My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

IV: Some fans think Mare Do Well also spoofed Darkwing Duck. Just search 'em on YouTube, there’s tons of mash-ups! :smiley: Would you recommend Batman: TAS? I think I watched it as a kid and was terrified of a few episodes. Probably appreciate its dark nature now as an adult.

I haven’t seen EG either, but that’s 'cos I’m holding out for a cinema release in Singapore to go support it. I could technically watch a bootleg copy or order the DVD from Amazon. I was even tempted to buy it at Bronycon, but it was sold out when I returned to the booth the next day. Good thing too, dunno whether the region code would’ve worked back home.

What is it about AJ annoys you, out of curiousity? I was seriously annoyed by Dash’s arrogance too, but she seems to be learning. I absolutely love that moment where she goes easy on Fluttershy and actually tries to comfort her in Hurricane Fluttershy. You can see she’s developing her empathy, and I love when characters evolve and change their nature across the seasons. It really feels like you’re growing along with them, and it’s utterly refreshing compared to “Everything back to status quo” shows like Family Guy or The Simpsons, where the characters never learn their lessons or change.

OWP: Lemme ask you a question: Is Rainbow Dash Best Pony? :slight_smile:

If not, who’s your Best Pony? Haha.

I hated the idea of EG at first, because they squandered the opportunity to go with an epic fantasy storyline in lieu of a boring high-school drama. But then I saw some people who actually love it (I don’t know if they were being sarcastic or in jest, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt), and now I’m willing to give it a go, if just for completionist sake.

Besides, one of my mantras is don’t hate something till you try it. I cringed when I found out these teenagers and adults love MLP: FIM, and then I gave it a shot and ended up loving it! So hopefully the same thing will happen with EG for me.

At the very worst, I could always invoke fanon discontinuity. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I didn’t know that about Darkwing Duck! But the Mare Do Well posters are replicas of the Batman:TAS promo posters! I would definitely recommend it, its in my top 3 shows easily. I dislike that AJ never has the lessons at the end; she remarked in one episode “But, I already knew that!” I know it’s a joke, but it seems insincere to me; everyone can improve. And she reminds me of some very annoying people who live in my state. Even Rainbow Dash shows improvement, as you mentioned. I don’t dislike an of them, I just have my preferences. I’m still giving EG a chance, I’m just taking my time, as I’m still cautious about it. 8D

WeLoveFine actually made a shirt about that! :wink:

As for annoying people, well, yeah, I suppose you have good eggs and bad hats in every community. Or is that good hats and bad eggs?

Anyway, I think AJ embodies the positive aspects of the can-do attitude and friendliness of cowboys… though she’s not particularly sympathetic towards zebras or buffaloes initially, haha. Good thing she (and especially Applebloom) become friends with everyone in the end.

I need to see those Mare Do Well posters in the episode again, but that’s a very interesting find! I’m sooo impatient with Hasbro Singapore, one member of a local brony group asked a representative if the film is ever getting a release and he got a yes. But so far, no news. :frowning:

Anyway, have some funnies. Congrats again, Frootershai! You’re awesome, yay.

/casually shows up

I’m not at all surprised Fluttershy got chosen as fan favourite. She’s my favourite too. :stuck_out_tongue: Along with Pinkie.

But I’m afraid I can’t really say much else, since I don’t watch the show a lot! I sometimes see it on TV but that happens sporadically… all in all, I’m much too occupied with Viva Piñata which I wish was more popular than it is now. |D

MLP isn’t my favorite either. I like the Avatar series’, Batman and Gargoyles more. But I still watch MLP.

Badger: Ohmygawsh, youse a Flootershai fan too? :smiley: Squeeee

I hope you’re not spoiling yourself by watching MLP intermittently. There are some critical episodes (or what I call “character milestones”) that are pivotal to some ponies, usually the Mane Six. Like Wonderbolts Academy. Or any of the season finales, which usually involves Twilight.

I’m not sure if that’s the same thing with me for Viva Pinata. I reckon it is a “everything back to status quo” show, much like The Simpsons or Family Guy or CSI. But if there’s an arc for some characters like Fergie or Horstachio, I hope I don’t ruin it by hopping around! :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as I know, VP has been cancelled? Are there any plans to resurrect it?

IV: I really really really need to watch Avatar, seeing how excited you are for the new season for Korra.

I remember watching Batman and Gargoyles as a kid and not understanding the episodes. In fact, I was terrified by a few of them! :slight_smile:

One of my favourite experiences as a fan of MLP: FIM is the fandom. Of course, every fandom has its bad hats, and there are a few I’ve encountered who are even bigger ***holes than the ones in Pixar’s. But the majority of bronies (or pegasisters, or “fans of the show”) are good people. I’ve been fortunate to meet one of them IRL at Bronycon, and it was great to hang out and talk about not just about candy-coloured equines, but also our shared life experiences.

And, of course, there’s the fanart. MLP: FIM has the most number of cutest, darkest, craziest, silliest fanart I’ve ever come across in my life. I mean, I’m sure there’s some crack Doctor Who shippings, a few Pixar trailer mash-ups and some saucy Dragonball Z erotica, but the scale and diversity in FIM’s is unprecedented. What other fandom has people making plushies of OCs, or coding entire fighting videogames, or organising nationwide conventions in which you invite the actual voice actors of the show?

