Mitch's "Tails"

Good luck.
As for the question a little while earlier, I’d like to hear the rest of your version of the film and the story you thought of based off of the actual film. (The varietion of your version that you mentioned at the beginning of this topic sounds interesting too. If you ever wrote any of it, I’d love to read it).
It’s interesting to compair what you wrote to the actual film.

MiniChuchan - Thank you very much. Perhaps I shall attempt to reconstruct/write out the entire version of the real story of Ratatouille in the future. :wink:

Udpate:: It has been too long…

Yes, it is true: I finally finished composing chapter ten (or, part of it anyway)! What you see below is the first part of the tenth chapter in my Ratatouille tale. I quite enjoyed spilling it out onto the screen, I’ll tell you that right now. Needless to say, I am extremely thankful for my vast knowledge of the English vocabulary (and for the wonderful thesaurus, as well). Eheheh. :wink:

Here, presented to you all, is part un of chapter des:

[b]CHAPTER DES: A RECIPE FOR DISASTER[/b]

A miniature clock, tenderly positioned on a hand-carved bedside table, chimed the hour in a shrill fashion. A young woman snapped her eyes open in an instant, yet chose to ignore the erumpant calls of the tick-tocker beside her. Nevertheless, the young clock continued its ceaseless cry; it seemed to be positively annoyed that any decent chef should sleep in, especially on a Saturday. And so, determined, it raised its voice to an ear-splitting whistle -- it was a whistle so loud, in fact, that even the French bulldogs who resided in the daisy-scented quarters next to the young woman's house began to bark and whine in reply. Unable to contain her anger any longer, the hard-headed French mistress rolled over onto her stomach and indignantly pressed her feather-down pillow close to her throbbing ears. However, this barely dented the situation, but instead seemed to cause the clock to whistle even louder.

"Fling" went the poor clock! A venemous glare shot from the eyes of the young woman, coupled with a rather murderous and self-satisfied smile that didn't match that of the dead tick-tocker in a nearby corner. A few springs protuded from the nonexistant contraption like broken bones -- the hands of the hour and minute would breath no more. 

Muttering unsanitary, scurrilous mumblings under her breath, the now seemingly peaceful woman made to extract a broom from a rather untidy and perfume-tinted coat closet. After shuffling the last, pitiful remains of the clock from the carpeted floor to a midnight-painted wastebasket, the woman replaced the broom, adorned a pair of fluffy purple slippers, and went to tidy up her bed in a haphazard fashion before shifting her attention to a long window that nearly kissed the ceiling. Blinking the glare of the morning sun out of her eyes, Colette carefully let loose the doors that kept any wind or intruders from trespassing through the window frame and into her cozy residence. It was a peaceful, albeit breezy, morning in Paris that day. A pair of woodpeckers danced their way across the sky and into a nearby tree that was tinged with autumn leaves, both male and female playing away at the bark of their landing with much effort. Light and tender, a honey-scented wind whispered through the town and into Colette's short cut, velvet hair; she pushed her parellel bangs back in reply before abandoning the window for a bag of French roast coffee grounds in the kitchen....

Forty-seven minutes later, a pearly white chef's suit fitted snuggly on her delicate body and a light-weight purse hanging from her left shoulder, Colette locked the front door of her home, went over to her garage lock and typed in the correct password, extracted a black motorcycle from the interior of the garage, and rode off toward the destination she always headed for at 7:00 AM in the morning: [i]Gusteau's![/i] restaurant. 

The gentle wind whipped back her hair ever so slightly, as if it was attempting to make it perform a soft ballet in mid-air. Far from disregarding the fanning sensation as disturbing, Colette let herself fall into the harmonizing clutches of the breeze, allowing her still drowsy eyes to close for but a moment in utter enjoyment. Despite having to wake up quite early every sunsrise, she had to admit that a whispy dose of fresh wind in the morning was rather relaxing. Her mind was temporarily dispatched from the wind by a couple of fall leaves blowing along the dusty sidewalk below and beside her; their demonstration of a rather uncoordinated tango was awkwardly amusing to watch. In the distance, the pair of woodpeckers played a gentle staccato to passery-by; it caught Colette's ears, as well. Nevertheless, Colette remembered to keep her eyes on the road a good percentage of the time, no matter what the circumstances. 

