Monsters Inc. 2?

No other Pixar movie without a sequel (yet) has had as much buzz about a sequel in the works than this movie. Here is a current interview and the tiny tidbit of information that Pete Docter revealed:

filmschoolrejects.com/news/p … -neilm.php

And here is where filmschoolrejects got their info:

pixarplanet.com/blog/whats-next- … ters-inc-2

And here is where pixarplanet gots its info, which is the original source:

nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 … octer.html

He probably had established before the interview that he wasn’t going to say anything to the interviewer substantive at all about his next project, except that his time off was finished and he was getting ready to start something for 2013-2015. The way Docter repositioned his answer says so me that he is considering a MI2, probably has some stuff for it, but that it won’t be his next movie. By this time last year, Stanton had told everyone what the name of his next movie would be, and what story it was based on. Perhaps Mr. Docter wants to be sure that this is the next one before he commits to something in public.

The only way I could see a Monsters Inc. 2 working is if Mike and Sulley spend most of the movie in the real world with older Boo where they’re now hunted down and feared by humans whereas in the 1st one it was the monsters that feared them, and we already know that Pixar can manage doing crowds of human characters ever since they’ve developed their Universal Man model for The Incredibles. It’s really kind of obvious cause if you have another human in monster world then it’s just the same movie again, isn’t it?

Of course, it following Wazowski and Sullivan would make it the same movie again wouldn’t it?
However, I agree, the human world should be involved a bit more, and so should the realization, true as it is, that humans fear the unknown and if Monsters come through, they will be hunted and studied on (if they already aren’t).
In all honesty, humans and monsters, as a whole, can’t cope together without great trials. But…since it’s a movie :unamused: a “settle differrance” thing could come out of it. Actually that would be nice. It would also give a chance for Sullivan to “settle” some things himself, Wazowski too.

Yeah, the thing about how the 1st movie ended is that the monsters were now making things better for kids but if an adult were to find out about them they would naturally be quick to fear them and judge them for what they appear to be on the surface (vicious monsters), and what else would they do then except chase after them with torches and pitchforks to protect their children. Of course the kids that were visited by them already know they’re not evil but their parents wouldn’t be able to see them as anything more than a threat, just as Mike and Sulley originally could not see Boo as anything but toxic. It just seems like the logical way to go for a sequel, even if it sounds like a darker turn from the original story.

And even more so, IT MAKES SENSE. I mean humans are certainly not going to be all buddy-buddy with monsters, even if they’re making children laugh. And with how long it would take to make any kid laugh would be more than scareing, so risk CAN be higher.
And if humans start stopping Monsters from collecting power…then well…

Indeed. I feel that the villain of the sequel should be a human, for a change. It would do a really good job of pointing out how xenophobic parents are compared to their innocent offspring, who, in this universe, are beginning to realize that most monsters aren’t evil.

Sullivan was already a good example of what a guardian to a child would do if they thought their child was endanger. Even common sense is disbanded for the sole purpose of protecting. I can’t begin to imagine, if Boo’s parents did love her, which I for one think they did, what her real parents would do.

You know, I have wondered that myself. :confused: Only time will tell what the future holds.

sorry to just barge in here…but just wanted to say YES: exactly my view on the Sulley/Randall relationship, and it being more Randall and Mike who are the competitive rivals. You summed it up great!
No question in my mind Sulley would feel guilty about things, once everything had settled, I can’t ever imagine him feeling a sneaky sense of satisfaction about Randall’s disappearance.
If a sequel happens, I’d just love for these issues to be resolved somehow. You’re so right; there is a misunderstanding between Sulley and Randall, although Randall doesn’t help himself by acting the competitive jerk (I love him really!), but if they could reach a point of helping each other out somehow i’d be all for that.
Still hoping for a human “bad guy” for possible sequel too :wink:

Agreed, Lil Bandit. Monsters generally don’t seem to be as scary personality-wise in M.I. as some human adults are. On top of that, we never got introduced to an adult human in that franchise.

I would absolutely love to see Monsters Inc. revisited. My favorite movie of all time, is a 50/50 tossup between Toy Story and Monsters Inc.

i would LOVE to see Boo come into contact with “kitty” and Mike once more…Boo is such a precious character and the adoration shared by Sulley and Boo, would have to be rekindled. She wouldn’t have forgotten about them. But maybe one of the monsters would turn up missing, stranded in the human world. Or perhaps many humans would sneak into the monster world. Who knows, but an adventure should happen, and Boo should return alongside Mike and Sulley. I would be more than happy to see that.

