Michael and James: Energy Harvesters!!

OWP: Very glad you loved it! I just love inserting Star Wars whenever it’s convenient and would make a great connection between characters, events, and the like. The MU thing was actually a piece of trivia written on the Pixar Wikia, mentioning how Hardscrabble comment explains Boo’s crying at Sulley’s roar; she was never afraid of him, because she’s afraid of reptilian/snake-like monsters, and that’s what makes her scream.

Whew! After a while, Chapter Ten has arrived!!! And this one is going to blow you away with some shocking revelations; one of which you will need to remember for a future chapter (I will mention what it is in the end notes after this chapter.

Chapter Ten: Snowbound

“It’s so…cold…”

Michael opened his visible eye slowly, only to realize that he was laying on snow, and was one foot deep in it. He also realized that James was piled right on top of him. The smaller man put his hand to the larger one’s chest, trying to push him off gently.

“Sulley, wake up!” Michael exclaimed.

James managed to stand up on his feet, and helped his friend to get up from the snow as well. The two found themselves dressed in winter clothing with fur boots and mittens, and their bodies were enrobed by velour cloaks in green and purple-spotted blue, respectively, with silver crescent clasps at the neck. They put their hoods on as they took their suitcases, and found the metal doorframe. James opened it, but there was nothing; it was just a door in the middle of nowhere.

“We have to save her,” James told himself, “We just have to.”

“Well, we can’t, can we?” Michael remarked, “Look what we got ourselves into! And I’ve got this deep gash in my leg; and no first aid to treat it.”

At that moment, a shadowy figure appeared, larger and more imposing than even James himself in his beast form. The figure revealed itself to be an immense beast covered in white, fleecy fur, greeting with, “Welcome to the Himalayas!”

“Huh?” Michael and James were confused.

“It’s me, the Abominable Snowman, don’t you remember?” the beast asked.

Michael and James looked at each other confused, until something clicked in their minds and they exclaimed, “Yes! We were in the mailroom together, and—weren’t you murdered?”

“Murdered?” the Abominable Snowman was baffled as he morphed into a human form, “Oh no.”

“Yeah, because I remember you were our dispatch manager once,” Michael commented, “Before Mrs. Paperwork took over.”

“I was,” the Abominable Snowman answered, " Come, I’ll tell you what really happened."

Michael and James followed the white-haired man into a cave filled with hanging lanterns.

“You see, I had intercepted these strange blueprints, and then attempted to mail them to the CDA under a pseudonym,” the Abominable Snowman explained as he wrapped a bandage cloth over Michael’s right shin, “Unfortunately, Waternoose caught me, and apparently arranged for my secret banishment on charges of tampering with the mail system, and left a realistic dummy of me filled with strawberry syrup in the administrative office for Energy Floor F. He faked my death, and honestly, I don’t know if there was anyone else involved with the plot.”

“Whoa,” James was surprised by the revelation.

“I just wish it could be a little warmer in here,” Michael commented as he held out his mitten-covered hands to the light of a lantern.

“I know what could make this better!” the Abominable Snowman got up from the box he was seated on and picked up a tray.

“What are those?” asked James.

“Snow cones!” the Abominable Snowman answered excitedly, “Anyone want one? They’re lemon-flavored.”

“Why would anyone want snow cones in the freezing cold?!!” Michael was bewildered, “And this doesn’t look like a place where lemons grow—yeah, I’m totally passing.”

“Well, if that’s the case,” the Abominable Snowman started off, “I could always make some warm and piping hot chocolate muffins fresh from the oven—”

“Okay, now I just lost my appetite,” Michael scowled.

“Boo-chan must be in torment,” James whispered to himself, tears burning on his cheeks as he buried his face in the palms of his hands, Oh, child, I have failed you.

Back at M. Energy Incorporated, Mr. Waternoose walked swiftly down the hallways, with Randall following right behind and carrying Mariko in his arms. As they made their way through where the garbage disposal was located, Randall suddenly looked down at the girl, re-adjusting her wig.

“Mariko,” Randall whispered softly, “I promise you, you will not be hurt. I don’t know why Waternoose decided that you of all children would be the one to test out this project, but I can assure you, I will take you home as soon as we’re done. I scare because I care.”

Mariko looked up at him. Although this man was comforting her, she felt a slight sense of intimidation, especially when she caught sight of his shimmering emerald eyes and got a whiff of an intoxicating aroma; a lavender-moonflower-vanilla musk. Something about that seemed familiar in a scary way, yet at the same time she could not sense it too well, for she had not the slightest inkling that the man carrying and soothing her was also her closet monster.

“Here,” Randall reached into his pocket, “have something to munch on.”

Randall gave Mariko a packet of fruit twists, which she nibbled on contently.

“Just be a good girl for my boss,” Randall whispered, patting her wig as a tear rolled down his soft, velvety cheek, “I know you can, my child.”

Night fell upon the Himalayan snow-covered terrain as a light snowstorm blew outside the lantern-illuminated cave. James was hammering together pieces of wood, fashioning them into a sled. Michael stood there, his arms folded across his chest as he leaned against the icy wall of the cave.

“I really miss Celia,” began Michael, “She just broke up with me over what happened, but if she were here with me, right now, she would have healed the gash on my leg; I wouldn’t need to bandage it.”

“She has healing abilities?” James asked, still hammering the wood.

"Yes, Michael answered, “and she’s one of the few to have advanced healing abilities that allow her to revive someone within 12 hours of their death.”

“That’s nice to know,” James sighed.

“It sure is,” Michael sighed again, “and Sulley, what do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m going to look for a village,” James answered.

“There’s a snowstorm out there,” Michael reminded him, “Do you want to get yourself killed?”

“There’s no other way,” James started off, “I’m really worried, and I want to go save Boo-chan.”

“Well, you go on your own,” Michael responded, lacking enthusiasm, “I’m not gonna risk it; besides, I never really cared about her anyway.”

James paused for a moment, secretly in shock at his friend’s apathetic words. “I will do what I must,” he finally spoke.

James mounted on the sled, and thrusting his right foot back, set the sled in motion down the hill. In no time, he was speeding down the snowy hill, until a strong gust of wind blew by, knocking him off his course, and sending him tumbling into the snow; destroying the sled in the process. It seemed now, as if all hope was lost. James stood up, gently dusting off the snowflakes off his cloak, and gazing at the remains of the sled.

“I have truly failed you, Boo-chan,” James muttered to himself.

The gust began to slow down, which in turn led to the snow slowing down as it fell, making the view appear clearer. James looked up at the sky; an expansive dome filled with a confetti of stars, and even the nebula appeared in color, although faintly. The full moon shown down on the snow; its silver beams reflected on the crescent clasp on James’ cloak. That’s when something amazing happened. As James noticed the moon reflecting on his cloak clasp, that beam of moonlight was then redirected as he turned his head down from the sky and behold, a village was illuminated by the reflected light from his brooch.

“Boo-chan,” James told himself, “I’m coming to get you.”

James morphed into his beast form, got down on all fours, and with the force and speed of a cheetah, scampered down the snowy hill and roared in the process, just until he reached the village limits, when he morphed back into his human facade.

The village was brightly lit, as people in colorful coats wandered about, buying artisan beads and strange-looking wheels, idols, and talismans decorated some houses. James needed not care if he could not read the Tibetan scripts that adorned so many shops and street signs; he just needed to find a home where children lived. After scouting around a while, he saw a room where a mother was putting her son to bed, blowing out a candle as she left the room. As James looked on, his cloak clasp was illuminated by the moonlight again, and he sensed a wormhole link establishing within the premises. He closed his eyes, and an image of Charlie activating a portal for George formed in the back of his mind.

“Now’s my chance!” James whispered excitedly as he morphed again, slowly opening the window.

Over at M. Energy Incorporated, George returned from a Tibetan village home door, but as Charlie was about to send the portal up, James busted through the door, involuntarily flinging a sock at George’s bare back.

“2319! 2319!” Charlie cried out, until George grabbed him by his neck; his powerful monster hand crushing his Portal Summoner as he forcefully stuffed the sock in his mouth before finally flinging him through the door.

“Hey George!” James called out, “Nice to see you!”

“Oh, hey, Sullivan,” George greeted back as he sent the door up the zipline.

James sprinted right out the entrance to the Energy Floor, then took a right down the main hall.

Mr. Waternoose, Randall, and Mariko found themselves seated in the car of the Incan Empire-themed roller coaster again, with the voice announcing, “Please remain seated, and keep your arms, hands, legs, and feet inside the ride at all times,” as Randall slicked back his cowlicks. Once again, the ride shot fast on its twisting tracks through its Peruvian-influenced animal decor, with Mr. Waternoose putting his hands in the air, screaming “Yeaaahhh!!! Woooooo!!!”, Mariko clapping, and Randall keeping a stern expression on his face as he gripped the safety bar. The path culminated by swirling down the final vortex track, and launching them off to the floor, dressing them in lab coats in glasses. The pair ran past the ventilation pipes to where the Vocal Extract-O-Matic 2001 was located, with Jeffrey wearing a paper bag on his head now while seated at the control panel.

“You’re back, Masters!” Jeffrey greeted anxiously, “And you managed to capture the Avatar!”

Randall placed Mariko in the seat, clamping her hands down as he lowered the safety bar on her. He turned back to look at his boss, who was staring him down with a very unsettling glare.

“I hope that this machine works the way that I have envisioned it to do so,” Mr. Waternoose began, hanging his lab coat and goggles on the control panel, “I worry that since this is a prototype, any bugs in it may have the potential to kill her.”

“Oh no, Master,” Randall started off, letting his lab coat cascade off his back and to the floor as he cast off his goggles to the control panel, “You tasked me to create this device to harvest energy. For this machine to kill would defeat its very purpose, since the power source must remain alive and well to work properly. Plus, we have agreed to send her back home safely, right?”

“You are correct, Randall, my apprentice,” Mr. Waternoose grinned sinisterly, “It is such a shame, that to keep my energy-saving plan safe, I have had to banish my Top Energy Harvester.”

“Don’t worry,” Randall began, “With this machine, we have no need for Sullivan.”

“Bear in mind, however,” Mr. Waternoose looked at Randall, “Sullivan was twice the Energy Harvester you would ever be.”

Those words struck Randall in his ears as a knife would have stabbed his back. He turned his gaze back to Waternoose; his eyes widened in surfacing rage.

“Let me show you what an Energy Harvester really looks like,” Randall started off calm yet tense, “Fungus, join me!”

Randall and Jeffrey took each other’s hands, and raised their free arms to the ceiling, shouting “The Winds of Change sweep us in Dual Metamorphosis!”. In an instant, the background turned black, with searchlights waving and colorful purple and red polka dots orbiting around Randall and Jeffrey, whose bodies were now but glowing silhouettes.

