Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Wow, that was epic. (instant favorite).
I haven’t seen the movie yet, but my mom got me the six books as an early birthday present because I’ve been begging her for them. Unfortunetally I can’t start reading them until I finish my school reading book, but I am super excited! :smiley:

I saw it today. It was indeed an “Epic of epic epic-ness”.
I loved it so much.
And at the beginning, when it [spoil]says “Toronto, Canada” onscreen[/spoil], several people in my theatre cheered.

I love Micheal Cera, he’s always playing awkward yet adorable and loveable characters, and Scott Pilgrim was no exception.

It’s so hard to pick a favourite part, but mine would have to be [spoil]everytime his hat randomly appears on his head,[/spoil] and [spoil] when he asks Julie “How are you doing that with your mouth?”[/spoil]

This movie was probably the best one I’ve seen in theatres this year, not including TS3, of course.

[spoil] Vegan Police.[/spoil]- That is all.

I’ve been itching to see this, but I still need to read the books, and that would put me on the “only read the books after the movie came out” associaton list, which I don’t like. Then again, being PG-13 I honestly doubt my parents would take me to see it anyway… :unamused:

Leirin: What. Aren’t you in college…? That’s what I always assumed, at least. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m younger than you, actually. :blush:

Leirin: Wow…I never would’ve thought that, honestly. You talk and act like an adult, have your own website, etc. I always thought you were roommates with Cafechan…:stuck_out_tongue:

Ha-ha! :stuck_out_tongue: Well, I’m flattered, actually. Cafechan’s in college now but she still lives at home with us. You talk and act a lot older than your age too. :wink:

It’s only PG here in Canada, that’s why my dad let me see it alone with a friend.

I thought it should’ve been PG-13, it was mildly adult, nothing too terrible, though.

It’d be kind of an awkward film to see with your parents, though.

I saw it yesterday with a friend, and I loved it. I loved the creativity of the fight scenes and the video game styles, as well as all the references. (My friend freaked out every time they mentioned the Chaos Theater, because she’s a huge Earthbound fan. XD) I also loved the quirky characters and how different their everyday lives are to the cartoonish style of the fight sequences.

I’m a fan of EB too, the Chao Theatre thing had to be pointed out to me by Bryko. :smiley: Some of the online ads were also using one of the fonts from EarthBound.

I still haven’t seen the movie, but I’ve read 3 of the 6 books so far. Book #4 you will be mine!
Scott Pilgrim quote of the day: “What kind of idiot would knowingly date a girl named Knives?” -Ramona

Book 4 is the best in the series, just sayin’. It really holds up well on its own.

i LOVE the movie! ive seen it twice already and i have the soundtrack >3< everyone i show the soundtrack to hates it! i LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!
i havent read the books yet though -3- Soon i shall
Theres a site were you can make you own avi in Scott form its awesome ^^

Rating: Awesome! :smiley:

heres the link ^^ scottpilgrimthemovie.com/avatarCreator/

Wow you were right. The fourth book is my favorite, at least so far.

EDIT: I just finished book 5. Dang it! Only one more left XXXXXD

At the insistence of my brother, I finally watched Scott Pilgrim yesterday. Much like Sucker Punch, it’s a hit-and-miss for me. The movie’s manic ADHD-pace really irked me in the beginning, but I slowly got into the groove of things. My brother explained (since he’s watched it before) that it’s meant to feel like you’re reading a comic book, and some of the framing, shots, and visual effects (speed lines, expression bursts, chapter headings, etc.) is certainly reminiscent of the medium.

The storyline, again like Sucker Punch, got pretty repetitive. If you haven’t heard the premise, our hero protagonist Scott Pilgrim is in love with a serial hair-colour changer named Ramona. Unfortunately, he happens to be dating a 17 year-old Catholic schoolgirl named Ellen Wong, and this love triangle forms one of the major plot points. Anyway, in order to win the heart of Ramona, he has to battle her seven exes in increasingly ridiculous duels of death.

By the time he reached the fourth ex, they simply introduced the last three in one scene. In fact, two of them fight Scott at the same time by virtue of the fact they’re twins. Which makes me wonder how possible it was for Ramona to date both at the same time unless it was a mutual agreement or she was two-timing them.

Anyway, the repetitive nature of the challenges (although each is unique in their own way) kind of makes it difficult to establish a three-act structure. There’s a secondary plot arc of Scott’s band competing in a battle-of-the-bands championship, but this just merely sets us up for the twist before the grand finale.

I also get a ‘hipster vibe’ from this movie. Generation Y kids are probably gonna love the film’s constant use of American teenspeak and the Looney-Tunes style violence. The Generation X folks would dig the retro game and computer visual and sound effects (I recognised the old Apple bootup sound as a handphone message alert at one point), as well as the liberal characters (there are two gay characters in this story, one of whom is Scott’s roommate who disturbing invites his many lovers into their shared bed). Baby Boomers and film critics would most likely be scratching their heads and saying a phrase that rhymes with ‘butt fur truck.’

I personally enjoyed the meta-references and ‘breaking of the fourth wall’. It feels like a Quentin Tarantino movie meets a wushu epic written by a 15-year old video game nerd. The message at the end of the movie of self-respect before loving others is also powerful and wonderfully executed.

I didn’t like how aloof Ramona’s character was, and how she dismisses Scott’s questioning of her fidelity or her commitment to the relationship. In my opinion, Scott would’ve had a better and more loyal girlfriend in Ellen, if only she wasn’t such an insecure ‘clinger’. Scott himself is endearing and neurotic like much of Michael Cera’s characters. You want this guy to win and get the girl.

But Kieran Culkin steals the show as Scott’s gay roommate. His self-effacing humour and constant advice-dispensing makes his character very empathetic rather than the standard ‘sissy’ homosexual stereotype. Also look out for Chris Evans as a celebrity actor who apparently had fake trailers featuring him used as promotional footage for the film.

The score’s a mix of electronica and video game beeps and boops, interspersed with Scott’s band performances. The rock numbers are awful, both from a lyrical and melodic perspective, but I think this was intentional to parody melodramatic and melancholic teenage music.

Overall, Scott is a visually-inventive and aurally-daring show. People below 25, comic book fans, and video-game enthusiasts will get a kick out of this. Anyone else will probably be thoroughly confused by the restless pacing and over-the-top fight sequences. As I’ve said, I was extremely annoyed with how the film gives very little ‘breathing room’ and time for contemplation or pensivity; characters walk in and out of scenes with no establishing shots, the screen splits more often than an episode of 24, characters mumble their lines at the machine-gun speed of an SMS message… I had a hard time keeping up. By the time I was halfway through, my brain was on autopilot and my eyes were glazed over. Younger folks who have stronger multitasking capabilities and probably lack the patience to sit through any pre-80s movie can stay with the plot better than I did.

Rating: 3 out of 5 ‘1-Ups’