Rise of the Guardians

I might get to see this later this week with a friend! :mrgreen:

I hope you get to! :slight_smile: I might not have the chance now.

I might not have a chance too if the cinemas pull this from their screens. Most cinemas would update their showtimes for the week on Wednesday, so I’ll check their websites tomorrow. Very slim chance, though, and I’m more inclined to catch Jackie Chan’s CZ-12 as I have already set my eye on seeing his action swansong in theatres.

Is what Jack Frost went through in this movie called existential? I’m still not quite sure what it means, but going by some of what I’ve read, it seems like that word can be applied to Jack’s journey throughout the movie.

I suppose it could. [spoil]At one point of Jack’s 300 years of being Jack Frost, I’m sure he must of entertained the idea that if people can’t see him, he doesn’t exist.[/spoil]

I saw it today, not expecting too much. But I enjoyed it! Artistically it was my favourite animated film of the year. The animation of Sandy and Pitch’s horses? And Tooth? Blew me away!

Story wise, it left something to be desired. I felt it was cliche and had some loopholes.

But overall, it was a really fun film. I laughed a lot, and even got sad at some parts too. And it had Hugh Jackman Easter bunny. How can one not appreciate that?

I did however like WIR, Brave, and The Lorax more.

As I mentioned on the Movies thread, I saw Rise Of The Guardians and CZ-12 in a marathon movie session on Friday.

I went in with low expectations, and while Dreamworks didn’t quite hit the ball out of the park for me like Disney did with I’m-Gonna-Wreck-It-Ralph, it was still a pleasant one-and-a-half-hours of my afternoon. I watched it in one of the smallest screens at the city’s cineplex, and I was in two rows from the front and to the side, but it was still a packed hall even on the movie’s last legs!

I’ll write a more detailed review and post it here and on my Tumblr when I can find the time, but all I can say is that Baby Tooth is probably the most adorable character of any movie from last year. The ways she and Sandman ‘talk’ are strokes of brilliance from Dreamworks not seen since Wall-E and Eve’s wordless dialogues.

^^I had a similar opinion, TDIT.
No Dreamworks film has ever really connected with me. I thought it was the pop culture but even the films without it just don’t hit with me. I really think it is the animation style. It’s not that it’s CGI; I loved Wreck-It-Ralph. It’s just some niggling little thing about the style that I just can’t get over. If Dreamworks changed their style slightly, I think I could really like their movies. Am I alone in this? Is it just me?

It’s not just you, Flame, I get whatya mean. I mentioned a similar opinion in another Dreamworks film’s thread, The Croods. You can click the link to read it, but basically it’s something about their eyes.

I didn’t find the children’s eyes as terrible as I expected from posts here and the trailer, I thought they were kinda okay. Of course, the Guardians, being the protagonists, had the most expressive peepers. And can I just say that [spoil]baby Bunnymund[/spoil] is the second-cutest film character of the year for me?

Glad to see it’s not just me. I knew there was something fishy! :bulb:

I have similar sentiments. It wasn’t a fantastic or brilliant movie, especially when compared to some of this films predecessors at Dreamworks. But I still enjoyed it.

Especially Bunnymund!

I agree, Bunnymund was a hoot for me, especially when he’s voiced by the wicked Hugh Jackman.

[size=85]You’re a bloody legend, mate![/size]

I mentioned in the Movies thread that I saw a poster ad at my local DVD store trumpeting Dreamworks’ $300m worldwide box-office takings. Here’s the same ad in an entertainment magazine:

It’s a pity that the US domestic earnings didn’t break even. Criminally underrated, it’s one of the most earnest and childlike (in a good way) film by Dreamworks in a long time (the regular film reviewer at the paper I work at even preferred it over WIR).

I loved this movie they really made the characters connectable. I was skeptical that this was going to be pulled off well. I was so wrong. I went with my friend who is a kindergarden teacher and we both really loved it. The story was well put together. Characters were really what they were suppose to be and just as well put together with the voice acting. I think one of the biggest draw backs sometimes with some animation films with big name actors as the voice actors. The whole time I listen to the father in Croods I couldn’t help but think the whole time nicholas cage. The Easter Bunny in this movie I know it was Hugh Jackman but the voice fit the character. Nicholas Cage doesn’t sound like a caveman and too sophisticated of a voice…

I love the settings and how they even built the secondary characters up with in the movie so you could connect on an even deeper level. I didn’t feel like they were just there. They were more like the minions in Despicable Me which made the movie better because they aren’t just moving scenery.

It’s like what Pixar does with it’s non main characters too. Giving them enough for you to want to know more or enjoy them as part of the story not just… there.

This is a very good point.

This is without a doubt my absoulute favorite Dreamworks animated film. It’s funny, it’s story is great, the animation is fantastic. But why is it my favorite? The fantastic characters! I love them all especially Tooth she is so funny! The villain is well constructed too, and all the characters have their funny moments. Why did this have to flop instead of Madagascar 3? Don’t get me wrong Madagascar 3 was funny, but was fairly standard Dreamworks unliked the totally original movie that was Rise of the Guardians. I want more Dreamworks movies to be like this. It was the best animated film of 2012. Even better than Brave!

^I’m happy to hear that this movie has such dedicated fans, it definitely deserves it.

Seen this one recently (Twice! Once in English with my parents and the other one in Dutch, while I was in the bus on my way to camp. Both dubs were good, except that the Dutch one sounded… pretty forced, like most Dutch dubs. Sigh. Oh well.)

And we all enjoyed it! The second time, I just about lost it because some kids were acting like ‘cool guys’ and believed a movie wasn’t worth watching if it didn’t have blood and swearing. UGH. But guess what? They still enjoyed it in the end! If only people would keep their opinions 'til they’ve actually seen a thing, gosh darn it

Anyway! I loved the movie. The characters and their designs were memorable and the graphics were pretty. It had enough funny moments as well without them being obnoxious or out-of-place. Random, but I particularly liked how Pitch’s lair’s entrance was under an old bed. Like how the Boogeyman hides under beds. xD

It also should be funny to mention I saw a (very good) Jack Frost cosplayer when I went to the Elf Fantasy Fair a few weeks ago. I said to him ‘I still believe in you!’ and he was all like ‘YES! YES!’ It was the best part of my entire day. 8D

Also, I’m having a hard time not confusing this movie with Animal Logic’s Legend of the Guardians because of their titles. :astonished: Luckily the Dutch titles are more distinctive.

That is so funny! 8D

Didn’t notice that! I must watch it again.

Bwahaha, I should do a crossover of this! :smiley: How do the two titles read in Dutch?

omg that’s amazing!

I like it alright. Very nice visuals and I like Jack Frost. My mom says Sophie (the little toddler girl) reminds her of me when I was little.