My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Nope. And the reason - Hasbro wanted a new toy set to be promoted. So in order to promote the new toys and also keep an emotional core to the episode they made some… strange decisions. Like Twilight having a brother we’ve never actually heard of or a Foll Sitter we never heard or seen either (although I can give this one the slip since people don’t really talk about babysitters they had years ago that often).

Uhhh… both. One. Neither! Really what the show is about is taking a character with certain personality traits and throwing challenges that are contrary to those traits at them to see what happens. The show very rarely resorts to violence. It’s the last resort sort of thing. But I will admit the Season 2 closer does not fit that bill very well. I can say, however, that Humor has been a staple of the show. It’s not the center of it (It’s those challenges I mentioned that are) but the humor keeps it lighthearted and lifts things up when scenes are getting a bit uninteresting or too serious. Overall though I think the show could be classified more as a “slice of life” / “sitcom” thing - just with colorful horses as the mane cast rather then a guy in a little town called Belair or some guy who does a home & gardening show inside of a show.

Ya, the composer Daniel Ingram makes some pretty good music for the series, and “This Day Aria” is no exception in my opinion. It was super hyped because of how big of an event it was… for the show, for Twilight as a character, and for Hub. It introduced 2 new (what may appear to be important in the future) characters into the cast. Twilight had to stand up for her own opinion in the face of humiliation from her friends and she basically became royalty. For the Hub this was poised to be their first huge set piece for the channel - and it succeeded by becoming the second highest rating the channel had ever gotten. [spoil]the Tori Spelling cliffs were a little annoying though. Man she SUCKS at reading a script.[/spoil]

So while I’m in the topic, it’s time to cover this week’s new episode - Too Many Pinkie Pies:
(Oh, and here’s a link to the episode in case you haven’t had a chance to catch it: youtube.com/watch?v=-_lIjLwhsfQ )

So I actually thought this was a pretty good episode.
I can understand some people finding loop holes, but when it comes to Pinkie I’ve given her character some lee-way. She’s known things about the Everfree Forest that no one else knew before… so to me to slides. The thing about the hidden door in the bookshelves was a little tacky though.
I’m not a huge fan of Pinkie but I thought her character development was pretty good in this episode too… like really accurate to how one would feel in the situation. It was also a really fun episode. tons of sight gags.
Honestly liked it better then the Crystal Empire 2 parter… This season started weak but this episode has me optimistic that it’s only going to get better. :slight_smile:

The 3rd season premiere was okay though it was kind of the same storyline I’ve seen before. Maybe if Sombra would have actually gotten more screen time he would have come across better as a villain. On a related note, I wish Celestia would have allowed Luna to help, as I think she deserves more screen time too. I mean, I enjoyed it as a whole, I was entertained by it.

I just spotted thedriveintheatre’s profile picture and I literally went “OH MY GAAWWWWD!” 8D That part was truly amazing.
(I wasn’t sure if I should post this here or on the “who has the best avatar?” thread, but I figure more people would understand over here so… ya.)

Oh, and while we’re mentioning King Sombra and the episodes he was in…

As put by the artist: “I think Sombra’s attitude sums up the lack of dialogue. He seemed to half-bake the whole villain thing.”

(Original: whatsapokemon.deviantart.com/art … -338035076)

haha! That is SO how it happened!

Well, I finally gave in. I finally gave in and decided to watch the first two episodes just to see what all the hype was about. Needless to say, I’m hooked. I’m about only halfway through the 1st season though, so I still have a lot of catching up to do. I was surprised that it’s as good as it is. I mean, it’s well written, and the character development is some of the best I’ve seen as far as modern children’s cartoons are concerned. And Pinkie Pie is officially my favorite character. She just cracks me up! I kinda want to start collecting the mini figures, but I don’t want my room to be covered in them like it’s covered in Simpsons stuff. I’ll probably work something out. Anyway, I’m off to watch the next episode!