And this is one which is barely three years old. Not decades-long communities like the Trekkies or Whoovians.

I dunno. Maybe if I wandered more in other fandoms, I’d think the same too. But for now, this is what it looks like to me.

After a long day at work, trawling through deviantART and seeing the sheer amount of creativity and briliance of other artists just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. On a grander scale, fanart re-affirms my belief in humanity.

[size=85]Hnnnnnnnggggg, the feels.[/size]

Based on my experience, most fandoms are like that. A big, accepting family. Ironically I exclude the Disney fandom, they’re all out to judge you and ship “crack” pairings, and persecute those who do not.

I can easily see how either of those shows could scare kids, they’re pretty mature and violent. I’m always in awe of what they can get under a Y-7 rating. In a good way. :smiley: Legend of Korra would definitely be in that group. It centers on politics, a revolution, themes of fear and self worth, and in the end, to escape punishment and shame, one of our “villains” [spoil]kills himself and his brother[/spoil].

For me my favorite is a toss up between Twilight Sparkle and Rarity. Really hoping Rarity gets more attention in Season 4. But I like all the ponies except for Applejack. I just find Applejack to be a little too cliche & predictable for my taste.

TDIT: Nah, you’re good. Viva Piñata is pretty episodic. (…I never understood that word.) Further piñata talk is behind spoilers to not de-rail this topic.

[spoiler]So yeah, it’s pretty episodic. Fergy stays an irresponsible [size=60](but strangely adorable)[/size] glutton, Paulie still has to get him out of all kinds of nonsense, and Hudson is still ever so popular, taking up the main role in many episodes in season 3. And Banjo… I mean, Franklin, still can’t lie. Well, Langston gets some character development later on that goes past his role as semi-villainous middle-manager, but that’s it, really.

But yeah, the show was cancelled when 4Kids kind of… I dunno what happened, they kind of disappeared. The franchise as a whole is still owned by Rare, though, and it’s up to them if they wanna resurrect it. There’s rumours that they do have plans for either a new Viva Piñata game or a Banjo-Kazooie game after their current project, but as of now it’s uncertain if VP will ever get new episodes. Along with that, some voice actors probably can’t return either because of multiple reasons. I do hope however it gets new episodes… that would be amazing. Or a Banjo-Kazooie cartoon. Goodness me, that’s been a life-long dream of mine.[/spoiler]
Also, yes! I love the fan crafts in the My Little Pony fandom, admittedly. Some plushies I’ve seen are really, really impressive. I’ve heard one particularly skilled fan sold them but did so well that they got a ‘cease and desist’ letter from Hasbro. They do inspire me to make some crafts of my own, which won’t be too hard (I have a nice little idea on how to do it already) but I just lack the material. Can’t sew either. Oh well!

I cannot express how honored I feel that I got ahold of the Hub several months ago, and now I am able to keep up with the ponies as. they. happen. The fact that I got to see the world premiere of the Season 4 opener is so cool to me! Bottom line: I loved it to pieces. Again making me laugh, intriguing me, exciting me, and making me cry a bit :slight_smile: [spoil]And you can’t not love seeing Luna’s transformation! Being there for something we know so well as a part of the MLP mythology! Oh, and seeing Discord again is always fun; nice to kinda know that he’s not entirely entirely reformed :mrgreen:[/spoil] And yeah, I’m one of the crazy people who is totally cool with Twilight being a princess, so seeing how she handled the weight of the world on her shoulders is epic.
And also… [spoil]“I mostly dream of frosting! Sweet, delicious frosting…”[/spoil] oh, Pinkie Pie, you are so great… 8D
So with an opening like this, I highly look forward to the excitement and adventures to come in this season. The MLP magic is truly undefeatable :slight_smile:

I quite enjoyed the season’s opening! [spoil]Especially Discord in the maid uniform. :laughing:[/spoil] But really, I’m just glad the show’s back. I really missed it. :smiley:

Why am I seeing My Little Pony versions of pop culture characters on Google Images? (I.e. The Incredibles, for example)

I just don’t get that at all!

^ The My Little Pony fandom is HUGE. From what I’ve seen, making pony versions of other characters is a fairly popular thing to do in that fandom.

Its nice that MLP came on just in time to patch the hole LoK left in my heart. Loved the opener, one week after LoK’s finale. :frowning:

I watched the first two seasons on Blu-ray now, and can’t wait to get my hands on the next one.
Who’d have though this silly premise would actually turn out that amazing?

Favourite episode so far:
“Mmmmmystery on the Friendship Express”, this one is up there with “Spaceballs” as one of the greatest movie-spoofs ever :mrgreen:

Oh, and Disney should totally hire Daniel Ingram to score one of their animated musicals…

What a coincidence that you post about this the the very moment I decide to check this place out again. I remember debating with TDIT in this thread 4 years ago!

Good times.

I’m glad you enjoy it totoro. It’s seriously one of my favorite animted shows.
My favorite episode is “Power Ponies”, but that’s in season 4.

Also, if you have netflix, they have the first 4 seasons already on. :slight_smile:

Season 4 isn’t complete yet though, right?

Good question - flixsearch only lists the season numbers but not individual episodes.
And of course availability once again depends on the region.
Germany only has 3 available, for example.

This september marks my 3 years as a Brony.