then it completely flipped the other way around. Most of you may have heard about my close encounter with death last night, but you guys don’t know the best part of my night. I found out who my real dad is.”

“Wait, that man wasn’t your real dad.” Sally said.

“Yep, he kidnapped me from my dad 21 years ago.”

“Wait, that sounds a little like Doc’s story.” Flo pointed out.

“That’s because he is my dad.”

No one could believe it. They had all of the similarities that should have given it away, but they never put two and two together.

“I think you two need a family picture!” Sally said. She took out her camera and took a picture of the father and son. They were smiling the biggest smiles they ever had on their faces before. There was a right to be smiling so big. They had finally found each other.

So beautiful!!! Hope you like it! I’ll try to post my other fanfiction story (which has been very successful) tomorrow. Of course I’ll have to edit it also. :frowning: Yippie!

Hmmm…i like the idea but the storyline with the “dad” makes the story rather upseting.

I could see why it didn’t do so well. You do a good job at bringing out emotions but some moments were really cheesy and the “dad” seemed like punishment without reason through the entire story. If you were to make a full story novel off of this you might want to envelope McQueens past and the problems that he went through. Then his “dad” issue would make more sense. You would also need to work on the emotion scenes to make them more genuine…

Other then that the entire story wasn’t bad.

Review 6/10

Al-Bob, thank you for that review. I can understand what you mean about maybe explaining Lightning’s past a bit more. I’m writing a new one that’s got a similar vibe but way more to it. It would help though if you told me which scenes had the cheesy emotions so I don’t make the same mistake twice. I can’t learn from it if I don’t know what to learn from. Understand? The whole thing with Cody, Lightning’s “dad”, is he is someone who is agressive and violent. He really was punishing Lightning for blowing the Piston Cup and not getting Dinoco. I gotta admit, at the time that I wrote this, I thought it was my best work. But that was two months ago. My writing gets better with every chapter I write so I can understand it’s no longer my best. This new story which I won’t forget to place on here is. Hopefully you will think so too.

Good…you see the problems easily. I see what you mean about writing becomes easier and easier. It does to me too.

Sounds like you perfectly understand the problems with it…the only emotional problems that i found was the physical contact between Doc and Lightning…for some that might be really good but for me the image of cars doing that seems rather weird.

All of the worded emotions were good although some were very short and too the point. The only problems was probably the movements, touches, and comforting. they just seemed a little too fondly. It made me start to wonder a little to quickly.

Now that i go over it it seems better then before…

Maybe I could have specified that I wrote this story humanized. It’s a way of writing Cars stories in which the characters are actually humans instead of cars. It’s easier for me to write. Maybe that might help with the whole physical contact problem you have.

That might help…yes now i see the whole sprained ankle incident.

That would definitely clear up some confusion.