Pixar Undergraduate Program

Yeah. I was contacted just this evening to set up an interview.

cool i just got the call a few hours ago… pretty nervous

me too, was called today

congratulations on getting an interview.
Out of interest, do any of you have your work online so we can see the standard they are looking for to give an interview?

I’m in the uk so assume the internship isn’t open to me, but I’m interested to know what level i would need to be at anyway

The larger one shows the detail in the shaders so I’d recommend watching the larger version even though it is 160MB+…

It’s linked from my website at [link removed]. Any comment/suggestions/criticisms are helpful.

Edit: Sorry guys, my bandwidth went way up and I can’t host it on that server anymore, so I took the link down[/b]

looking good to me. What position did you apply for?
With the animation of the lamp, I did notice that there was no connection with the ball before it moves.

The crater was a video copilot trailer right? There is some awesome stuff on that site

Great stuff.
I really like the dinosaur.

@St_Jons

Pixar Undergraduate Program, its for freshman and sophomores who don’t really have that much experience but are considering a career as a TD at a production house. As for the animation of the lamp, yeah… it was a class project and all we needed to animate the ball moving. I finished that pretty fast so I decided to do a little extra. Thanks for pointing that out though.

The crater was from another school project (high school) and we were showcasing the arts at my school. Don’t really know what you mean by “video copilot trailer” but we did do it as a trailer for an arts showcase at my school. We won at BestFest America for that video and had our work screened at a film festival in San Diego.

@fungastoons

Thanks! Any chance your work is on the web anywhere?

I gathered it was for students with not a great deal of experience, but being Pixar, I figured the competition would be pretty fierce.

My bad, I meant video copilot tutorial, not trailer. By that I meant videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_crater_p3/

Its a site full of tutorials for after effects and 3d softwares. Theres some pretty awesome stuff on there, and your piece with the crater looked very similar to their tutorial where they teach you to create a crater. I just thought that you may have used it as a guideline when creating yours.

Not right now. I’ll try and post it Monday (got a super slow internet connection this weekend)

I do have a couple pieces that were in the demo reel here though:
[url]http://vimeo.com/9749844[/url]
[url]http://vimeo.com/5395528[/url]

I’m thinking in retrospect, that I should have had some more shading/lighting stuff.

hi all

i also aplied for the Pixar Undergraduate Program
i stil didnt heard anything, so i dont know if thats a good thing or not.
im from europe by the way

last year i aplied fot the production internship, i a got an rejection email on
april 3rd.
i see that some of you alredy got an email back if you got an interview or not. and some of you got a rejection email, a couple of weeks ago
so my question is

do you guys thing they’ve alredy handeld all the rejection mail and are now handeling all phone interviews

hope to hear from someone here

thanks

it doesn’t look like they’ve sent out all of the rejections but I’m pretty sure they made final decisions for PUP because I got my acceptance on Monday!

Really! Wow congraduations
what kind of stuff dit you put on your resumé?
Do you have like a lot of experience with 3D software?
and ar you a freshman at collage.?
When did you heard that you are choosen for the next step
When dit you got your interview?
And what did they all asked?
When wil the program start?

You can see that i have a lot of questions
its just, because i didnt heard anything from them

CGI - All the best to you in securing a position at Pixar Animation Studios at some point! I hope that you’re accepted sooner rather than later.

weirdykid - Well, what do you know. Congratulations to you!

– Mitch

Thanks!

As for my resumé: education (classes I’ve taken), work experience (mostly my programming jobs and CG stuff), Awards (academic scholarships and prizes/honors at film festivals) and then the software packages that I’m experienced with as well as the programming languages I’ve used

As far as experience with 3D, I started at the end of my junior year of high school and took a class over the summer, so I guess I’ve been using Maya for 2 years. I recently started rendering on renderman since UC Berkeley (where i’m attending) has renderman licenses.

Yes I am a freshman at UC Berkeley. GO BEARS.

I was contacted for an interview on April 5, had my interview on April 13 and accepted April 19.

They asked about the technical aspects of my demo reel. What was I most proud of on the reel, how certain stuff was done, render times for some more complex scenes, etc… There were 7 TDs from different departments, so everyone knew their stuff and I got to ask them a few questions. It was awesome. I probably sounded really nervous and I know I could have answered the technical questions better, but I guess i did well enough.

Program starts June 14 and runs through August 20. Not sure when the production internship starts though.

Best of luck!

Di you also got acepted Mitch?
And if so, can you help me with these questions
that i asked werdykid

Thanx weirdykid! For aswering all
my questions.
Wow that sound verry impressive all.
I dont have all those experiences.
I only worked with Maya for a couple of times
and had a 7 weeks 1 day a week course at my
school. I go to an art academy.
Where i study all THE aspect of animation
execpt the animating. And thats why i wanted this internship because
they learn you stuff.

Oh well i just wait and see. I dont have much Hope now that im hearing
that al these people are acepted, and the month april is getting later and
later. I dont hope that because im an international student, i have less chance or something.

Can you maby help me to some good Maya tutorials?
And other stuff that might help me

Edited. I combined both of your posts and added several dashes in-between your reply to me and to weirdykid. – Mitch

weirdykid - Although your answers were directed at member CGI, they were also helpful to me, so thank you!

CGI - Unfortunately, I have never even applied for an artistic position at Pixar Animation Studios. The work I have done is primarly traditional (with some Photoshop CS2 work thrown in), and my level of “expertise” is at… college level. My apologies for not being able to help you out in that respect. My apologies would be to continue to ask around and do further research on the subject.

Both of my parents are animators and have worked in the business for over thirty years, and, although they have never worked at Pixar, they have worked for Disney, Nickelodeon, Don Bluth Studios, Warner Bros., and many other companies. If you have any questions that you’d like to ask them, I’m sure they would be more than happy to answer them. =)

– Mitch

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you, CGI.

And congratulations, weirdykid! You must be so excited!

Wow! Congratulations weirdykid!!! What an honor! You are so close now to becoming an actual employee at Pixar.

Just a question: Do we know of any old members of Pixar Planet that have moved on to become an employee at Pixar?

Maybe weirdykid will be the first!

hey guys

i still havent heard anything
do you guys think that they will also accept people who doent have a lot of expierence with the 3D programs?