“Yessssss…” Mr. Waternoose’s grin grew more disturbing, “I can feel your anger. Let the hate flow through youuuuuuu…”

Jeffrey shook nervously as his glowing red form spun around, and a spectrum of light rings swooped the length of his body. Randall, on the other hand, appeared as if he were doing a dance that looked like he was hula-hooping on his tip-toes as he repeatedly swept his cowlicks and ponytail. A light ring spectrum also swooped down the length of his form. At that moment, Jeffrey shrunk into an oversized red jelly bean, his legs turned into those like a chicken, fingers grew long and orange, the fin on the back of his head extended down his back, and his eyes multiplied into three. Randall was stretched out once more, with his limbs multiplying, tail appearing, and cowlicks becoming fronds as his brilliant scales covered him, all while dancing and making frequent usage of his hand movements.

Once the transformations finished, a scream almost escaped Mariko’s fragile little mouth at the sight of Randall, before he rushed up to her, raising a finger to her lips and saying “Shhh…”. He then swirled away from her, this time climbing back onto the machine, and posing on it. After his repetitive slithering and reclining on the machine, Randall got off, and hissed in Mariko’s ear; her heart racing with fear. He then wandered over to the control panel, and adjusted the knobs to lower settings.

“This should be safe enough for the testing,” Randall told himself, stirring a cup of tea with his lower hands and eating biscotti with his upper hands.

As the machine activated its extendable nozzle, Mr. Waternoose clasped his handed together as a sinister grin appeared on his face. Finally, he told himself, you may not be able to tell us in words what gift of light you bring us, Chosen One, but with this innovation, I shall have possession of it and save the factory. Lux Nova shall be mine!

Just as the nozzle was about to reach Mariko’s soft, pale lips, a giant polka-dotted fur beast jumped from the overhead railing, roaring loudly as he tightened his fists, landing on the machine and crushing it with all his strength in the process. The beast then morphed into James, who stood on top of the remains of the device, punching it once more before leaping off and releasing Mariko from the seat. The other two monsters reverted back to their humanoid form as well.

“Neko-chan!” Mariko exclaimed delightedly.

“Come on, Boo-chan!” James told her, “We have to go now!”

James ran off from the scene, with the toddler girl clinging on to him tightly. Mr. Waternoose grew angered as he put on a hooded black cloak, yet Randall remained surprisingly calm; his hands placed on his hips.

“Wipe them out,” Mr. Waternoose ordered, lightning crackling in his hands, “All of them. Except the girl; we need her alive.”

[i]Whoa! Talk about a rescue! James sure is powerful and strong.

Now, before I end this installment, if you read the part where Michael mentions Celia’s healing and revival abilities, DO NOT forget that at all! :shake: Hang onto it tightly; this will be important to Chapter Thirteen (which I have not even written yet, but I know what going to happen in Chapter Twelve that will lead to it NOT GONNA SPOIL IT NOW)

Other than that, hope you enjoyed it, and some battle action will begin in the next chapter![/i] :smiley:

Another awesome chapter! I really love the epic scale you’ve placed a lot of the action in, and Yeti’s backstory was a seriously great idea! Hugely looking forward to the next chapter!

OWP: Asa always, I’m happy that you love it. It is becoming more action-y, and I’m glad you like the twist with the Yeti. It came to me suddenly as a plot twist because I thought it would be cool if come to find out, he was their former dispatch manager but is still alive (and the CDA only thought he was murdered based on the evidence given by Fungus and the tape Roz watched).

And now, after a while, here’s Chapter Eleven.

AUTHOR WARNING!

This chapter will contain some intense combat violence, most of it invented for this adaptation. This is just a warning for younger readers under 13.

All right now. Showtime!

Chapter Eleven: Sullivan vs. Boggs (Round One)

Sprinting through the halls of the cooling pipes with the toddler girl in his arms, James stopped suddenly when he heard a bumping noise. He set Mariko down on the floor as he began to sniff the area around him, unaware of the yellow canister floating right behind him.

Unfortunately, it was too late once he felt the blow to his head.

“What in the world was that?” James stood up, confused by what just happened. That is when, as if out of nowhere, Randall appeared, casually slinking towards him as if nothing had happened…

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that, Sullivan,” Randall hissed in a deceivingly sweet tone; his jacket falling off as he un-tucked his dress shirt and loosened his tie, “I promised the boss that there would be no witnesses.”

A surge of fear rushed down James’ spine. Cautiously, he stepped back, with Mariko hiding behind a heating valve. Randall morphed into his creature form, re-appearing right behind James, twisting himself around him as a python would, and pulling him down to the ground.

“What’s gotten into him?!” James was baffled. Sure, Randall was irritable and short-tempered, but he’s never attacked the one person he hated most like this before.

However, as James was about to stand up, lengths of chains flew around and restrained him to the floor, his arms and legs spread to their capacity, but unable to move at all.

“What is he doing?” James grew worried.

All of a sudden, James felt an invisible, yet scaly force pounce on his abdomen, and what felt like a long tail wrapping around his waist. He expected for another canister to hit him or worse, until the unexpected happened; he felt a pair of velvety-soft, gecko-fingered hands scrambling all over his stomach, and another pair vigorously scratching the bunches of fur under his arms. James started to jolt in response, but could not loosen himself.

“Enjoying yourself, Sullivan?” Randall reappeared, morphing back to normal as he restrained James with his knees.

James lay there, tense yet speechless. Randall blended in again, and continued his fur-scratching, this time using his human hands.

Mariko wandered off, when Michael came running down the hall.

“Mariko!” exclaimed Michael, scooping the girl in his arms, “You’re safe. Where’s Sulley?”

Mariko pointed at James, chained to the floor and wiggling like crazy.

Michael ran over to the scene, surprised to see what was going on.

“Sulley? What’s gotten into you?” Michael was bewildered by the sight.

“Mike,” James cried, “Save me.”

“Save you?” Michael laughed, “How can I ‘save you’ when you’re acting so hilarious?”

“Please Mike,” James tried to hold back a tear, “I can’t take it anymore.”

“After the way you were to me?” Michael pondered, “Okay, I suppose I care about the girl too. But Sulley, you gotta pull yourself together, or else we won’t be able to get her home.”

James could not respond to Michael’s remark, especially under the pressure and torment he was enduring.

“Okay, that’s enough!” Michael took a snowball from his coat pocket and targeted it at James, but when he threw it, the ball hit right above, revealing Randall.

“Hey, it’s Randall—oh,” Michael was mortified, and somewhat shocked at the same time, having just learned of how he was torturing James.

“Thanks Mike,” James finally was able to speak again.

“I’m sorry, but,” Michael tried to find the words, “Randall, were you just, um, scratching James’ fur—”

“He deserves it!” Randall growled, this time wrapping his hands around James’ neck, applying enough crushing pressure to turn his face blue.

At the horrifying sight, Michael raised his cellphone to the air, shouting “Summon Weapon!” as he pressed a button combination. Almost instantly, the background turned a sparkling green, with Michael appearing to shoot upward through it. Two green lights swirled out of his cellphone, spiraling down, manifesting in his hands as a pair of blasters made of clear, polished green crystal. Calling out, “Power Up! Wazowski Crystal Pistols!”, Michael pressed charge buttons on each of the guns, causing them to glow in cycling stripes. He spun around as he aimed the guns, shouting “Ready! Target Locked! Jade Crystal Blast!” as he pulled the triggers.

James looked up, seeing the green energy blast heading towards him, but hitting Randall instead, debilitating him in the process. Mariko, who was watching from the sidelines, applauded Michael, saying “Ohhh…” (おぉぉぉ—…)

Michael landed on the floor again with his glowing blasters in hand. James stood up, punching Randall in the face as he sprinted off. Catching up with his best friend, he threw his arms around Michael, pulling him in tightly. Mariko saw this, and waddled her way towards them. Tears started to fall down James’ face.

“Thanks for returning,” James muttered under his tears.

“It’s alright, Sulley,” Michael answered, “Now we just need to get to her door—”

Before they knew it, Randall had advanced on them, wrapping his hands around James’ neck once again.

“Sulley!” exclaimed Michael.

“Take her!” James ordered, prying off Randall’s hands with his own, “I will meet up with you after I fight him off.”

Michael took Mariko in his arms and ran off into the office halls. James drew out his cellphone, and raising it in the air, shouted, “Summon Weapon!” as he dialed the buttons. The background became a sparkling blue with purple glowing bubbles; James soaring through it like a rocket. A beam of light shot out of the cellphone, swirling back down and manifesting itself into a large, thick Dao-style blade with glowing polka dots cycling on it, and a fur covered handle to grip it with. He took it in his hand, calling out, “Power Up! Sullivan Blade of Roaring Justice!” while he twirled it around.

In shock and awe, Randall fell to the floor, putting a hand over his eyes to shield his vision from the blinding light of James’ sword. However, as the light started to fade, he stood up, slowly unwrapping a leather binding from around his hips, and twirling it around in the air. He then called out “Summon Weapon!” and the background turned a glittering lavender with snakeskin spirals; Randall shooting through it as well. The leather strap glowed brightly, transforming itself into a turquoise-tipped purple snakeskin whip that resembled the tail of a tree monitor lizard. Randall then called out, “Power Up! Boggs Lizard Whip!”, as he pressed a button on the handle, causing the whip to emit electrical amethyst flames.

The two landed on the floor; their weapons drawn.

“Your move, Randall,” James spoke.

Randall charged forward, using uncanny strength to swing his whip. James ducked, rolling on the floor before leaping with his blade. However, he did manage to get whipped several times, each one burning and jolting more painfully that the last.

“Like the feeling, Sullivan?” Randall taunted.

As James regained his composure, the whiplash wounds started to heal in a matter of seconds; the blood disappearing as well. Randall was startled at his rival’s self-healing power, eventually finding the glowing blade right at his forehead, and his loose necktie being gripped by James’ powerful hand.

“You were saying?” James teased back.

In an effort to escape, Randall bared his teeth, and summoning his might, leaned forward and bit James’ hand deep enough for blood to seep out.

“Aaagghhh!!!” James dropped his grip on Randall’s tie. Fortunately for him, the puncture wounds healed just as fast as they happened.

“That’s so unfair, you know, Sullivan,” Randall hissed.

Before James could advance again, Randall leaped onto him, pinning him to the floor with his knees, and banging his head on the floor.

“I hate you so much Sullivan!” Randall cried loudly, slapping James repeatedly across his face, “I really do!!!”

James held on as long as he could under the nosebleed-inducing face slappings and even rapid-fire spittings he was endlessly receiving. He did not want to show it, but tears rolled down his eyes as he wondered, What have I ever done to you?

Just as Randall was about to attempt another asphyxiation, James rose up and restrained him on the floor; his strong hands and knees clamped onto the other’s small shoulders and hips.

“I really don’t want to hurt you, Randall,” James started, his voice shaking as tears streamed down his face, “If I’ve ever hurt or wronged you in any way, I am sorry and I apologize from the depths of my heart. Just, please, I beg you, this isn’t right—”

“Too late!” Randall jolted up and kicked James hard enough to render him limp. As he was about to run away, he found the larger man catching up to him and restraining him with his arms again. James then took the whip and deactivated its flame mode, gently wrapping it around Randall; effectively tying him up. He placed him near a ventilation pipe, and then took off into the hallway; his wounds healing as he ran.

