Red's Dream

For 1987 the art on this short is incredible, especially considering what they worked with.

I liked it because i respect the work that had to be put into it in such an early time in animation, but in comparison to the newer shorts, obviously they blow it out of the water.

I had not seen this short until I came to pixar planet. Very different. Feel bad for Red, though the clown was a bizarre bit of animation. great for 1987 though. I like the detail from the rain in the beginning. Way ahead of it’s time.

This one definately stuck me as unique. Sad? Yes, but it wouldn’t have the same effect either way. Too bad that Red, or any other aspects of the short, lived on as cameos or anything.

Possibly Pixar’s most bittersweet and melancholic piece. And unlike Wall-E, we never really found out whether Red earned his salvation, or he was doomed to eternal obscurity in the back of a bicycle store. :`-(

He also said, at the end of the audio commentary, that the Spaniards loved this short. :laughing: :laugh: 8D :mrgreen:

Even sadder is that this is like the black sheep of Pixar shorts and gets left out a lot. A while ago, since this was one of the only Pixar shorts that didn’t get put on a feature film, it would be fitting for it to be the short for Toy Story 3, since they both deal with being forgotten and outgrown as well.

The music is wonderful and also sad…

And the ending of this makes me cry every time. Every time.

Wow!! I’ve never see it before…I thought it was good. And Red himself reminded me a lot of Luxo Jr. That clown was ugly. Anyway, I thought giving it a sad ending was very creative. :slight_smile:

I always liked the distinctly noir-ish build up to this one, with the jazzy music and gloomy setting. It’s quite a charming little short, though the ending breaks my heart every time (not that I don’t appreciate the pathos, and Pixar’s ability to make us genuinely feel for the faceless little unicycle). I keep hoping that Red will pop up somewhere in the mise en scene of a future Pixar film, if only to soothe the closing pain a little. It’s so sad just leaving him to stagnate in that clearance corner. :cry:

Well, the end leaves room for imagination. That’s what Pixar does for us, it encourages us to be better, be creative. I wrote my own happy ending :slight_smile:

Wait, is this about Red from Cars?

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=yMAZmaKNjpw

:smiley:

8D Haha, okay. The first link didn’t work for me, so I had to ask. ^^That one did though. Thanks! :slight_smile:

You’re welcome. :smiley:

Oh, I agree that this one is sad, yet, it is one of my favorites! That Red is so so very cute! :3
I honestly think they should make a movie off of this and have Red decided to leave the bike shop to pursue his dream of performing! And along the way, he accidently runs into a guy who wants to ride a unicycle in the Tour De France… the last thing Red wants to do! But he ends up somehow befriending the other bikes and eventually gets to live his dream! Just an idea… and they could do it! Who knows? Maybe it could be a graphic novel…

I built a LEGO replica of Red. I actually have quite a few, if anyone wants to see.

Dude, that would be so cool! I’d love to see that!

I’ll get a picture at some point. In the mean time, see and comment on my Luxo ball!

Obessed, here you go! One badly, shakily shot video of Red wheeling around on Marvel’s Toy Story graphic novel.skydrive.live.com/?cid=dab0c6ed … A749%21711

Where’s the video or link? It didn’t come up… anyway, I saw your other Lego creations and I think they’re awesome! I wish I had some Legos now… :slight_smile: Thanks for wanting to put it up!