^ Good on ya! Nice you gave it a go. What’s your fave ep so far?

Pinkie Pie’s little_chef’s fave pony too, if I’m not mistaken.

My favourite of the Mane Six’s Fluttershy. Which brings me to today’s exciting news

<Yay.

That’s awesome. Fluttershy is too adorable and wonderful.

Haha, glad she’s your favourite too! :slight_smile: Is she your fave of all the ponies or just the Mane Six?

Fluttershy is my fave of the Mane Six and Derpy of the background ponies. If I had to pick one ultimate one, I can’t decide!

I suppose OC-wise, it’d be Sibsy’s Wildfire off the top of my head, although there are many others on deviantART that I like too.

I’m not really into OC’s or back ground characters. Out of the speaking roles I like everyone, though AJ and Rainbow Dash kind of annoy me. I also really like Big Mac.

Rainbow Dash annoys me too! She’s way cocky for her own good, I was glad she got taken down a notch in the Mysterious Mare Do Well episode. :slight_smile:

I’m kinda okay with AJ. Big Mac’s cool too, his rant in Ponyville Confidential was a real shocker, haha.

Those are two of my favorite episodes! Especially Mysterious Mare Do well, so many Batman:TAS references. <3

Whoa, according to all her fanart on DisneyCreate, I thought everyone loved Dashie! :open_mouth:
But hey, I get where you guys are coming from, no worries. I myself am I fan of all the Mane Six. And yeah, I actually completed the entire series and the Equestria Girls movie as of two weeks ago! I love myself this show too much :3 All the episodes are great and I am very excited for the new season! (And yes, I love Equestria Girls… don’t hate before you give it a shot!)

I haven’t seen EG yet. I am excited for the new season. I like all of the mane six, as in I don’t dislike any of them. AJ and Dash just annoy me sometimes. I like most of Dash’s personality, I just wish she would drop the blow hard aspect. Much like Korra, from Legend of Korra. 8D But Korra seems to have out grown that annoying personality trait.

IV: Some fans think Mare Do Well also spoofed Darkwing Duck. Just search 'em on YouTube, there’s tons of mash-ups! :smiley: Would you recommend Batman: TAS? I think I watched it as a kid and was terrified of a few episodes. Probably appreciate its dark nature now as an adult.

I haven’t seen EG either, but that’s 'cos I’m holding out for a cinema release in Singapore to go support it. I could technically watch a bootleg copy or order the DVD from Amazon. I was even tempted to buy it at Bronycon, but it was sold out when I returned to the booth the next day. Good thing too, dunno whether the region code would’ve worked back home.

What is it about AJ annoys you, out of curiousity? I was seriously annoyed by Dash’s arrogance too, but she seems to be learning. I absolutely love that moment where she goes easy on Fluttershy and actually tries to comfort her in Hurricane Fluttershy. You can see she’s developing her empathy, and I love when characters evolve and change their nature across the seasons. It really feels like you’re growing along with them, and it’s utterly refreshing compared to “Everything back to status quo” shows like Family Guy or The Simpsons, where the characters never learn their lessons or change.

OWP: Lemme ask you a question: Is Rainbow Dash Best Pony? :slight_smile:

If not, who’s your Best Pony? Haha.

I hated the idea of EG at first, because they squandered the opportunity to go with an epic fantasy storyline in lieu of a boring high-school drama. But then I saw some people who actually love it (I don’t know if they were being sarcastic or in jest, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt), and now I’m willing to give it a go, if just for completionist sake.

Besides, one of my mantras is don’t hate something till you try it. I cringed when I found out these teenagers and adults love MLP: FIM, and then I gave it a shot and ended up loving it! So hopefully the same thing will happen with EG for me.