Michael was able to make it to the lobby, where he made a round turn around the reception desk. While he was not paying attention, Celia saw this. At that moment, she got off her chair and ran down the hall to Energy Floor F as well. No one else in the lobby seemed to pay any attention; not even the CDA agents inspecting the place.

As Michael was running down the corridor with Mariko in his arms, James appeared and managed to catch up with him. He was almost out of breath, but neither of them could stop.

“Did you manage to hold off Randall?” Michael asked.

“I did,” James answered, “Now we just need to get to her portal and everything will be over.”

All of a sudden, Celia came bouncing her way through the hall, calling out “Michael!”.

“Celia?” Michael turned his attention to the sight of his former girlfriend, who apparently had her hair now styled in pigtails and for some reason was dressed in a schoolgirl uniform.

“Uh, Celia, what’s with the uniform?” Michael was dumbfounded by the sight.

“It’s not important, but I need to know what is going on right now!” Celia yelled desperately.

“Ok, I’ll give you the truth,” Michael took a deep breath, “You see, Sulley was working late last night, and apparently this little girl from the human world entered through the factory, and James has been trying to put her back ever since, and I’ve had to help him. And not only that, we’ve also discovered that Randall has a ‘secret lab’, and he wanted to use a deadly killing machine on the girl. Sulley just told me that he managed to hold him off for now.”

“That is the most ridiculous story I’ve ever heard!” Celia exclaimed; her voice jiggling at the speed at which they were all running, “Do you expect me to believe that?!!”

Ma-i-ku Wa-zo-u-su-ki !!! (マイク ワゾウスキ)” Mariko exclaimed, peering over James’ shoulder.

“Aaaaahhhh!!!” Celia fell to the floor, but managed to bounce back up immediately. She was shocked at the sight, immediately realizing that Michael had been telling the truth, no matter how crazy it sounded. She got back up on her feet, continuing her jumpy sprinting.

Meanwhile, down where the heating and cooling systems were, Randall lay on the pipes; the whip wrapped around his body, rendering him helpless. That is, until an eerie grin crossed his face. He morphed into his creature form, which multiplied his limbs. The lower two hands were free from the restraint, and one right next to the whip handle. Gently un-tucking the handle, the rest of the whip was able to unravel slowly, releasing Randall; his long scaly form softly rolling off the pipes and to the floor. He landed on his gecko hands and feet, and started to sprint and scamper out of the location and into the main hallways.

“Ok, I believe you!” Celia managed to catch up with Michael back in the hallway, “In fact, you better run faster; I see Mr. Boggs heading your way right now!”

And just as Celia had finished speaking, Randall came speeding down the hall, now in his human form; a mix of distress, rage, and psychosis splattered all over his face. Michael and James, however, had just arrived at Energy Floor F as their crazed co-worker was coming after them.

“Go, now!” Celia commanded, “I will create a distraction.”

As Michael and James headed off with Mariko towards the door stations, Celia sprinted and bounced back down the hallway, arriving at her desk. She turned on the intercom and put on her headpiece, announcing, “Attention Energy Floor F! Randall Boggs is our new Top Energy Harvester! Oh, and by the way, I’m dumping you Randall, 'cause you’re definitely no Googly-Bear!”

Just as the announcement was made, Randall grew even more angered and tense, shouting “Nobody dumps Randall Boggs!!!” As he continued running, he was stopped by a familiar, yet unexpected figure: Roz.

“You will not go after them any further!” Roz commanded, holding out her pen and clipboard.

“Oh really?” Randall chuckled at the woman’s order, “Like I’m really scared of you!”

“You should be,” Roz replied calmly.

Right at that moment, Roz tossed up her pen and clipboard into the air as the background became a sparkling, glittering gold; the woman soaring vertically through it as she called out “Summon Weapon! Combat Upgrade Transformation!” Light ribbons came swirling down around her glowing body; her chenille cardigan turning into a silky crimson tunic, and her skirt becoming overlaid with gold glitter. The light ribbons also manifested themselves into a breastplate, forearm guards, and a crossover holster belt. Finally, the glowing pen and clipboard descended back down into Roz’s grip, now having become a sword and shield, respectively. She then called out “Power Up! Fountain Sword and Info Shield!” as she landed on the floor.

At the sight, Randall drew out his Lizard Whip again, and powered it on with its violet flames. The two clashed repeatedly; Roz swung her sword, squirting out fountain pen ink on Randall’s designer threads, but Randall defended against every close slash and swipe with the crack of his flaming whip. Several times, the woman managed to redirect the electrical current of the flames using her giant clipboard shield and avoid getting shocked by the jolts. However, the two were not as equally matched as each other thought; Randall may be fragile in his appearance, but was definitely stronger than a fur beast. Roz, on the other hand, although skilled in her wielding of weaponry, was indeed weaker, since combat was not her greatest strength. In the midst of the duel, it was only a matter of seconds before the whip struck her sword, sending an electrical current through the metal that would, in slow motion, send her falling backwards onto the floor. Her sword and shield fell out of her grip as Randall stood above her, grinning.

“Told ya’,” Randall snorted, “Now to get Sullivan.”

Roz lay on the floor, defeated. As she watched Randall run into the Energy Floor, she whispered to herself, “The chosen one shall overcome her fear of you, you monster. And the two guardians shall triumph over you, too.”

Once Randall entered the Energy Floor, he was mobbed by a group of Energy Harvesters and Portal Summoners, cheering him with “Hooray for Randall! You’re the best!”

“Get outta my way!” Randall growled, pushing and shoving through all the people around him.

Michael and James reached the flower door, but someone sent it up. The two grabbed onto a yellow door as it rose up back onto the zipline. Randall was able to see this, and immediately escaped the crowd. He scurried up the pole and grabbed hold of a wooden door, riding along the zipline just behind the duo carrying the little girl.

“The machine may be damaged beyond repair,” Randall panted, “But I will bring you home safely, my child.”

“There!” James exclaimed, “There’s Boo-chan’s door! It can’t be that hard now to get her home now.”

And just like that, James and Michael had just exited the tunnel they were riding through, only to be met with a sight that would prove both of them wrong about getting to Mariko’s door.

So… James can self-heal like Wolverine from X-Men[i], and Michael and Celia have officially gotten back together. Also, who here was expecting Roz?

Right now, I’m kinda stuck with Chapter Twelve, so it may not be on here for a while, but I’ll give you this warning. Whatever you do, please DO NOT kill me for the anti-climactic twist that takes place at the end of it. It will be resolved in the chapters after that, however.

Finally, here’s a tree monitor lizard’s tail, if you want to know what Randall’s whip looks like:[/i]

What an exciting chapter! The fight scenes were quite cool to visualize and were super-intense, but in the best way. I especially liked having Roz and Randall fight, that was seriously cool :slight_smile: Can’t wait for the next chapter!

After a month-long hiatus, CHAPTER TWELVE IS FINALLY HERE!!!

WARNING!!!

This chapter, like the previous one, is heavily violent, but it will also make you cry at the anticlimactic ending. It’s horrible, heartless, and just plain cruel. Please don’t hate me for it.

Okay. Here goes the emotional roller coaster. mournfully activates coaster

Chapter Twelve: One Too Many Doors

Michael and James knew that there were many doors kept in the factory. What they did not know was just how many they actually had. There had to be millions—no, billions upon billions of these precious portals stored within this warehouse.

And only one of these portals—a white door with pink and lilac flowers—would lead to the bedroom of a kitten-loving 2-year-old girl from Osaka. The easy part was knowing what this door looked like. The hard part: finding it among the many doors kept inside this storage area.

In other words the difficulty level could be best described as a “Needle in a Haystack”.

“Well, since we know what her door looks like, we can try and follow its path,” James suggested.

As if there could be no better timing, Mariko’s door and the yellow door Michael and James were holding onto were separated by the zipline traffic. They could only hope now, even if by a slim chance, that they could reach it if they could see where it was going.

“Let’s try and jump doors!” James suggested, “Just hold onto me tightly.”

Michael climbed onto James’ back as he leapt off the door and onto another one that was trailing right behind the white door with the flowers. The adrenaline rushed through their bodies as they braved their fear of falling, leaping between doors to stay on track of the door they were seeking. However, as they chased after the desired portal, they had no idea that Randall was right behind them, also leaping from door to door to get to them.

“All these doors are being stored away,” Michael noted.

“Doors,” sighed James, “Why did it have to be doors?”

The portal that Michael and James were riding on slowed down as it stationed itself within the storage grid, where billions of other portals were also docking.

“Great,” Michael grunted, “How are we to get to her room now?”

The pair remained silent, until a lightbulb popped over James’ head.

“I’ve got an idea!” James exclaimed, “Michael, you need to find a way to make Boo-chan laugh.”

“Ok,” Michael sighed, “Watch this.”

Michael stood up on his feet on one of metal bars dividing the columns and rows of doors in the immense storage rack. He extended his arms as if he were about to dive into a swimming pool, except he performed a backflip and finished with a split, landing on the metal bar and stiffening out.

At the sight, Mariko began to laugh so hard and so loud that the X-Wing fighters had to flee the Death Star quickly, and that they did not launch a proton torpedo into the exhaust port. Not only was the girl’s laughter powerful enough to blow up the Empire’s main space station, but it had the energy to activate all the doors in the warehouse, and send them riding on the ziplines again.

“Now’s our chance!” Michael and James exclaimed, catching the sight of the white door with the flowers.

The two jumped onto another door, and upon opening it, entered an island house. The two ran across the clean white sand as the turquoise blue waters rolled gently on the shore. A light breeze blew by, and the men with the little girl entered through another closet, returning to the warehouse. They jumped off the zipline and onto a platform where a control room was located, and some other doors were piled around.

As Michael and James were going to run into another door, Randall came flying off one of the ziplines, a menacing look written across his squinted-eyed face. James set down Mariko and tightened his fists as his co-worker came walking towards him.

“Michael,” began James, whispering, “It’s time we do this. Follow my lead.”

James took Michael’s hand, and the pair raised their free hands into the air, shouting, “Combat Upgrade! Dual Metamorphosis!” As soon as they finished speaking, the background turned into a vertical hyperspace vortex of rainbows and sparkles; their glowing bodies shooting upward through it. A pale green light ribbon swirled down around Michael’s body, and a pale blue light ribbon with lilac dots swirled around James’ body.

Randall fell to his knees as he watched the scene; shielding his eyes from the brilliant light that the dual transformation was emitting. The light ribbons on James became a samurai-inspired ensemble with oversized cat-paw gloves with polka-dot fur. Likewise, the light ribbons on Michael became a futuristic combat ensemble with a round green helmet and a double holster belt for his Crystal Pistols. The pair landed on the floor with their weapons drawn and glowing. Mariko smiled in awe, seeing that her heroes were going to defend her from her monster.

“Don’t come any closer,” Randall started off smoothly, “Combat Upgrade Transformation!”