Bumping along the cobbled street -- La Rouge Street -- was slightly unsettling, but it didn't matter; the seat of the Callahan motorcycle under which Colette sat was most comfortable, so much so that it almost reduced the rollercoaster-like bumps of the street to a mere, smooth skate on an ice rink. Colette smiled fondly at the two-wheeled racer. It was a most luxurious contraption -- with a good engine, a leather seat, and a lion-hearted demeanor, it had never failed to carry its mistress to whatever destination was in her sights. The handlebars carried with it a grip that felt sturdy and comforting to the touch, and its engine's garrulous, agrestal roar was enough to make any other cyclist scurry away in fright.  Colette reved up the engine as she reminisced of all these facts the previous owner of the motorcyle had told her, scaring away a trio of street mice in the process. Her thoughts soon raced back to her destination, however. Just a few more miles and she would be walking through those highly-polished, oak-encrusted back doors of restaurant [i]Gusteau's![/i], tending to another stomach-rumbling crowd of customers and Linguini's clumsy madness. Impatiently, she choked the gas peddle....

Enjoy it, you fools. (snigger)

– Mitch

Oh, fanstastic. Thank you for posting this new chapter. I’m really looking forward to the next part :slight_smile:, it took awhile but I think you did a very good job .

MiniChuchan - Thank you very much, MiniChuchan! I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Haha. It’s funny how once I post up a new chapter…nobody reads it. :laughing:

– Mitch

Hey! I’m reading it now, lol. I haven’t had time lately, and I wasn’t sure whether or not you were continuing it.

FONY - Ohhh… Okie-day then. Heheh. Yeah, I haven’t had much time myself to complete any fanction-related work, but I finally had a chance to continue on with the tale and I grabbed it…

– Mitch

Oh, this story is still alive? :open_mouth: :laughing:

Lol, just messin’ with ya. ;-p I’m gonna start reading it now, it’s been one heck of a day for me… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Maggie - Haha. Yeah, I really shouldn’t have abandoned this story for as long as I did, but that’s the way the rock rolls. Thank you for reading it, in any case. I hope you found it to your liking. :wink:

– Mitch

Forgot to reply- I read it and I liked it. ^^ I still really envy your style of writing, and your ability to capture the characters. I look forward to reading more. :slight_smile:

FONY - Thank you very much! I’ll do my best to keep the story updated…

Your writing is fine, by the way. In fact, it’s quite beautiful. Don’t put yourself down so much! Heheh. :wink:

– Mitch

Update:

Due to the immense load of work I now heave across the realms of school, production on this particular story, Ratatouille, will henceforth be put on hold until early next year.

I hate having to cease “publication”. On the other hand, I also hate to see bad grades. :stuck_out_tongue:

– Mitch

Aww, that is okay Mitch. We’ll keep checking and waiting until you get that time to work and update it again.

The Star Swordsman - Heheh. Thanks, dude. As soon as I have some free time to write I’ll get back to the drawing board. :wink:

– Mitch

Yeah school has a way of stifling the creative flow (or least making less time for it) but no worries, I still havent read the last chapter you posted!

lennonluvr9 - Heheh. Yes, indeed. Studies, a constant workload, and a job sure do take a lot out of a person. I’ll be sure to get back into the art of writing as soon as I have the time to compose a paragraph or two onto a piece of paper (or the computer screen), though. :wink:

Take your time with the chapters, by the way. No worries. :slight_smile:

– Mitch

Well, first I must say, fantabulous work, madame. It’s awesome to see how you interpreted things before the movie came out.

Second, a little bit of concrit: actually, don’t worry about perusing the thesaurus. Brevity is the soul of wit, as they say, and an army of adjectives can weigh down a story. Which is not to say looking through a thesaurus is bad, since sometimes it’s necessary if you feel you’ve used a word too many times or are being redundant, but not for everything, because sometimes simple is good. Like, “midnight-painted”. I think you could just say “black” there, especially in describing a wastebasket. Just don’t fall into the harlequin-romance-novel-y trap of “orbs” instead of “eyes” and stuff like that. Which you haven’t, but y’know.

That’s just an anal nitpicky thing. Your writing’s totally awesome – that last chapter with Colette could practically be a fic on its own. I love those little slice-of-life vignettes, where there’s not really any action going on but you get a look at the inner workings of the characters’ minds.

kageri - First of all, I can’t neglect to say that you should write a story, dude. Your vocabulary and uncanny way of inserting a bit of wit into almost everything is most intriguing. I like it. Heheh. :wink:

Secondly, I thank you very much for both the comments and critique! The latter, especially, is most appreciated. Truth be told, you’re not the only one who has warned me of taking an overdose of “thesaurutheesis” (thesauri? ha…) adjectives and the like. I’m constantly striving to learn new words and apply them to everyday life, but I see what you (and others) mean in that I kinda…tip the bucket a little too far over sometimes. I must…cut…back…on…the words…! :stuck_out_tongue: (snigger)

Again, thank you for the compliments and such. I love to write and would do it more if I had the time, but blast these clocks – I don’t have enough seconds to fill in the capsules! extracts a hammer…

– Mitch

You’re very welcome! And daw, thanks! Perhaps eventually I’ll post those drabbles I wrote a little while back for that 100 themes thing. Except I didn’t write 100 and they’re not as wordy as I usually like to be since, y’know, only 100 words each. It’s a CHALLEEEEENGE!