Good point, SgtYayap! and now Pixar and their technology is so good at human character designs, it seems only natural they could introduce adults to the sequel…

DPA113; Definitely with you about a monster being stranded in the human world; I think it’s the perfect reversal of the first film. Can you imagine Sulley and Mike causing chaos in the human world? xD I always imagine a plot where the Monster World is in danger of being discovered by humans, so it’s Mike and Sulley to the rescue with others!

As a result of the original movie, there already IS a monster stranded in the Human World, several in fact, if we are to believe what Mike was talking about as he and Sulley approached the factory with a disguised human child in tow.

Out of all of Pixar’s human characters, I still consider Boo to be the most realistic, both in terms of her facial expressions and her proportions. Most of Pixar’s human characters since 2001 have been more cartoonish, with more exaggerated features. I also still stand by my assertion that the eyes of all the Monsters, Inc. characters were the most life-like and detailed of all of Pixar’s characters, human or not. For the most part, I’ve found that the eyes of their more-recent characters, in spite of the better technology that what they had in pre-2001, look rather “flat”. Everything about Boo is very consistent with a two-year-old child, right down the way her face starts to turn red right before she unleashes a “Terrible Two” tantrum following Mike snatching that stuffed “bear” away from her!

pitbulllady

And might I add, several that in fact WERE stranded and NOT in the legal, pfft legal, sense of “Banishment”. Take a look at AB for instance. Can you see THIS guy committing a felony? Sure he might have some traffic tickets, but HONESTLY?

Indeed. The Abominable Snowman does not strike me as a felon.

Pitbulllady: I completely agree that Boo was so realistic and very animated…all her emotions came across so well. However I do personally prefer the more stylised root they took (probably best used in the Incredibles) but that is just my own personal preference when it comes to animation; i like that cartoony look. I can see your point that this style might lose some of the emotional impact that’s obvious in a more realistic looking human.
If a Monsters Inc sequel was going to bring back Boo (I’m still not sure how I feel about that…) I think they’d obviously need to keep her as she appeared in the first movie, and by extension make sure the rest of the humans matched her style. She’d probably just look a bit smoother technically, rather like has happened with the Toy Story movies. You can see how much more detail the animators can put on these characters, but that doesn’t change their appearance overall.
Yeah i always felt very bad for the Abominable Snowman =( I would think he’d get at least a cameo in a sequel though, what with Pixar wanting to keep their mascot voice in each film!

And yes, if monsters do enter the human world it’s the perfect chance to bring back Randall!! Although as much as I would like him to have some sort of second chance, I can’t help but believe this is becoming more and more unlikely…I mean the latest ride at Disneyland in Tokyo seems to be emphasising his villainous role more than anything else…oh well, I’ve gotten to the point where I just want a sequel now, and I trust that Pixar would have a great story idea if they went ahead with it. =)

To do a story where Boo is older because it take place years later reminds me too much of Toy Story 3. You know: Oh look at Boo! She’s all grown up! They’d have to come up with a pretty fine story for me to be interested in MI2.

Same here, 1986. Boo being older would have once been a good idea, right up until Toy Story 3 started becoming confirmed. On top of that, the recent M.I.-related developments don’t seem to be that original. :confused:

Yeah, you’re right. To have Boo grown up, and changed would resemble Toy Story 3 too much…(sorry but that sounds like the typical Disney sequels they’ve been pushing lately-for two different stories to resemble eachother…)

Perhaps, the sequel could pick up exactly where the first ended…Sulley peeking through the door and hearing Boo.

Also, maybe some of the banished monsters could return to Monstropolis, but somehow Monstropolis’ existence would be threatened.

I kinda dislike the idea of them keeping her the same in the first movie. A whole year has passed regardless. It’s unknown if she had one of those growth spurts or had done a small bit of growing up in the thought sense.

Oh yes, UNLIKE EVERY OTHER SUPPOSED “VILLAIN”…Randall’s the one being dragged through the dirt more than anybody else…

As for time…making the story take place so many years after.
Well while it might be interesting to see Wazowski and Celia handle their own kids, and Boo when she’s grown up allot, I doubt Sullivan would survive so long being CEO, as he has no experience in the matter himself…

As for the monster world being threatened…that is a viable idea. After, a monster’s greatest threat is humans. I seriously doubt Sullivan’s “discovery of there being no toxins” with humans is going along swimmingly with the Monster World as a whole, and many ARE still wary, as they SHOULD be.

Not to mention the change from Scream, a tradition, to Laughter. Many monsters would dislike, or even detest, this switch. And guess who has to deal with it?..Poor Sullivan.