Randall’s body became a glowing white silhouette as he shot up through a sparkling amethyst snakeskin vortex. A light ribbon in a downward-progressing gradient of soft pink, smoky purple, and turquoise blue wrapped itself around his form, turning his shirt into a loose tunic, and his suit pants also became loose and billowy. A variety of snakeskin accessories also appeared on him, including combat boots and bindings around his hips. Finally, his tie began to glow as he descended gracefully on his tip-toes.

Michael and James stood in awe for a few seconds, before James opened up his mouth to say, “Nice Battle Transformation”.

“Glad you like it, Sullivan,” Randall slinked up towards the pair slowly, igniting his flaming whip as he flipped his hair, “I know you’re jealous.”

Michael and James stood their ground; their weapons in position as Randall continued towards them.

“Well, since the big furry mess let me have it last time,” Randall started off, “Your move, Wazowski and Sullivan.”

Michael and James lunged forward, slashing and shooting as Randall blocked their attacks effectively with his whip. Michael got down on the floor, rolling across as James spun around with his sword, avoiding Randall’s whip cracks as best as he could. When Randall’s view was turned, Michael then pointed his pistols, and shot them; grazing Randall on the shin and causing him to slump down for a moment; James towering over him as his sword pointed to the purple-haired man’s nose.

“Sulley!” Michael called out as he ran, “I think we’re keeping the upper hand on this.”

Once Michael got there, however, Randall sprung up again, this time throwing punches at the pair, which they tried their best to evade.

“You may have me outnumbered,” Randall started, “but I’m definitely stronger than the two of you combined.”

Michael ducked and grabbed Randall by the leg, pulling him down as James ran to get Mariko. He then took off after his friend to go search for the white flower door. As they hopped on the zipline, however, Randall stood up, sprinting across the platform and onto the zipline as well.

“I hope that hurts, Lizard Boy!” Michael exclaimed as he made a funny face and sounded raspberries.

“Quick! We need to hide!” James told Michael.

The two opened a door they were riding on, and flew in. They had landed in a farm-themed bedroom, and ran into another closet door opposite the one they had entered, leading back into the warehouse. The duo then jumped onto another door, but found that it had no knob.

“Sulley, you have to slide it open from the side,” Michael instructed.

James followed Michael’s suggestion. It was a screen door, which led to a traditional Asian home. As they ran through the room, they noticed something. as they looked out the window.

“Hey, it’s Mount Fuji,” James noted, “We could take a train or something and find Boo-chan’s home without having to try every door.”

“It’s not that easy!” Michael noted, “Randall told me she lives in Osaka, and I have no idea how far that is from our location now. We just have to continue portal-jumping until we find the door.”

James slid open another door, where the pair then jumped through a door stationed on a platform, landing in a music themed bedroom. Unfortunately, the forceful landing of James with Mariko in his hold caused the door to start leaning over the railing as Michael was about to enter.

“Give me your hand, Mike!” James exclaimed.

Michael took hold of James’ hand. As soon as the door shut, it tipped over the railing, plummeting down the length of almost a hundred stories, where it was destroyed into nothing but wooden scraps. A pile of doors lay on the platform, the bottom of which opened and flipped all the other doors aside; James and Michael had emerged, and caught sight of a fancy light blue door with white trimmings.

“This way, Mike!” James called out.

The pair, with the girl riding along, dropped through the door, landing in an ornate French bedroom; the view of the Eiffel Tower outside the long, vertical window. They opened the door opposite the one they entered, and in the nick of time Randall arrived, only to see that no one was in that room. He opened the door anyway, and continued his pursuit.

Michael and James found themselves riding on another door, holding on tightly.

“I think we’ve lost him,” James remarked.

At that second, Mariko seemed to have fallen out of James’ grip.

“Boo-chan!” James exclaimed, “Mike, where is she?!!”

“I have no idea,” Michael panicked, “I thought you had her!”

“Sorry Losers!” Randall popped up behind the door, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to do this sweet little girl a favor—”

“You give her back!” James growled, swishing his hand at Randall’s face.

All three men leaped off the door and landed on another platform. They all drew their weapons, but unlike the previous encounter, Randall kept Mariko in his hold as he activated his whip’s flame mode. Michael cocked his pistols again, and James drew out his glowing polka-dotted blade.

“I just made it harder on you, Sullivan,” Randall began, “She’s not gonna just sit and watch; she’s going to be part of the action, and so if you don’t want her to get hurt, I suggest you exercise some caution when dueling now.”

James could feel himself soften up a little at the sight of Mariko, trembling in Randall’s arms. At the same time, he could feel his face boiling and tensing up, not really out of anger, but out of fear that he could do her harm if he was not careful in dueling Randall.

“Your move, Randall,” James spoke weakly.

“You know what, Sullivan?” Randall started off, setting Mariko down on the floor, “I’m getting tired of the weapons; we should settle this like the wild, untamed animals we truly are.”

James and Randall withdrew their weapons and struck a pose, becoming enveloped in a blinding white light, re-emerging as a majestic and imposing beast covered in soft fur, and an ethereal creature adorned with a mosaic of iridescent scales, respectively. They leaped towards each other, growling and hissing as they repeatedly clawed, slapped, and at times even mauled in self-defense. Michael caught sight of the brawl; it appeared as if two wild animals were locked in a fight to the death. It was soft, fluffy blue and purple against smooth, shimmering amethyst and turquoise. Warm blood against cold blood. Fur against scales. James was then restrained with four gecko feet on his sides and his head faced down; Randall had mounted on him as if he were riding a horse. Using his upper hands, the lizard creature grabbed a hold of James’ furry head, and began to pound it on the hard floor; his lower hands held down his paws, and he used his tail to repeatedly whip the beast, bleeding lashes across his furry back. Randall dismounted off of James, kicking him so he was now facing the ceiling. The beast lay still, tears and blood streaming down his face.

“You think you’re so strong and powerful just because you’re a fur beast, huh Sullivan?” Randall taunted, gently wrapping the turquoise tip of his scaly tail around James’ neck and giving him a light tickle at his throat, “Despite my fragility, I have the crushing spirit of a python in me, and not even a bear or lion is a match for that—”

Before he could continue, James had grabbed a hold of Randall’s tail, prying it off his neck with both his paws. The two morphed back into their human forms, but Randall was able to snatch the girl once again, and jumped off the railing and took hold of a door.

“He’s getting away!” Michael exclaimed, “Go after him and Mariko; I’ll stay here.”

Getting down on all fours, James darted his way off the platform and leaped onto a door, continually jumping from one to the other, until Randall and Mariko were within his range. Riding on a green door, however, Randall relaxed himself, before turning his attention to the girl in his arm.

“Don’t worry, child,” Randall started off, panting tiredly, “There’s nothing to be afraid of; you’ll be home soon, and I wish you the sweetest of dreams.”

At that moment, James came swinging across the doors. Randall opened the door he was on and took the girl in with him. The door then swung open again as James flew in, having kicked the door as he landed on the floor.

“Neko-chan!” Mariko clapped.

“Boo-chan!” James smiled, “Come with me now!”

As Mariko began to waddle towards James, Randall seemed to have swung from the ceiling and knocked down the larger man, who was now holding onto the threshold of the door; his legs swinging freely over the 500 ft drop that he could possibly fall to if he lost his grip. The purple haired man loomed over him; all tattered and worn from all the combat the two had been engaged in.

“Look at everyone’s favorite Energy Harvester now!” Randall shouted, his face reddened by anger and fury, “Still think you’re Number #1, you STUPID, PATHETIC WASTE?!!”

As Randall spewed out the full force of his hatred and rage, he used his booted foot and stepped on James’ left hand, causing him to lose half his grip on the threshold. Mariko tried to hide her eyes in fear, and was about to cry, until she stood up, formed her hands into fists, and her face turned from scared to angry. Not only that, her form then started to glow a soft, whitish pink as she looked around, and saw a baseball bat.

“YOU ARE OVER!” Randall yelled as he was about to step on James’ right hand, “AND DON’T WORRY; I’LL TAKE GOOD CARE OF THE GIRL!!!”

Just as Randall was about to drop James to his death, he then felt himself being pulled by the cowlick trio on his head. Mariko had jumped onto him, and pulling at his hair, began to beat him with an aluminum baseball bat, causing him to change into various colors and patterns, from solid pinks and greens to ornate spectrums of paisley, glittering stars, and geometric throw pillow prints in aqua, coral, and mustard. The feeling was torturous to Randall, but to the others watching, it was a spectacular display of camouflage swatches unlike anything ever seen before; even James himself was amused by the sight. The beating stopped, however, when the large man grabbed Randall by the neck with one hand, and restrained him by the hips with the other hand.

“Look at that,” James smiled at his deranged co-worker as he squirmed endlessly, “She’s not afraid of you anymore. Don’t you just love how the grow up so fast? Looks like you’re out of a job.”

Using his strength, Randall repeatedly kicked and slapped at James, missing several times and hitting the wall with his feet as he screamed, “You make my life a LIVING NIGHTMARE EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE, SULLIVAN!!!”. However, his tantrum came to a stop when the two men heard the sound of a large bookcase fall on the floor, followed by the sound of painful crying. James set down Randall in a corner, and gently lifted up the bookcase, only to be met with a horrific sight, even to a kaiju:

Mariko had gotten in the way, and she lay still on the floor, loudly crying in pain. Her face showed signs of nosebleeding, and there were some paper cuts on her arms. Randall caught sight of this as well; his eyes widening in shock as he felt his frail body tremble uncontrollably, and tears began to stream down his cheeks.

“She’s not toxic,” James started off as he reached a paw towards the girl’s hair. Randall, however, scrambled towards her as well, screaming and choking on his crying.

“HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!!!” Randall was overcome by shock and sorrow. His hatred for James had disappeared as he took in the sight of the injured child. He leaned over her, trying to hold back his screaming as his heart beat accelerated beyond normal.

“You say she’s not toxic?” Randall asked, to which James nodded “Yes”. He pressed his lips deeply on Mariko’s forehead, and placed a hand on her right shoulder, muttering, “I’m sorry, my baby. Forgive me.”

As Randall slowly pulled away from Mariko, James picked her up. He also held Randall by the neck, and leaped out the door and back onto the platform. The man ran towards Michael, and left the girl with him.

“What happened?!” Michael was shocked by the sight.

“Keep an eye on her,” James told him, “It was an accident; neither of us did anything to harm her. She was just in the way of a falling bookcase.”

Michael held Mariko in his arms. The sight of her frightened the green-haired man; her eyes were blackened, and blood was dried up on her as she whimpered. The fact that she coughed only made it worse, and there was nothing to clean up the fresh blood staining her dress.

“You’re going to be alright,” Michael whispered to the girl.

Meanwhile, Randall had found himself restrained by the waist and neck again. He looked over his shoulder and saw James looming over him.

“Randall Boggs, I want to you shut up and listen carefully to me,” James started off, calmly, “You are a threat to this job, and to Kaiju City. You put my life in serious danger, and not only mine, but Michael’s and Mariko’s too. And that girl is barely holding onto life now. I will decide what to do with you in a moment.”

