Something I don't get

The space ranger training idea sounds the most plausible in my opinion given the points presented. Regarding him jumping after Sid to get the soldier, well in the cartoon he was a ‘hero’-cum-soldiercum-policeman was he not and saved people and maintained the peace? I think there was something about that being the top priority of space rangers about spreading peace throughtout the galaxy or something, so SAVING someone, especially a soldier, a fellow man in arms would mean he was willing to break that ‘rule’ even if he believed it was an important one. But ONLY when strictly necessary. A kind of rule where you’re only supposed to break it under certain circumstances. And also when he thought he could get back to ‘space command’ etc.

It kind of also makes you wonder, was the whole toys not realising they’re toys thing a new thing only ever a problem with Buzz lightyears and it had never happened with any other brand of toy? And where did this delusion come from anyway? That’s another question I wonder about.

The delusion is apparently exclusive to that brand. At least, the only delusional toys shown are the Buzz figures and Zurg.

But why? That’s a very interesting question.

I assumed it was a natural reflex that even he couldn’t understand.

It could be assumed the army men are “delusional”, the way they act so respectful to their authority like Woody and everyone, and have codes and procedures, and even though they acknowledge Andy growing up and all, they say “Their duties’ done” so maybe they just saw their whole life as one big mission

It’s part of a toy to be somewhat in character. Woody acts like a cowboy, Slinky acts like a dog, Rex wants to act like a dinosaur. The difference between that and Buzz is the fact that they all know that they’re toys.

Yeah, I’ve always wondered that too actually. Maybe because of the way he’s settled in with the other toys.

Didnt utility belt Buzz say that the Buzz Lightyears are in hyper sleep?Thats the reason why they dont know that their a toy. They’re frozen.

I guess my theory was correct.

When Lee Unkrich was asked about Rex coming alive in the moving van in front of Woody, this was his response:

Additionally, he confirmed that the Squeeze Toy Aliens don’t know that they’re toys, and it’s by instinct that they always freeze. Though, Sid’s Alien must’ve realized he was a toy at some point.

I watched Toy Story recently and another idea just came to me.
Toy instinct is probably it, but in addition to that Buzz, who doesn’t know about this instinct, doesn’t ever seem to question why he freezes when humans come by.

Well in Buzz’s mind, he’s on another planet that he doesn’t know of, and supposedly the conditions are weird. He also refers to Andy as their “chief”, so maybe he thinks of freezing in the presence of a much bigger creature as a sort of cultural tradition they have on this planet, like a sign of respect to always listen and never talk back to giants.

Yes, that’s what I figure. But I’ve always tough it would be nice if they addressed that in a short line.

I think its instinct, but that they also have the ability to control the instinct if they want to. As for Buzz, I think he thought it was something he been trained to do at “the academy” or whatever. Which sort of explains scenes where he almost came to life in front of people; for certain “missions” he didn’t think it was nessacary (sp?) to freeze when humans were around. I have no idea if what I just said made any sense at all…

Oh, and about what utility belt Buzz said about being awakened from hypersleep, I think that actually means the first time they wake up after they get taken out of their box, because didn’t Buzz say something about being awakened from hypersleep when he first came out of his box?

I have Lee Unkrich’s Twitter, maybe I should ask him about all of this.

Maybe he thought it was apart of their “culture”.

Yes, I have always wondered this question. I think that it most likely is instincts.

Again, going back to the moving van scene, it’s instinct. The scene where the toys, fully alive, react to their box being opened in the moving van was thought to be a mistake, but it isn’t. Lee Unkrich explains that it’s some kind of sense that the toys have; had it been a human, they definatley would’ve stayed frozen.

Again, the Toy Story world is made so that it COULD be our world. Toys would have have so many “rules” so that no one would suspect anything. Heck, since Sid was apparently the first person to see toys alive, they must’ve been doing a pretty good job.

Yes, I agree with everything you said.

Then why didn’t they know Andy was coming upstairs and needed the baby monitor?

They would have froze due to instinct, but the warning was about where they were in the room…if u were downstairs and u came upstairs and all your stuff was in the wrong place, it might freak you out…

Yeah, that’s the whole “back to your places” thing. They needed prior warning to get back in time.

I always thought that in a scene off-scree, Buzz saw em doing it (that sounded wrong :laughing: ) so he just “went with the flow”