Yeah, you obviously have an impressive vocabulary already – when I write I just write what comes to mind and go back later and fix it if I overused a word or something, which I tend to do and am very anal about. “What?! That sentence has two words ending in -ing! It makes them kind of rhyme! IT DISRUPTS THE FLOW, I MUST FIX THIS!” and so on.

Hah, I feel ya on the “learning new words” thing. I always hear cool words and am like “That word is awesome! I must use it sometime!” but always forget them. So I write them down. I have a notepad file of my favorite words. I’m weird. And I feel ya on the lack of time! For me it’s usually a lack of inspiration. So when I get into a new fandom I go on a creative frenzy because the inspiration could leave me at any moment! Definitely keep writing, though. Your interpretations of the characters are wonderful. The aforementioned Colette chapter… it’s so… Colette!

But yeah, sometimes the first thing that comes to mind is the best. It’s like that Special Something that’s in a first pencil sketch. When it’s traced it looks cleaner and more polished but it loses some of the spontaneity.

…did I just make an art analogy in a 300-word post about writing? Dear god. Can you tell I wasn’t good at sports as a small child?

kageri - Haha! Yeah, I feel ya’… And you’re welcome! :wink:

Pfff… (snigger)

I must be weird, too, because I do the exact same thing. And yeah, exactly. I’ll flip through the thesaurus just to find one or two words and end up glancing at ten others in the process… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah! Like you get this wonderful concotion of color into your brain and feel as if you have write it down immediately, otherwise you’re going to forget it. And then you forget it and the whole composition sucks… (snigger)

Again and again and again, thank you for ze compliments! I shall return to writing as soon as I find the time and the space and the freakin’ inspiration. Woah, I sound like Linguini…

“We were just talking about my inspiration.”

(snigger)

– Mitch

Hi, Mitch!
I have so many things to say about your writing… Where to start!?
Well, I’ve just gone through all 10 pages of this post, scanning for your chapters, then quickly reading them (I would do it at a more leisurely pace, but you’ve written a lot, girl!). I read your chapters from before the movie came out, about your period of creative deprivation (which I totally understand and I’m glad you’re over it), and then your newest Colette chapter, the only one written after the release of the movie.

And you have always been so good about reviewing my stories, I can’t believe I haven’t done so until now. Sorry! But in defense of myself – again, you’ve written a lot!

So let me start…

So that was a quote by you when you were explaining your ideas about all your characters. And, no offense, but WOW you were off about Colette being all cheerful! hehe. I just found that sort of interesting. But I will say, that the second sentence of that is quite reminiscent of the movie, because like you said, she does have an element of mystery. So Colette is much more cynical and more of a realist than you made her out to be, but I like you early version. The way you have her putting on a happy face for the show which is the restaurant, then you have her go wherever she goes at midnight, and you have her forgotten dreams about life in Manhattan — this is all so romantic! You could write an alternate universe Colette fic! hehe!

So yeah, I’m putting a lot of emphasis on Colette again, like I always do, but I can’t help it! I feel the character. I friggin’ am that character! haha. But it seems like you are the same way about Remy, yes? Which brings me to my next point.

I love how you write Remy. It seems like it’s so natural for you. I guess that comes from understanding the character so well. Oh, and Genevieve is a precious original character. So brava!

I know my thoughts are scattered in this, but bear with me here… I’m tired. :smiley:

In your chapter where you introduced the chefs and the kitchen and Gusteau and Linguini, etc. I did not understand that coy little exchange between Linguini and Colette. What was the thing with the 8 euro, and then he gives her 20 euro or something, then he texts her saying “sucker”? I was completely lost on what just happened? I got a hint of Colette offering… something coughprostitutioncough for money… with the tugging of the shirt… WHAT?! the dialogue was adorable, but I was just lost… was there a sort of bet? or playful joke? Me=completely lost. Sorry, I’m not trying to bash your work, just trying to understand. Because I liked the whole gist of it. :slight_smile:

Anyway. I have to say that I loved your very last Colette fic. That, as some people have said, could be an independent story! It’s adorable. I love how you mapped out her morning routine. The smashing of the alarm clock was hilarious, yet understandable at the same time. Also very in character. All the descriptions were so, well, descriptive! They all inspired some great imagery. I really enjoyed reading it. Were it on FF.net, I’d favorite it! hehe. I understand that you’re busy – so am I. I don’t know what I’m doing here! – but I’d love to read more of your writing. So when you continue, I’ll check them out for sure.

Sheila