At the very worst, I could always invoke fanon discontinuity. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

I didn’t know that about Darkwing Duck! But the Mare Do Well posters are replicas of the Batman:TAS promo posters! I would definitely recommend it, its in my top 3 shows easily. I dislike that AJ never has the lessons at the end; she remarked in one episode “But, I already knew that!” I know it’s a joke, but it seems insincere to me; everyone can improve. And she reminds me of some very annoying people who live in my state. Even Rainbow Dash shows improvement, as you mentioned. I don’t dislike an of them, I just have my preferences. I’m still giving EG a chance, I’m just taking my time, as I’m still cautious about it. 8D

WeLoveFine actually made a shirt about that! :wink:

As for annoying people, well, yeah, I suppose you have good eggs and bad hats in every community. Or is that good hats and bad eggs?

Anyway, I think AJ embodies the positive aspects of the can-do attitude and friendliness of cowboys… though she’s not particularly sympathetic towards zebras or buffaloes initially, haha. Good thing she (and especially Applebloom) become friends with everyone in the end.

I need to see those Mare Do Well posters in the episode again, but that’s a very interesting find! I’m sooo impatient with Hasbro Singapore, one member of a local brony group asked a representative if the film is ever getting a release and he got a yes. But so far, no news. :frowning:

Anyway, have some funnies. Congrats again, Frootershai! You’re awesome, yay.

/casually shows up

I’m not at all surprised Fluttershy got chosen as fan favourite. She’s my favourite too. :stuck_out_tongue: Along with Pinkie.

But I’m afraid I can’t really say much else, since I don’t watch the show a lot! I sometimes see it on TV but that happens sporadically… all in all, I’m much too occupied with Viva Piñata which I wish was more popular than it is now. |D

MLP isn’t my favorite either. I like the Avatar series’, Batman and Gargoyles more. But I still watch MLP.

Badger: Ohmygawsh, youse a Flootershai fan too? :smiley: Squeeee

I hope you’re not spoiling yourself by watching MLP intermittently. There are some critical episodes (or what I call “character milestones”) that are pivotal to some ponies, usually the Mane Six. Like Wonderbolts Academy. Or any of the season finales, which usually involves Twilight.

I’m not sure if that’s the same thing with me for Viva Pinata. I reckon it is a “everything back to status quo” show, much like The Simpsons or Family Guy or CSI. But if there’s an arc for some characters like Fergie or Horstachio, I hope I don’t ruin it by hopping around! :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as I know, VP has been cancelled? Are there any plans to resurrect it?

IV: I really really really need to watch Avatar, seeing how excited you are for the new season for Korra.

I remember watching Batman and Gargoyles as a kid and not understanding the episodes. In fact, I was terrified by a few of them! :slight_smile:

One of my favourite experiences as a fan of MLP: FIM is the fandom. Of course, every fandom has its bad hats, and there are a few I’ve encountered who are even bigger ***holes than the ones in Pixar’s. But the majority of bronies (or pegasisters, or “fans of the show”) are good people. I’ve been fortunate to meet one of them IRL at Bronycon, and it was great to hang out and talk about not just about candy-coloured equines, but also our shared life experiences.

And, of course, there’s the fanart. MLP: FIM has the most number of cutest, darkest, craziest, silliest fanart I’ve ever come across in my life. I mean, I’m sure there’s some crack Doctor Who shippings, a few Pixar trailer mash-ups and some saucy Dragonball Z erotica, but the scale and diversity in FIM’s is unprecedented. What other fandom has people making plushies of OCs, or coding entire fighting videogames, or organising nationwide conventions in which you invite the actual voice actors of the show?

And this is one which is barely three years old. Not decades-long communities like the Trekkies or Whoovians.

I dunno. Maybe if I wandered more in other fandoms, I’d think the same too. But for now, this is what it looks like to me.

After a long day at work, trawling through deviantART and seeing the sheer amount of creativity and briliance of other artists just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. On a grander scale, fanart re-affirms my belief in humanity.

[size=85]Hnnnnnnnggggg, the feels.[/size]