Monsters, Inc. 2 - What would you think?

nods I’m aware that it may suffer fate similar to Madagascar and it’s series. Unsure of IT’S popularity, but it’s the film-to-series that was on my mind.

But, to my knowledge, I don’t believe Pixar has actually DONE a series before. They may be able to pull it off. However, to do so…they’d probably need a seperate group of staff, in order to keep up with how they do well in their feature films.
I think the closest was Buzz Lightyear and Star Command. Though I think that was licensed by Disney, and they took the reigns, I think it WAS pretty popular.

If they did make a series, wouldn’t Pixar-Canada be in charge of it?

blinks Oh yeah…the short film subsidiary could do a series…

I am probably going to to see this on Sunday. Just curios anyone spot the Pizza Planet truck? If so let me know where to pay attention. :smiley:

The way MU expanded the universe, a sequel exploring the ramifications of the laugh energy changeover on the Monster World at large feels like it could get more interesting. Not only did Mike and Sulley’s actions shake up the energy business, they may have flushed so many college degrees down the toilet and got so many jobs lost, and scaring is such an embedded part of Monster culture that it would be incredibly difficult to make a transition.

For that matter, what if the CDA’s propaganda about humans being toxic is exposed as a sham designed to keep the worlds separate? What if we were to get a “first contact” type of story with the Monster World trying to forge more of a connection with the human one. Could even draw from the Monster history presented on the original’s DVD that the root of man and monster’s conflict is dated from the beginning of time and optimistic monsters thinking that laughter might be a way of bridging the gap while scarers might see working in the human horror film industry/haunted attraction a shot at work if they aren’t cut out for comedy.

I really love the implications of everything you’re saying here; it could make for a really awesome sequel to MI. The idea of the monster world being completely exposed to humans is also something exciting to me. They could bring back banished monsters (Like Loch Ness, I’d be so intrigued to see Pixar’s take on that!)and the stakes would be higher for the monster world. I also wonder a lot about what becomes of the idea of Scaring, since it was so upheld in MU obviously, it seems like this needs to be addressed!

After watching MU, I’m positively sure I want a sequel.

I’m also thinking in the ramifications of the laughing energy as an important plot point.

Oh, yes please. Set in the MI or MU world, either way, I’d be happy.

I like to compare MI with Ice Age. (Unlikely creatures trying to return a helpless child). And the Ice Age francise is just…ugh. I A d o r e the first one, and it was killed so hard.

I would hate for the same to happen to MI, that’s why I liked the prequel so much.

applauds FigmentJedi

Congrats FJ. Your at least the second person (at least on PP) to realize that things are NOT over in terms for the power industry in the Monster World.
You ARE correct. As I’ve been saying before, it’s not just Randall’s story that needs to be resolved, Sullivan and Wazowski’s aren’t over yet. What Sullivan did to the Scare Industry WILL have impacts, and they are NOT all positive.

That would be very interesting. I think a sequel, especially if directed by Docter, would have a lot of potential.

I prefer Dan Scanlon’s performance over Doctor for sequel material, in Pixar’s hands that is.

Why? I thought MU could have had more of the wit of the original. Though that may be due to the writing, not the director.

The direction of things went well, and I’ve seen Dan’s interaction with the cast…and his involvement on particular aspects require that his experience be involved with a large aspect of the sequel.

The writing…as said, technical judgements I can’t really make as I need to review the film again. Though I’m still a little irked at the “Jimmy Sullivan” bit. I mean his name is James Sullivan, not Jimmy. Know some have said Jimmy is a sorta nickname for James…but really…

I have so much confidence in Pete Docter, I’d love to see him direct the Monsters world again.

However, I was also extremely impressed by Scanlon. Either director returning to direct a Monsters sequel would be great.

I would however prefer shorts to a sequel, I see so much potential for shorts starring OK. And it’s always nice to see fresh faces direct the shorts.

Jimmy is a diminutive for James, not originally a given name per se. It has always been, and has been used by every other one, from Bond to Olsen.

I must say, I like how James Sullivan sounds. It has a certain ring to it. I guess Jimmy and Randy were just to hammer in that they were younger perhaps. I would really like to see Docter return to work with this universe.

Meh, I don’t really want another Monsters. I don’t mind the Party Central short though. :smiley:

I actually thought of an idea that would take place after MI.

Monsters Reunion