James pulled out a pair of handcuffs, and clamped them on Randall. He also wrapped chains around his ankles, and left him by a control panel. He then ran over to Michael to see how the girl was doing, however, that is when his friend met him with a stunned gaze.

“Mike, what’s wrong?” James asked.

Michael was speechless for a moment, then turned his face upward and said, “Sulley, she’s not breathing.”

James took Mariko out of Michael’s arms, and put her chest to his ear. Nothing. Only silence. Not one single beat. Her eyes were closed shut, and her face had turned a grayish pale white. James set the girl down on the floor and Michael found a piece of chamois, and laid it over her body. At the same time, he felt himself growing tense and a wave of anger overtook him as he formed his hands into fists. Suddenly, a loud roar, louder than a million untamed lions roaming grasslands shook the entire door warehouse. James’ eyes had turned pitch black, and he was foaming at the mouth in fury and rage.

A human child had just died on kaiju soil.

[i]There. The horrible, heartless, soulless, cruel, evil anticlimactic ending to this chapter.

[spoil]Do you remember what Michael said about Celia back in Chapter Ten? If so, remember that in Hercules (the Disney Version), Megara would not be gone for long.[/i][/spoil]

Wow indeed. The whole scene is incredibly tense in the best way and you really upped the ante in several ways throughout the chapter. And that was a seriously deep plot twist that I couldn’tve seen coming. Very very much looking forward to the next chapter!

OWP: As always, I appreciate all your feedback. It was a big one, I tell you, worrying if MI fans would actually flame me for the big plot twist. The idea was to make her a tragic hero who risked her life to save her “Kitty”, and now Michael and James are going to have to do the same for her, ven though there may be ramifications involved on Earth.

Whew! Chapter Thirteen has finally made it! This is not the end, however, for there is one more mind-blowing chapter and even an extra epilogue to finish it, and a bonus blooper reel with company play (yes, I will write my take on those too).

Okay, enough talking, and now to get this show on the road! We’re almost there!!!

Chapter Thirteen: Endgames

Michael was now worried greatly. One, the girl that he and James were helping to get home had just died in his arms. Two, his friend had turned rabid, and seemed ready to attack anyone and anything in his sight.

“Calm yourself,” Michael approached James, “Look at me and listen; ripping Randall limb from limb is not going to bring Mariko Tachibana back.”

James was able to listen to Michael’s words. He relaxed, his eyes returned to normal, and the foaming at the mouth ceased. However, he was left in tears, knowing that she was gone.

“Her parents will just think she somehow died in her sleep,” James thought, “But if a doctor on Earth performs an autopsy on her, they’ll know she was somehow injured, but nothing in her room would be able to explain it.”

All of a sudden, something completely unexpected happened right before Michael and James’ eyes. The body of the girl began to glow, and a bright pink light swirled out of it, manifesting itself into the image of Mariko; her pigtails billowing, and clothed in a flowing nightgown as flower petals trailed from her. She floated above the platform, and a pair of chains illuminated from her hands, which trailed in a gradient that progressed from soft pink to lavender, where they reached Randall’s hands. He lay on the floor, bound and restraint, with tears staining his face. He rolled over, however, at the sight of the pink light hovering over him.

“What is going on?” Michael and James were in awe of the sight.

The glowing form floated down slightly, and lifted Randall, who now was consumed by a lavender light. She looked into his eyes and smiled.

“M-Mariko???” Randall was bewildered.

Visions began to flood into their minds. Memories of dark nights characterized by blood-curdling screams and serpentine slithers. Waking up from nightmares in a cold sweat, and gracefully blending in and out of a flowery pink wallpaper. Brown eyes wide in heart-pounding terror at the sight of moonlit purple scales, and jade eyes casting sympathy for the pigtailed, infantile beauty.

The stream of memories ceased as Mariko fixed her gaze on Randall, who placed a hand on her hair, even though it was only her essence.

“I am no longer afraid of you,” Mariko spoke.

The chains connecting both their hands dissolved into a confetti of fading glitter. The glowing form then placed a small kiss on Randall’s cheek, and a stream of lavender light flowed from him through Mariko, and into her actual body. The radiating pink apparition then flew swiftly around the warehouse, streams of pink light whirling rapidly and energizing the door frames. Laughter could be heard as all the door lights turned from red to pink. Randall floated back down and stopped glowing, slumping into exhaustion. Michael and James stared at the light show; their mouths gaping wide open as they took in the breathtaking imagery. The lights manifested again into Mariko’s form, speaking, “Please do enjoy my gift of new light,” before swirling around again into the door frames, sending the doors riding down the ziplines once more, and a wooden brown door came in sight. Michael grabbed the door and set in on a balcony, and James walked over to Randall, who was now only half-conscious, scooping him up in his arms again. He gently unwrapped the chains around his ankles, and removed the cuffs from his hands. Randall lay still, unflinching, and his eyelids lowered. He folded his hands over his chest, feeling his heart slowing back down to a steady rate. He could barely hear what the other two men were discussing, however.

“Randall is a danger to our society, and especially to Energy Floor F,” James told Michael, “Who knows if he ever snaps like this again, and possibly against other co-workers. He cannot be here in our world anymore. One can only imagine if the violence and harm he has inflicted on us can get worse towards others.”

Michael opened the door; the only items in sight being a meat cleaver and a clownfish mounted on display.

“Randall, please transform yourself,” James advised the purple-haired man.

Still weakened and exhausted, Randall was able to hear James’ command, and summoned the remainder of strength in him in order to morph himself into his creature form. He remained at rest in James’ arms, not even trying to fight his way out of the restraint.

“Throw him in!” Michael cheered James on.

James aimed Randall directly through the opening of the door, and tossed him in as if he were nothing but a used vacuum bag. Michael slammed the door shut.

“Care to do the honors?” Michael asked.

“With much pleasure,” James winked.

The two then tossed the door over the railing, plummeting several stories down where it finally shattered into shreds.

In the Southern United States, there was a trailer that seemed to resemble the one shown in the movie A Bug’s Life. It was nighttime in the area, and a boy who was picking up trash caught sight of Randall and called out, “Ma, there’s a gator in here!”

“What?” Randall shot up awake in confusion, his eight limbs scrambling in a frenzy, “I’m not a—”

“'Nother gator? Gimme dat shovel!” A woman ordered.

The boy gave his mom a shovel, which she used to hit Randall over the head, beating him senselessly.

“Stop It! Stop It!” Randall cried as he slumped to the floor, waving his four arms in desperation and kicking with his four feet in self defense. His cries, however, were drowned by the mother and son’s wild cheering and the sound of the metal shovel beating at his lizard snout. Given that the portal was destroyed, there seemed to be no way out for him.

“The doors have lost their power!”

Michael and James had finally reached Mariko’s closet door. Unfortunately, the power had gone away, and the pink light indwelling the door frames seemed to have vanished, spiraling downward in the warehouse.

“What’s the use?” James remarked, “She’s dead, Mike.”

“We have to put her in bed anyway,” Michael answered, “Like you said, her parents will just think she passed in her sleep and probably attribute it to SIDS or something like that.”

Before James could open his mouth again, the door rode down the zipline and through the tunnel that led back to Energy Floor F. Both men were bewildered; someone must have summoned the door, but who? As the door was on its path to the Energy Floor, the faint pink light followed behind them; neither were aware of its presence. However, the two men reverted back from their heavily damaged battle costumes to their original clothing, which were just as tattered and worn.

“I can’t help but think about when she said ‘New Light’,” James spoke, “It sounds so familiar, but I don’t remember where I heard it.”

“Let’s see who’s waiting for us over at the Energy Floor,” Michael whispered back.

The door was lowered from the zipline and onto a station on Energy Floor F. A team of CDA agents, clad in the yellow hazmat suits and armed with their equipment, were waiting around the door. They could not see anything however, for Michael and James had hidden behind the portal.

“This is the CDA,” began one of the agents, “Come out with the child slowly in plain sight.”

Michael and James appeared, walking slowly, with Mariko wrapped in the chamois. The faint pink light whirled around the green one of the pair, and he started to cough slightly.

“Mike, is everything alright?” James asked, worried.

The pink light lifted itself from Michael’s head. He then tilted his head back to normal and smiled.

“Yes,” Michael turned his attention to the CDA, “We’ll give you the child. But before we do…”

Michael opened his mouth and revealed a sock on his tongue. He peeled it off, and threw it at one of the hazmat-suited agents, causing all the other to scream “2319! 2319!” as they scrambled to remove the sock from their fellow cohort. It seemed as if they were able to distract the CDA men, until another figure appeared: Mr. Waternoose.

“Give me the child!” Mr. Waternoose ordered.

James and Michael turned towards the entrance to the Energy Floor and ran off, the lifeless child still in their arms. The faint pink light followed them on their dash through the halls, trying to evade the CEO at all costs. It seemed like an endless maze, switching directions through the many office halls; the call of “James! Come back here!” was the only thing that kept the pair running to safety. Fortunately, in the nick of time, they were able to find the training room.

“In here, Mike!” James called out.

Michael and James entered the training room and locked themselves in. James pulled out a metal pipe on the side of the double doors, and bent it around the handles in such a way that it shut the doors. However, as Michael set up a door, Mr. Waternoose was already trying to bust the restraint on the doors. James fled inside the closet door, with Mariko’s body still in his hold. Mr. Waternoose managed to break in, and immediately chased after the polka-dot haired man. Unknown to the CEO, Michael had hid himself under the main control desk, and began to fiddle around with the wiring and plugs. A horde of CDA agents also ran in with long-range recording microphones and other equipment.

“It’s over, James!”

Mr. Waternoose had entered the bedroom. James hid Mariko’s body beneath the pillow on the bed, and then turned around to face his master. However, the CEO fired a blue lightning bolt from his hand, almost causing James to fall.

“As your boss, I order you to hand me the child now!” Mr. Waternoose shouted.

“But why?” James was confused, “Why if she’s safe and sound here in her own room?”

“She has seen too much,” Mr. Waternoose continued, “She cannot go back to Earth with the knowledge she has now.”

“It doesn’t have to be this way,” James answered back.

“Scaring is not good enough anymore, James,” Mr. Waternoose explained, “And that girl is no ordinary girl; she is a child of prophecy, destined to save our world from the darkness of a power blackout. Randall does not know this, but the machine I made him create was for the primary purpose of extracting the gift of New Light from her, since the prophecy stated that she would be incapable of normal, human speech, therefore placing the gift in my possession. And if she is not the one, or the prophecy was all just a vain fairy tale, I’ll kidnap a thousand children before I let this company die! All to have their screams harvested by force if they won’t scream for us anymore!”

“Do you realize what you are saying?!” James was in shock, “We may be beasts and creatures of mystery and night, but the purpose of our job is that we watch over the children of Earth, and make sure they provide us energy, no matter the amount. Our motto says, ‘We Scare Because We Care’. We should be guardian angels to them, not demons.”

Mr. Waternoose’s face turned a furious, raging red as he advanced towards the bed, forcefully taking a hold of the blue gingham comforter.

“With the girl once again in my possession,” Mr. Waternoose panted, “Lux Nova shall surely be mine, and our realm shall be saved! You have lost this one, James P. Sullivan!”

“Good night Mom. Good night Dad.” a robotic boy voice spoke.

“What in the Crab Nebula?!—” Mr. Waternoose was shocked to discover than he had not grabbed Mariko, but rather the robot boy attached to the bed. The lights switched on, and the walls lifted as the intercom voice announced “Simulation Terminated! Simulation Terminated!”

“What’s going on?” Mr. Waternoose was shocked by the sudden turn of events.

“I’m kinda wondering the same thing,” James remarked, “especially with the CDA around.”

At the seat of the control panel was Michael, surrounded by some CDA agents. He smiled at them and chuckled.

“So, did we get all of that?” Michael asked, still smiling.

“We sure did!” answered a CDA agent.
James stepped out, with Mariko’s body in his hold. “Uh, Mike?” he asked, “What are you doing?”

“I got it all on tape!” Michael answered, “Gonna send this baby to the CDA, and let’s especially replay my favorite part in the entire video.”

Michael pressed a rewind button, and the a play button. On one of the television monitors, a recording of the showdown between James and Mr. Waternoose played out, with the CEO exclaiming “I’ll kidnap a thousand children before I let this company die!”, much to his dismay. As the green-haired man kept rewinding and replaying the clip, Mr. Waternoose grew wide-eyed at watching the video.

“I—I didn’t—!” Mr. Waternoose had no excuse. Those were his exact words; recorded on video. And the worst part for him? The CDA was witnessing the evidence.

This here, is proof,” began Michael, “Proof that Henry. J Waternoose III, CEO of M. Energy Incorporated, is guilty as charged. Also, I’m already making a list of dance music I could remix this clip to upload onto MonsTube. I feel some dubstep will do it justice.”

“Arrest him!” ordered a CDA agent.

The yellow-suited men took hold of the tuxedo clad, well-groomed elderly man, and dragged him out of the door. As he was being led out, he began to scold James.

“Because of you James,” Mr. Waternoose shouted, “The energy crisis will only get worse, and darkness will destroy out world! Because of you, we shall never know what the New Light is, and M. Energy Incorporated is dead!”

The CEO was led out of the room for good. However, just as Michael and James were turning to leave, they were halted by another agent.

“Hold it right there!” the agent said, “Number #1 wants to speak to you.”

The double doors flew open again as a horde of CDA agents lined up on both sides of the entrance. Michael and James covered their eyes in anxiety, until they heard a familiar voice say, “Hello Boys!” The two men uncovered their eyes, only to see someone they seemed to not have expected to be involved. She was wearing a yellow cardigan with the number “001” printed on its left side, along with her long golden-colored skirt trailing on the red-carpeted floor of the training room.

“ROZ?!!” Michael and James were dumbfounded.

“Two and a half years of undercover work,” Roz started off calmly, “I knew something fishy was going on here. What I didn’t know was it all led up to Waternoose. But I don’t think I ever would have figured it out if it wasn’t for you two and your schemes, which I’ve been familiar with for the past ten years. You should remember that I’m Number #1, don’t you?”

James and Michael were confused, until something seemed to click in all three of their minds…

Ten years ago, Roz found herself running with her men down the path of a university campus plaza, when she heard a fiery explosion. She arrived at the science building, only to see a room covered in soot and flames burning around a the remains of a door frame. The agents took the ash-covered Michael and James out the room as an elderly woman with deep red hair and clothing lay on the ground, panting heavily as she looked at all the fallen, blown canisters littering the tiled floor.

Michael and James did meet Roz many years ago; she had helped save them from certain death in a science lab, back when they were college freshmen. They had apparently forgotten all about the incident, until she reminded them about it now. Were it not for her, Michael and James would have perished in a fiery demise.

“Ever since then, I made sure I would be always watching you,” Roz continued, “And I don’t want any paperwork on this. None of this ever happened. And now, about the girl…”

“Um, I need to tell you something, Roz,” James started off, nervously.

“Permission granted,” Roz let him continue.

“About the girl,” James tried to speak calmly, holding back tears, “We were trying to get to her door in the warehouse, and we were in a scuffle with one of our co-workers, and a bookcase crushed her, and, she—she died…”

“We still have to send her home,” Roz answered, “There’s nothing more we can do.”

James held Mariko’s body close to his for a moment as he sobbed silently. At that moment, however, his blue eyes shot open as he turned his gaze to Michael.

“Mike, it doesn’t have to be this way!” James turned up a small smile.

“What are you talking about?” Michael was confused.

“You told me about Celia’s healing powers,” James continued, “You said she’s probably even capable of reviving the deceased within twelve hours.”

Michael pulled out his cell phone from his jean pocket. He began to dial a number, and then uttered, “Hello, Celia? I need you right now…”

Sprinting through the halls in a nurse costume, Celia arrived at the training room with a portable, baby-sized bathtub in her arms. She walked over to a counter for hand-washing, and began to fill up the small tub.

“What is she doing?” asked James.

“You’ll see,” Michael answered.

Carefully, Celia set the tub on the floor. Roz also watched, trying to make sense of the scene, and wondering just how she was going to help the girl.

“Where is she?” Celia asked.

James handed Mariko’s body over to Celia, who unwrapped it from the chamois cloth. Her costume was torn in shreds, and stained with blotches of blood.

“How long ago did she die?” Celia inquired again.

“Probably less than half an hour,” James responded.

Celia removed the clothing scraps from the girl, and handed them to Roz, who sealed them off in a bio-hazardous bag. She took in a few deep breaths as she analyzed the child.

“Listen closely,” Celia started off, slightly nervous, “I have only been able to successfully heal others of our kind for moderate injuries and poisonings. I have never once used Revival on a deceased person, let alone use any of my powers on a human. I ask you to please give me full concentration as I work with her.”

Michael, James, and Roz stood back and remained completely silent. Celia brought her hands down just an inch above the water. Holding them open-palmed, the water began to glow beneath her hands. She slowly moved her palms back and forth; the glowing water following her lead. Even though the water glowed white, the body of the girl began to glow in swirling light of pink and lavender. Roz only stared at the sight, wondering about how she had probably seen a trick like this on television as she began to write down her observances on her clipboard. Michael, however, found himself pulled into hug by James, who silently shed tears.

“I really hope this works,” James whispered.

“I hope so too, Sulley,” Michael whispered back as he looked up at his friend, a small tear rolling down from his visible eye.

After about ten minutes, the water stopped glowing. Celia pulled her hands back, and Roz came over to see if the revival was successful. The girl lay still in the portable tub; no evidence of cuts, bruises, or blood on her body; she was free of all injury and blemish, perfect as a doll. Nevertheless, her eyes remained closed as a sleeping infant.

[i]Oh no! Was Celia able to save our beloved Boo-chan?

If you don’t already know, Celia’s powers are based on the healing powers of waterbenders as seen in both[/i] Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and next time it will be the canonical Final Chapter (but be sure to stick for the epilogue as well). It will make you cry and also astound you in ways you probably never imagined.

Really great work on this chapter! You’ll have to pardon my lack of getting the right words out, but this chapter was wonderful; lots of really great twists and awesome spins on the story! So yeah… applauds :smiley:

OWP: This chapter left you speechless? Wow! I admit, it was pretty amazing to describe everything that happens in this chapter, from Mariko’s dissolution of her bond of fear, to the epic showdown between James and Waternoose.

And so… here’s Chapter Fourteen, the canonical final chapter to this epic tale. I will give you one warning, however. If you were speechless last time, prepare to have your mind blown, and when you’ve thought you’ve seen it all. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, there’ going to be several NON-Pixar references to keep your eyes out for (some of which you may or may not get depending on if you have any knowledge of Humongous Entertainment’s games).

Ok, time to roll film!

Chapter Fourteen: They Are Only Paper Tigers

Darkness was all that could be seen, accompanied by the sound of still water.

That is, until a loud cough and violent splashing disturbed that silence, and a pair of brown eyes shot awake, taking in the new scenery. Two women, one with purple hair and a nurse outfit and the other hefty with a golden skirt, yellow cardigan, and horn-rimmed glasses were the first people she saw, along with her green and blue/purple polka-dot haired friends.

Celia’s attempt at revival was successful; Mariko Tachibana was now fully restored to life.

Roz rushed to get a white towel from a cupboard above the sink in the room. Celia took out Mariko from the tub, and had her wrapped in the towel as she continued to cough up the water. She then handed the dripping wet toddler to James; her drenched pigtails raining down droplets across the red carpet as she was being passed on.

“Celia, I—” James was speechless. Never would he have thought that the receptionist who Michael was so infatuated with actually possessed the power to bring back people from the dead. And the result was now in his arms; Mariko appeared as a newborn wrapped in swaddling cloth. He dried her softly with an edge of the towel as tears of joy now rained down from his piercing blue eyes. He morphed his right hand into a beastly paw, but gently ran his thumb on the toddler’s left shoulder. She giggled and closed her eyes in bliss as she took in the feeling of the warm and furry paw caressing her baby-soft skin.

“Miss Stone, I’m going to ask you to wash the girl’s clothing,” Roz told Celia.

“Yes, Ma’am,” Celia took the child’s clothing handed to her by Roz and Michael, and took them to the sink, and switched the faucet on, letting the cold water run as she squirted soap into the sink, letting the garments sit and soak. She then opened a lower cupboard, and found a variety bag of candy. She walked over to Mariko and handed her a small pink lollipop.

“You were such a good girl today,” Celia, began, unwrapping the lollipop, “And good little girls like you deserve a special treat!”

Mariko took the lollipop as Celia patted her pigtails. Roz them came forward, folding her hands behind her back, gazing at James in concern.

“She is renewed,” began Roz, “And she will never be the same again.”

Those words immediately turned James’ attention towards Roz, “What do you mean?”

“The CDA does not usually tell you this, but,” Roz started off, “We always make sure children overcome their fears of monsters on their soil, not ours.”

“Ok, where is this going?” James grew nervous.

“There has been a time that a human once entered our world and overcome a fear of wolves while here,” Roz continued, “He was sent back to Earth, and is now known as the ‘werewolf’—”

“Please, just tell me what is going to happen to her,” James pulled Mariko in closer as she still slurped her candy.

“When a human conquers a fear of monsters in the kaiju world,” Roz began to explain, “They lose half of their humanity, and gain the power to transform into a monster themselves. They then become half human, half kaiju; their appearance is that of a normal human, unlike us, who possess more colorful hair and animalistic features at times. But they have the transformation power too, and whatever powers that go with the alternate form. The catch to it is, she does not transform into any random monster; her transformation is determined by the race of monster that she has overcome her fear of.”

James remained silent, trying to process what Roz had just told him. Since Mariko had conquered her fear of monsters in their world instead of her own, she now has the power to transform into the very creature she was afraid of. As he looked into her beautiful, comforting brown eyes, his face turned into a mix of shock and bewilderment as he pieced together the puzzle. He could see it now; Mariko would be able to shapeshift into a slithery, yet elegant creature of coveted exotic beauty…

A long, delicate, serpentine form covered in shimmering, colorful scales.

A rounded lizard/python snout.

Eight slender limbs ending in velvety soft, gecko-like fingers and toes.

A spiraling prehensile tail.

A crest of bouncy, yet graceful fronds billowing from her head.

A forked, ribbon-like tongue.

The power of chameleon camouflage.

“Who was her monster?” Celia asked as she lay washed clothes on a table beneath a drying lamp.

Michael and James were left speechless after hearing Roz’s words. Though this concept was new to them, they understood it perfectly. To put it in a nutshell, Mariko can now become a chameleon serpent; she would forever be a living echo of Randall Boggs.

“She cannot activate the transformation without a call phrase,” Roz added, “I know what she will become; she will probably start experiencing bouts of camouflage as she reaches puberty.”

“Her clothes are done drying,” Celia interrupted, “Can you please hand the girl over to us so we can get her dressed?”

James handed Mariko back to Celia and Roz, who helped dress her up in her sleeping clothes again. After having been in that disguise and wig for a long time, the warmth of the newly dried pink sleep shirt felt comforting against her fragile skin.

“And now to keep these tootsies warm,” Celia chuckled as she slipped the white socks on Mariko’s tiny feet, “What’s her name, anyway?”

“Mariko Kiku Tachibana,” answered Roz, “She’s from Osaka, and loves cats. Randall Boggs, the chameleon serpent, was her monster. But now that she has overcome her fear, to her, we are only paper tigers, following her in her wild imagination; only make believe. And there’s a fighter, a survivor, rising in her; she’s not afraid, and she won’t run away, from paper tigers.”

“Personally, I like to call her ‘Boo-chan’,” James interrupted.

“Why do you call her that?” Celia asked.

Mariko popped the candy out of her mouth. “Boo!” she exclaimed before getting back to her treat.

Celia giggled as she played with the girl. However, a cellphone started to ring. Roz drew it out of her pocket and answered it.

“I say that Waternoose should be tried and if declared guilty, he should be sent to prison,” Roz spoke, “No, you cannot banish without a legal, court-ordered warrant.”

As Roz continued her conversation on her phone, Michael sat down by one of the walls. However, his face showed no signs of happiness; rather, he was just blankly staring at the scenery, but appeared rather unfocused, possibly trying to repress some underlying distraught. James sat down next to him, brushing some bangs away from his visible eye.

“Mike?” James asked as he shook his friend by the shoulder, “Mike, can you hear me?”

I can tell, we’re going to be best chums!

Michael, age seventeen, had just reached his new dorm room, #319 to be exact. Out came a sweet yet shy young man with bright purple hair, dorky yet tidy clothing, and thick round glasses that magnified his emerald eyes that sparkled with a bright optimism as he introduced himself, shaking Michael’s hands with both his own. All of a sudden, he seemed to vanish before his eye, with only the glasses floating in mid-air, until re-appearing and about to cry.

[i]If I do that in scaring class, I’ll be a joke!

No, no that’s actually cool! It could really come in handy. Just lose the glasses; they give you away.[/i]

That day, the two began setting up the dorm. Michael’s side was covered in “Energy Harvester” themed memorabilia, while the side of his dorm-mate was more elegant and tasteful. Michael remembered walking to class with his friend, and how they would share notes. He also recalled mornings when he would wake up to the scent of homemade cooking, and lo and behold, his roommate showed up with two plates of pancakes; both decorated with icings and other toppings that formed smiley faces.

Wakey Wakey Mikey! I made pancakes that are sure to give you a day’s worth of smiles!

And how wonderfully fluffy those pancakes were! The stream of memories continued with late nights when Michael would wake up to the sound of homesick crying, and how he encouraged his friend to help him feel better.

I’m so lonely. I miss my mommy and daddy so much. Please don’t leave me alone, Mikey. I need comfort!

The scene then switched to not-so-lazy afternoons characterized by flash-card quizzing and reading books while lounging by the flower trees. While he was wrapped up in his studies, his roommate would be dancing on the grass and enjoying the breeze.

I wish you could take a break, Mikey. It’s such a beautiful day, and the air is sweet with the scent of the flowers.

And a vibrantly colorful day it was. However, all those beautiful, happy colors of the flowers fast-forwarded into the Spring Semester, and melted into a painful scorn; over hundreds of people laughing and pointing mocking fingers. As Michael looked up from his pink paint-coated body, he saw his old roommate also grinning as stuffed animals seemed to rain down from the sky. His smile faded slightly as he looked down at the floor, and stepped back, vanishing into the dark. A camera clicked just as Michael could hear his name being called out.

“Mike, I’ve been calling your name for a while now,” James was exhausted, “What’s going on?”

Michael snapped back into reality. He had experienced a flashback of his college days. Trying hard not to let a tear escape his eye, he looked up at James.

“Just, memories, Sulley,” Michael answered , “Personal things, really. It’s no big deal.”

Michael stood up and walked over to Celia. He took Mariko from her, and handed her to James, who smiled at the girl as she tried to embrace him.

“Thanks for saving her life,” Michael thanked Celia.

“No problem,” Celia smiled, “I’ll be going back to my desk now.”

Celia waved good bye to everyone, including Mariko. As she left, Roz dialed a number on her phone again and said, “Bring me a door shredder.”

James’ smile faded into shock. “You mean I never get to see her again?!”

“That’s the way it has to be,” Roz answered sternly, “You have 15 minutes to bid her farewell.”

James set down Mariko on the floor. She waddled her way towards Michael, and gave him a hug.

“I’ll miss ya’,” Michael smiled, trying to hold back from tearing up, “Go on, grow up.”

James brought Mariko to her room. At the sight, the girl was so happy, she started running around her room and taking in the flowery pink wallpapers and the many toys that littered her floor. It was so good to be back home!

“Well, here we are,” James sighed.

Mariko giggled as she ran and bounced around. She picked up some toys from her floor, including a pink blanket, a flower mobile, a cowgirl with red yarn hair, and a plush clownfish doll. She handed her toy pile to James, as if she wanted him to have a souvenir of her world for him to remember her by.

“Boo-chan, why are you?—” James was about to speak, but stopped himself.

The beastly man was amused by the girl’s antics. She then tucked herself into the small bed, pulling her chrysanthemum-themed comforter over her small body. Looking around, James spotted a pair of plush dolls with anime eyes laying by the side of the bed. One had blue hair in shape of a cloud and a lavender/indigo striped full-length dress, and the other had yellow hair in a lightning shaped ponytail and wore a green t-shirt with a orange letter “L” and yellow leggings. He picked them up and handed them to Mariko, who cuddled both of them tightly in her little arms.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye,” James told Mariko.

As he stood up to leave, James heard the call of “Kitty!” He turned his attention back to the girl, surprised at what he just heard.

All this time, Mariko was only capable of babbling, and only about two or three basic Japanese words. However, James was not imagining things; he had just actually heard her say “Kitty” in his own language. The two had formed a bond, thus they were able to understand each other, no matter what language they spoke.

James kneeled down by her bedside again, and wrapped his strong arms around her, saying “Kitty has to go now”, which to Mariko’s ears would have been “Neko-chan ima ikanakereba naranai”. A tear rolled down his cheek again as he stroked her pigtails. After a few minutes, he let go, and stood up, walking his way back to the white door with the flowers. He took one last look at her and said, “Goodbye, Boo-chan.”

James opened the door, and left the room. He gently closed it, pressed the “Power-off” button on the keypad, and folded his hands as he looked down at the carpeting. On the other side, however, Mariko jumped out of her bed and opened her closet, exclaiming “Boo!”, only to be met with the sight of her pink clothes on her hangers, along with shoes and other toys. She waved her arms around, wondering if her friend was still there.

James threw his arms around Michael again, crying fountains of tears as he watched the white door being fed through the shredder; the pink and lavender flowers being the first to be obliterated in the process. Michael patted his friend’s back for comfort as they watched the portal be reduced to nothing more than shreds of wood to be used for fireplace warmth or a summer barbecue.

“At least she’s safe, right?” James asked, his voice shaking.

“She is,” answered Michael, “She is home, right where she belongs, in the Realm of the Sun.”

James turned up a small smile, and patted Michael’s forehead. Michael, however, although assured of the safety of Mariko, could not smile at his friend’s caring gesture because his heart was plagued with insecurity, doubt, and various memories of his early college days. He just looked down at the floor, pondering.

So much guilt and shame, Michael told himself, Maybe we truly are the monsters children perceive us to be; we have done something much worse and more regrettable than a silly little college prank. We may have killed someone who did not deserve it. Sure, he should have received disciplinary action, but not this.

After the doorknob was spat out of the machine, Roz assembled her agents together, and gave Michael and James pairs of ultra-polarized sunglasses.

“You’re gonna need these,” Roz advised, “I’ll be giving a pair to Waternoose so he’ll be aware of exactly what he’s done. We’ve got an entire city to neuralize.”

Michael and James put on their sunglasses, and so did Roz. She then proceeded out of the Energy Floor with her team of CDA agents, all holding metal sticks with flash emitters in their hands.

I guess it’s good that she gave us these glasses, Michael pondered, Now people won’t see my shame. But probably Sulley knows it already.

It was the late afternoon, and the golden sun was beginning to set below the cotton candy clouds. Michael and James stood outside the building, right in front of the entrance, along with a crowd of workers, all in shock and sadness at the fact that the company was without a CEO now. The future seemed all but bleak for M. Energy Incorporated.

“We are so going under,” one worker commented.

“Let’s prepare to go back to the Dark Ages,” George remarked.

All the workers decide to walk across the street, leaving the facility. Michael started going off on his path, but James did not even move one foot.

“Well, I guess you could say we put the company out of business,” Michael started, “but hey, Sulley, at least we had ourselves some good laughs.”

James only watched as Michael crossed the street, almost as if he we walking off into the sunset’s golden glow. He thought to himself, until Michael’s words seemed to cut through his deep thought.

“Laughs…” James’ eyes widened as if he just had an epiphany. He ran back inside the building, and found Roz strolling her way to clean out her office. However, her attention was caught by the sight of James dashing towards her, almost out of breath.

“Roz, I need to tell you something important!” James exclaimed.

“What is it, Sullivan?” Roz inquired.

“I think I know how we can save the company and solve the energy crisis,” James blurted out, “You see, when the girl was in my possession, I noticed something about her every time she was happy or amused.”

“What are you talking about?” Roz was confused, “What about her happiness?”

“It’s just that,” James took the time to explain, “Whenever she giggled or laughed, the lights would glow brighter than normal, and sometime even explode if her laughter was hard and loud.”

At that moment, Roz dropped her clipboard and pen to the floor. Her eyes widened and her mouth formed into a smile bigger than a crocodile’s. She fell to her knees, shaking not out of shock, but out of relief and excitement.

“Oh Sweet Monsters Above!” Roz exclaimed, “Lux Nova has been revealed!”

Roz and James left together, walking through the main hall. It was now the dawn of a new era, with a new source of power, and new light.

“Eye on it, I’ve got my eye on it!”

Michael’s body was now a radiant white silhouette, and his green hair shined as he initiated his transformation, which was accompanied by a hip-hop techno dance beat. He was swept through a lime green vortex filled with floating eyeballs and sent flying in various directions before the camera focused in on his face; his bangs fluttering and revealing his two eyes, which were then fused as one. The camera then zooms out again as a green light bubble emerged from his hair and enveloped his torso. His limbs turned scrawny, yet smooth and green-skinned, fingers became four on each hand, and toes reduced to three on each foot, short claws extending from his digits, and his short horns becoming slightly more prominent as his hair disappeared into his green head. The sequence finished off with a spectacular light bubble exploding into green flames as a voice called out, “The monstrous vision in green, Michael Wazowski!”

On Earth, a boy was sleeping in his bedroom, as the light of a now waning gibbous moon shone through his window. The scene was serene and tranquil as a gentle breeze blew the curtains, when an imposing, round figure with short horns loomed over him, casing a black shadow over the bed. The sound of the figure rising caused the boy to sit up on his bed and look around, catching sight of a large, round green being with a single cyclopic eye, two short horns, and baring his teeth as he raised a microphone to his green lips. The boy turned on his light to get a better view of the creature.

“Hello, is this thing on? Ok, it’s working.”

Michael had entered the boy’s room, sitting on a wooden stool as he began to tell a joke.

“So, here I am, live from your bedroom!” Michael started off, “so tell me sport, what’s your name?”

As Michael held out the microphone, the boy was left speechless and confused.

“Ok, so you know, I used to play a lot of dodgeball back when I was your age, and in school,” Michael continued, “Except, you know, I was, the ball…come on, these are the jokes, kid.”

The boy was still baffled, trying to understand what was so funny about what the green creature was trying to say about his school days. He was about to rest his head back on the pillow, until Michael spoke, “Ah, I guess I’m going to have to try this.”

Michael swallowed the microphone he was holding, and performed a backflip on the stool. He then squatted on the stool, feeling something bubbling up his throat. And at that very moment, Michael suddenly burped out the microphone, the feedback resonating from his body as he struck a pose on the stool.

“How’d you like that?” Michael asked.

The boy was left laughing uncontrollably in his bed and flailing his arms around in his fit of hilarity. Michael smiled, knowing that it was a job well done.

“Well, I’m glad that made you laugh,” Michael took his stool and microphone as he headed for the door, “Thank you very much; I’ll be here all week!”

M. Energy Incorporated had a new agenda. Apparently, while Mariko’s visit to this world may have caused much panic and hysteria, something good came out of it too; the discovery of laughter, and the amount power it produced. As Michael returned from a closet, he watched the red bar on the giant canister shoot up to its fullest.

“Who knew laughter could be ten times as powerful as screams?” James asked, now wearing an orange-striped tie and holding a clipboard.

Michael smiled, knowing his comedic talents were now being put to a beneficial use. Jeffrey passed by, trying on a three-lens, double nose set of joke glasses. As Michael and James conversed, their chatter was suddenly interrupted by the sound of “Googly Bear!”

“Shmoopsie-Poo!” Michael whipped around and caught sight of his girlfriend, who was clothed in a fancy green blouse adorned with a ruffled cravat, and a full pleated skirt complete her ensemble. She held a cardboard box in her hands as a soft pink background appeared behind her, completed with pastel circles and sparkles floating around randomly. Immediately, Michael reverted back to his humanoid form, and rushed up to Celia, who swooped him passionately as their lips locked. Her purple tresses fell against his face, making him giggle.

“Are you ready for a surprise?” Celia asked, brushing her hair back.

“I love surprises!” Michael exclaimed.

Celia opened the cardboard box revealing a stack of magazines titled Business Shriek. The headline on them read “M. ENERGY INCORPORATED BACK ON TOP!”, and a subtitle read “Giggle Guru: James P. Sullivan, CEO”. The image on the cover feature James with Michael standing right next to him, the latter having his face covered by a barcode.

“I don’t believe it!” Michael was in awe of the magazine.

“Oh, Googly-Bear,” Celia sighed, resting a hand on Michael’s shoulder.

“I’m on the COVER OF A MAGAZINE!!!” Michael exclaimed, holding up the magazine, “Sulley, check it out!”

James smiled as he looked at the magazines. All across the Energy Floor, monsters who formerly scared children were now practicing various comedy acts, ranging from chattering teeth to spinning plates on poles, and even watermelon smashing. Some monsters returned from their closet doors with gifts from the children; a boy with aqua-colored hair and blue pajamas gave George Sanderson a basket of socks, and Thaddeus Bile now owned a soccer ball and jax. A banner that read “Think Funny” adorned a wall, and the “Children Scared” display now read “Children Amused”. A “Joke of the Day” was even shown on the leaderboard.

“You know Sulley,” started off Michael, “I’ve got an even bigger surprise waiting for you.”

“What’s that?” James’ curiosity was aroused.

“Just follow me,” Michael advised, “But you must close your eyes until we get there.”

Michael took James by his hand, and led him down the main hallway.

After a while, the pair got to a room, where Michael let go of James’ hand.

“Ok, can I look yet?” James asked.

“Not yet, just keep your eyes closed,” Michael told him, “and follow the sultry sound of my voice.”

Trying to be guided by ear, James followed Michael’s steps. He continued to do so until he heard “Stop! Now open your eyes.” James did as he was told, and right before his piercing sapphire eyes which widened with awe, stood Mariko’s door, rebuilt from scratch. It was not as pristine as when it was originally built, but it was worth the effort to reconstruct it.

“Ta-da,” Michael announced, showing his bandaged hands, “It was a lot of wood to go through, but you know, it only works if you have every piece.”

James looked at his clipboard seeing the drawing Mariko made of herself with his shapeshifted form by her side. He flipped over the piece of paper, revealing the piece of wood he had saved from the shredding. Gently, he untaped it from the clipboard, and slowly inserted it into a small chip in the door. Almost immediately, the red light on the door frame lit up.

“Go ahead,” Michael smiled.

James smiled back. Feeling a mix of anticipation and joy inside, he reached for the doorknob, and turned it open. He peeked inside, laying eyes on the pink-wallpapered room, which was now illuminated by the morning rays of Earth’s sun. Looking around , he then softly whispered, “Boo?”

A few seconds passed by, until the voice of a little girl answered back.

“Kitty.”

And with that, James smiled.

[i]And both worlds went “Awwwwwwwwww!!!”

Guess what? That’s not the end of it! There’s still an Epilogue EXCLUSIVE only to this fanfiction, so hang on for that one too.

Cameos featured in this chapter:

[spoiler]Roz references the song “Paper Tigers” by Christian artist Jaci Velasquez. The chapter title itself also refers to said song.

When Michael transforms, the song “Eye On It” by TobyMac is playing. The chorus line is also his transformation call phrase.

Of course, the totally obvious Jessie and Nemo dolls had to be there. And speaking of dolls…

When James tucks Mariko into bed, the dolls he hands her are supposed to be anime-styled versions of Thunder and Lightning from “Pajama Sam”.

Sam himself also makes a subtle appearance as the boy who gives George Sanderson a basket of socks. This is a reference to the first game, since one of the side quests involves finding Sam’s socks scattered in the world of his closet.[/i][/spoiler]

Aww this turned out so so wonderfully! My mind is indeed blown X3 And yay I love that TobyMac song! All in all I absolutely adored this chapter of this awesome fanfic :slight_smile:

Finally, I have returned! And a late thanks to OWP, for enjoying my mind-blowing final chapter.

However, the long-awaited Epilogue is finally here!!! And for once, EVERYBODY! Doctor Who quoting time

Epilogue

“Excuse, me, but, did you call us to report a ‘strange creature’ on your premises?”

A group of policemen stood outside an old trailer home, and a mother and son opened up their door. Both of them had looks of shock written on their faces.

“You called us, what happened?” One of the policemen asked.

“We thought there was a gator in here!” the mother shouted in a heavy southern accent, “But then, it turned out to be purple, and it vanished before our very eyes as we were tryin’ to kill it, just like them alien movies! Don’t know if it’s still in here.”

The policemen looked around, finding nothing in sight, and nothing they stepped on seemed to make any sudden movements. They did notice, however, that the back door was broken, and there were also footprints resembling that of a gecko, and made of fresh blood. The mother took a flashlight, and discovered that the bloodied tracks led outside her broken door and through the grass.

“If the animal can’t be found or it bled to death, it should be none of your problem anymore, ma’am,” the head officer told her, “We can, however, tell you to call a repairman to fix your door.”

The mother and son stayed inside, nailing boards where the back door used to be. Outside, the fresh tracks led through the grass and into a forest; the camera panning over a sign that read “Moonflower Bog”.

Right in the middle of the forest was a small pond, the reflection of a waning gibbous moon being the dominant light source, surrounded by various budding lavender and moonflowers; their violet tints enhanced by the moonlight. A pile of torn purple clothes lay on the rocks as the moon’s reflection rippled in the water, as if something set foot in the peaceful, still pond.

A long form, adorned with scales that gleamed like violet and aqua jewels, graced the peaceful water; it’s tail uncoiling and floating freely, as well as its fronds lightly bouncing as it swam along. The sound of small splashes could be heard as gecko fingers and toes paddled the crystal surface of the pond. The reptilian figure swirled upright as it swept some water over its lizard-snout head and fronds; blood disappearing and wounds healing in glowing bright lights as it hissed towards the stars; its serpentine tongue billowing as a blue silk ribbon.

Randall had survived. As you can probably infer, my readers, he used the last scintilla of strength he had in him to turn invisible and escape the trailer, and now in this secluded pond, has discovered that he too has the power of self-healing. Even though his injuries were healed, the emotional pain would not subside. He felt as if his heart was made of thin glass, having been shattered a thousand times, and put back together a thousand times. Would it be broken another thousand more times before he would finally give up? Not that he was not already broken, but still.

It did not matter now, however. Not when he was stranded on a planet familiar to him and his people, yet foreign in that he does not belong in it. What was an unearthly-looking, reptilian-based creature like Randall to do trapped on Earth? The answer to that question is actually very simple; home is just a turn of a doorknob away, and all he needs to do is seek out and sense an active portal, even if he has to travel miles to find a single one. He would do it. He will do it.

As of right now, however, Randall could only lay low, in this peaceful pond, and take a moment to forget about it all, and just relax. No Wazowski. No Sullivan. No Waternoose. Nothing. Just the soothing feeling of the warm pond water, and the fragrance of the surrounding moonflowers and lavender. Under the twinkling night sky, he appeared as an amethyst bathed in pure moonlight; peacefully coiled up against the mauve-hued flowers brushing against his sensitive, smooth-scaled back.

Most importantly, there was No Sullivan. Only the beautiful scenery to comfort the lacertilian life form. That in itself, if only for a moment, was a silver thread in the midst of this unfortunate exile.

Did you love that? If so, do you also want bloopers? Because I might consider making some of those too! :smiley: Thank you to everyone who enjoyed reading this work.

Very nice finale! It’ll definitely be exciting to see wherever the story goes in this awesome world you’ve created :slight_smile: